Whatcha Eatin'?

RelentlessOblivion

As much as it has obvious religious connections I've never associated them with anything other than 25 days of chocolates leading up to Christmas. I never had them as a kid and my mum was religious, I knew nothing about them until my wife insisted on buying them for the kids. She's even less religious than I am so I can only assume it's all about the chocolate.

They are definitely an Americanism creeping into Australia.  Yes my daughter has one.

More mindless consumption...

On 12/10/2021 at 6:50 AM, KillaKukumba said:

I remember having only two channels to watch as recently as the 80's. In the city there was 3 commercial channels, one government owned station and in some areas a multilingual channel, but in the country we had only the government owned channel and a mix of the 3 commercial ones. Who chose the mix for commercial TV I don't know but it was pretty terrible. Wasn't until about '89 that the government forced TV stations onto the UHF band that regional areas started to get a choice of all the networks the city had. A very large part of the country still only has access to 2 tv stations.

We had 4 in Sydney 7, 9, 10 and ABC in the 1980s.  We couldn't get SBS.

But only 2 in Tassie when I moved here in 1988-89 - Tas TV and ABC.

Now we have a dozen or more and I still don't watch free to air TV.  

23 hours ago, Balor said:

Advent calendars are definitely a thing in the US.  I have one for my cats!

Thanks for clearing this up balor. Thought it was just commonwealth countries and Europe. Lucky cats 🐈 getting advent calendar. 

23 hours ago, Balor said:

Advent calendars are definitely a thing in the US.  I have one for my cats!

Thanks for clearing this up balor. Thought it was just commonwealth countries and Europe. Lucky cats 🐈 getting advent calendar. 

18 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

As much as it has obvious religious connections I've never associated them with anything other than 25 days of chocolates leading up to Christmas. I never had them as a kid and my mum was religious, I knew nothing about them until my wife insisted on buying them for the kids. She's even less religious than I am so I can only assume it's all about the chocolate.

In the UK there popular and most dont have any religious pictures on them relating to the birth of Jesus. Its just 🎅 Santa who is a Christian saint apparently, snow men and baubles from my experience.

It's a fun way to count the days down to Christmas I'd have thought and daily helpings of chocolate 😋

This year I have noticed a bit of variety, and there has always been the expensive alcohol ones for adults (well I presume they are for adults), but I've never noticed anything religious. I suppose they were out there I just never looked because the kids wanted <insert biggest kid movie of the year>, or My Little Pony, or some other such themed thing. It's probably the cheapest made chocolate known to man, it's cheap cardboard packaging, and they can be up to 10 times the price of a block of chocolate but the kids get a little picture and a chocolate a day....A chocolate a day keeps the doctor away...actually that might not be right!

On 12/14/2021 at 12:51 AM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

In Holland and Belgium they have 100s and 1000s on toast for breakfast. Probably called some thing else but there essentially the same.  When my sister brought us a load of different favours one Christmas morning from Holland we all thought it was very strange. We'd all only put them on ice cream before. But now  I think there good on some bread or toast with plenty of butter.The 75%cocoa ones were a favourite that day.  Though not had any for few years now. There low economy food for my guessing and I think they taste good . I remember googling how much sprinkles cost.  Bulk was very cheap but we decided against ordering a 20kg bag that day. No commitment 😂

I am from the Netherlands (don't call it Holland though, that's only a small part of The Netherlands) and sprinkles are definitely a breakfast thing, especially with combination with peanutbutter. 

4 hours ago, Sterre said:

I am from the Netherlands (don't call it Holland though, that's only a small part of The Netherlands) and sprinkles are definitely a breakfast thing, especially with combination with peanutbutter. 

I wrongly assumed Netherlands and Holland are the same thing but there not. At least I know now😁thanks 

3 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Well at least it's better than mixing peanut butter with jelly!

That's a good one😁 obviously your not a fan of it. I like that combination. 😋but I know many who don't like it. 

TBH I have never had it and never will. We've heard it mentioned on American TV shows and movies since I was a kid but it's not something I have ever had the desire to try. When I first heard about PB&J's I thought it was just weird to have jelly on a sandwich because in Australia jelly is that stuff you feed kids to shut them up, serve it straight, with cream, with ice cream, of even a Frog In A Pond, but not on bread. Since the about the 1930's Australia as had ads on radio, and then on TV for a product called Aeroplane Jelly, it's just not stuff you spread on bread. In this country it's probably more often referred to as peanut butter and jam, but I'm still not interested.

I like peanuts as well as most other kinds of nuts just by themselves, but I don't want peanuts in any form on my savory food. My wife used to love to order Pad Thai with extra peanuts to sprinkle over the top and on those Thai nights I would always get some kind of red or yellow curry, nothing with peanuts. I had never tried Thai food or any kind of Asian or Indian curry before I met her, but nowadays I'd say my Anglicized Indian inspired curry stir fry over brown Basmati rice is probably my favorite thing to make for dinner. Didn't even know what sambal was, I had to Google it. When I hear chili peppers I think of Latin food & flavors, not Asian. 

Chilis and peppers have been a fairly large part of Asian cooking since about the 15th century when they were introduced. Different areas/regions use it differently, some use it as a flavour enhancer, some use it for heat, some use it as the hero ingredient. Some reports actually put the chili as one of the most important things in global trading of foods because it did spread so far. China now also account for about half the green chilis grown in the world.

