Controversial Metal Opinions

7YearsOfBlood

Too me, Metal is Metal. It has gotten so out of hand with these sub-Genres. If you listen to it and you like it thats the end of it. I do understand a certain amount of Subs like thrash, death, power, etc... but come on. I like all sorts of metal and there are some i cant even listen to a minute of. But I give it a chance. This was just my opinion.

Re: Controversial Metal Opinions

No. Many slam bands use the same techniques as deathcore, the fans of each subgenre often share the same mindset of more brutal = better, and similarly the bands often compete to achieve the most brutal grooves. The similarities are more apparent in the bands that flirt with both styles, i.e. Waking the Cadaver, Ingested, etc. (even featuring similar gore/misogyny lyrics in some cases). It's all bro-dude music, but one subgenre is arguably more on the core side. I just think they're similar enough that it's hilarious to me when I hear slam enthusiasts hating on deathcore. Also, you just turned my comparison of genres into a comparison of bands. So how about this: it's more like me saying "Merle Haggard is the same as Johnny Cash". Arguably different, but I could point out more similarities in their music than between artists of two completely different genres.
I never said they don't sound similar, the point I made is that one tries to sound like the other, but does it from a different mindset and with a different goal. Techniques are not genres, competing over brutal grooves doesn't make them the same. Some slam death bands are very hip hop inspired and use beats found in that genre, does that make them the same? If this is the case, then Skeletonwitch and Devildriver are thrash, Killswitch Engage is death metal, Winds of Plague and is black metal, and Huntress is heavy metal. Sorry dude, I don't buy it anymore than the banjo solo on Taake's new album makes them a bluegrass band. It has everything to do with the feeling your music generates, which is why there is so much variety in any given genre. Yes, this variety is usually quashed in the mainstream, as it seems to be the style popularized by the most famous bands that carries on and generates the most buzz (where are all the retro death metal bands aping Master, Order From Chaos, Sadistik Execution, Demilich, etc...?), and gives the impression that it is just a combination of techniques that unite these bands. This is why there are so many Darkthrone, Helloween, Suffocation, Exodus, and Sleep clones. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I sometimes think since grunge and nu-metal got big that metal fans are too quick at hearing a band play a slow, detuned riff and calling it a sellout. IE, if a metal band in the 80s tried a song with a slow, detuned Sabbath ish riff, it was just a different style and no-one minded, but now metal fans are over dilligent at making sure their favourite bands only play fast, sharp thrash or it is a sell out.

That's not entirely true. I think the sell-out label comes into play when a band changes their sound in an obvious attempt to garner more commercial and mainstream success. Releasing a couple of good albums doesn't make you a good band in my opinion. Take Metallica for instance their first four albums are good but after that it's all downhill and fast. That doesn't make them a good band. They're just a band who happened to release a few good albums. Same goes for Cathedral.

That's not entirely true. I think the sell-out label comes into play when a band changes their sound in an obvious attempt to garner more commercial and mainstream success. Releasing a couple of good albums doesn't make you a good band in my opinion. Take Metallica for instance their first four albums are good but after that it's all downhill and fast. That doesn't make them a good band. They're just a band who happened to release a few good albums. Same goes for Cathedral.
What's the difference between "an obvious attempt to garner more commercial and mainstream success" and just choosing to write simpler, more concise songs because that style appeals to you? I don't know any good musicians who are completely one-sided. What's wrong with doing something different or changing your mind once in a while? For the record, I feel the same way you do about Metallica, but I have friends my age and older who get a lot more out of the newer stuff, who feel like they expanded their emotional range, got a lot more personal, stopped showing off so much, etc. They've taken several chances throughout their career, not least the black album - which you've got to remember was released before Nevermind took the industry by storm. And they did alienate a lot of fans starting with that album (including me, after a while); but they were well poised to stay afloat when the industry turned their back on "traditional" metal for the next few years. Aside from four songs on the black album, I can't stand anything they've done since 1991, but once again I think it's way too simple to say they "sold out", end of story.

I suppose it's the difference between Carcass deciding to go the direction they did on Heartwork (which I personally don't like but the band obviously felt that was how their sound should progress) and Metallica with the black album (which they admit was tailored to gain more mainstream success). Or maybe I'm just trying to justify an irrational hatred of bands who shift towards a more accessible and mainstream sound. Either way I fail miserably at it.

Black metal is terrible. Whoever thought painting their faces with clown paint and making noise that sounds like it was recorded in a public bathroom was a good idea? And quite frankly when every single song on every single album is about Satan it gets a little stale. I'm aware that not every black metal band is like this, but they all look and sound the same to me: corpse painted dudes with spikes everywhere with dramatic hand gestures, unintelligible band font and Satan Satan Satan.

I happen to enjoy black metal a great deal but it isn't something which appeals to everyone. I personally feel that Sludge Metal is terrible. I've given Neurosis, Crowbar, Eyehategod and other bands more then enough chances to impress me and none of them have. Nothing about the genre appeals to me and if truth be told I find it downright boring.

I really can't get into Judas Priest. I've listened to several albums and all of them only had one or two O.K. songs. One of my favorite MayheM albums is Chimera, which a lot of people say is one of their worst. On the other hand, I find their newest one, Ordo Ad Chao, boring, yet people said it was a great comeback after Chimera.

