What Are You Listening To?

khaos

14 hours ago, navybsn said:

The Seven Tongues of God into This Sacrament may be the best 2 opening tracks on an album ever. Loomis + Dane was an absolutely great combo.

NP: My Dying Bride - As the Flower Withers

MDB - Turn Loose the Swans

Two scorchers to open that album for sure!  

Great call with My Dying Bride!  I have the whole discography, and "The Dreadful Hours" is my favorite from them, with "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" coming in right behind it.  Those first two have a special place for me, too, though.  Aaron Stainthorpe is such an underrated vocalist. 

21 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

It's my favourite one too, although I'm not that familiar with the discography.

Certainly a great vocalist, backed by phenomenal guitar work. Loomis should really start something new along the lines of Nevermore as chief songwriter because he was wasted in Arch Enemy.

Very cool!  Glad to hear you enjoy that album as well!  Yes, Loomis really needs to get back to that Nevermore style with a new band.  His playing is phenomenal, and it would work with a speed metal band or a thrash band, honestly.  I could see him playing in a band similar to the sound of Reverend or Anvil, and I could also see him playing in a band that sounds like Artillery.  He's such a versatile player.  One can only hope he does that some day! 

22 hours ago, navybsn said:

Ok, back in the country post metal cruise. Full report incoming. Note: I'm at risk of losing my goat metal cred after 5 days of Euro weenie metal, but I have to say it was fun as always. Also, much of my report will be heavily effected by copious amounts of mojitos and mai-tais so don't judge too hard.

NP: Blind Guardian - Memories of a Time to Come

So here goes:

The Good

Sodom - the only bucket list band on the bill. I honestly wasn't expecting much. I mean Tom is like 143 years old and looks more like a ring wraith than a metal god these days. Sat next to him at breakfast one morning and literally thought the guy could drop dead any minute, but once on stage he was as good as ever. They fuckin ripped live. 2 full sets with just about everything you could want to hear. They didn't play Obsessed by Cruelty or Witching Metal, but pretty much everything else. All of Agent Orange, Outbreak of Evil, Sodomy and Lust, The Conquerer, Nuclear Winter... Unreal dude still rips this hard at his age. I'll see them 2 more times this year, but they were definitely the highlight for me.

Blind Guardian - I'm not a power metal guy. I start and end with Helloween. So not expecting anything going into this. They were a co-headliner I guess so they got prime times. Have to say that I was completely blown away. This stuff kills live. Hansi can sing his ass off and the 2 guitarists shred. Bombastic, theatrical, a bit cheesy, but tight as hell and badass. Caught both sets. Would definitely catch them again given the chance.

Great report Navy. I luv that you do those cruises! I'm a big MDB fan. Such a constant discog. Big fan of Turn Loose the Swans that I only bought a couple of years ago and Angel and the Dark River is a fucking classic. For the aughts, I really Dig Songs of Darkness Words of Light from 2004. For Lies I sired (09) is also really great. 

Doesn't surprise me that Blind Guardian was good. I love their output up through Night at the Opera, where IMO they lost the plot. Their earlier thrashy albums are killer. Imaginations,  Tales from the Twilight World and even Nightfall in Middle Earth are all favorites.  

10 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Table - Journey to Beyond (2024) {Finland}

Liking this melodic black metal, not sure the old goat would approve, however.

Purulency - Transcendent Unveiling of Dimensions EP (2024) {USA}

Pretty good Autopsy influenced death metal, just wish it was longer than 18 minutes. 

Why wouldn't I approve? I love tons of melodic black metal, it's among my favorite sub-genres. Unlike melodic death metal, which I generally seek to avoid. In this case the album in question is nothing in any way special, and yeah, if asked I would probably advise them to dial back the keys just a bit, but I can see my way clear to "approve" of it as being legit black metal. It's not like it's prog or something truly heinous like power metal or Balloon-knot or one of Doc's lame-o semi ambient post-metal affairs.

