What Are You Listening To?

khaos

On 6/19/2023 at 8:02 AM, JonoBlade said:

All I know is a while back I found a 1st UK press on eBay which I would have gotten, until I noticed that As I Die was missing. I never looked again and I don't do reissues and double LPs (unless it is The Wall). I think I have the CD in the garage, otherwise I'm not sure where the MP3s I have on my phone came from. I had it on cassette tape too. These (SoG and Icon) must have been some of the last cassettes I bought, because I am certain I had a CD player in early 1992. Maybe I thought CDs were a fad that would never last, compared to the enduring permanence of magnetic tape.  It may have been an economics thing too. Import CDs were about NZ$35 in 1992. That was almost a week's rent in a student flat! A cassette was probably $15. 

I believe the To Mega Therion version on its way might be a double disc CD with some extras on it. LPs are going for $150 and up. Narp. The most expensive LP I've ever bought is possibly £50 for Sabbat Dreamweaver and then Masters of Reality/Paranoid etc (not first presses - those are £500).

Well my buddy sent me a pic of the back cover, turns out As I Die is not on my 1992 copy of the album. This mystifies me as I love that album and I'm quite familiar with the final track As I Die. Can't even imagine Shades without that song. I wonder if maybe I replaced the vinyl album digitally in the early 2000's and that's when I heard the song and have since gotten used to the album with it on there since it's been another 20 years of listening to the Mp3's. 

I Googled how much music fits on an LP and various answers came back from 22 to 25 minutes per side. But that's bullshit because I know I have vinyl albums in that 50 to 60 minute range that fit on single albums. Shades of God with As I Die on it is 52:56. Overkill's Horrorscope 52:47, Alice in Chains' Facelift 54:02, Master of Puppets 54:50, TBA 62:39, Exodus' Force of Habit 68:39 so I don't know why they felt they had to leave off that track from the vinyl version, especially considering it was one of the better songs of that collection.

Funny, I got all those first press Sabbath albums on vinyl for $4 each because that's how much albums cost back in the mid 70's. Of course $4 in 1975 had the equivalent purchasing power of $22.61 in today's dollars. Interestingly vinyl album sales peaked back in 1977 with 344 million units shipped. They bottomed out in 2006 with only 900k units shipped, but then numbers have increased every year since then. CD sales are a different matter, 942.5 million units shipped to the US in 2000 vs 33.4 million in 2022 (vs 43.46 million vinyl albums shipped in 2022).

15 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I once thought the same about black metal.

Doesn't everyone basically think the same about most sub-genres they don't like? You have to listen to a bit of something before you will start to see the differences and the nuance and smaller detaills. But if you don't like it then you're not going to want to listen to very much of it, so it will always all kinda sound the same to you.

I can admit I'm completely ignorant about anything to do with power metal because I can't listen to it long enough to really form any meaningful conclusions about it - other than knowing I don't want to be subjected to any of it at all if there's any possible way to avoid it. It's the one sub-genre of rock/metal I can't even tolerate for the minute or two it would take to check something out and see what it's about.

13 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I Googled how much music fits on an LP and various answers came back from 22 to 25 minutes per side. But that's bullshit because I know I have vinyl albums in that 50 to 60 minute range that fit on single albums. Shades of God with As I Die on it is 52:56. Overkill's Horrorscope 52:47, Alice in Chains' Facelift 54:02, Master of Puppets 54:50, TBA 62:39, Exodus' Force of Habit 68:39 so I don't know why they felt they had to leave off that track from the vinyl version, especially considering it was one of the better songs of that collection.

Funny, I got all those first press Sabbath albums on vinyl for $4 each because that's how much albums cost back in the mid 70's. Of course $4 in 1975 had the equivalent purchasing power of $22.61 in today's dollars. Interestingly vinyl album sales peaked back in 1977 with 344 million units shipped. They bottomed out in 2006 with only 900k units shipped, but then numbers have increased every year since then. CD sales are a different matter, 942.5 million units shipped to the US in 2000 vs 33.4 million in 2022 (vs 43.46 million vinyl albums shipped in 2022).

