What Are You Listening To?

khaos

6 hours ago, navybsn said:

Perdition Temple - pretty standard Angelcorpse worship which of course it is. Enjoyable but I've seen it half a dozen times already.

Yellow Eyes - surprisingly decent. Angular discordant shoe gaze-y. Not bad for a bunch of hipsters.

Death Hammer - yes. Sloppy and greasy 

Sacrifice - meh

Vomitory - they got a special on surplus HM2s. Fun and chunky.

Dismember - only stayed for a few songs. Started raining and there were 9 million people jammed into the same spot. Not my scene.

Impure - decent black metal 

Dread Sovereign - sounds like Primordial playing non-Primordial songs. Was decent.

Forbidden - ' Chalice of Blood ' - sing a long time.

So far today. Up next Soilent Green and Mork. Then off my feet. Tomorrow is going to be brutal.

Didn't get started until Forbidden, and I have to say, as someone who doesn't do a lot of traditional thrash this was a really fun set...they were definitely killing it.

Deathhammer was next...fast as hell and kept the energy high. Great follow up to that killer Forbidden set

Sacrifice was after that, and agree with Navy 100%. Boring set...they just had nothing going on and the crowd had no energy for them.

Ditched out on the last Sacrifice song to head over for Vomitory. Maybe they managed to finally get it sorted, or maybe it was just the spot I was in, but either way I wasn't able to make it through even one song. It was all snare and tom drum The vocals were buried and the guitars were muddy. Really bummed, because you could see they were going hard, but I think theres something about the way that Power Plant stage is enclosed on all sides including the top, that screws with the sound.

Dismember was a straight up bucket list band for me, so I was standing out there rain or shine. Thankfully they delivered in a massive way, pulling tracks from pretty much all their albums. It was definitely a madhouse inside the actual venue area, and if you were too far back, it sounded muffled because of the amount of people in there. The thing was, one of my friends and I had noticed on our way to get food earlier, that the pathway around the venue, outside the fence, runs very, very close to the stage area. The view wasn't perfect for seeing them, since you were looking partially through a fence, but damn...that sound was totally dialed in. Honestly couldn't have asked for much better from this set.

Spectral Voice...I think after the Dismember set, I just wasn't in the mood for them. They sounded good and thick but it just didn't come together for me. Definitely enjoyed the last time i saw them a lot better.

After that was a break, to rest up for Haemorrhage. I tend to forget how groovy they are as a grind band...its not all blast beats by any means. Band had a ton of energy...they were clearly into it, and so was the audience. Really great way to end the night!

...and while I failed to mention it previously, Navy...it was a total pleasure, brother!

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Which, of course, is the best album...

I mean, it's literally their only album...so technically this is true in the absolute literal sense. It is a pretty goddamn rough album though, even though i know its got its defenders. Personally. I don't care about the clean vocals all that much,  but dumping all those riffs for a more simplified music style was a complete mistake.

15 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Didn't get started until Forbidden, and I have to say, as someone who doesn't do a lot of traditional thrash this was a really fun set...they were definitely killing it.

Deathhammer was next...fast as hell and kept the energy high. Great follow up to that killer Forbidden set

Sacrifice was after that, and agree with Navy 100%. Boring set...they just had nothing going on and the crowd had no energy for them.

Ditched out on the last Sacrifice song to head over for Vomitory. Maybe they managed to finally get it sorted, or maybe it was just the spot I was in, but either way I wasn't able to make it through even one song. It was all snare and tom drum The vocals were buried and the guitars were muddy. Really bummed, because you could see they were going hard, but I think theres something about the way that Power Plant stage is enclosed on all sides including the top, that screws with the sound.

Dismember was a straight up bucket list band for me, so I was standing out there rain or shine. Thankfully they delivered in a massive way, pulling tracks from pretty much all their albums. It was definitely a madhouse inside the actual venue area, and if you were too far back, it sounded muffled because of the amount of people in there. The thing was, one of my friends and I had noticed on our way to get food earlier, that the pathway around the venue, outside the fence, runs very, very close to the stage area. The view wasn't perfect for seeing them, since you were looking partially through a fence, but damn...that sound was totally dialed in. Honestly couldn't have asked for much better from this set.

