What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Happy Easter Sinners! Or happy day after Easter for any unfortunate souls who might be trapped down under. I would happily disregard this holiday altogether, but the kid still wants me to hide plastic eggs filled with chocolate around the house for him to discover. So I oblige him. The trade-off being he has to listen to my god is utter nonsense for gullible weak-minded sheep sermon.

Demonic Sacrifice - Enter the Realm of Pure Darkness, Rochester NY 1997

Goatkraft - Sulphurous Northern Bestiality, Norway 2019

29 minutes ago, markm said:

Checking out the two preleased tacks from the new Witch Vomit album/Funeral Sanctum-definitely looking forward to checking the whole album out soon. 

NP: Brodequin/Harbinger of Woe

Brodequin? So you're going br00tal on us now Mark? Interested in hearing your thoughts on this one sir. I happen to really like it a lot, but I would've thought it was probably a bit too extreme for you to get fully onboard. Brutality for brutality's sake and all.

Coffins - Sinister Oath, Japan, Loving this new Coffins, been playing it a ton the last few days. These dudes are in top form and can do no wrong, their last album was killer too like most of their albums. Might try this one if you want something new that's heavy as fuck but maybe just a little more accessible than Brodequin. 

And lemme know when that new Witch Vomit drops, their stuff's usually pretty good.

49 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Must admit I really liked this album in the late 80's. Had it on vinyl with the original cover. But that was a long god damned time ago. A lot's happened since then. And the radio really wore some of those songs out, at least over here. I'd rather get punched in the face than have to hear Welcome to the Fucking Jungle or Paradise City ever again. But I think some of those other tracks could still be cool.

I haven't really listened to radio since I got out of driving so I've avoided a lot of the radio hits generation. I wouldn't spend hours a year listening to GNR but I can still listen to the albums in full occasionally.

Viking - Do Or Die

I haven't listened to the radio in over 20 years since they invented ipods and I could bring my music with me in the truck. But that album got so much play over here back when it came out that those 2 songs were probably ruined for me by the early 90's.

Pharmacist/Fluids - Feeling Young split LP goregrind/deathgrind Japan/AZ 2021, it's always cool when two bands you really like do a split together.

Oozing/Pharmacist - split deathgrind/goregrind AZ/Japan 2020

I'm fairly sure it gets over played here too but I wouldn't know for sure. It got played pretty heavily in the 90, and early 00's when I had no choice but to listen to AM radio because that's all the truck had. Even with FM it was pointless for most of the time doing interstate. But I didn't even have the ability to plug something into my truck. I would have had to take the entire tape deck and speakers from home.

Kreator - Extreme Agreession

NP: Masacre - Sacro

▶︎ Sacro | Masacre | Nuclear War Now! Productions (bandcamp.com)

a0913327066_10.jpg

Reissued last year. I should have been paying attention since this album is excellent. I definitely get more of an Angelcorpse vibe than Sodom, but I wouldn't complain about either. I really wonder what's in the water in most South American nations that they consistently put out some of the best extreme thrash out there. This whole album just bleeds 'woke up in a pool of blood on a greasy dive bar dirt floor and immediately started drinking again'. Alright looks like I'm headed right into another listening binge of Sextrash, Mutilator, Vulcano, and Sarcofago.

59 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

NP: Masacre - Sacro

Reissued last year. I should have been paying attention since this album is excellent. I definitely get more of an Angelcorpse vibe than Sodom, but I wouldn't complain about either. I really wonder what's in the water in most South American nations that they consistently put out some of the best extreme thrash out there. This whole album just bleeds 'woke up in a pool of blood on a greasy dive bar dirt floor and immediately started drinking again'. Alright looks like I'm headed right into another listening binge of Sextrash, Mutilator, Vulcano, and Sarcofago.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of FA, I really like that cover art. Looks like they reinvigorated it with a new color palate for the reissue. On the fence about the music though. It's serviceable for South American death metal circa 1996, I'll make it through 'til the end no problem. So not bad, but it's nothing special, I wouldn't be looking to buy this. Production's a bit thin, maybe that's what my problem is. There are a lot better SADM album than this imo, but maybe I've just been down the brutal death rabbit hole for a few weeks now and I could be having some trouble acclimating as I come back up for air. Not really hearing a lot of thrash here, but maybe I just misunderstood you. Not hearing any Angelcorpse or any Sodom. South America certainly has produced a ton of great death/thrash over the years though, at least on that much we can agree. These dudes definitely have some potential, I think maybe I'll check out some of their other albums and compare.

Masacre - Total Death, Colombian death 2004. This album cover kinda sucks, but the music is a bit better, and the production as well, fuller sounding, more deathlier. Good shit. Yes, I would think about buying this.

Masacre - Muerte Verdadera Muerte, 2001. This one's sort of halfway between the '96 one Sacro you posted and the one from '04 just above this. Yes this shit is right up my alley. Not sure if there are two vocalists here, the low register vocals are good, the higher shrieky ones not so much. But I can't let that ruin it for me, this music is very good. Probably my favorite of their albums.

Masacre - Brutal Aggre666ion, 2014. This one's a bit newer, more generic homogenized death metal sound. I definitely like it though, lots of cool lead work, same 2 guitarists so I guess they must've learned how to play a little better by 2014.

