What Are You Listening To?

khaos

I would have never guessed GG would have made it through an entire fusion album. If you were ok with that, definitely check out that Miles Davis album I posted earlier. Better album in my opinion.

Just in from a sweltering round of golf. Heat index of 115. Normally wouldn't even bother this time of year, but had a friend down who was dying to play. So we did. Now it's time for beer and bluegrass. Will just hit play on my 36 hour playlist and see what I get. Merle Haggard, Flat & Scruggs, Emmy Lou Harris, Trampled by Turtles, Old Crow Medicine Show, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley, Sturgill Simpson, The Steeldrivers, and a bunch more. Not too mention a tasty cherry Gozen or 3.

Tribal Gaze - The Nine Choirs, east Texas 2022. Figured I'd have a listen. This is another one of those young new Maggot Stomp death metal bands everyone loves to hate. Totally inoffensive, I'd call this easy listening death metal. Not bad, but maybe a bit too chuggy and M&P even for me, and I do love my M&P death. Chugs along being midpaced and deathy, but it's not extreme and brutal enough, not cavernous enough, not evil enough, not rapid-fire pummeling enough, not rotten and putrid enough, riffs aren't distinctive enough, it just doesn't stand out from the crowd of young death metal bands in any way. Reasonably enjoyable while I have it playing, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. But I can't imagine I'll be thinking about this one later tonight and wanting to hear it again. I'll give it a solid 7 but I couldn't go any higher than that. Has a 48% from a single review on M-A which is ridiculous, this is not a 48 percenter imo, it's clearly better than that. A bit chuggy maybe, but if they could come up with some better riffs and learn to vary the tempos a bit I think they could be a pretty good band, the record does sound good. It's a lot better than Saggysugarballs imo.

Tribal Gaze - Photo

Funeral Pile - Evoked In Flames, slightly blackened German death metal 2021. Bit more accessible than most of the death metal I listen to and there are some other influences here. I love that there's two chicks in the band and neither one is the vocalist, rather guitar and drums. You don't see a lot of girls drumming in death metal. Although this is mostly midpaced with a few faster breaks. Guessing from the band photo they're sisters. Good album all the same, regardless of anyone's sex or gender.

Funeral Leech - Death Meditation, cavernous death/doom NYC 2020. Have no recollection of buying this 3 years ago. Doesn't sound anything like what I think of when I think of NY death metal. 

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

I would have never guessed GG would have made it through an entire fusion album. If you were ok with that, definitely check out that Miles Davis album I posted earlier. Better album in my opinion.

Just in from a sweltering round of golf. Heat index of 115. Normally wouldn't even bother this time of year, but had a friend down who was dying to play. So we did. Now it's time for beer and bluegrass. Will just hit play on my 36 hour playlist and see what I get. Merle Haggard, Flat & Scruggs, Emmy Lou Harris, Trampled by Turtles, Old Crow Medicine Show, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley, Sturgill Simpson, The Steeldrivers, and a bunch more. Not too mention a tasty cherry Gozen or 3.

Hey man, I'll have you know I listened to the one Mahavishnu I posted last night (forgot the title) and then two in a row this morning, Visions and the Birds of Fire. Visions was by far the best of the three.

Which Miles abum was that now? I haven't had much luck with Miles in the past tbh, the several albums I've tried have been too chaotic and all over the place for me. Jazz is hard for me unless it's stuff like Brubeck's Take 5 which I picked right up on from the first listen, I think my mother must have played that one a bunch when I was a kid.

Golfing in 95° heat with high humidity and a HI of 115° when you don't have to sounds fucking insane, you do know that right? I'm a pussy when it comes to high heat, I would have taken him for some indoor air conditioned mini golf and called it a day.

Thought about trying some more Zappa today since I enjoyed that You Are What You Is album last night, but then after I made the kid some food and mowed the lawn a bit I just went back to my usual black and death metal. Been meaning to try this Joe's Garage album since I always really liked that song on the radio back in the day, but I've never heard the rest of the album. I've heard good things about that Hot Rats you posted recently too, maybe I'll try that one sometime. But I beleieve it's mostly instrumental and that's not what I look to Zappa for. In Frank's case the clever lyrics are probably more important to me than the music. Unlike extreme metal where I ignore the lyrics completely. I'm from the right era but I've never spent any real time with Zappa because I was always looking for heavier shit, and then in the 80's I just wanted nothing but metal. I really just know the radio songs: Muffin Man (best chorus ever), Yellow Snow, Cosmic Debris, Moving to Montana, and of course Joe's Garage. I've had plenty of friends over the years who've expounded on their love of Zappa, and told me how much I'm missing out, I'm just a stubborn motherfucker. I'll get to it when I'm ready. Which I guess is right now, I've got some time til I have to start cooking dinner.

Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III. Looks like shirtless cover photos were all the rage in the 70's. 

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Hey man, I'll have you know I listened to the one Mahavishnu I posted last night (forgot the title) and then two in a row this morning, Visions and the Birds of Fire. Visions was by far the best of the three.

Which Miles abum was that now? I haven't had much luck with Miles in the past tbh, the several albums I've tried have been too chaotic and all over the place for me. Jazz is hard for me unless it's stuff like Brubeck's Take 5 which I picked right up on from the first listen, I think my mother must have played that one a bunch when I was a kid.

