What Are You Listening To?

khaos

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Old - Dawn of Darkness, Germany. Man I wish there was a digital release.

As to things named "Old" I can say I'd rather endure whatever the dude on that cover has going on with the parasitic twin skull than sit through an M. Night Shyamalan film ever again.

NP: Yattering - Murder's Concept

https://yattering.bandcamp.com/album/murders-concept

a2145870409_10.jpg

Unremarkable. I have no idea why I see this thing in my CD collection and think "Oh yeah. I remember this being good." It's not, and my infrequent memory-holing of it should make me think otherwise. 

On 9/28/2023 at 7:51 AM, JonoBlade said:

Geez. You must love Metallica. 

I recall James Hetfield quipping (around time of AJFA or TBA) that "you could fit two Megadeth albums on a Metallica record" which just seemed so profoundly dumb. So Far So Good So What is every bit as good as or better than AJFA, and in half the time. Even with the stupid Sex Pistols cover.

Album length was something that I started thinking about more a few years ago when I noticed new albums were all being released as 2LP sets, but all the dusty old vinyls on my shelf were only ever one disc, unless it was a career defining concept album like Electric Ladyland, The Wall or Quadrophenia. Or a live album. To me a live album that ISN'T a double album makes no sense. A headlining gig is at least an hour and a half, so the album should be too. 

I'll happily watch the new release videos of a band I am into before an album comes out. I'd never buy a single (can you even do that now?) but the advanced singles serve a purpose. I did pre-order The SInner Rides Again, so it will be available tomorrow morning. 

Haha I can definitely understand the sentiment!  I really like Metallica, but I wouldn't say I love them these days.  I do think their most recent 3 albums have all been really good.  But in general, I'm not crazy about the direction they took with the Black Album and then Load/Reload.  I really like "St. Anger", and then they've been back on much better ground since then as well.  I don't mind the song lengths, honestly.  Metallica are very good songwriters, so they can keep things interesting over the course of longer songs, although that's certainly not the case for everyone!

Very cool that you pre-ordered "The Sinner Rides Again"!  Man, I'm thoroughly enjoying the heavy metal ride!  KK still has plenty of chops, and Ripper has turned in one of his best vocal performances in years - which is saying something for me, because I love everything the guy has done.  Can't wait to continue spinning this new terrific slab of goodness! 

Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium - Nahab (2023)

Shame on me: I'm French and I only knew Blut Aus Nord by name... Well, I made up for that mistake this morning by listening to their latest album, packed with all kinds of atmospheres. Some of the sounds remind me a lot of the work of American band Akhlys.

3 hours ago, Arioch said:

Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium - Nahab (2023)

Shame on me: I'm French and I only knew Blut Aus Nord by name... Well, I made up for that mistake this morning by listening to their latest album, packed with all kinds of atmospheres. Some of the sounds remind me a lot of the work of American band Akhlys.

Awesome band. Love these guys. They vary their sound from album to album. You gotta hear more.

Memoria Vetusta III:

777 Cosmosophy:

older pick - Mystical Beast Of Rebellion:

NP: Berzerker Legion - Obliterate the Wake

▶︎ Obliterate the Weak | BERZERKER LEGION | LISTENABLE RECORDS (bandcamp.com)

a0614969832_10.jpg

I don't mind it too terribly. These guys also have a new one dropping at the end of the month. I think they really need to lean away from the Amon Amarth-isms if they want to carve out a name for themselves. Don't get me wrong, I really have no issue with Amon Amarth. AA's With Oden on our Side and Vs. The World will always be excellent to great albums, and in these guys' case the imitation is passable. If we're being honest though the cruise control AA have been on for the last few albums along with the legions of imitators out there really starts to wear on me. I do hear potential though. 

37 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

NP: Berzerker Legion - Obliterate the Wake

I didn't know this All Star Band (Tomas Elofsson (Hypocrisy) , Alwin Zuur (Asphyx), James Stewart (Vader) , Jonny Pettersson (Wombbath) and Fredrik Isaksson (Dark Funeral)). As well as Amon Amarth, I also thought of At the Gates on the 2nd track, A World in Despair. I don't think I'll be able to listen to the whole album.

15 hours ago, JamesT said:

Haha I can definitely understand the sentiment!  I really like Metallica, but I wouldn't say I love them these days.  I do think their most recent 3 albums have all been really good.  But in general, I'm not crazy about the direction they took with the Black Album and then Load/Reload.  I really like "St. Anger", and then they've been back on much better ground since then as well.  I don't mind the song lengths, honestly.  Metallica are very good songwriters, so they can keep things interesting over the course of longer songs, although that's certainly not the case for everyone!

Very cool that you pre-ordered "The Sinner Rides Again"!  Man, I'm thoroughly enjoying the heavy metal ride!  KK still has plenty of chops, and Ripper has turned in one of his best vocal performances in years - which is saying something for me, because I love everything the guy has done.  Can't wait to continue spinning this new terrific slab of goodness! 

Wait up. It sounded like you said: "I really like "St. Anger"" I must have misread, because that string of words is not compatible. It's like saying "spaghetti fog sad engine," individually the words have meaning but there is no synergy when combined.

I've listened to KK the last few days quite a few times. It is definitely a heavy metal band. I can't say it has really landed for me but it's nice and short. 

N.P. ABSCISSION | 𝐓 𝐎 𝐑 𝐏 𝐎 𝐑 (bandcamp.com)

Metallica, I received their Black Album in 1991 as a betrayal. At the time, I was crazy about the band (and Slayer too). I realised that it would be difficult for them to stay with what they were doing on And Justice for All. But to think that they'd lock themselves away in a studio for months on end with a famous producer and make a hit with songs like Enter Sandman...

Since then, I've watched their career from afar. Never listened to Load/Reload in its entirety. The little I listened to of those albums was enough for me. Neither has Saint Anger.

Death Magnetic, on the other hand... I found this band trying to do Thrash again like in the good old days, but without succeeding, containing themselves with songs made up of patchworks of riffs.

Hardwired, no better. Not listened to much. And those snare drums, no!

72 Seasons, listened to just once on its release. I don't think I'll ever listen to it again.

As for the first 4 albums, I rarely listen to them. Very rarely.

I'm not setting an example by saying that, and I'm not preaching to the choir. I'm just expressing my feelings about a band that I adored enormously, but which has deeply disappointed me.

Anyone who still finds Metallica to their taste these days, I envy. And good for them, and the band!

Cromlech - Cold and Stiff, Germany

Terra Builder - Solar Temple, German cosmic blackened death/grind. Keeps the atonality to reasaonably acceptable levels. FFO Altarage

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

Wait up. It sounded like you said: "I really like "St. Anger"" I must have misread, because that string of words is not compatible. It's like saying "spaghetti fog sad engine," individually the words have meaning but there is no synergy when combined.

Almost as nutty and incongruent as saying Sad Wings of Destiny is one of the greatest Judas Priest albums, amirite?