What Are You Listening To?

khaos

24 minutes ago, Arioch said:

Incantation - Diabolical Conquest (1998)

One of my favourite Death albums. I'll have to check out two more Incantation albums one of these days. I'm talking about Onward to Golgotha and Mortal Throne of Nazarene because they're the band's infernal trio, aren't they?

But I'm afraid I'll be disappointed by the first two, because I love Diabolical Conquest so much.

I was kinda the same. Diabolical Conquest rules, it's still my favorite by a mile. Mortal Throne and Onward are a lot less clear and crisp-sounding, and Craig Pillard's vocal delivery is also murkier than Corchado's. Some people hear that as "atmosphere" but to me it always sounded like shitty recording and I didn't dig it. In the past few years I've come around, especially to Mortal Throne. The music and energy are really good if you can listen past the lo fi sound.

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Seven Crowns and Seven Seals | Sulphur Aeon (bandcamp.com)

Released today. These guys are extremely consistent and this one seems to fit in with their catalog just fine. 

I really liked their first one, but have not been too enamored with subsequent efforts. Have a few friends who rave about these guys though. Guess I have nothing to lose by checking the new one out, it'll only cost 46 minutes of my time. Worst that can happen is I give up and click on something else, right?

Can report 10 minutes in it's not looking like a good bet that I'll finish this or even make it to the halfway point. People in the comments section seem to love it though, praising it as a masterpiece. So maybe it's just me. It's not terrible or anything, just not quite my speed. Seems to lack drive and purpose. But I'm actually 25 minutes in now so maybe I will stay with it til the end. Definitely won't be a purchase though. 

3 hours ago, Arioch said:

Incantation - Diabolical Conquest (1998)

One of my favourite Death albums. I'll have to check out two more Incantation albums one of these days. I'm talking about Onward to Golgotha and Mortal Throne of Nazarene because they're the band's infernal trio, aren't they?

But I'm afraid I'll be disappointed by the first two, because I love Diabolical Conquest so much.

Incantation has a wonderful catalog. I would gun to head also have to pick Diabolical as their best, in no small part due to Corchado. But they have more than a few really good enjoyable albums. Most of my favorite death metal bands owe at least some of their sound to the mighty Incantation. I'm quite partial to this bad boy from 2012. New one's very good too.

Incantation - Vanquished in Vengeance

27 minutes ago, Arioch said:

I love Daniel Corchado's singing.  He brings something unhealthy to the table, which is a big part of what I love about Diabolical Conquest.

So then how do you feel about Daniel's main band The Chasm? Along with Incantation those two are 40% of my top 5 death metal bands.

The Chasm - Procession to the Infraworld, 2000

Before that...

Urfaust - The Constellatory Practice, 2018. Kinda trippy, but I like it. 

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

So then how do you feel about Daniel's main band The Chasm? Along with Incantation those two are 40% of my top 5 death metal bands.

The Chasm - Procession to the Infraworld, 2000

I know you didn't ask me, but I feel compelled to weigh in on The Chasm. Dudes have spent decades touring and crafting their mark on the metal world on the basis of just pure love of the craft. They're extreme metal legends in my book. I saw a few people here or there that weren't really down with the instrumental album they put out. I might go as far as to say The Chasm hits differently without vocals, but it certainly didn't diminish the quality of the material one iota. I'm also very much in favor of going the instrumental route if you feel the vocal duties might distract from your ability to replicate a song live, which is kind of the vibe I got from them when I saw them live a few years ago. It's not that he can't do vocals and play at the same time, but if you've got to cut one element out of The Chasm, the vocals are definitely first in line. Still, he's got to be doing something right in the vocal department if people missed them that much.

NP: Djinn-Ghul - Opulence

▶︎ Opulence | Djinn-Ghül | Vicious Instinct Records (bandcamp.com)

a0973278922_10.jpg

I like it, but seriously what is the point of the industrial elements? They completely ruin the texture of some of these songs and drag what could be an easy 6 to 7.5 out of 10 down to a 4 to 5.5

56 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I know you didn't ask me, but I feel compelled to weigh in on The Chasm. Dudes have spent decades touring and crafting their mark on the metal world on the basis of just pure love of the craft. They're extreme metal legends in my book. I saw a few people here or there that weren't really down with the instrumental album they put out. I might go as far as to say The Chasm hits differently without vocals, but it certainly didn't diminish the quality of the material one iota. I'm also very much in favor of going the instrumental route if you feel the vocal duties might distract from your ability to replicate a song live, which is kind of the vibe I got from them when I saw them live a few years ago. It's not that he can't do vocals and play at the same time, but if you've got to cut one element out of The Chasm, the vocals are definitely first in line. Still, he's got to be doing something right in the vocal department if people missed them that much.