As far as Purulency's 18 minute EP goes, if you really dig it (I certainly approve of this one) just play it twice then it'll be perfect album length of 36 minutes. This is much slower than Autopsy though, I'm hearing more of a typical cavernous death/doom that's more Incantation than Autopsy.

I've actually been starting to wonder lately, why should I of all people need to approve of stuff? I've seen 3 or 4 forum members make comments in recent months about how I probably wouldn't like something or approve of it or whatever, and I'd just like to implore everyone to please just listen to whatever youse want and stop speculating as to what my thoughts and feelings on it might be. I don't even know what I might like and what I won't until I hear it, and I surprise myself all the time by liking shit that I wouldn't have expected myself to like, and conversely, by not liking stuff that I thought I probably would. So if I don't even know, I really don't see how anyone else could possibly know.

And who the fuck cares what I think anyway? Seriously, who the fuck am I? Feel free to like whatever youse want, you don't need to run it by me or get my approval. I know I can be a loudmouthed asshole and everything much of the time, but I really don't expect everyone else to adopt my love of filth and exclude all the rest. I really wouldn't want this to turn into the goat filth forum, I do genuinely appreciate and enjoy exploring recos from outside of my caprine comfort zone every now and then.

Sendero Inexorable - Chilwe, Chilean black metal

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Why wouldn't I approve? I love tons of melodic black metal, it's among my favorite sub-genres. Unlike melodic death metal, which I generally seek to avoid. In this case the album in question is nothing in any way special, and yeah, if asked I would probably advise them to dial back the keys just a bit, but I can see my way clear to "approve" of it as being legit black metal. It's not like it's prog or something truly heinous like power metal or Balloon-knot or one of Doc's lame-o semi ambient post-metal affairs.

As far as Purulency's 18 minute EP goes, if you really dig it (I certainly approve of this one) just play it twice then it'll be perfect album length of 36 minutes. This is much slower than Autopsy though, I'm hearing more of a typical cavernous death/doom that's more Incantation than Autopsy.

I've actually been starting to wonder lately, why should I of all people need to approve of stuff? I've seen 3 or 4 forum members make comments in recent months about how I probably wouldn't like something or approve of it or whatever, and I'd just like to implore everyone to please just listen to whatever youse want and stop speculating as to what my thoughts and feelings on it might be. I don't even know what I might like and what I won't until I hear it, and I surprise myself all the time by liking shit that I wouldn't have expected myself to like, and conversely, by not liking stuff that I thought I probably would. So if I don't even know, I really don't see how anyone else could possibly know.

And who the fuck cares what I think anyway? Seriously, who the fuck am I? Feel free to like whatever youse want, you don't need to run it by me or get my approval. I know I can be a loudmouthed asshole and everything much of the time, but I really don't expect everyone else to adopt my love of filth and exclude all the rest. I really wouldn't want this to turn into the goat filth forum, I do genuinely appreciate and enjoy exploring recos from outside of my caprine comfort zone every now and then.

Sendero Inexorable - Chilwe, Chilean black metal

Yeah re Table I think I was enamoured by their sound having a little more black metal, then some other new releases. I’ve been checking out which, for the most part, just Dimmu clones with paper thin guitar tone. I don’t think it’s a bad album, but I don’t enjoy it enough to actually purchase. That EP though is cool I guess I hear more autopsy influence on the faster sections. Anyway I Think people around here, value your opinion, but my comment was more meant to contrast our differing taste in BM… until I remembered that one. You don’t view all melodic black metal as blasphemy, and two. Our tastes on that front actually aren’t that different a lot of the time.

NP: Podrodào / Convulsive - Convulsively Rotness split

Coming back to what might be my favourite new release of the year so far 

2 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

JUNGLE ROT - A Call To Arms

A.F.K. - Bad Moon Rising

A HUGE thumbs-up to any mention of Jungle Rot!  Love those guys.  Their last few albums have all been thoroughly enjoyable.  Being a groove metal guy above all else, I think it's that element of Jungle Rot's sound that holds my attention without fail.  Gonna jam to these guys on my way to the office tomorrow morning!