4 hours ago, Sterre said:

Peanut butter in combination with sambal is also really good! Try it :)

Sterre you got the conversation started with sambal.👍😁 Not heard of it. After  Googling it. Looks alright. I bet my mum has it. Last time I visited I tried some very nice morrocan herb and spice mixes of hers. That's most similar thing I've had recently.  Re sambal Maybe Tesco has it. That's pretty much where all my food comes from. 

55 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Well dammit, now I'm seriously craving Asian food, and it's not gonna happen tonight. Oh well. Made some tofu and veggie curry last night, which was ok. The memories will have to tide me over.

I can relate to that. I feel the same way :)

Might have to be a satay chicken given the talk of peanuts and chili

1 minute ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Sterre you got the conversation started with sambal.👍😁 Not heard of it. After  Googling it. Looks alright. I bet my mum has it. Last time I visited I tried some very nice morrocan herb and spice mixes of hers. That's most similar thing I've had recently.  Re sambal Maybe Tesco has it. That's pretty much where all my food comes from. 

You've probably never heard of it because it doesn't come in a 10 kg bag. (😜 couldn't resist) I'd never heard of it because I know it as chili paste which I have some of in the cupboard. I'm not as familiar with the finer points Asian cooking as some other kinds because I'm a long way from Asia and I generally get my Asian food out somewhere cooked for me by actual Asians that know what they're doing. Same with Indian food although one drawback to where I currently live is that there are no Indian take out places anywhere up here in the sticks. So rather than drive 45 minutes to an hour each way when I have a craving for Indian food I've learned to make my own bastardized anglo version because I love the flavors. And this way I can put a bunch of different veggies in my curry stir fry concoction which they don't do at the Indian restaurants.

I add vegies to certain stir frys. Other than the relatively normal carrots and onions I don't really add anything but peas to a Satay, but many other Asian dishes I add anything from relatively standard water chestnut slices and baby corn to cucumbers and cauliflower. About the only thing I don't add to a stir fry which most asian shops here do is broccoli.

I used to work next to an Indian restaurant, he did some amazing meals for us, but most of my Asian recipes come from my wife's side of the family, her parents ran multiple Chinese restaurants.

The most delicious sambal is from Surinam in my opinion. Sambal is very common in lots of food cultures, Asian, Middle Eastern. In The Netherlands, we have lots of Indonesian food (Indonesia was a Dutch colony once) and lots of Surinam food, so sambal is quite common here too. You can eat it with so much more than just asian food though.

18 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I noticed! You can also easily make it yourself. You just need some red peppers, a madame jeannet pepper, garlic, onion, ketjap manis (do you guys have that?), sugar, oil.

2 hours ago, Sterre said:

ketjap manis (do you guys have that?)

That's a product that changes names, or spelling in different countries. We spell it KECAP manis in Australia, but I've seen it spelt a number of other ways depending on the brand name on the bottle. Most people here still call it Sweet Soy Sauce because they don't know how to pronounce kecap.

On a different note I cracked open the swiss lindt chocolate spread. Twice as much nuts as Nutella. 25% nuts. I think it's so good. I say 👍😁 not having much as I've agreed to open it Monday. ☺️

23 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You've probably never heard of it because it doesn't come in a 10 kg bag. (😜 couldn't resist) I'd never heard of it because I know it as chili paste which I have some of in the cupboard. I'm not as familiar with the finer points Asian cooking as some other kinds because I'm a long way from Asia and I generally get my Asian food out somewhere cooked for me by actual Asians that know what they're doing. Same with Indian food although one drawback to where I currently live is that there are no Indian take out places anywhere up here in the sticks. So rather than drive 45 minutes to an hour each way when I have a craving for Indian food I've learned to make my own bastardized anglo version because I love the flavors. And this way I can put a bunch of different veggies in my curry stir fry concoction which they don't do at the Indian restaurants.

Too true. 😁I reckon a 10kg or 30kg bag is what it should come in.  

In Cambridge UK there are loads of good Indian restaurants. Will probably try local one that came 9th in UK curry cup. It's a thing honest 😉

Its good to do cooking. I should do more but I'm a lazy fecker😁 

23 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

I add vegies to certain stir frys. Other than the relatively normal carrots and onions I don't really add anything but peas to a Satay, but many other Asian dishes I add anything from relatively standard water chestnut slices and baby corn to cucumbers and cauliflower. About the only thing I don't add to a stir fry which most asian shops here do is broccoli.

I used to work next to an Indian restaurant, he did some amazing meals for us, but most of my Asian recipes come from my wife's side of the family, her parents ran multiple Chinese restaurants.

I thought all the Chinese restaurants down that way mainly sold fish & chips? Or is that only in New Zealand?

Some restaurants sell non Asian meals, especially kids meals, but most of the decent restaurants will have 30+ different Asian meals on the menu. My wife's 'family' recipe book has more than 200 entries and her father used use 30-40 on a menu at any time.

We do have a lot of fish and chips shops run by Asians, they used to be mostly run by Greeks, hence why many people here used to call fish and chips a Greek Roast, but not so much now.