Spectral Voice...I think after the Dismember set, I just wasn't in the mood for them. They sounded good and thick but it just didn't come together for me. Definitely enjoyed the last time i saw them a lot better.

After that was a break, to rest up for Haemorrhage. I tend to forget how groovy they are as a grind band...its not all blast beats by any means. Band had a ton of energy...they were clearly into it, and so was the audience. Really great way to end the night!

...and while I failed to mention it previously, Navy...it was a total pleasure, brother!

I mean, it's literally their only album...so technically this is true in the absolute literal sense. It is a pretty goddamn rough album though, even though i know its got its defenders. Personally. I don't care about the clean vocals all that much,  but dumping all those riffs for a more simplified music style was a complete mistake.

That's big brain thinking on catching Dismember. I've noticed the normies watching the freak show from there all week but never considered trying to watch a set from there. Would've been much better than the cluster fuck inside.

I skipped Spectral Voice in favor of Soilent Green who absolutely ripped. Never one of my favorites back in the day, but they were tight. Sound was great. Surprisingly too because sound at both outdoor stages has been questionable. Really depends on where you're standing. Vomitory started off shitty but I moved up by the soundboard and it got much better. I think it's just the nature of the way everything is setup between the buildings. Everything bouncing between all that concrete....

Mork was a bit of a letdown. Just a bit too mid-tempo. Sounded good but just wasn't feeling it. Could just be midnight of day 4 on my feet.

Today is absolutely stacked. Ripper, Daeva, Spirit Possession, Primordial, Abbath, Gorguts, Grave Miasma, Mayhem, Bloodbath, Archgoat, and Mortuary Drape. RIP my feet.

59 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I think it's just the nature of the way everything is setup between the buildings. Everything bouncing between all that concrete....

100% agree...and then you add in all those people and yeah...that sound can get ugly real fast.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

That's big brain thinking on catching Dismember. I've noticed the normies watching the freak show from there all week but never considered trying to watch a set from there. Would've been much better than the cluster fuck inside.

I skipped Spectral Voice in favor of Soilent Green who absolutely ripped. Never one of my favorites back in the day, but they were tight. Sound was great. Surprisingly too because sound at both outdoor stages has been questionable. Really depends on where you're standing. Vomitory started off shitty but I moved up by the soundboard and it got much better. I think it's just the nature of the way everything is setup between the buildings. Everything bouncing between all that concrete....

Mork was a bit of a letdown. Just a bit too mid-tempo. Sounded good but just wasn't feeling it. Could just be midnight of day 4 on my feet.

Today is absolutely stacked. Ripper, Daeva, Spirit Possession, Primordial, Sabbath, Gorguts, Grave Miasma, Mayhem, Bloodbath, Archgoat, and Mortuary Drape. RIP my feet.

You definitely made the right call with Soilent Green over Spectral Voice...they sounded damn good when I was walking past to go into Rams Head...I should have gone back out for that set. Glad to hear Vomitory managed to get things straightened out though.

Yeah...I dont blame you for jetting on Dismember. Id had to run something up to my truck as they were just starting, and just as i was rounding that last corner to head back to the venue entrance I saw my buddy waving me off and telling me to turn around. He said there was no way to get close to the stage inside and everything sounded muffled and muddy from the back because of all the bodies and tents and shit.

Sorry to hear Mork was a bust. I was kind of interested, especially with black metal being on the sparse side.. but I absolutely needed some kind of break if i was going to get through Haemorrhage.

Today is definitely going to be a bruiser...plan to basically plow through from Ripper until Abbath starts, take a break, go back for Gorguts, break again at Mayhem, and then head down until the end...going to be a long one

56 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

100% agree...and then you add in all those people and yeah...that sound can get ugly real fast.

You definitely made the right call with Soilent Green over Spectral Voice...they sounded damn good when I was walking past to go into Rams Head...I should have gone back out for that set. Glad to hear Vomitory managed to get things straightened out though.

Yeah...I dont blame you for jetting on Dismember. Id had to run something up to my truck as they were just starting, and just as i was rounding that last corner to head back to the venue entrance I saw my buddy waving me off and telling me to turn around. He said there was no way to get close to the stage inside and everything sounded muffled and muddy from the back because of all the bodies and tents and shit.

