What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

SVDESTADA - Yo Soy El Mar

....here you go WhiteNoise.....don't know if you've heard this one or not, but I think you will find it every bit as good as the last two....

You never steer me wrong Marko. It's almost like you know what I like better than I do I think sometimes. The last two were right up my alley, I'm sure this one will be a banger as well. 

Cabinet - Part III: Get in...(Enter the Cabinet)

Cabinet - Claustrophobic Dysentery 

More 2023:

Big/Brave-Nature Morte-experimental drone/noise/doom-I've had this all year-mesmerizing experimental drone noise album

Outer Heaven/Infinite Psychic Depths -uh, death metal-big fan of this one

Scowl/Psychic Dance Routine (hardcore)

Thy Catafalque/Alföld  -progressive metal-a heavier affair than the last one

Ne Obliviscaris/Exul-prog black

PASSÉISME – Alternance -melodic, ecstatic BM, think I'll pick this one up

Rezn/Solace (rock)

Gel/Only Constant/Hardcore

Year of the Knife/No Love Lost-hardcore/metallic hardcore-want to revisit this

Lamp of Murmuur/Saturnian Bloodstorm -just grabbed this on Bandcamp-BM with a strong Immortal influence on this one which suits me fine

Boris/Heavy Rocks (2002)-Boris has put out 3 "heavy Rocks" albums and the 2002 version is the best. I've been looking for a copy for years but it was out of print. Thanks to Chris Voss's list on Nine Circles. I learned that in 2023, they finally released Heavy Rocks from 2002 on vinyl, CD and streaming. In the early 2000's they were mostly playing drone. Heavy Rocks started their exploration into heavy psyche stoner rock and it's awesome. This is a great entry point for their pull no punches rock style before they started experimenting with post/gazey genres, hardcore and the like. Now, I need them to rerelease Dronevil from '05. 

https://boris.bandcamp.com/album/heavy-rocks-2002

54 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Lunar Aurora - Of Stargates and Bloodstained Celestial Spheres (1999)

Lunar Aurora - Zyklus (2003)

I have no earthly idea how I ended up with either of these perhaps the most forgettable black metal I’ve ever heard

That happens to me a lot. My tastes have changed significantly over the decades and I'll often listen to something I know I used to like at some point in the past, and wonder what I cold have possibly been thinking.

NP: Orgy of Carrion - Everlasting Blood of Night, rbm from Massachusetts 2020

Guerrero Nómada -  Vida Cementada Enterrada en Sueños Muertos, black metal Mexico/Chicago 2024

Hexvessel - Polar Veil, folk/psychedelic rock, atmospheric/post-black/doom metal from Finland. Well that's a mouthful, just took that off the description on the video so I can't speak to how true any of that is. Just thought I'd try something from ME's list. It's not extreme metal, but this is actually quite good. The cleans don't even annoy me because the dude can actually sing. Basically Doom metal with jangly guitars (the jangly guitars totally make this) I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like this. But I don't normally listen to a lot of doom. Cool find Macabre, I'm digging this in the early morning hours. Kid's school is on a two hour delay this morning for icy road conditions, so I have time to listen to a couple things before I have to get him ready.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:52 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

He was rage quitting anyway. Unfortunate situation all the way around when a daily posting forum regular incurs the wrath of the ban hammer. I've had dozens of battles with Deadly-do-Right over the last 8 years, some of the shit he says and positions he takes can frustrate me to no end. And yet on some level I like the dude, consider him a friend. Wish I had his email or phone number to keep in touch. Too late to get it now I guess. But realistically I probably wouldn't have bothered keeping in touch with him anyway.

Seems we've lost Serpico and his daily bad album covers now too, which is a real shame. And my boy Zach hasn't posted here since last February. Definitely should have gotten his details when I had the chance. Hungarino's been pretty scarce of late. Navy steps away from the forum for months at a time. It's not easy keeping a forum together. TB Suzuki enthusiast joined up and was posting hot and heavy for a week or two, then he went quiet. My Finnish Cum Blaster scrobbling buddy from last summer must've been less than enthused over the board's overall lame taste in music (except for my filthy kvlt aesthetic of course) and he lost interest and wandered away. And whatever happened to Sweets? He just vanished into thin air one day last year too. And then of course there's the Orca. Just our luck, him we can't get rid of, eh Doc?