And on to Eternity. This is where Anathema lost the doom. Beautiful album, gorgeous sound, and starting to incorporate some weirder elements that will go on to play a big part in their later alt-rock turn. I believe Vincent is on vocals at this point. I think it's a weird middle ground tbh between what they were and what they would go on to. Definitely my least listened to album in the discog.

Judgement - more of the same. A little better developed. Some definite Pink Floyd vibes on this one. I will say that Fragile Dreams is my favorite mid-period and possibly overall song by them although Scars of the Old Stream is right there. 2nd least spins.

I won't bother with any of the rest of the discog. Fine Day is my favorite of theirs but full on Radiohead worship at that point. And tbh, I prefer new Anathema to old. I guess I let my affinity for everything post 2000 color my impressions of the whole Peaceville 3. After a good 2 day marathon, I think I'd rank them as such:

MDB - best overall for doom, most consistent (well if you throw out 34.788%).

Anathema - although strictly based on the strength of the post 2000 stuff.

Paradise Lost - Not a big fan. Draconian Times and Gothic are the only 2 I've ever cared for and I stopped somewhere around One Second. Their earlier doom phase is a little choppy at times. Their turn around One Second never did it for me and I was off to other fields to play in. Can't say I've given them much second thought since or even a fair eval the past 2 days. Listened to a few tracks from Obsidian and it's decent. Might have to go through the whole catalog to see what I have missed. But not tonight.

NP: Green Carnation - The Acoustic Verses

9 hours ago, navybsn said:

And on to Eternity. This is where Anathema lost the doom. Beautiful album, gorgeous sound, and starting to incorporate some weirder elements that will go on to play a big part in their later alt-rock turn. I believe Vincent is on vocals at this point. I think it's a weird middle ground tbh between what they were and what they would go on to. Definitely my least listened to album in the discog.

Judgement - more of the same. A little better developed. Some definite Pink Floyd vibes on this one. I will say that Fragile Dreams is my favorite mid-period and possibly overall song by them although Scars of the Old Stream is right there. 2nd least spins.

I won't bother with any of the rest of the discog. Fine Day is my favorite of theirs but full on Radiohead worship at that point. And tbh, I prefer new Anathema to old. I guess I let my affinity for everything post 2000 color my impressions of the whole Peaceville 3. After a good 2 day marathon, I think I'd rank them as such:

MDB - best overall for doom, most consistent (well if you throw out 34.788%).

Anathema - although strictly based on the strength of the post 2000 stuff.

Paradise Lost - Not a big fan. Draconian Times and Gothic are the only 2 I've ever cared for and I stopped somewhere around One Second. Their earlier doom phase is a little choppy at times. Their turn around One Second never did it for me and I was off to other fields to play in. Can't say I've given them much second thought since or even a fair eval the past 2 days. Listened to a few tracks from Obsidian and it's decent. Might have to go through the whole catalog to see what I have missed. But not tonight.

NP: Green Carnation - The Acoustic Verses

I'd put MDB way ahead on consistency alone.

The best song on Anathema Eternity is Hope, which was written by David Gilmour. That was a low point in their career. They've done some solid albums since, but just too far outside my remit now. Serenades at the time of release was equal to any MDB but it hasn't aged all that well.

Paradise Lost have had a consistent renaissance which began with The Plague Within. It's really solid. However, I listened to the rerecording of Icon and, as you would expect, can't fathom the need for it. For a fan, new or old, you'd just want to pick up an original on eBay.

The economics must be fairly marginal for rerecording a classic. You're better off tacking some modern interpretations as bonus tracks on a new album. Just use the studio time efficiently to blast out some standards from the set.