7YearsOfBlood

Controversial Metal Opinions

Rules: Don't be an elitist dick, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Remember that there is no such this as a 'mandatory metal band' and that it's totally ok to listen to bands that aren't metal, just don't go on about them here as it is a METAL FORUM. I'll start: I've never listened to Dio, Megadeth or Anthrax and I don't feel the need to. Power Metal, Death, Melo-death, Thrash and Symphonic metal are the best genres imho Johan Hegg is my favorite melo-death vocalist next to Angela Gossow. Blind Guardian are the best Power Metal band. Powerwolf is fucking epic. I like Cannibal Corpse, but they are overrated. There are much better death metal bands than them e.g Immolation

Don't like thrash, there you go I've said it on the forum but I think most of you knew that anyway. My fav music style is old school UK goth hence why Fields of the Nephilim are my fav band of all time. Because of this forum doom and funeral doom is now very close and not forgetting a bit of death. Another one, I like Metallica, not the early thrash stuff (I do like some of it) but the Black album etc. Blasphemy on a metal forum but there you go.

Bauhaus are another of my favs, only got to see them once though. :-( Seen the Sisters loads of times, Leeds anniversary gig was prob the best closely followed by them as the Speedkings in Ireland while warming up for the Vision thing tour. Again yes to Type O Negative, shame to loose Pete. The Cure where a little to poppy for me. Saw Fields of the Nephilim last year and got my tickets for this year which should be good as it another double header with The Mission, Seen them loads of times to. Was a regular at the Banshee in Manchester back in the day. Winkle picker boots, tight black jeans, black band t-shirt, black leather jacket and blue/black spiked hair like Daniel Ash from Bauhaus. Used to get loads of abuse around that time. lol

Rules: I'll start: Power Metal, Death, Melo-death, Thrash and Symphonic metal are the best genres imho Johan Hegg is my favorite melo-death vocalist next to Angela Gossow. Blind Guardian are the best Power Metal band. I like Cannibal Corpse, but they are overrated. There are much better death metal bands than them e.g Immolation
These opinions are hardly controversial, Blind Guardian are celebrated by many as the best power metal band out there. The genres you mentioned are pretty much the most listened to by all metalheads, except for old school heavy metal ala Sabbath, Motorhead, etc... Plenty of people adore Amon Amarth, and while Cannibal Corpse are one of the best selling death metal bands, I know a few people (myself included) that don't like them and/or find them to be overrated.

Okay-here's controversy, sort of. I gave a loan of a Halford CD to one of the lads in my section at work. Then another member of the section seen the poster inside it: rh.jpg He slagged me rotten-"What a faggot!" "That's the gayest thing on the planet!" all that sort of thing. I said that it wasn't 'gay' at all. It was The Metal God being metal!!!! I then said something stupid: "Look at the man. If you had to be bummed by any rock star on the planet, it would be him..." That was last year and I've still not heard the end of it. And I'm his boss too.....

I like the album "Untouchables" by Korn. Generally I hate Nu Metal and everything related to it, and I am not a big fan of Korn in general, but I kinda sorta love that album. I'm not even sure why I enjoy so much, but I do. Also I am a ridiculously huge fan of glam/hair metal. This probably isn't controversial to most, but I know some metalheads can't stand glam. And I absolutely adore it. Bahaha.

I like the album "Untouchables" by Korn. Generally I hate Nu Metal and everything related to it, and I am not a big fan of Korn in general, but I kinda sorta love that album. I'm not even sure why I enjoy so much, but I do. Also I am a ridiculously huge fan of glam/hair metal. This probably isn't controversial to most, but I know some metalheads can't stand glam. And I absolutely adore it. Bahaha.
i dont like the glam image cos it looks FUKIN WIERD guys look like trannys? ARR fot the wuk anyway i dont mind some motley songs, nitro is funny my mate looves peel stanther but i dont

Okay-here's controversy, sort of. I gave a loan of a Halford CD to one of the lads in my section at work. Then another member of the section seen the poster inside it: rh.jpg He slagged me rotten-"What a faggot!" "That's the gayest thing on the planet!" all that sort of thing. I said that it wasn't 'gay' at all. It was The Metal God being metal!!!! I then said something stupid: "Look at the man. If you had to be bummed by any rock star on the planet, it would be him..." That was last year and I've still not heard the end of it. And I'm his boss too.....
smash him one right in the boat race, with yer german bands, kick his bottle of rum to hell lololol

smash him one right in the boat race' date=' with yer german bands, kick his bottle of rum to hell lololol[/quote'] Ha Ha! We used to play "Moral dilemma's" in the office "If you had to have a guy bum yer arse, who would it be...?" But nobody wanted to be shagged in the hole! It was silly nonsense!!! That's when I said about Halford. But I don't want him to bum me!!!!!!

Don't like thrash' date=' there you go I've said it on the forum but I think most of you knew that anyway.[/quote'] Finally! I'm not a huge fan of thrash either. Paradox is awesome though. I also don't like black metal much. Don't like the style at all. Except Chthonic. I do like Volbeat's older stuff too. I don't know if that's controversial, but the band's kinda gone to sucking recently.

