What Are You Listening To?

khaos

9 hours ago, navybsn said:

And on to Eternity. This is where Anathema lost the doom. Beautiful album, gorgeous sound, and starting to incorporate some weirder elements that will go on to play a big part in their later alt-rock turn. I believe Vincent is on vocals at this point. I think it's a weird middle ground tbh between what they were and what they would go on to. Definitely my least listened to album in the discog.

Judgement - more of the same. A little better developed. Some definite Pink Floyd vibes on this one. I will say that Fragile Dreams is my favorite mid-period and possibly overall song by them although Scars of the Old Stream is right there. 2nd least spins.

I won't bother with any of the rest of the discog. Fine Day is my favorite of theirs but full on Radiohead worship at that point. And tbh, I prefer new Anathema to old. I guess I let my affinity for everything post 2000 color my impressions of the whole Peaceville 3. After a good 2 day marathon, I think I'd rank them as such:

MDB - best overall for doom, most consistent (well if you throw out 34.788%).

Anathema - although strictly based on the strength of the post 2000 stuff.

Paradise Lost - Not a big fan. Draconian Times and Gothic are the only 2 I've ever cared for and I stopped somewhere around One Second. Their earlier doom phase is a little choppy at times. Their turn around One Second never did it for me and I was off to other fields to play in. Can't say I've given them much second thought since or even a fair eval the past 2 days. Listened to a few tracks from Obsidian and it's decent. Might have to go through the whole catalog to see what I have missed. But not tonight.

NP: Green Carnation - The Acoustic Verses

Very interesting rundown sir. It's good having you back even on a limited basis.

I love Paradise Lost, Shades of God (1992) was at one time considered to be my favorite metal album of all time, and it reigned as my #1 for many years until the late 00's when I got into black metal and discovered Inquisition. NDO has been my #1 GMAOAT since '07/'08. I like most PL even the electronic Depeche years, although I can't say I ever actually reach for those late 90's early 00's albums. I generally go for Shades, Icon, Gothic or Requiem. Or the one from 2015 that I can't ever seem to remember the name of. I don't reach for PL as often as I once did, but that string of 3 in a row in the early 90's still blows me away. Draconian not so much, although I have come to at least not hate it anymore like I did when it first came out and I literally threw it in the bin in disgust.

But I haven't really listened to the other two bands not being much of a doom guy. I tried with MDB years ago because they receive much praise from all quarters but it never really stuck. I did latch onto this one song of theirs called A Kiss to Remember that I remember really liking a lot, but when I listened to a bunch of their whole albums overall their music just bored me. It's the kind of thing I'll listen to if someone else puts it on and I'll say yeah this is pretty cool, but I wouldn't ever reach for it on my own.

I know I've sampled some random Anathema tracks years ago and even stuff from their supposed good early albums didn't do anything at all for me. Haven't heard any of their more recent post 2000 stuff, the terrible reviews about how lame it is have kept me away.

Navy while you're here, I think you might be the guy who'd enjoy this melding of black metal and electronic post punk. It's one of those things you'd think I probably wouldn't like, but for whatever reason I really do.

Ebola - Distorted Romance 

11 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Very interesting rundown sir. It's good having you back even on a limited basis.

I love Paradise Lost, Shades of God (1992) was at one time considered to be my favorite metal album of all time, and it reigned as my #1 for many years until the late 00's when I got into black metal and discovered Inquisition. NDO has been my #1 GMAOAT since '07/'08. I like most PL even the electronic Depeche years, although I can't say I ever actually reach for those late 90's early 00's albums. I generally go for Shades, Icon, Gothic or Requiem. Or the one from 2015 that I can't ever seem to remember the name of. I don't reach for PL as often as I once did, but that string of 3 in a row in the early 90's still blows me away. Draconian not so much, although I have come to at least not hate it anymore like I did when it first came out and I literally threw it in the bin in disgust.

But I haven't really listened to the other two bands not being much of a doom guy. I tried with MDB years ago because they receive much praise from all quarters but it never really stuck. I did latch onto this one song of theirs called A Kiss to Remember that I remember really liking a lot, but when I listened to a bunch of their whole albums overall their music just bored me. It's the kind of thing I'll listen to if someone else puts it on and I'll say yeah this is pretty cool, but I wouldn't ever reach for it on my own.

