What Are You Listening To?

khaos

The Chasm - Procreation of the Inner Temple (1994)

I like to get to know a band in depth, starting with their first album and working through to the last in chronological order of release.

That way you can see how they've evolved.

So far, I've listened to two of the band's albums, which are in the middle of their career. Stop! Let's start at the beginning.

Edit :

The production sounds dated but has the enormous advantage of making all the instruments audible, including the bass, much to my delight.

Not a big fan of Daniel Corchado's hoarse voice. I prefer him when he's whispering unhealthily (like on Incantation's Diabolical Conquest).

Musically, it's clear that the band are creating their own universe, but not one based solely on death and doom. Other elements are grafted onto the whole.

The Chasm - From the Lost Years... (1996)

Edit : I have the impression that on this second album, The Chasm doesn't go off in so many directions. It makes the tracks more homogeneous. The production is more efficient, while leaving plenty of room for all the instruments.

3 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

This is the best line I will see today. "Album number 19 is going to be a burner!"

I am pretty sure that is going to be exactly the case.

Haha fair enough!  If I'm remembering correctly regarding our previous interactions about the Priest, you're not their biggest fan by any stretch!  When I used the descriptor "burner", I definitely meant it as a positive, as the new Judas Priest album will easily be my most anticipated release of 2024 (with a new album from Accept coming in second).  But hey, if Priest isn't your thing, I totally understand that! 

What releases (of those that have been announced as of yet) will you be anticipating for next year?  I'm eager to hear!

8 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Angelus Apatrida - Aftermath.

Enjoying this album on the second go round. 1 more listen and it's a purchase.

Excellent choice!  Angelus Apatrida is my personal favorite new wave thrash band, and this 6th album is absolutely fantastic!  Their last album, the self-titled release in 2021, is my second favorite album of theirs overall (only to "The Call" from 2012), and it's a bruiser from start to finish.  In the early going, this new release will be up near the top as well.  The catalog is nearly impossible to rank.  I hope these guys stick around for a long time!

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Burner as in barn burner. Your mob might say it's going to be a real cracker or a ripper.

I appreciate the help in clarifying, my friend!  That's precisely how I intended that description to be understood!  I cannot adequately describe my anticipation of the new Judas Priest album.  I'm confident it'll be another slab of great, no-frills heavy metal.  

Also, I'm absolutely loving the "Wreath of Bleeding Snowfall" album from Kommodus!  It is fantastic!

2 hours ago, JamesT said:

Haha fair enough!  If I'm remembering correctly regarding our previous interactions about the Priest, you're not their biggest fan by any stretch!  When I used the descriptor "burner", I definitely meant it as a positive, as the new Judas Priest album will easily be my most anticipated release of 2024 (with a new album from Accept coming in second).  But hey, if Priest isn't your thing, I totally understand that! 

What releases (of those that have been announced as of yet) will you be anticipating for next year?  I'm eager to hear!

Your remembrance is utterly erroneous my +ve friend. Judas Priest is my favourite metal band*, but I am just resigned to disappointment because they break certain cardinal rules in respect to their modern output (where one defines modern as anything less than 30 years old).

That's a good question in terms of anticipated releases for next year. I have no idea. The Judas Priest one is the only thing announced I am even aware of that far in advance. From the opening moments of the new single and seeing the picture of a double LP in the press release all I felt was crushing sadness. It was their last chance and they blew it.

The relatively obscure bands I spend most of my time listening to don't tend to make an announcement more than a few months in advance. The upcoming releases I have pre-ordered are Howling Giant and Green Lung. I wouldn't go so far to say I am excited. The available tracks are decent but not revelatory.

Bands have started making longer term release announcements because of vinyl lead times. I can't back it up with any data, but back in the good old days when big bands released something every year, announcements were no more than a month or two in advance. Sometimes weeks or days. 

There should be some "classic" bands releasing something next year such as Nile and Deicide. I will "look forward to it" in a broad sense but I can't get excited about it. I only get "excited" relatively speaking when I am pleasantly surprised by a new band I come across and it turns out they have a few releases in the back catalog. Balmog and Inanna spring to mind.

Actually, there should be a new Akercocke next year. They've been working on it for a long time. I would be excited for that because the last one is my favourite album of theirs.

*it probably isn't because I complain about them so much, but it is my stock answer: AC/DC, Queen and Judas Priest. 

8 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

If my barn burned down I'd be pretty annoyed. Also, if I'd ripped one, I'd steer clear too.

One can usually put up with their own, but if someone else rips one it's abandon ship!

8 hours ago, JamesT said:

Excellent choice!  Angelus Apatrida is my personal favorite new wave thrash band, and this 6th album is absolutely fantastic!  Their last album, the self-titled release in 2021, is my second favorite album of theirs overall (only to "The Call" from 2012), and it's a bruiser from start to finish.  In the early going, this new release will be up near the top as well.  The catalog is nearly impossible to rank.  I hope these guys stick around for a long time!

I was surprised how good their album is. Maybe it's AOTY, maybe it's not, but it's definitely better than some of the other leading names that have released stuff this year.

4 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

One can usually put up with their own, but if someone else rips one it's abandon ship!

I was surprised how good their album is. Maybe it's AOTY, maybe it's not, but it's definitely better than some of the other leading names that have released stuff this year.

Glad to hear you're enjoying their material!  I'm not sure if you've ever delved into their whole catalog, but their 2012 album, "The Call" is my favorite, followed closely by their previous album, the self-titled, which was released in 2021.  All of their albums are great, however!  They're from Spain, and I've been championing these guys ever since I really dug back into the world of thrash about 7 years ago.  These guys are at the top of the list for me with regard to new wave thrash bands.

Primal Fear - "Nuclear Fire"

Primal Fear - "Black Sun"

Cannot overstate how great these guys are!