What Are You Listening To?

khaos

5 hours ago, Arioch said:

I'll have to listen to This Godless Endeavor again. You've suddenly made me want to. And also The Obsidian Conspiracy.

I put The Politics of Ecstasy and Dead Heart in a Dead World on a pedestal, but I have to admit that I started to lose interest when Enemies of Reality came out.

Nevermore was a band I was a big fan of. Very strong in the arrangements of the compositions, able to putting a foot in Thrash at times and Warrel's voice was really original.

It's already 7 years since he left us. R.I.P Warrel Dane! 🤘🥲🤘

Glad to hear my comment rekindled a desire for you to check out "This Godless Endeavor" again!  It's such a good album.  "Psalm of Lydia" is my favorite track, and it was actually the very first track I ever heard from Nevermore, and I was hooked from then on.  

Once you've listened to the album again, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. 

13 hours ago, JamesT said:

Great call with that Nevermore album!  "This Godless Endeavor" is my favorite from them, although "Dead Heart in a Dead World" and "Politics of Ecstasy" aren't far behind it.  Dane had a unique voice - such a shame that we lost him so soon.

It's my favourite one too, although I'm not that familiar with the discography.

Certainly a great vocalist, backed by phenomenal guitar work. Loomis should really start something new along the lines of Nevermore as chief songwriter because he was wasted in Arch Enemy.

Ok, back in the country post metal cruise. Full report incoming. Note: I'm at risk of losing my goat metal cred after 5 days of Euro weenie metal, but I have to say it was fun as always. Also, much of my report will be heavily effected by copious amounts of mojitos and mai-tais so don't judge too hard.

NP: Blind Guardian - Memories of a Time to Come

So here goes:

The Good

Sodom - the only bucket list band on the bill. I honestly wasn't expecting much. I mean Tom is like 143 years old and looks more like a ring wraith than a metal god these days. Sat next to him at breakfast one morning and literally thought the guy could drop dead any minute, but once on stage he was as good as ever. They fuckin ripped live. 2 full sets with just about everything you could want to hear. They didn't play Obsessed by Cruelty or Witching Metal, but pretty much everything else. All of Agent Orange, Outbreak of Evil, Sodomy and Lust, The Conquerer, Nuclear Winter... Unreal dude still rips this hard at his age. I'll see them 2 more times this year, but they were definitely the highlight for me.

Blind Guardian - I'm not a power metal guy. I start and end with Helloween. So not expecting anything going into this. They were a co-headliner I guess so they got prime times. Have to say that I was completely blown away. This stuff kills live. Hansi can sing his ass off and the 2 guitarists shred. Bombastic, theatrical, a bit cheesy, but tight as hell and badass. Caught both sets. Would definitely catch them again given the chance.

Saor - Scottish folk black metal with flute and bagpipes. I know, wtf? But shit works live.

Skyforger - Latvian folk black. Best new discovery of the week. Apparently been around since 95, but I'd never heard of them. Really good live. A bit more black than folk based on their set. Unfortunately I only caught 1 of the 2 sets. These dudes really don't like Germans which was quite funny considering about half the boat was from Germany.

Unleashed - good old comfort food for the soul. Meat and potatoes swedish death metal. I've never seen them live before and they were great. Caught both sets.

Blood Red Throne - nasty death metal from Norway.

Batushka - no idea which version this was officially but it was the guitarist's version. The schtick is kinda tired and I much prefer the Cult of Fire take on this type of metal but I have to say this was pretty good live.

My Dying Bride - ok I said Sodom was the only bucket list band on the bill, but I lied. MDB are one of those bands I liked back in the day but haven't listened to in forever. I always preferred Anathema out of the Peaceville 3 and they're the only ones I usually go back to. Mistake. Jesus Christ on a pogo stick this was the heaviest thing I've seen in a long time. Just crushing. Forgot how much they fell on the death metal side of the spectrum. Have to give them props as the only ones still playing the style. I've seen Paradise Lost who I like a good bit, never seen Anathema. MDB is the one I want to see again (and will at MDF). Bonus points for playing my favorite tune - The Forever People. Ran into Aaron coming out of the bathroom. Dude's like 9 feet tall. Cool mofo too.