I know I've sampled some random Anathema tracks years ago and even stuff from their supposed good early albums didn't do anything at all for me. Haven't heard any of their more recent post 2000 stuff, the terrible reviews about how lame it is have kept me away.

Navy while you're here, I think you might be the guy who'd enjoy this melding of black metal and electronic post punk. It's one of those things you'd think I probably wouldn't like, but for whatever reason I really do.

Ebola - Distorted Romance 

I'll check that out. Description does tick the boxes.

I'll admit that I never much got the hype for MDB. Tried a few times over the years and just never took to them. But what has often happened to me over the years is that after I see a band live, especially when it's a great show, I find i have a different take on the band. Doesn't always happen, I've seen a bunch of bands that still do nothing for me, but some finally "click" as much as I dislike that phrase.

I've seen Paradise Lost several times and have walked out mid-set every time. They're just kinda bland live. I've tried with Katatonia and it's a straight nope. Masters Hammer, Borknagar, Eyehategod, the list goes on. But occasionally I get a MDB, Dodheimsgard, Satyricon, or The Chasm that just all of a sudden work where before I was somewhat ambivalent. I've had the opposite happen to where I really liked a band then saw them live and came out less enthused. And then there are some I only enjoy live, Evoken comes to mind.

Back to the Peaceville 3, as @JonoBlade mentioned, some of this hasn't aged well. Going back through the discog for Anathema really changed my thoughts on their early output. They have moments but it's less impressive than it was years ago. The early PL stuff sounds mediocre at best to me. MDB strikes me as the best application of the style and still sounds relevant. I've yet to find anything of theirs I won't buy. If I didn't already own everything Anathema, I probably wouldn't bother with them (pre-2000 that is). Btw @GoatmasterGeneral, you would probably hate their later stuff but A Fine Day to Exit and Hindsight (acoustic reinterpretation of their back catalog) are the highlights for me. A Natural Disaster is good too. None of it even remotely metal however.

I do want to investigate PL's "Depeche Mode" era as you described it. Reading through their wiki last night has me intrigued. Host sounds interesting and apparently they have a side project that is continuing in that vein. And I did like what I heard on Obsidian, so more effort is warranted. I'll go back and listen to Shades again too. I've seen you mention that before. Skipped it last night.

15 hours ago, JamesT said:

A HUGE thumbs-up to any mention of Jungle Rot!  Love those guys.  Their last few albums have all been thoroughly enjoyable.  Being a groove metal guy above all else, I think it's that element of Jungle Rot's sound that holds my attention without fail.  Gonna jam to these guys on my way to the office tomorrow morning!

I enjoyed Kill on Command from 2011. Actually, that's the only Jungle Rot album I've ever heard. 

On 2/3/2024 at 7:42 AM, JonoBlade said:

It's my favourite one too, although I'm not that familiar with the discography.

Certainly a great vocalist, backed by phenomenal guitar work. Loomis should really start something new along the lines of Nevermore as chief songwriter because he was wasted in Arch Enemy.

Yes, he was wasted in Arch Enemy. Nevermore has too many slow songs, and his solo work is a little dry (almost too much random riffing and solos).

I would love to see him team up with Kerry King's new project. Can you imagine?

2 hours ago, Necrolord said:

I would love to see him team up with Kerry King's new project. Can you imagine?

Kerry King's Slayer Mk II is terrible. Judging by the promo teaser Orca posted anyway. Every bit as rubbish as Arch Enemy or post-2000 Slayer. Don't think the addition of Loomis would be enough to save it.

NP: Unaussprechlichen Kulten - Häxan Sabaoth, Chile

25 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Forlorn Hope - A Debt Paid in Blood EP (2024) {the Netherlands}

Suitably evil black metal, and from the Netherlands of all places, not A nation who’s metal scene I’m even remotely familiar with.

Cirith Gorgor, Carach Angen, Urfaust, Funeral Winds, Asagraum, Duivel, Iskandr, Ossaert, Asgrauw, Kjeld... Lots of good shit from the Dutchies.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Cirith Gorgor, Carach Angen, Urfaust, Funeral Winds, Asagraum, Duivel, Iskandr, Ossaert, Asgrauw, Kjeld... Lots of good shit from the Dutchies.

Well with so many countries pumping out exceptional bands there’s bound to be a few blindspots in my collection, no pun intended.

NP: Type O Negative - World Coming Down