What Are You Listening To?

khaos

I feel bored just posting random albums here. This lastFM thing ain't going to die so easily. There's over 3000 bands that have been scrobbled at one point. I have decided to climb the list up and beyond and call it… 

CBS most played bands according to lastFM 201 

201. Runemagick - Darkness death doom (27 plays)

Death/doom, Germany. I don't see anything wrong with this band, but don't feel the spark either. I feel like listening to Asphyx instead. 

202. Satan - Court in the act (27) 

I think this one was already in the top 200 countdown 2-3 weeks ago and it's already here. I have no desire to revisit this band.

Most of my plays are from 2011 of which I have no memory what so ever. I thought I first heard this band during this year when I have actually been more open to classic heavy metal.

2 hours ago, CumBloodSucker said:

I feel bored just posting random albums here. This lastFM thing ain't going to die so easily. There's over 3000 bands that have been scrobbled at one point. I have decided to climb the list up and beyond and call it… 

CBS most played bands according to lastFM

201. Runemagick - Darkness Death Doom (27 plays)

Death/doom, Germany. I don't see anything wrong with this band, but don't feel the spark either.

202. Satan - Court in the Act (27) 

I have no desire to revisit this band.

Your #201 only has 27 scrobbles?!? Dude I have to go to page 54 (out of 75) band #2,678 Anacrusis to get down to my first band that only has 27 plays. Most of the albums I bought in the last month already have more plays than that.

Have a couple of friends who are into Runemagick, get all excited when they drop an album. I don't get it, they leave me cold. Boooooring.

Satan blows. Go back to sucking cocks in Hell where you belong Satan. I know us older true metalheads are supposed to at least harbor some respect and appreciation for all these old 80's bands with their high clean vocals but I for one do not. I find most of these old bands' vox unlistenable. Doesn't really matter how good the music might be if you have some idiot singing right in your face in his high shrill voice.

The only one who gets a pass on this is KD because those 80's Fate albums were so incredibly good I forced myself to get onboard with the falsetto. Those two Fate albums, Melissa and Oath were better than everything Priest and Maiden have ever done or even thought about doing combined, no offense to Mr Smith and Mr Tipton or whomever was writing those bands' songs. Somehow the falsetto seems reasonable to me, I mean I'll walk around the kitchen sometimes singing made-up nonsense lyrics in my best falsetto just to entertain the kid, so falsetto has its place. And also King's normal register actual singing voice is really fucking good.

Archgoat Live Hellfest 2016, love the Goat but I think their sound is better suited to smaller clubs. They look out of place on that gigantic stage.

Tales of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Word to my man @GoatmasterGeneral for checking up on me yesterday while I sat in airport hell in Minneapolis.

Unpacking and cleaning up today from the most recent trip. Work has been kicking my ass lately, so apologies for being scarce. Work tempo has changed, but Navy hasn't.

Today's menu:

Judas Priest - Priest Live

Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance

Coroner - Grin

KG&LW - Tetrahedron Dragon something or another

UFO - Phenomenon

UFO - Obsession

Def Leppard - High N Dry

Buzzcocks - Singles and Steady

Rush - Fly by Night

Rush - Signals

Dokken - Tooth and Nail

Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver

Sepultura - Schizophrenia

Sepultura - BTR

Depeche Mode - Singles 86-98

David Bowie - Legacy

and a bunch of other stuff on the way just too much to list. I'll try to be around a bit more when time allows.

Just now, navybsn said:

Tales of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Word to my man @GoatmasterGeneral for checking up on me yesterday while I sat in airport hell in Minneapolis.

Unpacking and cleaning up today from the most recent trip. Work has been kicking my ass lately, so apologies for being scarce. Work tempo has changed, but Navy hasn't.

Today's menu:

Judas Priest - Priest Live

Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance

Coroner - Grin

KG&LW - Tetrahedron Dragon something or another

UFO - Phenomenon

UFO - Obsession

Def Leppard - High N Dry

Buzzcocks - Singles and Steady

Rush - Fly by Night

Rush - Signals

Dokken - Tooth and Nail

Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver

Sepultura - Schizophrenia

Sepultura - BTR

Depeche Mode - Singles 86-98

David Bowie - Legacy

and a bunch of other stuff on the way just too much to list. I'll try to be around a bit more when time allows.

