What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Realm of Chaos - Vanguard EP, German death metal, 4 tracks of well done cavernous Bolt Thrower worship.

Pręgierz - Blood Sanctions, 2021, deliciously brutal and primitive Slav black/death from Poland.

Necroprofanator - Bestial Evil Devastation, 2020, Italian war metal with a NSFW cover. The goats are randy today. Once I get on one of these Sunday afternoon war metal binges no other sub-genre can hope to measure up. 

Goatscrote - Annihilation Lust EP 2021, Toronto Canadia. Best goat name of the day, I had no choice but to click on it. I actually dig this, but doubt anyone else here would be interested.

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

This is artsy prog-black for the artsy intellectuals who fancy themselves black metallers but don't really like black metal.

I either don't take the bait or I argue, but I haven't listened to this album so I'm not equipped to argue. But I suspect you are wrong...😜

15 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

In a perfect world, though, I'd really like U.S. black metal to move a little further toward Absu territory, but seeing as Proscriptor is currently on the black list of larger metal websites

So is Nightbringer

Vampyric Winter - My Last Vampyric Winter Among These Ruins

https://vampyricwinter.bandcamp.com/album/my-last-vampyric-winter-among-these-ruins

a3399279572_16.jpg

17 hours ago, Arioch said:

The first 3 Hate Eternal albums are untouchable in my eyes, but after that I stopped following the band.

That's not to say I've found an equivalent band to listen to, but I don't like the way Eric Rutan makes his productions sound. It spoils my enjoyment.

Those first 3 are amazing!  For me, my favorite album is actually 2008's "Fury & Flames".  It takes awhile for everything to digest with that album, since it's especially chaotic all the way through, even for death metal's standards.  "Infernus" was the album that took awhile to grow on me, but I can now honestly say I enjoy every single album from Hate Eternal.  Hoping they're not completely done, but we'll see!

2 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

So is Nightbringer

That's news to me. They're based out of Colorado right? I guess I've only been on extended visits (to both the rural areas and larger cities), but it didn't exactly strike me as a stronghold for the sort of stuff that might land you on the shit list. Ah well. I'll have to Google it.

NP:  Ka'Bandha - Warlords of the Icy Void

▶︎ Warlords Of The Icy Void | Ka'Bandha | Ithildin Tape Production (bandcamp.com)

a4136631791_10.jpg

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

That's news to me. They're based out of Colorado right? I guess I've only been on extended visits (to both the rural areas and larger cities), but it didn't exactly strike me as a stronghold for the sort of stuff that might land you on the shit list. Ah well. I'll have to Google it

No need....They used a quote from Julius Evola at the beginning of a song on the Terra Damnata album along with mentioning that his writings were part of their inspiration for the album and basically sent everyone into pearl clutching mode.

Said blackballing also applies to Akhlys and Bestia Arcana as well

13 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

No need....They used a quote from Julius Evola at the beginning of a song on the Terra Damnata album along with mentioning that his writings were part of their inspiration for the album and basically sent everyone into pearl clutching mode.

I knew nothing of this and since I can't understand a word they sing I'm not sure I should care. Evola was a deranged and most unpleasant individual though. Edgelords must get bored with denouncing Christianity and praising Satan. You can't denounce Christanity enough I agree but it's hardly controversial in metal circles to do so and I am bored with it, and praising fucking Satan just perpetuates Christian ideology.

SEEK - Kokyou De Shinu Otoko. Cock you too. Pretty good though.

GESPENST - De sidste færd. The GG might agree this is BM. But will he like it?

NIGHTBRINGER - Death and...I listened again just to check. Yes I do like it. Yes it is BM and no, it is not boring at all.

50 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Ah. Obviously I'm not an admirer of Evola by any means, but I really don't have the wherewithal to check under my bed for fascists every night before I go to sleep. I'm secure enough in my principles to know random opposing opinions from a band I enjoy aren't a threat, and, in a way, refusal to even acknowledge the unideological aesthetic appeal of some artists on that basis would betray a very deeply rooted insecurity and vulnerability in myself.

All this is kind of just me making excuses, though. The real bottom line is I'm not going to deny myself good music on any moral basis. As many lapsed Christians are fond of saying "The devil has the best tunes."

NP: Arcada - Infernus Ardentis Monarcha

Infernis Ardentis Monarcha | Arcada | Narbentage Produktionen (bandcamp.com)

a3908367609_10.jpg

Edited by Nasty_Cabbage
Added NP

Prognan - Sve Je Tiho Na Istočnom Frontu, Croatia. I'm a sucker for these vintage historical WWI scenes on album covers. Although on closer inspection this photo looks like it might not actually be 100 years old. Music is good regardless, not quite my usual cloven hooved grunting Satanic fare there are some outside influences here but yet I just listened to this twice in a row and I just realized I'm 44 minutes into my 3rd go-round.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Edgelords must get bored with denouncing Christianity and praising Satan. You can't denounce Christanity enough I agree but it's hardly controversial in metal circles to do so and I am bored with it, and praising fucking Satan just perpetuates Christian ideology.

SEEK - Kokyou De Shinu Otoko. Cock you too. Pretty good though.

GESPENST - De sidste færd. The GG might agree this is BM. But will he like it?

NIGHTBRINGER - Death and...I listened again just to check. Yes I do like it. Yes it is BM and no, it is not boring at all.

I don't personally think I could ever get bored with denouncing Christianity. So I'm an edgelord now?