Re: Controversial metal opinions Yeah, I can't stand Volbeat. As far as the others go, just make sure you keep an open mind, and tastes do change over time. When I was first getting into metal, I really only liked thrash, melodeath, melodic/symphonic black metal, and some power and prog metal. It took time for me to come around to standard death metal, doom, sludge, more raw black metal, Viking metal, but now you guys have seen how much of that stuff I listen to over the original subgenres I mentioned. Sometimes you just need the right band to break you through the barrier and wrap your mind around it, other times just a simple revisit of something you hadn't heard in years, and it will suddenly click with you in a big way when it didn't at all before. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

You'll have to be a bit older, maybe, to appreciate this controversial opinion, but I HATE "rock n roll". Okay, there's some bands who are definitely rock n roll that I like; The Ramones, The Fuzztones, those garage/mod/psychadelic bands of the '60s. BUT! I detest the 'rock n roll' stereotype image-the rock bands who try and look like James Dean, slick back hair, turn-up jeans, leather jacket. I also detest those rock n roll trendies-they've got to have the swallows and playing cards tattoos, don't they? It's so "old school". And the girls have got to have bright red lip stick and a head scarf. My favourite bands include AC/DC and Motorhead. Folk now call them rock n roll. No they're not. Would Elvis have gone to a AC/DC gig if he hadn't eaten his body weight in burgers? Doubt it... And could you see the likes of Buddy Holly playing a cover of Overkill at 129 decibels? No! Rock n roll is a lazy, easy music to play-like pub blues. Anyone can play it. The classic rock/metal bands of the '70s may have been influenced by them, but they didn't play anything like that crap. Rock n roll is so bloody twee it makes me sick. Its usually bands who feel uncomfortable or snobby about the term 'metal' who label themselves rock n roll. As Brighton punks Peter & The Test Tube Babies sang: Elvis is dead Thank god! What a fat [email protected] he was!

So what you're saying is you don't like the original 50's/60's rock & roll, blues rock, and rockabilly type bands? That's fine I guess, but I would hardly call it lazy music. By the standards of the time, it was upbeat and energetic, not overly complex, but the only form of music that was in the day was jazz. It's basically blues with an added kick, and many of the bands you mentioned (especially The Ramones and Motorhead) were deeply influenced by that stuff. I won't admit to being an expert, or even somebody who knows much about the ins and outs of rock & roll's origins, but I can appreciate stuff like Chuck Berry when I hear it playing. Also, I don't know anybody that calls AC/DC rock & roll, they're pretty much the definition of hard rock, along with bands like ZZ Top, Aerosmith, etc...

oh wait yes I do I hate people who judge an artists solo projects on how they sound compared to said artists band, judging Halford by how it stacks up against Priest for example, now that's completely stupid, you can't compare the two they are entirely different entities, I had more but I'm in too good a mood to really get stuck in

Re: Controversial metal opinions

oh wait yes I do I hate people who judge an artists solo projects on how they sound compared to said artists band, judging Halford by how it stacks up against Priest for example, now that's completely stupid, you can't compare the two they are entirely different entities, I had more but I'm in too good a mood to really get stuck in
Definitely, this also applies to other bands from artists that differ from their main projects. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

So what you're saying is you don't like the original 50's/60's rock & roll, blues rock, and rockabilly type bands? That's fine I guess, but I would hardly call it lazy music. By the standards of the time, it was upbeat and energetic, not overly complex, but the only form of music that was in the day was jazz. It's basically blues with an added kick, and many of the bands you mentioned (especially The Ramones and Motorhead) were deeply influenced by that stuff. I won't admit to being an expert, or even somebody who knows much about the ins and outs of rock & roll's origins, but I can appreciate stuff like Chuck Berry when I hear it playing. Also, I don't know anybody that calls AC/DC rock & roll, they're pretty much the definition of hard rock, along with bands like ZZ Top, Aerosmith, etc...
I think you've misinterpreted what I was meaning, Blut. Maybe my fault in explaining it properly. Sure, I don't really go a bundle on the original rock n rollers, but, as you say, they were innovative and the best in their day. It's the modern day "rock n rollers" I cannot stick. That's the lazy music. It's already been done. And so's their bloody dress sense! Listen to bands nowadays which have that undeniable rock n roll sound-there's nothing new there, whatsoever. It's all so bloody contrived! Remember when Gary Moore couldn't write a decent hard rock tune? Folk stopped going to see him and stopped buying his albums. So what did he do?? He went and "played the blues, maaannnn." Then all the middle age bores went ape for him. It's the same thing. And loads of people call AC/DC rock n roll-mainly folk who like them but are not into other 'hard rock' bands. And AC/DC themselves regularly refer to themselves as rock n roll (how many songs of their's have "rock n roll" in the title?). But even if they were rock n roll, (which I doubt), they took Chuck Berry influences and created something totally original for the time. Ditto The Ramones. The modern day "rock n roll" bands are just trying to take an easy route to success, and that's bad for fans of exciting, guitar based rock/metal/punk or whatever. I've got the Motorhead logo tattooed on my arm, but if Headcat played in my back room I'd go upstairs and turn the telly up.

Re: Controversial metal opinions I don't think there are many modern rock bands on the charts that aren't just pop bands using rock techniques, so yes, modern rock is just as lazy as pop. Rock is dead, the divide is widening between pop music and everything else, and eventually there will only be music that is ridiculously saturated into the consumer market, and bands that are underground, nothing in between (sort of like how the middle class is disappearing). Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

for the metal scene which has always been partly underground that may improve the quality of the scene, we may see the death of metalcore as the consumer market moves steadily towards music devoid of instrumentation and bands will make music because they love what they're doing not to make money, of course it will also see the death of live music