What Are You Listening To?

khaos

15 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Do they really all have face tattoos or did they just photoshop that shit in?

It's a texture overlay. You can see it in their arms and the background too. Looks something like marble to me. But thinking about a band who all got big purple veiny crap tattooed on their faces is amusing.

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

No. Lou Reed was a prick. It's the Pyramids album I don't hate.

But I guess you were joking rather than accusing me of being in on Reed's stupid and contemptuous jape.

My mistake. No Doc, I wasn't joking this time, you didn't make it clear which band that last paragraph was referring to. I thought you were not hating MMM ironically. A little unexpected plot twist at the end of your quaint little story.

Either way you still uploaded annoying ambient noise that no one will love, not even you. Guess I have no choice now but to go check it out and see what the hell you're talking about, right?

Pyramid - Pyramid, Germany 1976. This sucks, but it's not Metal Machine Music level suck.

Black Pyramid - Black Pyramid, Western Massachusetts 2009. No idea why I'm listening to this right now, I don't even really like this album that much. They're a good heavy riffy stoner doom band but some of these vocals just rub me the wrong way. And for whatever reason I just hate the vocal melody on track 3, Mirror Messiah. This is a bit better than I remembered it though as I get farther in, god damn riffs for days.

Black Tomb - Black Tomb 2016, one and done blackened sludge/doom from New England. WIll there ever be a follow up?

Dopethrone - Demonsmoke, 2009 Motreal Quebec, sludge/doom/stoner. Love these guys, always my favorite sludge band.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

The right one. the re-mix album is better.

They're all ambient nonsense so what's the difference? This one's even worse than the wrong one! They're all wrong. You're a masochist.

But no matter I'm hours past that Pyramid stuff now. I found some sick raw black metal that's really hitting my Goat-spot, but they're pissing me off because the digital is priced at €666 Euros (which is $725 USD or $1,132 AUD) or $30.50 ($48 AUD) for the LP which comes with the digital d/l, there's not even a CD option. Now I'll have to keep checking back for how many years to see if the vinyl ever sells out will they maybe then be inclined to sell the standalone digital at a normal price like some of the older releases. I've gotta get this man, it's the raw black metal album of the year.

Virulent Spectre - Satanic Territorial Moloch, USBM

Virulent Specter - The Black Temple of Omniscient Manipulation, 2021

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I found some sick raw black metal that's really hitting my Goat-spot,

Maaate. Sounds like shit -  on purpose of course - and a 2/4 march beat . And gurgles. At least I admitted that the Pyramids album is annoying. Save your hard earned.

Back to  DÉHÀ - Averses II 😉

14 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Spectral Wound - Infernal Decadence (2018)

I liked the first few tracks I heard off that. When randomly browsing looking for metal I feel like there are certain words I'm drawn to more than others, and this year for some reason I'll bet I've clicked almost every instance of the word "spectral" I've seen. Seems to be working out. Now maybe if they used the word saturnalia more I could begin building an epic collection of spacey sci-fi black metal. Yep. This sounds like a plan. Stay away from "Mercurial" though.

NP: Meet the Mailman - Never Walk Alone

▶︎ Never Walk Alone | Meet The Mailman | Meet the Mailman (bandcamp.com)a0088952784_10.jpg

Okay. I have to admit I got clickbaited into this one. I mean, it's a thrash band called Meet the Mailman. There's no way I'm not finding out what that's all about. It would seem they're trying to build a horror/slasher mythos of an invented character called The Mailman similar to Jason or Meyers or Freddy. It's weirdly charming. They play melodic thrash with some very cool guitar work going on. Single note plucking and thrashing around with those huge open barre chords driving home the anthemic choruses appears to be the go-to formula, but they do occasionally break from it, and the guitarist lays down some beautiful leads. Vocals are kinda dry, but I still prefer them to falsetto sirens any day of the week. Oddly I'm detecting a note or two of early AFI-styled commercial hardcore on some of the melodies. I haven't listened to AFI's stuff for like two decades, but I do have a history with that band and I can still pick out the influence.

15 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

That's the stereotype I was talking about. I don't think it's warranted, doesn't line up with my personal experience, but I know where it's coming from. Are you speaking more as a listener or a player? Is it more to do with bands you don't like or crappy playing that you've seen around at guitar stores and local shows? 

I basically never kept up my practice regimen when I played the guitar. A lot of it had to do with the fact that growing up, while we certainly weren't poor, we weren't wealthy either, and had to rent our instruments. So every time we moved it was a case of not knowing when or if we were going to have access to instruments to practice on. Fortunately we did have a beat to shit piano that I learned on, and can still pretty well keep up with.

