Controversial Metal Opinions

7YearsOfBlood

I disagree wholeheartedly. I'm willing to give any artform a chance to make a lasting impression. If it does then I will come back to it, if it doesn't then I won't. I think I'd lose my passion for art and more specifically for music if I were to delve too deeply into it. Your argument that I greatly limit myself by not broadening my horizons may be apt but my horizons include the aforementioned metal genres and classic rock, progressive rock, flamenco, blues, some jazz, classical music, various kinds of folk music and I can appreciate many other musical forms without actually liking them as a whole.

Re: Controversial Metal Opinions

I'm not that into Immortal' date=' but I always really liked their Blizzard Beasts album. However I hear that most fans didn't like it and in an interview Abbath said they had bitten off more than they could chew with that album.[/quote'] Blizzard Beasts is probably their most Bathory inspired albums. Really choppy and chaotic and kind of sloppy, but I dig it. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

It is very much an individual issue I think. What one does and does not care for is entirely on them. It should also be mentioned that tastes can change. Before I joined this place I listened almost exclusively to TraditionalNWOBHM and Thrash. Now I listen to Black' date=' Death, Doom, Folk, Power and Progressive metal as well. It astounds me just how much excellent music I was missing out on just because I didn't think I'd like it.[/quote']

^ this is also why I can't stand the word "poser" anymore. Most of the time, you have no fucking clue what others' true motives are. It becomes a guessing game and you end up dismissing a lot of bands or even other music listeners because of superficial things. I've met some dudes that listen to the most underground shit and play only the "truest" metal, but they hold some petty grudge against everyone because they think their band should be famous instead of "that poser shit". Seems to me like you're the one who is in it for the cool points dude... Maybe some of these famous bands got there because they worked hard at marketing, and they're just humble dudes who may not be the best songwriters! This stuff has been on my mind a lot lately.

^ this is also why I can't stand the word "poser" anymore. Most of the time' date=' you have no fucking clue what others' true motives are. It becomes a guessing game and you end up dismissing a lot of bands or even other music listeners because of superficial things. I've met some dudes that listen to the most underground shit and play only the "truest" metal, but they hold some petty grudge against everyone because they think their band should be famous instead of "that poser shit". Seems to me like you're the one who is in it for the cool points dude... Maybe some of these famous bands got there because they worked hard at marketing, and they're just humble dudes who may not be the best songwriters! This stuff has been on my mind a lot lately.[/quote'] Isn't it funny? If it really is "all for the art", why do some bands get so bitter about never being elevated to the popularity of other bands which they themselves claim are aiming for more mainstream success? Maybe they are or maybe they're not, but if this is your assumption, then you are answering your own question. Popular music is popular because it is easy to listen to, and is in the mainstream because it has baseline appeal to a large group of people. Especially if you're so concerned with "staying underground", why would never reaching the heights of mainstream bands upset you? If I was concerned about popularity, I would likely be upset that we still have half of our NTNR CDs at Mike's house, and would be trying to figure out how to become more accessible to sell more copies. Fuck that, we printed a bunch because we got a good deal and were optimistic, but that music is ours and it expresses feelings that I couldn't otherwise express. I don't really give a shit if nobody likes our new album, which is even less accessible and weirder than our last album, it has everything to do with what we want to say with it. If I'm happy with it, that's all I need. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Which reminds me BAN I might be in the market for another copy of NTNR to give to a friend of mine. I showed her one of your tracks about a month ago and completely forgot about it until recently.
Sounds good, we have copies remaining and you know how to get a hold of us. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds good, we have copies remaining and you know hoe to get a hold of us. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
One would use a hoe? Odd... :D In all seriousness, I really enjoyed the album and I'm pissed off, because the CD is trapped in my wife's laptop, which just died. I need to dismantle it to remove the CD. Tiny screwdrivers.