How much you can cram on an LP is down to how good the guy who cut the vinyl was. But the more you put on, the weaker the sound gets. I read somewhere that Def Leppard Hysteria was one disc at the limit (62:32). I have that on a single vinyl. The first press of ...And Justice For All was a single LP apparently, but mine from 1988 is a double. It appears that TBA was always two discs (62:40). I don't have it as thrash is dead to me after 1990. Actually I think I have practically no vinyl past 1990 (a handful of new releases in the last 10 years only) as the output quality from all my favourite bands drove off a cliff. Queen's last true album was released in Feb 1991. I mean it's not great but mainstream music died with Freddie Mercury. Fun fact, the LP of Innuendo is edited by 5 minutes to fit onto one LP, yet the full length CD was only 53:48.

Of course, it's unlikely both sides are exactly equal in length but you're right it should not have been hard to get As I DIe onto the SoG LP.

The adjusted dollar vinyl value is really interesting. I believe I have seen US bands on bandcamp selling vinyl for around $25, but in the UK you'd pay at least £30 in a record store for a new vinyl. I sometimes browse HMV in the local mall because it is across the way from the health food shop, but I've never bought anything. 

11 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Doesn't everyone basically think the same about most sub-genres they don't like? You have to listen to a bit of something before you will start to see the differences and the nuance and smaller detaills. But if you don't like it then you're not going to want to listen to very much of it, so it will always all kinda sound the same to you.

I can admit I'm completely ignorant about anything to do with power metal because I can't listen to it long enough to really form any meaningful conclusions about it - other than knowing I don't want to be subjected to any of it at all if there's any possible way to avoid it. It's the one sub-genre of rock/metal I can't even tolerate for the minute or two it would take to check something out and see what it's about.

The thing is I don't dislike black metal, I do listen to some of it, albeit not as much as some. But I also know my audience and picking on black metal here is like rubbishing the missus about how much she wants to see Taylor Swift when the tour happens, or rubbishing a thatguy with comments about the Maroons.

16 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

How much you can cram on an LP is down to how good the guy who cut the vinyl was. But the more you put on, the weaker the sound gets. I read somewhere that Def Leppard Hysteria was one disc at the limit (62:32). I have that on a single vinyl. The first press of ...And Justice For All was a single LP apparently, but mine from 1988 is a double. It appears that TBA was always two discs (62:40). I don't have it as thrash is dead to me after 1990. Actually I think I have practically no vinyl past 1990 (a handful of new releases in the last 10 years only) as the output quality from all my favourite bands drove off a cliff. Queen's last true album was released in Feb 1991. I mean it's not great but mainstream music died with Freddie Mercury. Fun fact, the LP of Innuendo is edited by 5 minutes to fit onto one LP, yet the full length CD was only 53:48.

Of course, it's unlikely both sides are exactly equal in length but you're right it should not have been hard to get As I DIe onto the SoG LP.

The adjusted dollar vinyl value is really interesting. I believe I have seen US bands on bandcamp selling vinyl for around $25, but in the UK you'd pay at least £30 in a record store for a new vinyl. I sometimes browse HMV in the local mall because it is across the way from the health food shop, but I've never bought anything. 

I had TBA when it came out on a single vinyl album. No idea what the tracklist was or if there were any songs missing. Justice was a double album though, but I didn't get that one the minute it came out Sept '88, I think it was several months later. I remember buying AJFA the same day as Fabulous Disaster which came out in early '89. 

Last Queen album I recognize any songs from is Jazz, Nov 1978 when I was a senior in high school. So that's the last true Queen album for me. Didn't even know they had an album Innuendo, I had to look that up.

£30 is $38 USD ($56 AUD) and I honestly don't understand why so many people are willing to pay so much more for vinyl when CD's don't get skips and pops and are so easy to rip allowing you to take your music on the go. I remember buying vinyl in the late 80's to around 1990 and the US releases were generally about $10 while the imports were more, from $12 to about $15 or occasionally even a little more. Naturally much of what I wanted was imports, even many American bands' albums were imports for us which pissed me off at the time.

