What Are You Listening To?

khaos

3 hours ago, navybsn said:

गौतम बुद्ध - पुनर्जन्म भाग २ - black metal from India. Their first one is pretty solid too.

पुनर्जन्म भाग २ | गौतम बुद्ध (bandcamp.com)

a0791123072_16.jpg

I found this one a few weeks back as well. It's good stuff. Hindi is a seriously underrated mythology and pantheon partially because sacred verifiable texts that document it are very very few and far between.

NP: Ashtar - Wandering through time

▶︎ Wandering Through Time | ASHTAR (bandcamp.com)

a2788781243_10.jpg

Typing this just now I hit the track with what sounds like a digeridoo. That was unexpected. Couldn't really say that it fits with the music well, but a cool kind of curveball nonetheless.

18 minutes ago, Serpentboi1992 said:

Necrodeath – Fragments Of Insanity (2006, CD) - Discogs

I have never seen that cover/band logo before. There's something very eye catching about it, but then there's something about it that feels off as well. I like the old school design and the labyrinth is pretty cool, but in combination with a name like Necrodeath and my personal favorite two color combo (orange and black) it hits just off kilter. I'll have to check them out after I finish with...

NP: Fleshcrawl - Descend into the Absurd

NP: Dead Talks - Veneration of the Dead

▶︎ Veneration Of The Dead | Dead Talks (bandcamp.com)

a2918211230_10.jpg

Really satisfying crunchy guitar on this one. Make no mistake, though. This is Ye Olden Timey styled death metal. So many bands would have gotten that pounding somewhat U.S.-sounding style and called it good, but there's real meat on the bones here. Hiding in plain sight is an excellent cohesive whole package that can pulverize with knuckle-dragging singular purpose, and then take a step back for the types of melodic leads that never feel unnecessary. Cool use of hammer-ons and pull-offs make sure the middle of fretboard isn't neglected. Coupled with a style that wouldn't have felt out of place on Autopsy's Mental Funeral and not losing sight of the brutality makes for a crafty eminently enjoyable style. This might be a buy for me.

12 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I've always had a weird soft spot for this album. Brave New World didn't do much for me, and of course there's the dreaded repetition of a single line chorus ad nauseum. The album drags a bit through a few of the later tracks, but the variety is there.

Final Frontier is the album that I think drags and definitely my least listened to Maiden album.

Maiden - Book Of Souls

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Final Frontier is the album that I think drags and definitely my least listened to Maiden album.

Funny, I listened to a little bit of FF this morning out of sheer curiosity. I was fully intending it to be the very first time I've ever listened to any of their post-Powerslave albums in their entirety. And tbh I didn't think it was that bad really, except for Bruce of course. I just don't like him or his voice or how many syllables he packs into those verses. So ultimately I didn't make it all the way til the bitter end because this album's 77 god damned minutes long. But I made it at least to the halfway point or maybe a bit more. Must have been a triple vinyl.

So if you could choose only one, not counting the first seven albums, which album would you say is the best example of a good solid highly enjoyable post-1990 Iron Maiden album?

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Dead Talks - Veneration of the Dead

Really satisfying crunchy guitar on this one. Make no mistake, though. This is Ye Olden Timey styled death metal. So many bands would have gotten that pounding somewhat U.S.-sounding style and called it good, but there's real meat on the bones here. Hiding in plain sight is an excellent cohesive whole package that can pulverize with knuckle-dragging singular purpose, and then take a step back for the types of melodic leads that never feel unnecessary. Cool use of hammer-ons and pull-offs make sure the middle of fretboard isn't neglected. Coupled with a style that wouldn't have felt out of place on Autopsy's Mental Funeral and not losing sight of the brutality makes for a crafty eminently enjoyable style. This might be a buy for me.

HM-2 heavy Swedish style death metal ala Vomitory, but played a whole lot slower and chuggier. And they're actually from Finland which you can hear in the melodic and melancholy solos. I do hear a wee little pinch of Autopsy in here, but I hear plenty more Insomnium as well. This is in no way 'olden timey' my friend, and you would never in a million years be able to fool any real long time death metal fans over 40 into thinking this album was made 30 years ago. I do like this though, even as commercial sounding and devoid of filth as it is, it's still heavy and I might even be tempted to buy it. But this is not OSDM, it's very catchy and has been polished and buffed up to a high glossy sheen with all kinds of very modern sounding production cliches. Clearly modern 21st century death metal on Apostasy, a German label with all kinds of other modern and melodic death metal bands, and they aparently have the money for costly high quality professionally produced music videos.

Dead Talks - The End of the Tunnel official video, Finland

8 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I could probably listen to FF more if it was an instrumental. But then again I'm not sure I could listen to an 80 min instrumental. Fuck what a conflict!

My favourite post 90's is Book of Souls, even if it does go for 3 weeks

92 minutes would be a bit too much Maiden for me. Which half would you say is better for a goat, disc one or disc two?

Well it would have to be disc 1 for you because disc 2 contains an 18 min song. But that song is also one of the best songs Iron Maiden/Bruce has ever written. It also contains the shortest song on the album which they wrote about Robin Williams.

However disc one also has a 13 min song on it so I'd suggest you don't bother listening to it at all.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Well it would have to be disc 1 for you because disc 2 contains an 18 min song. But that song is also one of the best songs Iron Maiden/Bruce has ever written. It also contains the shortest song on the album which they wrote about Robin Williams.