One would use a hoe? Odd... :D In all seriousness, I really enjoyed the album and I'm pissed off, because the CD is trapped in my wife's laptop, which just died. I need to dismantle it to remove the CD. Tiny screwdrivers.
Indeed, posting almost solely from my phone gives me a bit less oversight into spelling errors. I'm glad you dug the album though, and I think you'll like the new one more based on what I've seen of your tastes. Whenever I gets done is another story... Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Speaking of Black Sabbath the more I listen to them the more I come to think they're really a terrible band that got lucky with a couple of albums. The only Sabbath albums I hold in high regard now are Dehumanizer (which I believe is their best album), Master Of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage. The rest of their discography is, in my opinion, very weak. The songwriting isn't up to scratch, the riffs feel tired and dated and the vocals simply don't feel right outside of those albums already mentioned.

Black Sabbath may have been the first doom metal band, if not necessarily the first metal band. I like most of their Ozzy material that I've heard, but I honestly haven't heard much from the Dio era. I think the song Mob Rules was on the Heavy Metal movie soundtrack. That might be the only one I've really listened to!

Judas Priest strike me as massively overrated, especially (as I've mentioned before) their Screaming For Vengeance album. I'm listening to Painkiller just now and it sounds fairly good but otherwise I just don't get the hype. From what I can tell, Iron Maiden has everything Priest has and more.

Judas Priest strike me as massively overrated' date=' especially (as I've mentioned before) their Screaming For Vengeance album. I'm listening to Painkiller just now and it sounds fairly good but otherwise I just don't get the hype. From what I can tell, Iron Maiden has everything Priest has and more.[/quote'] could not agree more.

Not that controversial, I don't get the hype around Screaming For Vengeance either I mean it's a decent album and the second best of their eighties material but that's not saying much. Defenders Of The Faith has everything vengeance has and more. Iron Maiden are a very different band, more focus on melody as opposed to the twin guitar riff-fests of Priest. Which sets me up nicely for my next opinion: Angel Witch are far superior to Iron Maiden.

Speaking of Black Sabbath the more I listen to them the more I come to think they're really a terrible band that got lucky with a couple of albums. The only Sabbath albums I hold in high regard now are Dehumanizer (which I believe is their best album)' date=' Master Of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage. The rest of their discography is, in my opinion, very weak. The songwriting isn't up to scratch, the riffs feel tired and dated and the vocals simply don't feel right outside of those albums already mentioned.[/quote'] I wouldn't say they got lucky so much as they ran out of ideas but had a career to maintain. Although who am I to say... I know people who like most of their stuff. It took me more than ten years to get into them at all, but I do really dig their early material, and I'd add Paranoid to your list. It's funny because aside from the odd song, I'm really not a solo Ozzy fan. He surrounded himself with great musicians, sure, but it's not my jam.

Do you hear the sound of Dave's heart breaking? Yeah... YOU did that.
What can I say? I'm a prog fan. I live to ruin people's fun. That said, I liked a handful of tracks off of Painkiller: Between The Hammer And The Anvil, Leather Rebel, Painkiller and A Touch Of Evil.

Slipknot are not a hardcore band. Hardcore is a sub-genre of punk and slipknot do not play in that style. Personally I don't care for hardcore or for slipknot but I've made those feelings quite clear.
Being practically a suburb of NY, here in NJ the word "hardcore" is the most bastardized word in all of music. Any one that plays some kind of 4/4 timing breakdown is considered hardcore. Hatebreed is about as close to hardcore as you're going to get and there is obviously a lot of metal infusion there. You're very correct. Hardcore was a subgenre of Punk Rock and had 3 major areas. CA, DC and NYC...Black Flag being west coast, Bad Brains spearheading DC and Agnostic Front became the Godfather's of NYC. Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags and then Madball. Why the frack people call a band like Slipknot or something ridiculous like Coal Chamber "hardcore" is f'ng beyond me. Truth be told, "REAL" hardcore guys, especially the old timers in the NYHC will not take kindly to that...these guys are pretty serious. Calling Slipknot hardcore would be like calling Blink 182 punk.

In that regard, I never quite understood the appeal of Slipknot. I don't think musically they have done anything that hasn't really been done and theatrically they haven't done anything anyone has done 35+ years earlier. I think they're overrated...I'm probably too old and too cold but I put all those lame ass Ozzfest bands in 1 bag of crap. I don't even consider them metal.