What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Nobody can hate kittens and not be hiding bodies in the garden.

Thatguy does not hate kittens. But they have no business making music.

KRALLICE - Dimensional Bleedthrough

ASUNOJOKEI - Live Album:Island In Full

No kittens were harmed in the making of these albums.

NP - FOUR TET - Three

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Iron Monkey/Church of Misery Split 1999

Church of Misery is fucking great fun. Will have to check this out. Not sure about the Monkey business, but if the Church thinks enough of them to do a split, they're worth a go.

Panzerfaust - The Suns of Perdition Chapter 2

Dodheimsgard - Monumental Possession

image.jpeg.0ce6b776455f4e4bc5e51a3c545e74d1.jpeg

Altar of Betelgeuze/Echoes (2024)-the metal archives  classify these guys as doom/death/stoner band from Finland.  About half way into the track list, I'd say this is pretty solid hard doom with top priority being doom with  satisfying doom riffage, equally satisfying growling, some quasi deathened singing and yeah, some stoner/psyche influence. So splitting hairs, that puts this in doom death rather than death doom. Expect no bells, whistles nor frills. I can see fans of meat'n'taters doom/death like Temple of Void, Monolord, etc.  might enjoy this. Not game changing but definitely worth a crack for doom aficionados such as your truly. 

Holy shit, I'm hitting all kinds of 2024 gold lately. I ended up buying that Altar of Betelgeuze Fin doom death album I posted about above and the love affair is in full bloom. I adore that album. 

NP Fenriz on vox on this awesome goober of an old classic 80's metal album that is blowing me away with classic metal and proto thrash love I haven't felt in a while---get on this-Coffin Storm/Arcana Rising-equal parts awesome, fun and silly. Freaking loving this like I loved The Underground Resistance. Riffs, riffs, riffs. 

4 minutes ago, markm said:

Holy shit, I'm hitting all kinds of 2024 gold lately. I ended up buying that Altar of Betelgeuze Fin doom death album I posted about above and the love affair is in full bloom. I adore that album. 

NP Fenriz on vox on this awesome goober of an old classic 80's metal album that is blowing me away with classic metal and proto thrash love I haven't felt in a while---get on this-Coffin Storm/Arcana Rising-equal parts awesome, fun and silly. Freaking loving this like I loved The Underground Resistance. Riffs, riffs, riffs. 

Listened to some of that new Betelgeuze the other day, then tried it again earlier this afternoon when I saw your previous post, but it wasn't really doing it for me. I remember their first album from 2014, bought it, I played it several times that year, thought it was alright, but I haven't been back to it in the decade since 2014. Missed their 2nd album in 2017 altogether, and basically forgot about them til this new one dropped. Stoner doom essentially, I know they're supposedly death/doom with some stoner elements mixed in, but I'm not hearing much death here, it just sounds like stoner doom to me. Not entirely unenjoyable, I don't mind it but I didn't make it 'til the end, I got bored and changed the channel. I'll go back to hear the rest of it at some point when I feel a bit more in the mood for that kind of thing. Generally though when it comes to the 'hard doom' as you often call it, sludge is more my speed. I dig stuff like Dopethrone from Montreal which I would call stoner/sludge, but it has the harsh vocals. Betelgeuze has more pure heavy metal influence, I prefer to have some punk in there.

Guess I'll check out your Coffin Storm, since it seems thrash is boss on this board now in 2024.

Coffin Storm - Arcana Rising, Norway. Oh dear, guess I didn't read the fine print carefully enough. Yeah, these vocals are not going to work for me. I love the Underground Resistance too, it's actually one of my favorite Darkthrone albums. But somehow those silly vocals aren't working as well for me here with these guys. This sounds like they listened to The Underground Resistance a buncha times then got drunk and now they're giving us their parody of it.

Condor - Unstoppable Power, Norway 2017, now this is more like it, the kings of Norwegian thrash.

Nocturnal Breed - Fields of Rot, 2007, or are these dudes maybe the kings of Norwegian thrash?