Disappointing that Deadman was ousted. I sometimes got the feeling that he really needed this space as somewhere to vent his frustrations at work and in domestic life. The forum was providing a mental health service.

He rarely crossed the line in my opinion (or I must have missed the offensive posts that got him banned), and was far better behaved than on the Metal-Fi forum. Sometimes I had to do a double take on something outrageous, but I put it down to him having had a bit too much to drink or an off day. Most of the time he was well structured.

I'll miss that bag of smashed crabs and I would urge the gatekeepers @MacabreEternal to reconsider.

42 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Disappointing that Deadman was ousted. I sometimes got the feeling that he really needed this space as somewhere to vent his frustrations at work and in domestic life. The forum was providing a mental health service.

He rarely crossed the line in my opinion (or I must have missed the offensive posts that got him banned), and was far better behaved than on the Metal-Fi forum. Sometimes I had to do a double take on something outrageous, but I put it down to him having had a bit too much to drink or an off day. Most of the time he was well structured.

I'll miss that bag of smashed crabs and I would urge the gatekeepers @MacabreEternal to reconsider.

Hey Jono, all interesting context but when the ban hammer falls for some right-wing, bonkers socio-political, offensive and generally ill-conceived posts, then that is it.  Worth noting that we agreed as a collective moderator group on this one, that's me and  @RelentlessOblivion @FatherAlabaster

If it were up to me (which it isn't - the site owner would make that call) anything political or such would be removed regardless of the level of contention in the post.  Just a slippery slope that we have all seen go tits in the past over the ten years plus that some of us mods have been here and so Metal Forum is a better place without it.  

No problem with you voicing your opinion on it though Jono and we do value your thoughts.

Just to add my two cents....I think Deadly is the kind of person who once banned would never come back even if we begged him. Even when after several warnings FA publicly told him to cool it lest he be forced to discipline him, his response was fine go ahead and ban me I'm done. I'm sure he feels he's been treated unfairly as any of us would if we were banned from a forum we had been a daily regular on for a couple of years. But I do remember him saying he'd been banned from lots of different places online so this seems to be his M.O. He says his piece and lets the chips fall where they may. And quite often those chips land him on the receiving end of the ban hammer.

I really wish it hadn't come to this, but at this point it's water under the bridge, a done deal, he's gone. And they say they did warn him several times, they tried to give him some leeway and the benefit of the doubt but he wouldn't take it, the stubborn bastard. I'm no angel, FA had to warn me one time and remove a post he found personally offensive, but he never had to warn me or delete one of my posts again. Some people need to learn to take a hint. No means no, stop means stop. Like my 9 year old for starters.

And believe me I do quite like to argue politics myself. I'm extremely opinionated and it can get heated at times. So I've just had to find somewhere else on the internet to do that. I don't personally see why it's such a big deal, but they've made it pretty clear they don't want that kind of thing here. And like it or not we all need to respect that.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Just to add my two cents....I think Deadly is the kind of person who once banned would never come back even if we begged him. Even when after several warnings FA publicly told him to cool it lest he be forced to discipline him, his response was fine go ahead and ban me I'm done. I'm sure he feels he's been treated unfairly as any of us would if we were banned from a forum we had been a daily regular on for a couple of years. But I do remember him saying he'd been banned from lots of different places online so this seems to be his M.O. He says his piece and lets the chips fall where they may. And quite often those chips land him on the receiving end of the ban hammer.

I really wish it hadn't come to this, but at this point it's water under the bridge, a done deal, he's gone. And they say they did warn him several times, they tried to give him some leeway and the benefit of the doubt but he wouldn't take it, the stubborn bastard. I'm no angel, FA had to warn me one time and remove a post he found personally offensive, but he never had to warn me or delete one of my posts again. Some people need to learn to take a hint. No means no, stop means stop. Like my 9 year old for starters.

And believe me I do quite like to argue politics myself. I'm extremely opinionated and it can get heated at times. So I've just had to find somewhere else on the internet to do that. I don't personally see why it's such a big deal, but they've made it pretty clear they don't want that kind of thing here. And like it or not we all need to respect that.