The guilty pleasure: Epica. Now I will say that my only impetus to see Epica was Simone Simmons. Holy God she's smoking hot. Like Hall Pass approved hot. And I'm a sucker for redheads, so I had no choice but to sit through a set (or 2). Straight up Disney princess metal but it works really well live. Chick has some ungodly pipes. The band was tight and a good bit heavier than I expected. Bonus points for the sparkly black skin tight bodysuit. By far the only person on the boat I wanted to run into, but no such luck. Probably saved me a lot of headache with Mrs. Navy.

The Ridiculous: Nanowar of Steel. There's always a few joke bands on the bill. I guess that stuff is big in Europe. Pirate metal, Troll metal... This year it was Dwarf metal and then these guys. By far the most fun of the weekend. Completely ridiculous and unhinged but a 10/10 show. A Wham! cover, a wall of love in the pit, lead singer dressed as Father Guido Sarducci... just insanity. Their song "Norwegian Reggaeton" is permanently stuck in my head (don't click the link and say I didn't warn you)

The Pedestrian:

The Halo Effect - newer Gothenburg DM from one of the original In Flames guys. Not bad, not special.

Crypto & Nervosa - I'll lump these together. Brazilian death/thrash. Enjoyable sets 

Pentagram (Chile) - old school shit from South America.

Lich King - pizza thrash from Massachusetts

Graceless - meat and potatoes from the Netherlands

Avulsed - filthy shit from Spain.

The "Oh God make it stop":

So many fit here but the only one most people would know was Katatonia. I've been tricked into seeing these pukes 3 times now only because some of the other dudes were really into there old stuff. Admittedly I did have The Great Cold Distance back in the day, but fuck this is so bad. I made it 1 song, which is slightly more than the last 2 times. I'd rather have syphilis than have to sit through another minute of these guys for the rest of my life.

Second place goes to the city of Miami. What a total shit hole. I didn't expect much and got even less.

Anyway, first fest of the year is in the books. I enjoyed it even if I feel like pounded ass this morning. 2 more coming in the next few months (Hell's Heroes and MDF) and possibly another in the fall (Metal Threat). The lineups get better with each fest, but some good takeaways from this one. Can't say I can recommend 70K, but it is well run and fun, just ridiculously expensive. Spent more money on this than the other 3 fests coming up combined, and that was before the bar tab. So back to listening to Blind Guardian to get this power metal shit out of my system.

7 hours ago, JamesT said:

Glad to hear my comment rekindled a desire for you to check out "This Godless Endeavor" again!  It's such a good album.  "Psalm of Lydia" is my favorite track, and it was actually the very first track I ever heard from Nevermore, and I was hooked from then on.  

Once you've listened to the album again, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. 

I'm listening to it right now.

At the time, I mainly remembered the first two tracks, Born and Final Product, but not the following ones at all.

Now, listening to them a few years later (I'd say well over 15 years), I'm rediscovering emotions and it's true that this album is really good!

My Nevermore top 3 could well look like this:

- Dead Heart in a Dead World
- The Politics of Ecstasy
- This Godless Endeavor

Thank you for talking about this fabulous band, who died too soon.

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

It's my favourite one too, although I'm not that familiar with the discography.

Certainly a great vocalist, backed by phenomenal guitar work. Loomis should really start something new along the lines of Nevermore as chief songwriter because he was wasted in Arch Enemy.

Yes, it is!

Jeff Loomis wasted quite a few years in Arch Enemy, where he was muzzled by Michael Amott.

It's going to be very difficult to get a band in the vein of Nevermore, especially without Warrel Dane, but let's hope Jeff does something great!