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Listened to some of that new Betelgeuze the other day, then tried it again earlier this afternoon when I saw your previous post, but it wasn't really doing it for me. I remember their first album from 2014, bought it, I played it several times that year, thought it was alright, but I haven't been back to it in the decade since 2014. Missed their 2nd album in 2017 altogether, and basically forgot about them til this new one dropped. Stoner doom essentially, I know they're supposedly death/doom with some stoner elements mixed in, but I'm not hearing much death here, it just sounds like stoner doom to me. Not entirely unenjoyable, I don't mind it but I didn't make it 'til the end, I got bored and changed the channel. I'll go back to hear the rest of it at some point when I feel a bit more in the mood for that kind of thing. Generally though when it comes to the 'hard doom' as you often call it, sludge is more my speed. I dig stuff like Dopethrone from Montreal which I would call stoner/sludge, but it has the harsh vocals. Betelgeuze has more pure heavy metal influence, I prefer to have some punk in there.

Guess I'll check out your Coffin Storm, since it seems thrash is boss on this board now in 2024.

Coffin Storm - Arcana Rising, Norway. Oh dear, guess I didn't read the fine print carefully enough. Yeah, these vocals are not going to work for me. I love the Underground Resistance too, it's actually one of my favorite Darkthrone albums. But somehow those silly vocals aren't working as well for me here with these guys. This sounds like they listened to The Underground Resistance a buncha times then got drunk and now they're giving us their parody of it.

Yep, you know I like to play in the gen ed stoner doom lane more than you do. II've come to like my regular ole doom with extreme vocals. In the case of Betelgeuze it roughens up their sound whereas with some clean doom, I get lost in the ether.

I'm not even sure I really distinguish between what I consider stoner doom (Sleep, Wino, Pentagram, EW, YOB), traditional or so called epic l doom (Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus) and hard doom. I think the marginal lines of error are so razor thin that it's mute other than stoner doom incorporates more 70's psyche and jamy sounds but to me it's just doom. 

I'm thinking what you're referring to death doom is what I'd characterized as OSDM with doomy riffs. I'm thinking of bands like Asphyx, Autopsy, Disma, Incantation, early Vastum etc. who are death metal bands first and foremost. In my mind, they're  just OSDM bands or play in that style with slower riffs and incorporate OSDM riffs and percussion (I.e., tempo changes between "doomy" and fast, frenetic double kick bass, maybe even triggered drums, even d-beat, time sign changes, unconventional song structures and the like) whereas what I think of as doom death are best characterized by the Peaceville sound, especially MDB who I've spent most of time with in this category, who sometimes utilize a very DM sound but also bring in gothic influences, very slow traditional doom riffs (I guess non DM riffage), alternating cleans/growls, etc.

I mean, it's often said that Black Sabbath's Master of Reality laid the groundwork for doom, stoner and sludge metal-so the lines are razor thin I'd say. 

18 minutes ago, markm said:

I'm not even sure I really distinguish between what I consider stoner doom (Sleep, Wino, Pentagram, EW, YOB), traditional or so called epic l doom (Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus) and hard doom. I think the marginal lines of error are so razor thin that it's mute other than stoner doom incorporates more 70's psyche and jamy sounds but to me it's just doom. 

Stoner = Lots of blues scales. Epic like Candlemass and Solitude almost always has a much more European approach to their melodies. There are exceptions though. St. Vitus, The Obsessed, Pentagram, and Cathedral take up the blues mantle more often than not and kind of go at it from a different angle that muddies the demarcation between stoner and epic. Then there's stuff like The Living Fields and Fall of the Idols that have harsh vocals (who I feel like I've been listening to and following forever) who work their way through both. YOB and Ufomammutt would probably fall in with that crowd. Even so YOB really only made a couple of actual stoner albums (Elaborations of Carbon and Catharsis) and even there you could definitely hear them trying to stretch the range of stoner and pushing the bluesy stuff to it's limit. Everything from The Illusion of Motion on and all bets are off. It's one of the reasons they're awesome. They have a completely unique signature sound, but each album feels like a different beast with it's own distinguishing characteristics within that sound.

NP: Thrall - Schisms

▶︎ Schisms | Thrall (bandcamp.com)

a0819698391_10.jpg

Don't mind it at all. There's a decent amount of ear piquing moments throughout. I hadn't heard of them before, but I'll definitely be keeping my eye on them going forward.