Sorry to hear Mork was a bust. I was kind of interested, especially with black metal being on the sparse side.. but I absolutely needed some kind of break if i was going to get through Haemorrhage.

Today is definitely going to be a bruiser...plan to basically plow through from Ripper until Abbath starts, take a break, go back for Gorguts, break again at Mayhem, and then head down until the end...going to be a long one

Yeah man, fueled by Ibuprofen at this point. Text me if you get a chance on a break and I'll buy you a beer.

Lamb of God - "Omens"

One of my top 10 favorite metal bands of all time.  These guys have never, ever disappointed me.  Randy has come out and said he thinks he has another 3 years or so fronting the band, at which point he'll be in his mid-50's.  I'm hoping for a couple more albums and be at the 11-album mark (under the Lamb of God moniker).  These guys have been a staple of my metal journey for 20 years now - this is the 20th anniversary of their best album IMO, "Ashes of the Wake".  It'll pain me to see them retire, although I know time will catch up with us all at some point. 

NP: Fathomless Ritual - Hymns for the Lesser God

▶︎ Hymns For The Lesser Gods | FATHOMLESS RITUAL | Fathomless Ritual (bandcamp.com)

a0556850626_10.jpg

Transcending Obscurity seems like the 'it' label for tech death this year. I'm okay with it since they do seem to have a pretty good nose for it. At times though I really have to wonder if albums like this would have turned as many heads if they were just labeled as brutal death instead. There's some overlap that makes this a little tricky. I'd definitely categorize last year's Paroxysm Unit as techy enough to slide through. This one, I don't really know. I enjoy both genres though, so no biggie for me.

50 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Fantastic choice!  High on Fire are incredibly underrated. 

Maybe now they're not pulling as much clout as I remember them having when Surrounded By Thieves was coming out. There was certainly no shortage of fans for them then. Gotta admit though that I really only listened to that one more than a few times. I do remember Snakes for the Divine and Blessed Black Wings as being fun and pretty beefy full albums. They do make for a fun listen, and the Matt Pike I see in interviews today seems like he's really grown as a musician.

On 5/25/2024 at 2:23 PM, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

OVERCHARGE - Metal Punx

....Law Vegas blows hard....I always hate it here.....boring, especially since I'm not a big gambler....I played a few hands of poker and blackjack...that's about it though....I'm gonna check out a couple record stores and see what happens....not seeing any bands today til 5pm when 999 plays...then it'll be BILLY BRAGG, GORILLA BISCUITS, MADBALL and the mighty DESCENDENTS...I've still got 5 hours to kill between now and then.....at least my suite is really fuckin' nice....

......if I was WhiteNoise...I'd probably kick off my bronto-boots and turquoise choker and do some blow....

Nah, I've never been a blow guy, was quite happy to let the disco IROC guido dudes have all the blow. I was always a weed and beer guy. I wanna be sedated. Harder drugs never interested me.

Not big on Vegas either, gambling's for losers. Every time I've been out there it's either hot and dry as fuck or rainy, cold and shitty. That tram thing's kind of cool though, people watching on the strip is fun, and I've enjoyed checking out the Zia Records a few times on Rainbow if that's even still there. Haven't been back to Vegas since 2012.

Wouldn't mind seeing Madball, one of my favorite NYHC bands. Not familiar with any of those other bands' music although I do recognize their names. I know I've checked out that Milo Goes to College album a couple of times, but it never stuck with me.

Which hotel you staying in? With 5 hours to kill and no one to kill it with I'd go back to my really nice fucking suite have a wank and take a nap. Unless you're feeling frisky and loaded down with cash you wanted to get rid of then you could always take an Uber out to the Chicken Ranch...

Altar of zgore - Litanies of the Unceasing Agonies, New Jersey

WOUNDED FUNERAL - Skaalp. Noice, but a few too many quiet introspective moments. Quiet introspective music has its place, but its place isn't on this album 

HEILUNG - Futha. Very suitable for a run on a foggy cold morning

NP - LUSTMORD - Much Unseen Is Also Here. Quiet ambient music (despite the cover art) that most of you would hate.