Golfing in 95° heat with high humidity and a HI of 115° when you don't have to sounds fucking insane, you do know that right? I'm a pussy when it comes to high heat, I would have taken him for some indoor air conditioned mini golf and called it a day.

Thought about trying some more Zappa today since I enjoyed that You Are What You Is album last night, but then after I made the kid some food and mowed the lawn a bit I just went back to my usual black and death metal. Been meaning to try this Joe's Garage album since I always really liked that song on the radio back in the day, but I've never heard the rest of the album. I've heard good things about that Hot Rats you posted recently too, maybe I'll try that one sometime. But I beleieve it's mostly instrumental and that's not what I look to Zappa for. In Frank's case the clever lyrics are probably more important to me than the music. Unlike extreme metal where I ignore the lyrics completely. I'm from the right era but I've never spent any real time with Zappa because I was always looking for heavier shit, and then in the 80's I just wanted nothing but metal. I really just know the radio songs: Muffin Man (best chorus ever), Yellow Snow, Cosmic Debris, Moving to Montana, and of course Joe's Garage. I've had plenty of friends over the years who've expounded on their love of Zappa, and told me how much I'm missing out, I'm just a stubborn motherfucker. I'll get to it when I'm ready. Which I guess is right now, I've got some time til I have to start cooking dinner.

Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III. Looks like shirtless cover photos were all the rage in the 70's. 

Tribute to Jack Johnson is the Miles album you want.

And by far my favorite Zappa tune off Sheik Yerbouti - Broken Hearts are for Assholes 

Although Titties and Beer ain't half bad

3 hours ago, Serpentboi1992 said:

bangersbrasil: Bolt Thrower – War Master || Fanzine Mosh || Since 1987

That Bolt Thrower album is incredible. You're not likely to find a harder more destructive collection of riffs on a single slaughter slab anywhere on earth.

NP: Mycorrhizae - The Great Filtration

The Great Filtration | Mycorrhizae | Big Bovine Industrial Wastes (bandcamp.com)

a1437117012_10.jpg

Gotta respect that mushroom theming, odd as it is. Weirdly enough I did go through a mycology phase some years back. I would cook with and eat wild local mushrooms a lot more often these days if only I wasn't deathly afraid of accidentally liquifying my liver.

Musically it's pretty good. Boiler place black metal with the vocals was down in the mix.

52 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

That Bolt Thrower album [War Master] is incredible. You're not likely to find a harder more destructive collection of riffs on a single slaughter slab anywhere on earth.

I almost never listen to these two, I usually listen to the next two: For Victory and 4th Crusade, usually one right after the other. I listen to In Battle There is No law the next most because it sounds like crust and I love crust. After that it's gotta be Those Once Loyal next, but almost never the two albums right before that. I do like Realm of Chaos a lot actualy, just never seem to pick it out of the pack for some reason. Sounding pretty damn good tonight though. War Master has always seemed a bit less awesone to me than the 2 BT albums right before, and the 2 right after it, but I'm cueing it up tonight after Realm of Chaos because Le Cabbage has given it his slaw of appproval. I can't read the phrase "destructive collection of riffs" without being tempted to drop what I'm doing and go listen for myself. I did a BT catalog run front to back just last year, or maybe it was earlier this year, Idk the memory ain't what it used to be. They don't have a bad album though, you really can't go wrong with any of them. But we all have our favorites.

Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos, 1989

Bolt Thrower - War Master, 1991

All the albums are brilliant, superb even, and I'd buy them all again if I had the chance!

I wasn't a huge fan of Virtual XI, but I liked, still do like X Factor. Apart from the first two tracks of Virtual XI I don't remember the album that well, but it's next on the list so I'll see what happens when I play it.

27 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

All the albums are brilliant, superb even, and I'd buy them all again if I had the chance!

The Reload seal of approval?

I wasn't a huge fan of Virtual XI, but I liked, still do like X Factor. Apart from the first two tracks of Virtual XI I don't remember the album that well, but it's next on the list so I'll see what happens when I play it.

Ha, I am the opposite.  I tend to forget X Factor for most part but remember Virtual XI quite well!  

4 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

As good as Reload is it's not Maiden and with all the harsh words against Maiden lately I felt they needed a few positive vibes headed their way for their outstanding catalogue of brilliance.

I am never sure if you are being sarcastic or not!  🤪

1 minute ago, AlSymerz said:

As good as Reload is it's not Maiden and with all the harsh words against Maiden lately I felt they needed a few positive vibes headed their way for their outstanding catalogue of brilliance.

They get plenty of positive vibes headed their way. I'm sure one out of every 11.4 metalheads would happily get down on their knees and service the band and crew one at a time til every last one of them had had his turn.

1 minute ago, Dead1 said:

I am never sure if you are being sarcastic or not!  🤪

Dead serious 110% of the time.

1 minute ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

They get plenty of positive vibes headed their way. I'm sure one out of every 11.4 metalheads would happily get down on their knees and service the band and crew one at a time til every last one of them had had his turn.

You black metallers really show your band homage differently to others.

26 minutes ago, Hungarino said:

This new release is getting spins. A smorgasbord of modern, polished rifftastic DM goodness. An amazing effort put forth on this one. Bonus points for having a made up word for a name.

Begravement - Horrific Illusions Beckon

They're just little kids! But the record's not bad at all. A bit too polished maybe, they didn't leave too many rough edges. Promising though, they seem to have no problem coming up with riffs.

Begravement Lyrics, Songs, and Albums | Genius