Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

Nice day to have some dimmies, have some dimmies, have some dimmies!!

Cosmic Psychos - NDTGTTP

oi mate, what the fuck is a dimmie?

On 10/23/2021 at 7:03 PM, KillaKukumba said:

Tartar by the glass? No where I go is that generous :(

That's one thing that absolutely shocked me when I was in Australia, that they're keen to charge you extra for tomato sauce n condiments n shit. Like to the tune of 50 cents for each wee little packet. WTF? Ketchup in America is a constitutional right. 

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

That's one thing that absolutely shocked me when I was in Australia, that they're keen to charge you extra for tomato sauce n condiments n shit. Like to the tune of 50 cents for each wee little packet. WTF? Ketchup in America is a constitutional right. 

Yeah that's a joke. I think it changed sometime in the 90's, maybe as early as they 80's, when someone, probably a marketing genius from the sauce company, offered shops little packets of sauces and tartar etc and told the stores they could charge 10 cents extra for it. It stayed at 10c for a little while, some even offered it free, but then it didn't take long to jump to 20c, then 50c. There are some shops that still offer it for nothing, but not many.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Well alright then, seems I've figured it out on my own. Dim sum, or dim sim as you lot spell it. We have them here too we just generally call them dumplings or wontons. I used to get garlic sauce to dip mine in instead of soy.

Mr. Inbetween 3x09 - Dimmies

Mr Inbetween is a good choice!

Dim sum is an asian meal, a large range of small dishes delivered to a table. Dim sims are an aussie invention created by Chinese immigrants cooking in the goldfields in around the 1930's and then sold heavily through Melbourne pre WWII. They are like dumplings but generally the inners are different, usually mutton and cabbage but the skin isn't a wonton wrapper it's a dough like substitute. The skin is thicker and holds better. Like dumplings they can be fried or steamed but they do taste quite different from a genuine chinese/asian dumpling.

I usually dip mine is a mix of soy and chilli sauce if they are steamed or just add salt if they are fried.

I don't think we are that crazy :P

For most of the 80 odd years we've been making them the rumours have been that they are filled with stray cats and dogs that feed out of the bins behind Chinese Restaurants. But we wouldn't put beetroot in them!! The big downside these days is that even many of the take away shops and restaurants actually sell commercially made dim sims now rather than make their own.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:59 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Best fish & chips I've ever had was Baramundi from some little hole in the wall in New Plymouth, NZ. Ketchup is ok for the fries/chips but I'd never let it touch my fish. Either tartar sauce or nothing. Only downside to that meal was the seagulls were relentless in their pursuit of our spare table scraps. Sitting at the picnic table when we were done eating I was tossing our leftover chips up into the air for them and they were not hitting the ground. 

I'm suddenly in the mood for an Irish spice bag. Must Google a recipe....

I've had some good fish and chips in NZ too gg. North Island but that is as much as I can remember. Some where remote 😁 

Good shout re taratare sauce on fish. That's very very good imo 👍 ketchup was 2nd choice. BBQ sauce is something I wouldn't put on the fish. 🤮

The seagulls are sometimes lethal. I've seen them nick people's dinner whilst some one  was eating it. Very aggressive and intimidating they can be. It's no joke really but can be bit funny😂 

On 9/22/2021 at 12:53 AM, Natassja said:

Kinder choco bon bons. So gorgeous. Wish they made the bags bigger.

Natassja good mention of those bon bon kinder things. I had one at my parents and even though  it was very very out of date.( It had turn to dust for some of it) It was still tasty. 👍 

5 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

I don't think we are that crazy :P

For most of the 80 odd years we've been making them the rumours have been that they are filled with stray cats and dogs that feed out of the bins behind Chinese Restaurants. But we wouldn't put beetroot in them!! The big downside these days is that even many of the take away shops and restaurants actually sell commercially made dim sims now rather than make their own.

But yet unless you specify not to, you know them Aussies will gleefully put their beetroot all over your burger by default which is much crazier if you ask me. Because I mean sure, in general I like beets as much as anyone, but not on a bloody burger.

Yes, as I've said before the meat patty itself IS the burger. WIthout a ground (mince) meat patty it doesn't matter what you put between the buns it's just a sandwich. But Americans don't generally include cucumbers, beets or eggs on our burgers. You can get an egg on yours if you really like, I've seen that done a couple of times but that's a special thing, we'd call that a breakfast burger.

Personally, besides the beef patty of course, my ultimate burger has: pepper jack cheese, (I'll take pretty much any kind of sliced cheese except for American) double grilled onions (non-negotiable, raw onions won't suffice) bacon, tomato, avocado, and either mayo or preffereably chipotle mayo/aioli. I'll sometimes take lettuce as well if I'm out somewhere but not always because they seem to want to put shredded lettuce on everything over here and the shredding kind of ruins it for me. When I very rarely make burgers at home I use spinach leaves in place of the lettuce.

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But yet unless you specify not to, you know them Aussies will gleefully put their beetroot all over your burger by default which is much crazier if you ask me. Because I mean sure, in general I like beets as much as anyone, but not on a bloody burger.

There's yer problem. Beetroot is good stuff but I agree it does not belong in a burger, and most especially if it is the disgusting pickled version that is put in our burgers. I never wanted to try beetroot after tasting that shit once and I missed out on the earthy goodness of the rooting beet for years and years.

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

There's yer problem. Beetroot is good stuff but I agree it does not belong in a burger, and most especially if it is the disgusting pickled version that is put in our burgers. I never wanted to try beetroot after tasting that shit once and I missed out on the earthy goodness of the rooting beet for years and years.

Pickled just about anything isn't a good idea. Those pickled cucumbers that many places use are an acquired taste but putting them on a burger is not sensible.

I have never been a fan of pickles. They disgust me. I get that some people think that pickles are the greatest food in the world, but something about the flavor and consistency really turns me off. I used to hate mayonnaise as well but I developed the ability to tolerate small amounts of mayo on burgers and sandwiches now whereas I cannot tolerate pickles at all and if I get a burger, they have to make it without pickles because just the residual flavor of the pickle on my burger is enough to gross me out.

I love cabbage though (not coleslaw, that's too much mayonnaise for me). Holubsti is one of my favorite foods but I don't make it often because having to steam the cabbage is a pain in the ass. But I make cabbage and noodles every now and then with a high quality butter... it's not terribly good for you but no comfort foods are.

23 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Asian food gave me a different perspective on pickled veggies. They're a big part of why I like Korean and Vietnamese rice bowls and banh mi so much. Kimchi can be pretty good, too. Sour and fermented foods usually make me pretty happy.

True. But I had enough kimchi to last me a lifetime when I spent some time in South Korea some years ago.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

True. But I had enough kimchi to last me a lifetime when I spent some time in South Korea some years ago.

Korean food is great. It is very hard (and hilarious) to explain the concept of low carb there, however. Saying you don't eat a lot of noodles or rice gets the same look as saying you live on the moon.

I remember as kids those other unsavoury kids, not me of course, would have pickle races at McDonalds. No one would eat the pickle on their burger so no sooner was the meal on the table than pickles came out and got thrown at the window and the first on to hit the floor won!

Such childish behaviour, I'm glad I was never a part of it!