Basically I was speaking as a listener, even though I can read music and tablature. There was a long period where nu-metal was in it's hey day that it felt like every piece I might want to learn showed those drop tuned power chords, and eventually you come to realize that it's completely overused. You can practically just work out an entire song by ear when it uses those chords. Granted nobody expects you to just pick up a guitar and play like Leo Kottke, but man those chords are boring.

As far as technical playing goes, you're just never going to get an album/single out of a professional studio because of the way major labels provide easy outs, but you also want something the band can pull off live. Hell the guy from Third Eye Blind could be a musical genius and I wouldn't know because the studio absolutely will take out and and all humanizing flaws in a studio release including removing the sounds of fingers scraping against the strings and all sorts of little things that make a performance what it is. So who knows whether crumby playing is a factor. I'm certainly not going to buy a ticket to Third Eye Blind just to see. 

You could be right that the criticism is unfair, but if it is, it's an unfair criticism born out of fatigue and general despondance to most music these days.

Throneum - The tight deathrope act over rubicon

This shouldn't work, but somehow I like it. This is now a second Throneum album I'm listening to and it's the same odd sound on this one. Kind of sludgy riffs, drumming is at the same time sharp and wild, vocals aren't typical death or black metal either. Overall it feels kind of proggy too. I don't understand half of what's going on, but I still like it.

Other bands that I've been listening to for the past 7 days aren't nothing surprising in my books. Lots of Graveland, Blood chalice, Förgjord, Inquisition, Clandestine blaze, Vomitory, Behexen and so on...

Been listening to a lot of old school black sabbath at work since they only play a bunch of pop songs and like 3 rock songs that are interesting to me. now I'm not saying Krispy Kreme should play napalm death... it would just be nice if they did.

self titled - black sabbath

vol 4 - black sabbath

sabbath bloody sabbath - black sabbath

sabotage - black sabbath

2 hours ago, agamerwholovesmetal said:

Been listening to a lot of old school Black Sabbath at work since they only play a bunch of pop songs and like 3 rock songs that are interesting to me. Now I'm not saying Krispy Kreme should play Napalm Death... it would just be nice if they did.

Self Titled - Black Sabbath

Vol 4 - Black Sabbath

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Sabotage - Black Sabbath

Stick Master of Reality in place of the self titled and you'd have my 4 favorite Sabbath albums. And they hardly seem dated, they're still in the rotation to this day.  Never would have guessed that records I worshipped as a young teenager would still be relevant and listened to by young people 50 years later. Never thought all 4 of them dudes would even still be alive at 75.

10 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Maaate. Sounds like shit -  on purpose of course - and a 2/4 march beat . And gurgles. At least I admitted that the Pyramids album is annoying. Save your hard earned.

Back to  DÉHÀ - Averses II 😉

I know that you don't get it Doc. I think we all understand by now that you have some questionable and very esoteric tastes. And that's perfectly alright my brother boomer we can absolutely still be buddies. Just like most Krispy Kremers probably wouldn't want to listen to Napalm Death while they're buying their donuts and coffee, I'm well aware that the vast majority of people even within the metal community wouldn't like this at all, not one little bit, because they have absolutely no interest whatsoever in this type of crude, raw black metal. To each his own, no one's forcing anyone to listen.

But for those of us who do enjoy this raw barbaric style of black metal, the latest Virulent Spectre album is the tits as they say. So much of the raw black metal I come across is average to poor at best, to utter worthless shyte at worst. Many lesser bands have tried and failed to achieve a raw sound this ugly that works as well as music as this VS. The vocals here are exemplary for the style, the kind of thing all raw black metallers should be striving to achieve. I'm not really hearing 'gurgles' as you assert, which is a sound I associate more with death metal vocalists. There is even an audible bass present, but still I'll admit there could've been more of the low frequencies represented in the mix here. But that's a small quibble when it sounds this fucking good overall. This is the elusive 'good shit' that I hunt high and low for. It's what I hope to hear every time I click on a new raw black metal record, but seldom do. This one's a certified clit toucher and I will be surprised if this doen't land in my top 10 or 15 come the end of the year.

That Pyramids album isn't really annoying so much as it's just pointless. It's like there's no there, there. I'm sure there must be some good reason that certain people have for enjoying ambient music. But I'm quite sure I have no idea what it could possibly be. But again, to each his own, you do you.

As to your Déhà, this isn't bad at all. As atmo-black goes this is pretty damn good, I'll have to come back to this one later tonight after dark when it's atmo time. 

NP: Deiquisitor - Apotheosis, Danish death