Unfortunately Macabre is right on this one. In the decade or so we have both been here I would say 2/3 of political discussions, whether they are about inflammatory topics or the mundane, just end up in screaming matches with neither side willing to give any ground or end the discussion. while I do enjoy talking politics from time to time,  I don’t think it is healthy for the forum, particularly with how charged the political landscape is these days. Our job as moderators isn’t to be the thought police, but we also don’t want MF to resemble Twitter.content…

NP : Spite Extreme Wing - Non Decor, Deco (2003)

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Well said, both from you and @MacabreEternal

I want to clear a point up with you though. The issue wasn't that I or the other mods were personally offended by your post, or Dead's posts or whoever. We let a lot of "objectionable" stuff stay up as long as it's part of a reasonable discussion people are having in good faith. Most everybody here has never and will never get a PM or a warning from us. But sometimes we have to use our judgement about it, and there's some stuff we just can't have on the forum. It's not about our personal feelings; we also have to think about everyone who comes through, even if they're just a lurker looking for a song they used to like or someone dipping their toes into a metal community for the first time, and we've got to do that considering the overall goals the owner has for the place. I don't expect all of you to have those considerations in mind every time you post, but it's part of the job for us.

Kicking out a longstanding member of your Metal-Fi group was not something we decided lightly or quickly. Macabre and Relentless have already said their piece about it and I agree with both of them, but here's mine. Dead would still be here if he could have left the violent rhetoric and bigoted comments out of his posts. He posted a bunch of other annoying crap and had a bunch of doubtless fun and fulfilling arguments on the back of it, and nobody handed him infractions over it. If he cared enough about talking with you guys, he could have swallowed a small amount of his pride, left the anti-Asian/anti-Aboriginal comments and "we need a society where everyone who doesn't follow my rules gets executed" bullshit at the door, and he'd still be here telling us all about how metal has lost its teeth and needs gatekeepers while posting Lamb Of God albums. All I asked him to do was edit himself. He was more interested in pushing to see how much he could get away with. He's not the first person to do this here and he doubtless won't be the last. I'm sorry for you guys that feel like you lost a friend but he wore out his welcome fair and square. 

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

I don't think I've ever seen you express an opinion.

What you really mean to say is that you don't like the way I express my opinions. You've said this to me several times before. And that's fine Vic, you don't have to. But we all express our opinions every time we open our mouths or start typing. You just don't like that I don't preface everything with "in my opinion" I just come right out and state my opinion and then I proceed under the assumption that my opinion is fact. Because to me these opinions of mine are facts, that's why they're my opinions. If I didn't really believe these statements to be true, then I'd have to change my opinions wouldn't I.

But you see Orca when my statements are concerning something subjective, (as many of them are) then I feel it should go without saying that they're just my opinions. Everything I've ever said here about any album or any band or anything to do with sub-genres or dissonance or progressiveness or even comments regarding food or drink or how it's too damn hot to live in Australia are simply my opinions. Obviously. You're always free to speak your mind and disagree, as is anyone else. If you think I'm wrong tell me, maybe I'll see things your way. Maybe I won't, but it's worth a shot for the sake of the debate.

And let's not kid ourselves, you yourself have stated plenty of erroneous opinions as facts, (as most of us have) and I've always understood these to be merely your opinions. And we're all entitled to our silly little opinions Orca, no matter how absurd or misinformed or just plain wrong they may seem to others. Wouldn't you agree?

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Well said, both from you and @MacabreEternal

I want to clear a point up with you though. The issue wasn't that I or the other mods were personally offended by your post, or Dead's posts or whoever. We let a lot of "objectionable" stuff stay up as long as it's part of a reasonable discussion people are having in good faith. Most everybody here has never and will never get a PM or a warning from us. But sometimes we have to use our judgement about it, and there's some stuff we just can't have on the forum. It's not about our personal feelings; we also have to think about everyone who comes through, even if they're just a lurker looking for a song they used to like or someone dipping their toes into a metal community for the first time, and we've got to do that considering the overall goals the owner has for the place. I don't expect all of you to have those considerations in mind every time you post, but it's part of the job for us.