As far as these Satanic black metal bands I listen to so much of the time are concerned, I won't speak for the bands or for any other fans, but you know that I don't pay any attention to any of that Satan horseshit. True I do naturally gravitate toward music that sounds more aggressive, more caustic, more primitive, more hateful, more evil. Not that I could actually define for you what 'evil' sounds like, but I know it when I hear it because it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

But as far as any lyrical themes on offer I opt out of that part of it completely with all black and death metal. No idea what they could be screaming and growling about, I assume the lyrics are unintelligible for a reason, for those of us who don't wish to partake because we just don't care. I don't ever read metal lyrics and I generally don't even tend to think of these vocalists as if they're singing actual words that mean anything, to me the shrieking is just another sound in the mix. They might as well be singing nonsense syllables or nursery rhymes for all I care. For the most part I couldn't tell you which bands are singing for Satan and which ones aren't, or who's supposedly a Nazi and who's not. A good portion of the black metal I like the most isn't being sung in Englsish anyway (at least I don't think it is) so it literally is nothing but nonsense syllables to me.

I'm just here for the riffs and to bang my head. I'm not thinking about black metal in terms of being controversial or virtue signaling or anything like that. I listen mostly by myself in the privacy and solitude of my own home or car, and I post here under a pseudonym. Just an anonymous old man who enjoys dark evil sounding music.

And I really don't think the black metal industry is single-handedly perpetuating Christianity or keeping it alive by praising Satan. Clearly most normies and conservative Republican types don't even have the slightest notion that this shit even exists or they'd be up in arms and there'd be protests in the streets and Congressional hearings n shit and the plastic AI talking heads would be on tv every fucking day freaking out about the new Satanic Panic. It'd be just like the 80's all over again. Fortunately for me these uptight conservative morons all have their knickers in a bunch at the moment here in the states by the LGBTQ issues and specifically transgender issues, which they're completely obssessed with and freaked out about and that allows us evil degenerate Satanists and Devil worshippering black metal freaks to fly right under the radar unmolested and undeterred.

Gespenst - Den Sidste Færdb  (The Last Move) Denmark 2021, yeah Doc I've got this one as well as their 2016 debut Forfald (Decay). This is ferocious and top notch stuff. I've consulted the goats and we've deemed their brand of metal to be sufficiently evil, sinister and black enough to suit our demanding kvlt standards. No matter what the fuck they're shrieking about.

Today, I've made up my mind: I only listen to albums by bands from my country. There's no chauvinism here, it's just the way I feel today.

And I start with :

ADX - Exécution (1985)

ADX, a melodic speed band still going strong. One of the best representatives of the style in France, if not THE best.

16 minutes ago, Arioch said:

Today, I've made up my mind: I only listen to albums by bands from my country. There's no chauvinism here, it's just the way I feel today.

Can I ask you a question Monsieur? As it happens one of my exes' late father Rene was originally from Bretagne. Born in 1941, came across in the late 1950's and lived in the states for 50 years but never lost the thick accent. He and all his sisters always made such a big deal out of not just being French, but about being Bretagne. It really seemed to me like they thought of themselves as being separate from the rest of the country and from other Frenchmen. So my question is: do you 'regular' French dudes think of people from Bretagne or various other small out of the way regions as being separate from the rest of the country, or are they all the same, all just Frenchmen to you? Are the dialects that different to the point that you can hardly understand each other? Or do they basically just have a funny regional accent?

I think that the Bretons (inhabitants of Bretagne), like the Corsicans, would like to be independent. In Bretagne, for example, they have managed to have their road signs in French AND Breton (close to gaellic language).

I don't think they feel superior, but they do like to show off their beautiful region. But it's the same everywhere in France. People from the North, for example, emphasise their sense of hospitality.

I love a Breton joke:

I once asked a Breton how long it had been since the weather had been fine in his region.
He replied: I don't know, sir, I'm only 18. 😁

Massacra - Final Holocaust (1990)

When this album came out, it had the effect of a bombshell, revealing a band that was already mature for a first album. Death, far from the brutality of some bands, but with solid compositions.

15 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Are the dialects that different to the point that you can hardly understand each other? Or do they basically just have a funny regional accent?

Every French region has its own patois, its own language. Unfortunately, it is spoken less and less over the generations. I think it's a rich resource.

To answer your question, 50 years ago, yes: it must have been difficult for a neophyte to understand the Breton or Picardy language. But nowadays there are just a few expressions left and it's still understandable.

20 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I thought I'd get expansive because you said you needed some entertainment. But that will do now.

Haha dude types 4 sentences, calls that "expansive"  🤣

I've seen your pic Doc, you just don't project the image of a taciturn, solemn or morose individual. You look like you could even maybe crack a smile now and then and maybe even dip out to have a beer or two at the pub and watch the footy like a regular bloke.

1 minute ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Haha dude types 4 sentences, calls that "expansive"  🤣

I've seen your pic Doc, you just don't project the image of a taciturn, solemn or morose individual. You look like you could even maybe crack a smile now and then and maybe even dip out to have a beer or two at the pub and watch the footy like a regular bloke.

Nah! I don't believe it. He drives a BMW!

2 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Nah! I don't believe it. He drives a BMW!

I'm from New York where even people on food stamps drive fancy luxury cars and large $80k SUV's. Beemers are ubiquitous here, they're like entry level luxury. Driving an $80k electric Beemer don't mean shit, it's just another car. Not saying I think it's ugly or not a nice car, just that I don't think of a car as really being 'flash' unless it'll set you back a quarter mil. (all figures given in US dollars)

2020 BMW 5 series.

2020 BMW 5 Series Sedan Review, Pricing | 5 Series Sedan Models | CarBuzz