Weigh in anytime dude, you don't have to wait for me to ask you. I was one of those who wasn't down with the all instrumental album. You're correct that the material was still very good, excellent even (as always) and I would rate Conscious Creation at about an 8/10. But without the vocals there just didn't seem to be any point in actually listening to it. I think I played it once or possibly twice, and then never put it on ever again for the next 6 years. Because when I'm in the mood for some Chasm I'm always going to choose one or more of the albums with vocals. Which people might think is strange, because lyrics are all but irrelevant to me, especially in death metal. Don't know what they're growling about and I really don't care. I'm not the type who would ever be curious to read black or death metal lyrics. I don't even really pay any attention to song titles either as I tend to ingest these extreme metal albums as wholes.

But those vocals need to be there, they're an integral and indespensible part of the sound, for me anyway. Even if I'm not focused on them because I'm intent on the guitars, I still need them to be there. I've seen them live a couple of times and they destroyed the room each time. Didn't notice Mr Corchado struggling to sing and play at the same time, but if that was really the reason for leaving vocals off that album I would've told him to bring in a guest vocalist for live performances, the same way he's brought in live only bass players. Personally, I've always assumed the reason that album was instrumental was that he just didn't feel like writing all those lyrics for the 65 minute album he had written the music for.

NP: Obsidian Hooves - Illuminating Void, SOCAL 2022

Sulphur Aeon - Seven Crowns and Seven Seals

https://sulphuraeon-vanrecords.bandcamp.com/album/seven-crowns-and-seven-seals

Nope....

"Swallowed by the Ocean's Tide" is one of my favorite death metal albums, and I enjoyed the two follow ups well enough as well, but this new one isn't cutting it. While I can definitely hear their previous efforts in the music, it feels like there's no edge in it anymore. It almost reminds me of what Hooded Menace did on their last one, making an album for people who don't really Sulphur Aeon. That being said, I can see the impending knob slobbing from the overall metal community coming for this new one from a mile away.

23 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Weigh in anytime dude, you don't have to wait for me to ask you. I was one of those who wasn't down with the all instrumental album. You're correct that the material was still very good, excellent even (as always) and I would rate Conscious Creation at about an 8/10. But without the vocals there just didn't seem to be any point in actually listening to it. I think I played it once or possibly twice, and then never put it on ever again for the next 6 years. Because when I'm in the mood for some Chasm I'm always going to choose one or more of the albums with vocals. Which people might think is strange, because lyrics are all but irrelevant to me, especially in death metal. Don't know what they're growling about and I really don't care. I'm not the type who would ever be curious to read black or death metal lyrics. I don't even really pay any attention to song titles either as I tend to ingest these extreme metal albums as wholes.

But those vocals need to be there, they're an integral and indespensible part of the sound, for me anyway. Even if I'm not focused on them because I'm intent on the guitars, I still need them to be there. I've seen them live a couple of times and they destroyed the room each time. Didn't notice Mr Corchado struggling to sing and play at the same time, but if that was really the reason for leaving vocals off that album I would've told him to bring in a guest vocalist for live performances, the same way he's brought in live only bass players. Personally, I've always assumed the reason that album was instrumental was that he just didn't feel like writing all those lyrics for the 65 minute album he had written the music for.

NP: Obsidian Hooves - Illuminating Void, SOCAL 2022

Iirc, he had said he just didn't want to sing anymore. Glad he changed his mind. 

The Chasm isn't my top DM band of all time, maybe 3 or 4. That honor goes to Immolation. But, if I have a choice to see anyone in the top 5 on any given night, it's The Chasm 10 out of 10 times. If you've never seen them live, your life is not complete. Saw them back to back in 18-19 (Mass Destruction and MDF) and they just slayed anyone else on either bill. Their set at Rams Head on Saturday night (MDF 19) was the stuff of legends.

18 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I have to admit that I've only listened to The Chasm a few times and I don't even remember which album it was (it was on YouTube).

I'm going to listen to the first few albums to get an idea.