20 hours ago, JamesT said:

Politics of Ecstasy

The Seven Tongues of God into This Sacrament may be the best 2 opening tracks on an album ever. Loomis + Dane was an absolutely great combo.

NP: My Dying Bride - As the Flower Withers

MDB - Turn Loose the Swans

I am much too lazy to go back and multi quote so instead, I’ll just rattle off the things I want to say here:

One. Navy congrats on making me insanely jealous, MDB our second only two Death as my all-time favourite band, and I’d give what is left of my eyesight to catch them, live one day, I also hear BG are great live so it’s good to know from someone with firsthand experience. That’s the case if they ever make their way down under.

2. For me Neon Black is peak Nevermore though I will admit that’s largely because that was the first of their albums I ever heard, godless endeavour is second and politics of ecstasy is third in my books.

3. Hell yeah James MDB have the best discography out of the Peaceville three, it’s not flawless, but there are a lot of high points in there.

NP: Fuck…I’m Dead - Another Gory Mess 

3 hours ago, navybsn said:

Ok, back in the country post metal cruise. Full report incoming. Note: I'm at risk of losing my goat metal cred after 5 days of Euro weenie metal, but I have to say it was fun as always. Also, much of my report will be heavily effected by copious amounts of mojitos and mai-tais so don't judge too hard.

So here goes:

The Good

Blind Guardian - I'm not a power metal guy. I start and end with Helloween. So not expecting anything going into this. They were a co-headliner I guess so they got prime times. Have to say that I was completely blown away. This stuff kills live. Hansi can sing his ass off and the 2 guitarists shred. Bombastic, theatrical, a bit cheesy, but tight as hell and badass. Caught both sets. Would definitely catch them again given the chance.

Blood Red Throne - nasty death metal from Norway.

The Ridiculous: Nanowar of Steel. There's always a few joke bands on the bill. I guess that stuff is big in Europe. Pirate metal, Troll metal... This year it was Dwarf metal and then these guys. By far the most fun of the weekend. Completely ridiculous and unhinged but a 10/10 show. A Wham! cover, a wall of love in the pit, lead singer dressed as Father Guido Sarducci... just insanity. Their song "Norwegian Reggaeton" is permanently stuck in my head (don't click the link and say I didn't warn you)

Sounds like you had fun, and handily solves the cruise ship problem of having seen and done everything by the second day. Joke bands like Nanowar of Steel always weirded me out a little, but I do sort of get why somebody would enjoy them. I've seen Gwar a few times when I was younger. I just never understood the idea of getting tacit permission to laugh at your own ridiculousness. I don't really need a deliberately goofy band schtick for that. I mock myself quite enough in the real world as is.

I think I saw Blood Red Throne once way back when for me. If I recall they and Krisiun did a really good job making the most of an unenthusiastic crowd in a basement venue with sub-par accommodations for that type of sound. Also the person I was with was starting to get scared as more people who were there to see the headliner shuffled in. It was more the neighborhood than the fault of the headliner in question who I wasn't particularly keen on seeing either, but I've been to so many shows in seedy venues at this point I sometimes forget how it feels to be so far out of place and outside your comfort zone. Regardless I actually did eventually take the hint from the poor girl and we left about halfway through the headliner's set.

Sorry. Looking at that now I realize that has almost nothing to do with Blood Red Throne. Sometimes seeing those long time bands with a great work and tour ethic can make for some of the most unexpectedly excellent shows if the crowd starts to feel it, and Blood Red Throne strike me as just that type of band.

Lich King - pizza thrash from Massachusetts

Oh no. Absolutely not. This can not be what we're calling this stuff. Good God, no. That hurts my head. If that's what we're calling it, just make sure that label stays online only. I don't think I could endure hearing that spoken aloud. 

41 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Oh no. Absolutely not. This can not be what we're calling this stuff. Good God, no. That hurts my head. If that's what we're calling it, just make sure that label stays online only. I don't think I could endure hearing that spoken aloud. 

