Jump to content
khaos

What Are You Listening To?

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm curious what you thought of this, Unanimated doesn't strike me as being your kind of thing.

It is very much more of an appeal for it's "blackened" elements, with its dry production sound giving some edge to the melodic dm aspect of the sound.  Still has a rawness to it that appeals in the same way that "The Red Sky is Ours" does. Not perfect but seems a decent effort for the time it was released.  There's some quality lead work on here that is admirable also.

NP: Unanimated 'In the Light of Darkness'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

It is very much more of an appeal for it's "blackened" elements, with its dry production sound giving some edge to the melodic dm aspect of the sound.  Still has a rawness to it that appeals in the same way that "The Red Sky is Ours" does. Not perfect but seems a decent effort for the time it was released.  There's some quality lead work on here that is admirable also.

NP: Unanimated 'In the Light of Darkness'

It's got a couple of parts that are pretty memorable - I first bought the album as a teenager and I found myself humming along with it when I put it on recently. They never brought anything particularly original to the table but I had fun with it. If you haven't heard it, "Ancient God Of Evil" is more competent than the debut, but also not as interesting - typical mid-90s melodeath, predictable but with a couple of standout moments. I didn't find myself sticking with the reunion album.

NP: Slidhr - The Futile Fires Of Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

It's got a couple of parts that are pretty memorable - I first bought the album as a teenager and I found myself humming along with it when I put it on recently. They never brought anything particularly original to the table but I had fun with it. If you haven't heard it, "Ancient God Of Evil" is more competent than the debut, but also not as interesting - typical mid-90s melodeath, predictable but with a couple of standout moments. I didn't find myself sticking with the reunion album.

NP: Slidhr - The Futile Fires Of Man

I found 'In the light of Darkness' perfectly competent after one listen although I remember very little.  Will definitely be returning to them.

NP: Merciless 'The Awakening'

Thanatos 'Realm of Ecstacy'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MacabreEternal said:

I found 'In the light of Darkness' perfectly competent after one listen although I remember very little.  Will definitely be returning to them.

NP: Merciless 'The Awakening'

Thanatos 'Realm of Ecstacy'

That was similar to my impression. Thought it was decent, but it kinda fell through the cracks. Definitely check out the other one if you like their sound.

NP: The Ruins Of Beverast - Foulest Semen Of A Sheltered Elite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 1:41 AM, Balor said:

Some random Clandestine Blaze tracks. @Requiem, check this out (if you haven't already).

 

Thanks man, I'm going to check this out. 

NP: Forgotten Tomb - 'Hurt Yourself and the Ones You Love'

The title track is a incredible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Katatonia - Dance of December Souls

Fuck I love this album so much. I know so many people write it off because it was early but no other album sounds like this. I love how all the reverb (intentional or not) creates such a haunting and dreamlike atmosphere. And those heavy riffs and twinkly keys. Nothing like it. 

Blackened roses in the cradle of sleep, whisper "our death is eternal". AUURRGH!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Depraved said:

Katatonia - Dance of December Souls

Fuck I love this album so much. I know so many people write it off because it was early but no other album sounds like this. I love how all the reverb (intentional or not) creates such a haunting and dreamlike atmosphere. And those heavy riffs and twinkly keys. Nothing like it. 

Blackened roses in the cradle of sleep, whisper "our death is eternal". AUURRGH!!!

 

Excellent and unique album. It might be a bit amateurish, but it's creative, consistent, and sincere, and I wouldn't change anything about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Excellent and unique album. It might be a bit amateurish, but it's creative, consistent, and sincere, and I wouldn't change anything about it.

Yeah, exactly. I would almost go as far as to say the somewhat amateurish aspects of it only makes it better. The imperfection of it makes it sound raw and real. Same with the production. Definitely in my top 5 favorite metal albums ever written. It never gets old and it's one of the few albums I can sit through in its entirety only to turn around and listen to the whole thing all over again immediately. It's got some of the most beautiful, most memorable riffs I've ever heard as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Depraved said:

Yeah, exactly. I would almost go as far as to say the somewhat amateurish aspects of it only makes it better. The imperfection of it makes it sound raw and real. Same with the production. 

Totally. A lot of my favorite albums have something awkward or jarring in the songwriting that sets them apart. Didn't appreciate it as much when I was younger, but those "flaws" help them stand the test of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

      The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  


      There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
×