What Are You Listening To?

khaos

19 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

There is no doubt that AC/DC found their niche and they rode it, and good luck to them for doing it. I remember when they first started using a blow up Rosie in their live gigs, it was funny seeing a massive blow up doll with tits the size of small planets rising being the drum riser :)

Saw them once when I was about 16, For Those About to Rock....life changing haha. Will never forget that night. Remember the cannons like it was yesterday. Reckon that was '82.

55 minutes ago, markm said:

Saw them once when I was about 16, For Those About to Rock....life changing haha. Will never forget that night. Remember the cannons like it was yesterday. Reckon that was '82.

My favorite rock 'n roll band of all time!  I'm just sorry I never got a chance to see them live while Malcolm was in the band (I was born in 1990).  Their music never fails to lift my mood and get me moving.  Love them dearly. 

2 minutes ago, JamesT said:

My favorite rock 'n roll band of all time!  I'm just sorry I never got a chance to see them live while Malcolm was in the band (I was born in 1990).  Their music never fails to lift my mood and get me moving.  Love them dearly. 

They're unique as a hard rock institution. If you like hard rock, who doesn't love a little AC/DC? Even my daughter, born in 99, who told me Stairway to Heaven sounded like boring folk music likes AC/DC. They seem to straddle gender and generation like almost no one else. My daughter prolly couldn't tell me anything about Guns N Roses or Black Sabbath. But she knows AC/DC, Zeppelin and thanks to me The Ramones and might recognize a Metallica-but that's pushing it-haha. I used to play Fear of the Dark when she was a little girl. I should see if she still remembers. I guarantee you if I asked her if she knew who Iron Maiden are, she'd give me a blank duh look. Unfortunately I get to learn about bands like The Weekend from her. 

Spectral Wound/A Diabolic Thirst

15 minutes ago, markm said:

They're unique as a hard rock institution. If you like hard rock, who doesn't love a little AC/DC? Even my daughter, born in 99, who told me Stairway to Heaven sounded like boring folk music likes AC/DC. They seem to straddle gender and generation like almost no one else. My daughter prolly couldn't tell me anything about Guns N Roses or Black Sabbath. But she knows AC/DC, Zeppelin and thanks to me The Ramones and might recognize a Metallica-but that's pushing it-haha. I used to play Fear of the Dark when she was a little girl. I should see if she still remembers. I guarantee you if I asked her if she knew who Iron Maiden are, she'd give me a blank duh look. Unfortunately I get to learn about bands like The Weekend from her. 

Spectral Wound/A Diabolic Thirst

Haha oh boy!  Yeah, there's very little good music these days being made, in the mainstream at least.  Glad to hear she likes AC/DC, though!  Good ol' hard rock 'n roll with a lot of swing to it, and some incredibly energetic guitar work.  Angus Young is my favorite guitarist of all time.  I swear he could be falling down a flight of stairs while playing a solo and never miss a note.  I always wished I could play guitar like that.  I don't want to live in a world without AC/DC, although it's gonna happen some time.  Just gonna enjoy their new music while I can and never stop rocking out to their music forevermore!

My daughter was born in 1990. I could get her to listen to and even like some mainstream rock/metal type stuff as a kid, but then as a teen she thought my death metal was 'scary.' But that was almost 20 years ago and I have long since lost her to the mainstream world of pop, rap and R&B. So there's not much we can really share or learn from each other musically speaking as we basically hate each other's music. I love her all the same naturally. I still have hopes for the son who might get into metal one day, but he's only 8 atm so it's really too early to tell.

In the heirarchy of rock bands I have to put Zeppelin at the top. Unless you consider Sabbath to be a rock band, in which case obviously they'd be the big dog on top by far. AC/DC is definitely top 10, possibly even top 5 on a good day.

11 minutes ago, JamesT said:

there's very little good music these days being made, in the mainstream at least.

😲 dude, there has been more good music made just in the last 12 years since 2010 than in the entire previous 2,000+ year history of mankind's music making endeavors. What does 'mainstream' have to do with it? Good music is good music, no matter which stream it floats in.