However disc one also has a 13 min song on it so I'd suggest you don't bother listening to it at all.

Don't care about Robin Williams or the individual song lengths. Just tell me overall which 45 minutes of music do you think has the better collection of riffs? And you're sure you think this is their best album of the last 35 years since 7th Son?

NP: Nocte Obducta - Karwoche, melodic black from Germany. Sounding pretty good as I sit down with my Asian inspired sesame ginger pork stir-fry.

10 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Don't care about Robin Williams or the individual song lengths. Just tell me overall which 45 minutes of music do you think has the better collection of riffs? And you're sure you think this is their best album of the last 35 years since 7th Son?

For me it is, but I don't expect you to like either side, partly because you've already formed an opinion of current Maiden but also because it's not 3 minute rinse and repeat songs.

3 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

For me it is, but I don't expect you to like either side, partly because you've already formed an opinion of current Maiden but also because it's not 3 minute rinse and repeat songs.

No, I don't have any opinion of current Maiden because I haven't heard any of their albums. (except now for half of FF) Back in the day I owned their first 5 albums and that's all I know to base my Maiden opinions on. So I have my opinions about Iron Maiden in general, but not specifically "modern" post 1990 Maiden because I've only heard very small sections (typically less than a minute) of a small handful of songs over the years. And even that's been so long now I reallly can't remember. That's why I want to listen to one of their modern albums in full so I can make a more informed opinion. I'd just rather not waste my time listening to one of their worst albums as I apparently did this morning with FF. I'd prefer to listen to one that would be considered one of their best albums of the last 30 years.

Don't know what rinse and repeat songs is supposed to mean. Albums have songs and songs have riffs. I either like the riffs or I don't. I listen to bands that write short songs and long songs and in between songs. The runtimes of songs are mostly irrelevant because you could have a 5 minute song with 8 or 9 riffs and a 13 minute song with only 3 or 4 riffs. Longer songs aren't necessarily more complex. Songs are just vehicles to deliver the riffs to my ears. It's a given I won't like the vocals, but I'm prepared to set that aside because I'm genuinely curious as to what these old dudes are all about now 39 years after I gave up on them and stopped listening to the new albums and following what they're up to. 39 years is a long time, I'm sure they've probably changed quite a bit besides adding a third guitar to the mix and Bruce getting his pilot's license. 

29 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

You spent days a week or so back going on with others about how current Maiden is not for you and how you don't like Bruce. if that's not forming an opinion I don't know what is. My recommendation is don't listen to them, you gave FF a try and it wasn't your thing, Book of Souls wont be either.

So many inaccuracies here Orca my dear.  I never specified that current Maiden is not for me, just that I'm not a fan of Iron Maiden's brand of NWOBHM or 'traditional metal'  in general. That's true about Bruce though, I'll freely admit that I'm biased against him. But again, all I'm familiar with to base my opinions about Mr. Dickenson on is the first 5 records, of which he was only on three of them.

I never said FF wasn't my thing, I said that suprisingly it wasn't that bad at all really (except for the vocalist) but at 77 minutes it was just a bit longer than I had been prepared to commit to. Back in the day Maiden albums used to be in the normal 40 - 45 miunute range. There weren't too many metal bands in the 80's putting out these 77 or 90 minute double and triple albums.

And you know you might be right that I'll hear it and decide it's not my thing. Wouldn't bet against that with real money. But I'm still curious because they come up in converstaion often enough that I'm often left wondering what their deal is these days. So this is it, here we go: Book of Souls Book 1 it shall be then, plus I guess the epic 18 minute Empire of the Clouds. Figures it'd be a concept album. 

Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls 2015

41 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Whatever.

I hope you enjoy it.

I hope you hate it.

Well the early reports are that right off the bat I noticed they've changed their riffing style and the way the songs are constructed. And I like this new style a lot better. The gallop riff with the triplets is gone! I'm in the middle of track 4, the 14 minute Red & Black. This is the first song here I haven't liked so far due mostly to the whoa whoa whoas. Without the whoa whoas it would probably be ok but not great.

The other thing I noticed immediately on track 1 is that Bruce sounds old here, his voice is shot. Sounds like an old man who can't do the things he wants to do and hit the notes he wants to hit with his voice anymore. I'm saddened by this even though I never liked his young man's voice either. Saddened because he's only 3 years older than me, but this album was from 8 years ago so this means he was only 57 here, 5 years younger than I am now. So I guess this means I'm probably shot too. I think if he could sing these Book of Souls songs in his 24 year old Piece of Mind voice I might be able to like this album better. These songs so far have certainly all been more appeaing to me than anything I remember from Powerslave. After this I'm gonna have to try another album from before he got so damn old.

EDIT: Shadows of the Valley is the best song so far I think (aside from more stupid whoa whoa whoas towards the end)  Also liked The River Runs Deep. Only 3 songs to go, might as well just go ahead and finish the whole thing. 

Fear of the Dark up next.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

THE BLACK HARVEST - Mortuary Dogma. Enjoyable but a bit, well, static.

DEFORMATORY - Inversion of the Unseen Horizon. Noice.

NP - DYING SUN - 12212010. I haven't listened to this for years and I'm enjoying how glum it is. I'm feeling very glum today.

Busy with Maiden now so I'll have to get to these later. Looking at the names I'm going to assume Black Harvest and Dying Sun are post-metal. So that leaves Deformatory which I'l guess is probably some kind of prog and/or tech metal, amirite?