Great to hear from you Navy!

Yeah, work will get you. I have been consumed most of this year, but happily back home now listening to metal with my cat and catching up on my chores while the wife is away.

Now where is Mark hiding out? It must be kayak season on the upper Gauley. Or maybe the lower one.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Your #201 only has 27 scrobbles?!? Dude I have to go to page 54 (out of 75) band #2,678 Anacrusis to get down to my first band that only has 27 plays. Most of the albums I bought in the last month already have more plays than that.

Have a couple of friends who are into Runemagick, get all excited when they drop an album. I don't get it, they leave me cold. Boooooring.

Satan blows. Go back to sucking cocks in Hell where you belong Satan. I know us older true metalheads are supposed to at least harbor some respect and appreciation for all these old 80's bands with their high clean vocals but I for one do not. I find most of these old bands' vox unlistenable. Doesn't really matter how good the music might be if you have some idiot singing right in your face in his high shrill voice.

The only one who gets a pass on this is KD because those 80's Fate albums were so incredibly good I forced myself to get onboard with the falsetto. Those two Fate albums, Melissa and Oath were better than everything Priest and Maiden have ever done or even thought about doing combined, no offense to Mr Smith and Mr Tipton or whomever was writing those bands' songs. Somehow the falsetto seems reasonable to me, I mean I'll walk around the kitchen sometimes singing made-up nonsense lyrics in my best falsetto just to entertain the kid, so falsetto has its place. And also King's normal register actual singing voice is really fucking good.

Archgoat Live Hellfest 2016, love the Goat but I think their sound is better suited to smaller clubs. They look out of place on that gigantic stage.

Not sure if I would put Fate over Priest and Maiden, but definitely in the same league. I like Satan to a point, but I didn't care for them live. The front man is a tool. They played the same night as The Lord Weird Slough Feg that blew them off the stage. 

39 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I'll try to be around a bit more when time allows.

Welcome back brother, we've all missed your presence here these last 5 months. You shouldn't ever feel obligated to post if you really don't have the time to spare, we've all got responsibilites so we get it. But it certainly puts a smile on my face to see your avatar again. 

GBH - Live at Resurrection Fest 2014 Viveiro, Spain

The Exploited - 25 Years of Anarchy & Chaos - Live in Moscow 2005

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I still scratch my head at calling Satan's vocals "high". Dude's a mid-range baritone through and through. Closest comparison to me would be Falconer.

NP: Enthroned Serpent - Ancient Witchcraft

▶︎ Ancient Witchcraft | Enthroned Serpent | Celtic Fog Productions (bandcamp.com)

a1821658428_10.jpg

Fairly average if I'm being honest.

11 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The samples are integral to the notation software I use and can be used as long as their use is credited.

I'm not going to make any money and that's not the point, of course. I just wanted to put the music out there. The point of writing the music was partly intellectual stimulation - conceiving and scoring a 12 tone symphony exercises the brain - but mainly I just wanted to hear music that no one has heard before and I wanted to share it.

That is pretty awesome.  Where do we find it to check it out?

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

How many hours/albums a day do you listen to music?

If I listen to 4-5, it is a massive day.  On average I probably get 1-2 and somedays I get none.

Between,family,work and other interests, it can be hard to squeeze in music.

By the way what do you do for a living?  

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I still scratch my head at calling Satan's vocals "high". Dude's a mid-range baritone through and through. Closest comparison to me would be Falconer.

Alright, well sorry to say I've never heard of Falconer, but I'll admit the Satan dude's not the highest one around, he's not a Halford or a Tate or a Dane clone or anything like that. I was going mostly from memory because I really don't listen to trad metal very often, unless it comes up in a forum convo like this. But the dude sounds like a power metal vocalist, and there are a few pretty high screams sprinkled throughout here to end verses. I know you know what I mean. I don't like metal like that with clean vocals. Certain bands do get a pass from me for nostalgic reasons, but all things considered I really just don't like this kind of 80's trad metal music. And 99% of the reason is the vocals, because musically most of it would otherwise be fine. Compared to most of the extreme metal I listen to on a daily basis these Satan vocals are high. I'm quite aware that I do like some stuff with much higher vocals than this, like Bobby Blitz for example. But he at least has attitude and a snarl and some grit in his voice. Whereas the Satan guy just sounds like a big pussy. No grit in his voice or any edge whatsoever and that just doesn't work for me. But the rest of you are always free to enjoy them and any other bands you can think of who use these kind of high clean vox, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of it if that's really what they're into. My closest and oldest friend in the entire world in real life (friends since 10th grade 1976) that I've gone to hundreds of club shows with says he loves Nightwish and considers them his favorite metal band now. I tried them one night and I couldn't even listen to 10 seconds of it. But I don't think any less of him, we're still best friends, that's just his taste. 