I only stopped buying stuff on vinyl because they stopped releasing a lot of albums on vinyl in the early 90's. But looking back I wish I would have converted over to digital sooner in the 80's instead of holding out til the 2000's. I have no recollection of what CD's were going for circa 1990 because I never bought any that whole decade.

47 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

The thing is I don't dislike black metal, I do listen to some of it, albeit not as much as some. But I also know my audience and picking on black metal here is like rubbishing the missus about how much she wants to see Taylor Swift when the tour happens, or rubbishing a Thatguy with comments about the Macaroons.

Yeah I get all that man. But not liking black metal has become somewhat of a cliché, there are tons of metalheads out there who say they like almost any sub-genre to some extent except for black metal. And maybe hardcore. So I'm used to people not liking the same stuff I like, I've totally come to expect that most people I run into aren't going to be into black metal at all, even if they listen to mostly metal. And that's cool because we've all got things we don't like, that's normal, so what? So whether you're joking or serious or rubbishing me it really makes no difference, because I fully expect everyone to be negative toward back metal, it doesn't bother me or even phase me, because that's the norm. I'm actually really surprised when I run into anyone who digs black metal or knows any bands at all beyond the most obvious and superficial first 5 Norwegian 2nd wavers or maybe some flavor of the month bands that I would hate.  

I've never before heard rubbishing used as a verb, but I like that, think I might use that. I've used just plain "rubbish" with my friends on the text thread a couple of times and they just about fell over laughing because no one says that here, although everyone knows what it means.

22 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I had TBA when it came out on a single vinyl album. No idea what the tracklist was or if there were any songs missing. Justice was a double album though, but I didn't get that one the minute it came out Sept '88, I think it was several months later. I remember buying AJFA the same day as Fabulous Disaster which came out in early '89. 

Last Queen album I recognize any songs from is Jazz, Nov 1978 when I was a senior in high school. So that's the last true Queen album for me. Didn't even know they had an album Innuendo, I had to look that up.

£30 is $38 USD ($56 AUD) and I honestly don't understand why so many people are willing to pay so much more for vinyl when CD's don't get skips and pops and are so easy to rip allowing you to take your music on the go. I remember buying vinyl in the late 80's to around 1990 and the US releases were generally about $10 while the imports were more, from $12 to about $15 or occasionally even a little more. Naturally much of what I wanted was imports, even many American bands' albums were imports for us which pissed me off at the time.

I only stopped buying stuff on vinyl because they stopped releasing a lot of albums on vinyl in the early 90's. But looking back I wish I would have converted over to digital sooner in the 80's instead of holding out til the 2000's. I have no recollection of what CD's were going for circa 1990 because I never bought any that whole decade.

Yeah I get all that man. But not liking black metal has become somewhat of a cliché, there are tons of metalheads out there who say they like almost any sub-genre to some extent except for black metal. And maybe hardcore. So I'm used to people not liking the same stuff I like, I've totally come to expect that most people I run into aren't going to be into black metal at all, even if they listen to mostly metal. And that's cool because we've all got things we don't like, that's normal, so what? So whether you're joking or serious or rubbishing me it really makes no difference, because I fully expect everyone to be negative toward back metal, it doesn't bother me or even phase me, because that's the norm. I'm actually really surprised when I run into anyone who digs black metal or knows any bands at all beyond the most obvious and superficial first 5 Norwegian 2nd wavers or maybe some flavor of the month bands that I would hate.  

I've never before heard rubbishing used as a verb, but I like that, think I might use that. I've used just plain "rubbish" with my friends on the text thread a couple of times and they just about fell over laughing because no one says that here, although everyone knows what it means.

That’s a new one on me, too, never heard another Aussie use. Rubbishing as a verb either. As far as disliking genres I pretty much hate all things industrial, and I know you hate prog. Black metal, something we both enjoy, it seems our taste is fairly different.

NP: A Canorous Quintet - Silence of the World Beyond