I've already shut the door on most stuff from more than about 10 years ago. Sorry, no room at the Inn. My thinking is that if I've made it this far without some old 80's or 90's shit I figure what with me being so close to the end now I can probably make it the rest of the way without it. Unless maybe it's something that I used to have physically but I don't have digitally and I wake up one day with a wild hair up my ass that compels me to hear it, then I might make an exception and add it. Or maybe something I thought I had but I can't find it. I will occasionally make exceptions for random older stuff I come across that just completely blows me away, but these seem to be getting increasingly more rare each year. 90% of what I listen to is stuff from the current year or from the last several years. 

NP: Hecate - Une Voix Venue D’Ailleurs, France, one of my top 10's from 2018

LARES - Towards Nothingness. I enjoyed this, but unfortunately the best song was the first one.

LLNN - Unmaker. I thought to see what all the hype was about. OK background music while I was working in the garden but too screamo and djentish for Thatguy's refined taste.

QRIXKUOR - Poison Palinopsia. Yep. This is the real deal.

4 hours ago, JamesT said:

The old Metal-Fi crew know this, but the first gig I ever went to was Black Sabbath supported by AC/DC - at the old Sydney Stadium - 1970 something. Acca Dacca were a bunch of raw kids still playing their first hit - a cover of 'Baby Please don't Go'.

Man you really like that Qrixkuor almost like the way Kuke likes fairie bread, don'tcha? I have 5 minutes left to go on my Hecate, then I'm gonna give that Palinopsia another chance to shoot its best shot. I remember liking their 2016 release 3 Devil's Dance but that seems so long ago now, I havent listened to that one in a long time. I putting my faith in you Doc, don't let me down mate.

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

the first gig I ever went to was Black Sabbath supported by AC/DC - at the old Sydney Stadium - 1970 something. Acca Dacca were a bunch of raw kids still playing their first hit - a cover of 'Baby Please don't Go'.

November 5th 1974. How old were ya then Doc? You beat my first real concert (Feb '77) by just over 2 years, I was 15.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I putting my faith in you Doc, don't let me down mate.

You won't like it.

November 5th 1974. How old were ya then Doc? You beat my first real concert (Feb '77) by just over 2 years, I was 15.

Nah, it was before that. I was still at school - 16 or 17.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Nah, it was before that. I was still at school - 16 or 17.

You're remembering wrong Doc. 

This 1974 "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" tour was the only time Sabbath played Australia supported by AC/DC (who only just formed in 1973 and played their first ever live gig at the Masonic Hall in the lovely suburb of Brighton Le-Sands, right by the Sydney airport just a month earlier on October 5th 1974) So you either saw them on the 5th of November, or it could have been the 9th, 10th, or the 11th.

November 5, 1974 Horden Pavilion, Sydney, AUS (supported by AC/DC)

November 7, 1974 Festival Hall, Brisbane, AUS (supported by AC/DC)

November 9-11, 1974 Horden Pavilion, Sydney, AUS (supported by AC/DC)

November 12, 1974 Festival Hall, Melbourne, AUS

November 14, 1974 Memorial Drive Park, Adelaide, AUS (supported by Status Quo)

November 16, 1974 Hordern Pavilion, Sydney, AUS

Sabbath had played 5 dates in Australia 22 months earlier in Jan '73 on the Volume 4 tour, but no AC/DC obviously as they didn't exist yet. Black Sabbath had never played down under before this.

January 13, 1973 Kooyong Stadium, Melbourne, AUS (supported by Ticket)

January 16-17, 1973 Hordern Pavilion, Sydney, AUS (supported by Buffalo and Ticket)

January 18, 1973 Festival Hall, Brisbane, AUS (supported by Ticket)

January 19, 1973 Apollo Stadium, Adelaide, AUS (supported by Ticket)

Grima - Devotion to Lord (2015)

On my ratings spreadsheet that I keep (nerd alert!!), I have this down as a 2/5 and I normally don't even keep stuff that falls below 2.5.  Listening back now it sounds the wrong side of earthy in that it actually suffers badly from the production (on a bm record, I know!) as the tremolo sounds like the tape is whirring down.  This revisit is not boding well for retention of this in my stream.