NP: Shrouded Infinity - Through Caverns Unknown EP, 2022

59 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

How many hours/albums a day do you listen to music?

If I listen to 4-5, it is a massive day.  On average I probably get 1-2 and somedays I get none.

Between,family,work and other interests, it can be hard to squeeze in music.

By the way what do you do for a living?  

It depends, I usually have music playing most of the time that I'm awake, no matter what I might be doing. But there will be an evening every now and then when I'll turn the music off to go out and do something, or I'll binge watch some show on Netflix, or watch a sporting event, or play a PC game. But even when I play an RTS game I usually have the sound turned down so I can play my own music instead. Metal is life. So if you want an average I'll say maybe 10 - 12 - 14 hours a day, somewhere in there. But it could be a bit more some days, or it could be less. I'm a night owl who only typically sleeps about 3 or 4 hours a night (if that) so most nights I'm quite literally up all night til I see the daylight come through the curtins usually listening to music (unless I just fall asleep unintentionally in my computer chair) but sometimes on a weekend or something I'll get a chance to catch up and sleep 6 or 7 hours til noon.

I remember the days when I'd have to get up in the dark to go to work in the dark and work all day then often come home in the dark. But I was able to listen to music for most of that time because I drove a truck, I had a linen route for 25 years up until 2015. Still it's not the same as being home and really listening while relaxed. I don't do anything for work now, I've been home with the kid ever since my wife died. I have been renovating this old farmhouse for the past few years with help from a couple of my friends who know more about construction than I do, and some hired help and that keeps me busy at least some of the day most days. But I don't think of that as a real job because I'm old and lazy now so I'm sure not putting in anywhere cose to 50+ hours a week like I used to all those years when I had an actual job.

We'll be getting ready to sell this place at some point finally in the next couple of months and somehow the boy's 9 already now, so I have been thinking about maybe going back to work and doing something. But I'm really not sure what. In a perfect world I'd love to work from home so I could be here to get the kid on and off the bus and for all the days when there's no school, like their numerous school vacations, sick days and snow days. But I don't think I have the skills needed for that kind of a job. Either way I'll need to do something at some point cuz the money ain't gonna last forever. But I have no desire at my age to go back to the grueling 50 hour work weeks doing hard physical labor and lots of heavy lifting. My knees are shot now from 25 years of schlepping heavy bags of shit up and down the basement stairs of the restaurants of NYC. So I'll need to figure something else out. It will probably be something that allows me to listen to music all day.

Metal Church - "Congregation of Annihilation"

KK's Priest - "Sermons of the Sinner"

Accept - "Blood of the Nations"

Enforced - "Kill Grid"

Enforced - "War Remains"

Good grief, what an incredible band!  Had these two albums on repeat this afternoon/evening.  My favorites of the more modern wave of thrash are:  Angelus Apatrida, Enforced, Evile, Havok, and Warbringer.  

Enforced have jumped into that group with a vengeance!

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yes, my scrobbles are pretty low in comparison, sadly. They are going up though, having to forced listening digitally (started a family.)   Yes, Runemagick and Satan are in the scrapyard of my listening experiences, metabolic waste. Those two Mercyful Fate albums are so far the only heavy metal sounding albums that I like after getting used to the falsettos. Judas priest is okay too, but I listen to the older albums from the 70's. I think it's the bluesy effect that is on the first Black Sabbath albums. I don't feel the need for 80's JP stuff.

Archgoat belongs to the filthy rotten aged bars that barely stand together when they play!

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

skybluesky.bandcam.com

Check out the self promotion thread SKYBLUESKY MUSIC

Thanks I am checking it out now.

Damn GG that is a lot of music.

I don't think I could do that even if I had the time.  I appreciate silence and quiet as much as I love heavy metal.