Pizza thrash is just an offhand slander of modern thrash bands more obsessed with partying, beer, and pizza than nuclear Holocaust. Lich King may or may not fit that description quite right but they're in the same category as Toxic Holocaust, Municipal Waste, etc. It's been a thing in the states for a while. Quite enjoyed them regardless.

45 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Gwar

Fuckin sucks. I guess that's joke metal I as far as the band sucks. At least the version I've seen post- Oderus. Never got the love for them even when he was around.

NP: Skyforger - Semigalls' Warchant 

@GoatmasterGeneral, this one's probably right up your alley

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Fuckin sucks. I guess that's joke metal I as far as the band sucks. At least the version I've seen post- Oderus. Never got the love for them even when he was around.

They were certainly a product very specific to a very brief time in the subculture, that's for sure. I never felt the desire to sit down and actually listen to one of their albums since their focus was clearly more about spectacle than anything musically substantial. The live shows (never caught them after Oderus, so I can't really speak to that) were fun though. A lot of that may have been due to them rolling through mid-size cities that most recognizable bands just skipped more often than not. Never underestimate the power of bored people with excess energy and no real socially acceptable outlet to exhibit it I guess.

NP: KRSNĪ - Svoboda

▶︎ KRSNĪ (UZBEKISTAN) - SVOBODA | MASTERS OF KAOS (bandcamp.com)

a1525916853_10.jpg

Black metal much in the vein you'd assume from the cover. Vocals are of the shrill shrieky variety. Guitar is a little repetitive.

Krieg/Ruiner

Chelsea Wolfe/She Reaches Out To She Reaches Out To She (pre released tracks) said to be in a Trip Hop vein which, admittedly I have little familiarity other than a loose connection to hip hop....gothic and electronic with distorted guitars....bringing to mine Zola Jesus...but no doubt will defy classification. One thing for sure, this ain't neo folk. I dig it based on the 4 tracks available on Bandcamp. 

Kampfar/Til klovers takt

Necrowretch/Swords of Dajjal👍

8 hours ago, Arioch said:

I'm listening to it right now.

At the time, I mainly remembered the first two tracks, Born and Final Product, but not the following ones at all.

Now, listening to them a few years later (I'd say well over 15 years), I'm rediscovering emotions and it's true that this album is really good!

My Nevermore top 3 could well look like this:

- Dead Heart in a Dead World
- The Politics of Ecstasy
- This Godless Endeavor

Thank you for talking about this fabulous band, who died too soon.

Yes, it is!

Jeff Loomis wasted quite a few years in Arch Enemy, where he was muzzled by Michael Amott.

It's going to be very difficult to get a band in the vein of Nevermore, especially without Warrel Dane, but let's hope Jeff does something great!

The original Watchtower vocalist was in a newer group called Howling Sycamore that had a couple of albums I really enjoyed in the past few years. He doesn't "sound like Warrel" but listening to that stuff made me think he could pull it off. Not many could.

I loved Nevermore. It took me a long time to warm up to anything they did after Dreaming Neon Black. Still kinda think that's their best. Everything after that sounds like plastic to me. But I have come to enjoy Enemies and Godless.

6 hours ago, navybsn said:

The Seven Tongues of God into This Sacrament may be the best 2 opening tracks on an album ever. Loomis + Dane was an absolutely great combo.

NP: My Dying Bride - As the Flower Withers

MDB - Turn Loose the Swans

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

MDB marathon continues. Mrs. Navy did not appreciate Skyforger but seems to tolerate this.

The Angel and the Dark River

The Light at the End of the World

The Dreadful Hours

I agree with everything posted here.

GWAR - Scumdogs Of The Universe is the only album I need from them. Not amazing but pretty fun. No point seeing them live and getting spattered with crap for me though. I kinda recall having this conversation with Navy a while ago, too.