EDIT - does get better in fairness - probably should be billed as more being a demo than a full album though.

This 1974 "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" tour was the only time Sabbath played Australia supported by AC/DC (who only just formed in 1973 and played their first ever live gig at the Masonic Hall in the lovely suburb of Brighton Le-Sands, right by the Sydney airport just a month earlier on October 5th 1974) So you either saw them on the 5th of November, or it could have been the 9th, 10th, or the 11th.

It didn't seem quite right to me so I checked. The October '74 gig was the first with Bon Scott. The band had played many gigs before that. I was thinking "how the hell does a band open for Black Sabbath a month after their first gig?"

I mean, its pretty impressive anyway opening for Sabbath after a year, but they did have a track record as a solid live band. 

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Well, I'm old...

Alright then, it must have been '74. I had left school and I was 18. Bon Scott was singing...

So, in fact my first actual gig was 'Sirius' and I was still at school then - at Macquarie University - we got in for free by climbing in a window at the back of the building. Sirius were an expat Yugoslav band fronted by two saxophone players. They were big in Sydney for a bit...

But no! It may have been 'Tully' at the Arts Factory - a hippie venue in Surrey Hills. Tully were the archetypal Aussie hippie band. I had long hair and side levers that were the next best thing to a beard. They didn't allow beards at school but no-one could stop us growing our hair.

13 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

My daughter was born in 1990. I could get her to listen to and even like some mainstream rock/metal type stuff as a kid, but then as a teen she thought my death metal was 'scary.' But that was almost 20 years ago and I have long since lost her to the mainstream world of pop, rap and R&B. So there's not much we can really share or learn from each other musically speaking as we basically hate each other's music. I love her all the same naturally. I still have hopes for the son who might get into metal one day, but he's only 8 atm so it's really too early to tell.

In the heirarchy of rock bands I have to put Zeppelin at the top. Unless you consider Sabbath to be a rock band, in which case obviously they'd be the big dog on top by far. AC/DC is definitely top 10, possibly even top 5 on a good day.

😲 dude, there has been more good music made just in the last 12 years since 2010 than in the entire previous 2,000+ year history of mankind's music making endeavors. What does 'mainstream' have to do with it? Good music is good music, no matter which stream it floats in.

Oh yeah, there's certainly been a lot of great rock/metal released in the last 12 years.  When I said "mainstream", I was referring to the pop stuff you hear on the radio, where image and a soundboard used for autotuning is all you need to get a record deal these days.  But totally agree, there's been tons of great metal released in recent years!

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

LARES - Towards Nothingness. I enjoyed this, but unfortunately the best song was the first one.

LLNN - Unmaker. I thought to see what all the hype was about. OK background music while I was working in the garden but too screamo and djentish for Thatguy's refined taste.

QRIXKUOR - Poison Palinopsia. Yep. This is the real deal.

The old Metal-Fi crew know this, but the first gig I ever went to was Black Sabbath supported by AC/DC - at the old Sydney Stadium - 1970 something. Acca Dacca were a bunch of raw kids still playing their first hit - a cover of 'Baby Please don't Go'.

Man, that's awesome!  I'd give anything to have seen that show.  If they ever invent time travel, I'll be heading to that show, among just a select few others! 

7 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Grima - Devotion to Lord (2015)

On my ratings spreadsheet that I keep (nerd alert!!), I have this down as a 2/5 and I normally don't even keep stuff that falls below 2.5.  Listening back now it sounds the wrong side of earthy in that it actually suffers badly from the production (on a bm record, I know!) as the tremolo sounds like the tape is whirring down.  This revisit is not boding well for retention of this in my stream.

EDIT - does get better in fairness - probably should be billed as more being a demo than a full album though.

Did you check out their 21 effort, Rotten Garden? I thought it was pretty good woodsy BlackMetal w/ enough aggression to keep me tuned.