Black metal is terrible. Whoever thought painting their faces with clown paint and making noise that sounds like it was recorded in a public bathroom was a good idea? And quite frankly when every single song on every single album is about Satan it gets a little stale. I'm aware that not every black metal band is like this' date=' but they all look and sound the same to me: corpse painted dudes with spikes everywhere with dramatic hand gestures, unintelligible band font and Satan Satan Satan.[/quote'] This actually doesn't represent much black metal, mostly just the second wave Scandinavian scene and their worshippers. Unfortunately, that style seems to be one of the only ones represented by the metal media (even in the underground, for the most part), but there is a ton of black metal out there that has good production, deep lyrics (even if many are still satanic/luciferian allegories, though there are many pagan themes as well), and don't feature a bunch of clowns that look like panda bears wearing spikes. You can find plenty of examples in the Greek, Italian, French, and German scenes of this. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Guys I need help I thinking of buying of two katelepsy CDs from. A Webstore sec records. They. Said say shipped there CDs well packed. With out the jewel. Cases. And it's. extra. 2.00 with a jewel case. How the heck do they shipped. I hope not the disc it has some sort of packing with a in cardboard sleeve with album Art. Or. Just a. One cd cases like I have on nevertanzas ep in it guys. Can you help me on that www.sfcollector.ru

Guys I need help I thinking of buying of two katelepsy CDs from. A Webstore sec records. They. Said say shipped there CDs well packed. With out the jewel. Cases. And it's. extra. 2.00 with a jewel case. How the heck do they shipped. I hope not the disc it has some sort of packing with a in cardboard sleeve with album Art. Or. Just a. One cd cases like I have on nevertanzas ep in it guys. Can you help me on that www.sfcollector.ru
That's pretty common, especially for trades and underground sellers. Everything will be there, the booklet and inserts are usually wrapped up ib plastic, and the CDs are wrapped in separate plastic, all you would need to do is go to a regular store and buy some empty jewel cases (the ones I like are at Target) and put them in when you receive them. It saves a lot in shipping and is worth it if you're willing to take the time. Also, if you decide not to do it again, you could use it as a good opportunity to replace all of your broken jewel cases for CDs you already have. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Black metal is terrible. Whoever thought painting their faces with clown paint and making noise that sounds like it was recorded in a public bathroom was a good idea? And quite frankly when every single song on every single album is about Satan it gets a little stale. I'm aware that not every black metal band is like this' date=' but they all look and sound the same to me: corpse painted dudes with spikes everywhere with dramatic hand gestures, unintelligible band font and Satan Satan Satan.[/quote'] Black metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Hate to just copy a link here but it kind of settles the comments you have made about Black Metal. Surely, It isnt for everyone but thats why Metal is so obscure and different. There is something to be taken from all Sub-Genres of Metal that can appeal to the masses. The lo-Fidelity recording was due to budgetary restraints early on. It has been carried on to keep roots of the genre. The satanic content of the lyrics is what sort of defines Black Metal. If you give any Genre a good try I'm sure you find some bands that will peak your interest. I'm not the biggest Black metal fan (More into old school Death metal) but I give it a try. I really enjoyed Dimmu Borgir when I saw them play in LA even though I never even purchased a copy of any of their music prior. Very good live band. I know this was just your opinon of black metal so don't take this as me coming down on you for voicing your opinion, I just wanted to invite you to expand your horizons and challenge you to seek out a Black Metal band that appeals to you. Maybe you can list some aspects of metal music that you like and i am sure someone on here can assist in finding an artist that you just might enjoy. \m/

Now there's a "metal controversy" - Wikipedia! I don't get the hate for Wikipedia. I don't give a shit about how "accurate their information is" when it comes to metal bands, they're not a metal information website. Most bands are so far under the radar that they haven't been written about to begin with, and that's what Wikipedia is... a collection of sourced information. Not their fault they can't afford to spend the time deleting every page that every fucktard puts up about their tiny little band that no-one has ever heard of.

Black metal is terrible. Whoever thought painting their faces with clown paint and making noise that sounds like it was recorded in a public bathroom was a good idea? And quite frankly when every single song on every single album is about Satan it gets a little stale. I'm aware that not every black metal band is like this' date=' but they all look and sound the same to me: corpse painted dudes with spikes everywhere with dramatic hand gestures, unintelligible band font and Satan Satan Satan.[/quote'] Since we're talking about corpse paint, here's a dumb video that's kind of funny... 9QLbp7ONyh0

What the hell is math metal. I read a article on. Meshuggah in one mag they call math metal. Math metal Has Anyone heard of that
Bands that use weird time signatures and polyrhythms. Stuff that sounds "off-time". Prog bands like Rush and King Crimson did a lot of that too. Personally I don't like the label because I've heard people just apply it to anything that sounds confusing. Now it seems like anything that has chuggy parts that were inspired by Meshuggah is called "prog" and "math".

I don't think these are controversial, just not often said, but I always thought Iron Maiden's guitars sounded like folk fiddle music, Riverdance kind of thing, especially on tracks like The Trooper. I also think jazz sax players like Coltrane are not given enough credit for their influence on rock, his 60s Love Supreme record has a big Slash/Jimmy Page epic hard rock ballad solo feel.

I don't think these are controversial' date=' just not often said, but I always thought Iron Maiden's guitars sounded like folk fiddle music, Riverdance kind of thing, especially on tracks like The Trooper. I also think jazz sax players like Coltrane are not given enough credit for their influence on rock, his 60s Love Supreme record has a big Slash/Jimmy Page epic hard rock ballad solo feel.[/quote'] Now all I can see in my head is Michael Flatley prancing around onstage in front of Eddie... dancing arm in arm with Bruce... thanks a lot.:D