Kicking out a longstanding member of your Metal-Fi group was not something we decided lightly or quickly. Macabre and Relentless have already said their piece about it and I agree with both of them, but here's mine. Dead would still be here if he could have left the violent rhetoric and bigoted comments out of his posts. He posted a bunch of other annoying crap and had a bunch of doubtless fun and fulfilling arguments on the back of it, and nobody handed him infractions over it. If he cared enough about talking with you guys, he could have swallowed a small amount of his pride, left the anti-Asian/anti-Aboriginal comments and "we need a society where everyone who doesn't follow my rules gets executed" bullshit at the door, and he'd still be here telling us all about how metal has lost its teeth and needs gatekeepers while posting Lamb Of God albums. All I asked him to do was edit himself. He was more interested in pushing to see how much he could get away with. He's not the first person to do this here and he doubtless won't be the last. I'm sorry for you guys that feel like you lost a friend but he wore out his welcome fair and square. 

"telling us all about how metal has lost its teeth and needs gatekeepers while posting Lamb of God albums"

I LOL'd. 

"The issue wasn't that I or the other mods were personally offended by your post"

Fair enough, but you know what I meant. Maybe not personally offended, but you personally deemed it to be objectionable and not something you were comfortable leaving up on the board, so you took it down. Obviously requiring a judgement call on your part, and I don't see how anyone could keep their personal feelings and beliefs completely out of it when making a judgement like that. I know I couldn't.

I then pled my case to you in private because I was honestly more concerned that you'd think I was a misogynist than I was annoyed that my entire lengthy post I'd spent hours composing had been lost forever due to what probably amounted to a handful of objectionable lines. Something you might find interesting is after that incident there were a few other lengthy posts I spent a bit of time on regarding various different subjects that I stepped back from to take another look at and ultimately decided not to post after all. 

Thing about Deadly is he was an acquired taste. Took me a long time to stop thinking he was an asshole when he first showed up on Metal-Fi because he posted a lot of nonsense that I vehemently disagreed with. For a long time I thought he was your typical hard-headed, intolerant, narrow-minded, racist, right-winger type and for awhile I used to wish he'd just leave on his own.

But over time I found him to be fun to debate and argue with. And he never seemed to take stuff personally or get butt hurt over anything so he was "safe" to argue with. And we had plenty to argue about as it seemed we disagreed on nearly everything. Others I've argued with in the past have taken friendly banter and offhand comments personally, stuff that wasn't ever meant that way, so I decided it would be best to just stop arguing with them in order to salvage friendships which are much more important to me than debating. I'm sure at times I can probably come off as arrogant and/or abrasive and that's unfortunate because I do genuinely like everyone here. I'm not here to belittle anyone or make anyone feel bad or feel attacked or abused, no friendly argument over music could ever be worth that. I enjoy the community aspect of forumming and I feel like I've made some real friends here, I'm not here to make enemies. I just really enjoy a spirited debate with those who are up for that. And Deadly was certainly up for it. But life goes on.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

What you really mean to say is that you don't like the way I express my opinions. You've said this to me several times before. And that's fine Vic, you don't have to. But we all express our opinions every time we open our mouths or start typing. You just don't like that I don't preface everything with "in my opinion" I just come right out and state my opinion and then I proceed under the assumption that my opinion is fact. Because to me these opinions of mine are facts, that's why they're my opinions. If I didn't really believe these statements to be true, then I'd have to change my opinions wouldn't I.

But you see Orca when my statements are concerning something subjective, (as many of them are) then I feel it should go without saying that they're just my opinions. Everything I've ever said here about any album or any band or anything to do with sub-genres or dissonance or progressiveness or even comments regarding food or drink or how it's too damn hot to live in Australia are simply my opinions. Obviously. You're always free to speak your mind and disagree, as is anyone else. If you think I'm wrong tell me, maybe I'll see things your way. Maybe I won't, but it's worth a shot for the sake of the debate.

And let's not kid ourselves, you yourself have stated plenty of erroneous opinions as facts, (as most of us have) and I've always understood these to be merely your opinions. And we're all entitled to our silly little opinions Orca, no matter how absurd or misinformed or just plain wrong they may seem to others. Wouldn't you agree?

*sarcasm* *smart arse* *shit stirring*

Damn I miss the days of IRC where you could slap someone with a trout!