Their first album Reqviem from 1991 isn't very good, kind of amateurish with pretty shitty production. Fair enough, it was '91 in Colombia and they were probably just kids at the time so I can forgive them. But I'm not gonna bother posting the video for that one.

So my Colombian Masacre rankings are as follows: Muerte Verdadera Muerte #1, Total Death #2, Brutal Agre666ion #3, Sacro #4, Reqviem #5. All of them have something to offer and are worth hearing except for the debut I guess which I would skip. For fans of underground South American death metal anyway. The Pantera peeps probably wouldn't be interested.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

At the risk of incurring the wrath of FA, I really like that cover art. Looks like they reinvigorated it with a new color palate for the reissue. On the fence about the music though. It's serviceable for South American death metal circa 1996, I'll make it through 'til the end no problem. So not bad, but it's nothing special, I wouldn't be looking to buy this. Production's a bit thin, maybe that's what my problem is. There are a lot better SADM album than this imo, but maybe I've just been down the brutal death rabbit hole for a few weeks now and I could be having some trouble acclimating as I come back up for air. Not really hearing a lot of thrash here, but maybe I just misunderstood you. Not hearing any Angelcorpse or any Sodom. South America certainly has produced a ton of great death/thrash over the years though, at least on that much we can agree. These dudes definitely have some potential, I think maybe I'll check out some of their other albums and compare.

Masacre - Total Death, Colombian death 2004. This album cover kinda sucks, but the music is a bit better, and the production as well, fuller sounding, more deathlier. Good shit. Yes, I would think about buying this.

Masacre - Muerte Verdadera Muerte, 2001. This one's sort of halfway between the '96 one Sacro you posted and the one from '04 just above this. Yes this shit is right up my alley. Not sure if there are two vocalists here, the low register vocals are good, the higher shrieky ones not so much. But I can't let that ruin it for me, this music is very good. Probably my favorite of their albums.

Masacre - Brutal Aggre666ion, 2014. This one's a bit newer, more generic homogenized death metal sound. I definitely like it though, lots of cool lead work, same 2 guitarists so I guess they must've learned how to play a little better by 2014.

Their first album Reqviem from 1991 isn't very good, kind of amateurish with pretty shitty production. Fair enough, it was '91 in Colombia and they were probably just kids at the time so I can forgive them. But I'm not gonna bother posting the video for that one.

So my Colombian Masacre rankings are as follows: Muerte Verdadera Muerte #1, Total Death #2, Brutal Agre666ion #3, Sacro #4, Reqviem #5. All of them have something to offer and are worth hearing except for the debut I guess which I would skip. For fans of underground South American death metal anyway. The Pantera peeps probably wouldn't be interested.

Well to be fair the Pantera fans would probably not be interested in much besides giving Dime too much credit, pretending their glam phase never happened, and how to sound like Anselmo without ravaging their vocal cords like him.

Seriously though, nice breakdown. I overrate South American death leaning thrash all the time. I am hopelessly addicted to the stuff. Like an alcoholic in prison I've come to appreciate toilet brewed hooch for what it is.  As compared to their other south american peers I'd probably place them higher than Vulcano, but below Sextrash.

NP: Trivax - Eloah Burns Out

Eloah Burns Out | Trivax (bandcamp.com)

a4058471076_10.jpg

A whole lot of later Behemoth in this one. Not a bad thing. Obviously I prefer Behemoths black metal early stuff before Zos Kia. The later stuff can strike me from time to time, but they also went with a very overproduced sound quality that made it a little difficult to really accept the whole black to death metal with a pinch of black metal as seasoning evolution. Looking back, the signs were there. I just wasn't able to identify them. This is pretty close to that as well. I won't completely trash it, but maybe it's not  what I'm after right now.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

At the risk of incurring the wrath of FA, I really like that cover art.

Wrath? Me? Never! It's a good illustration. Nobody is handing out points for good anatomy and perspective in a piece like this. The unrefined "naive" treatment has a folk art character that makes it feel more urgent, more like a document of something somebody actually experienced, which is a feeling that a more polished approach could easily fail to convey.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Looks like they reinvigorated it with a new color palate for the reissue

Palette. Palette. The palate is part of your mouth. You wanna see wrath? "Color palate".

With love,

your pal the art snob

12 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Brodequin? So you're going br00tal on us now Mark? Interested in hearing your thoughts on this one sir. I happen to really like it a lot, but I would've thought it was probably a bit too extreme for you to get fully onboard. Brutality for brutality's sake and all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey GG, well you know me, more of a normie metal fan, I've just been going through the blogs I have saved on an old link Metalbandcamp that isn't active anymore but still links to several blogs that can be found here: https://metalbandcamp.com/

I've been tryin' to keep up more. I want to spend as little time as possible getting the intel, so I like Invisible Oranges little one paragraph snippet reviews. They appear to cover a variety not just what you would call normie hipster stuff.

I literally know nothing about Bodequin other than the positive evaluation they gave it. It's alright. Saved in my Bandcamp page, I'll probably test drive it a couple of times and then decide if it will make the '24 cut. I Know you dig those gurgly burpy slammy vocals and general brootality like your boys in Afterbirth. I've actually grown fond of their 23 album. 

https://www.invisibleoranges.com/umr-3172024-3302024/

https://meatmeadmetal.com/https://meatmeadmetal.com/