What Are You Listening To?

khaos

On 8/3/2023 at 1:28 AM, Thatguy said:

AKERCOCKE - Decades OF Devil Worship. Again. This is a really good set. And the audience tells me the band name is pronounced AkerCOCK. What's that fucking e doing at the end then.

I thought it was Ak-A-cock-A. Like Acca Dacca.

Two of my favourite bands announced new albums on Friday, which gave me a nice surprise during morning ablutions (meaning, I shat myself). Pre-ordered without even listening to the early release tracks.

This Heathen Land | GREEN LUNG (bandcamp.com)

Glass Future | Howling Giant (bandcamp.com)

and since it was bandcamp Friday I picked up that discordant caveman one with the chaos knight + tentacles artwork.

Shrines to Dagon | Out of the Mouth of Graves (bandcamp.com)

Not sure I can really sit through it in a critical listening session, but its cool background music for working.

And these guys released an album on Friday too. Perhaps a bit too much yelping and musical preposterosity for most, but they try. 

Moose Cult | Moose Cult (bandcamp.com)

NP: Iron Tomb - Vile Retribution

Vile Retribution | Iron Tomb | Mercenary Press (bandcamp.com)

a1147735725_10.jpg

So much catching up to last year yet to do. These guys are pretty good. Definitely an old school approach. The guitar is a little dry, but the earthy natural drum sound easily picks up the slack there. It's amazing to me how, as recording techniques and technology get better it starts to expose the flaws in the hyperspeed triggers  and mic-pans everywhere kind of drumming that you hear in bands like Archspire. I'll leave it to somebody else to pick on those dudes though. The metal community at large has got that part covered.

41 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

I direct you to 8.02 of ▶︎ The Ceremony Of Nine Angles (live) | Akercocke | Peaceville (bandcamp.com)

...and I remember now that Jason always yells "AKKA-KOKKA" during the crash out of the closing song in any set.

As you do.  

The guy who invented the GIF went to his grave yelling at the world that it was a "J" sound like in the word "giraffe". But it wasn't really up to him and hardly anybody listened. It belongs to the world now, the world will make up its own mind. 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0Sp1ob18Fyvh5nYJcm

5 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I thought it was Ak-A-cock-A. Like Acca Dacca.

I found two different interviews with Jason where they pronounced the band name Ak-er-cock-a with a short A on the front, an enunciated R, and an "uh" sound at the end. I have to assume they asked him how to pronounce the name before they started filming and introduced him. I'd always assumed the first A was a long A as in "acre" but it's not, it's short. But there's definitely an "uh" sound at the end, I believe this is called a "schwa" sound. But it's definitely not just cock, there's another syllable, it's cock-a. Doc will be pleased to know that the final E does indeed serve a purpose.

There was one Irish BBC interview where the dude called them Ak-er-cock-ee, but it was clear that he was completely unfamiliar with the band and he was Irish, and we all know they talk funny to begin with. Although I must say Irish is my favorite of all the English speaking accents. That interview was the best one because they only invited them on to ambush them about their Satanic beliefs and ask why they thought worshippers of the Antichrist like them were welcome in Belfast. They brought some nice indignant Catholic boys on to 'debate' them and had people calling in and live studio audience members adding their two cents, and everyone ended up talking over each other it was great.  

Akercocke Irish BBC TV Interview

48 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

The guy who invented the GIF went to his grave yelling at the world that it was a "J" sound like in the word "giraffe". But it wasn't really up to him and hardly anybody listened. It belongs to the world now, the world will make up its own mind. 

Peanut Butter: How does Jif define a 'choosy mom'? - Quora

10 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I found two different interviews with Jason where they pronounced the band name Ak-er-cock-a with a short A on the front, an enunciated R, and an "uh" sound at the end.

I submit that it doesn't really matter how he pronounces it if everyone in the audience is screaming Ah-kur-COCK when they play shows. 

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I submit that it doesn't really matter how he pronounces it if everyone in the audience is screaming Ah-kur-COCK when they play shows. 

Of course it doesn't matter, I've just always wanted to know how the band thought it was supposed to be pronounced because it's one of those tricky names that could go a few different ways like Funebrarum or Cruciamentum or Teitanblood. I know how I've always said it, but I wasn't sure how anyone else was saying it. But I'd never suggest it should matter to anyone else, you can all say it any way you like. Shit, I don't even like the fucking band. I might never utter their name aloud for the rest of my miserable life. But in my head now I can hear it correctly when I read it and that pleases me. 

But the Gif thing, fuck that guy I'll never say Jif. They couldn't pay me enough to say Jif. Because if they were supposed to be pronounced Jifs why not just name them Jifs? And anyway it stands for Graphical Interchange Format and the G in graphical is a regular hard G so why would it be Jif?

NP: Sznur - Sznur, Poland 2018

19 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I feel as if you guys have lost track of what's truly important: are Akercocke still putting naked ladies on their album covers?

Last naked lady the 'Cocke had featured on one of their covers was 20 years ago, so no. And even she was turned the other way. The best one was the Goat cover of course, but I feel I should point out that there are definitely much better places to see naked ladies than 'Cocke covers. Unless you look like one of these guys (The Misfats) and then yeah, an album cover might just be your best hope.

main-qimg-789561101cf5a0953b3072e27087a7e4-lq

Last two: Swordwielder - System Overlord, Sweden 2019

Swordwielder - Wielding Metal Massacre

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

This is it exactly. I agree that he shouts 'Akercocker' at 8.02, but I'd argue that he is still singing and you need the extra syllable if you're singing. The audience gleefully, clearly and repeatedly shouts Ah-kur-COCK and that's what I'm calling them now and forever.

Not that this matters in the least.

8 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Unless you look like one of these guys (The Misfats) and then yeah, an album cover might just be your best hope.

main-qimg-789561101cf5a0953b3072e27087a7e4-lq

Seems like a bit of an unfair name for a group of such finely toned and fit specimen.

Does make you wonder how popular a female version called The MissFats could be.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But the Gif thing, fuck that guy I'll never say Jif. They couldn't pay me enough to say Jif. Because if they were supposed to be pronounced Jifs why not just name them Jifs? And anyway it stands for Graphical Interchange Format and the G in graphical is a regular hard G so why would it be Jif?

He's wrong about so much, but he's right about this.

JIF - Never. It will forever be GIF.

Ah-Kur-cock-e for me but I delight in mispronouncing band names to piss off elitists who spend time researching such nonsense. Tee-shun-blood is another one that gets them riled.

On an unrelated note, I had to visit with the Dean of the Nursing program at the local Christian college. For those stateside, the second largest evangelical Christian school behind Bob Jones U. For those outside the states, yes those people. The ones most of us don't care for. The militantly anti-abortion, anti-women's rights, anti-anyone but them being able to decide what should be allowable. I would have rather had a hemorrhoidectomy. Save for the General, I've not met you folks in person. I'm a regular looking guy. Save for rather obvious and extensive tattoos, you probably wouldn't notice me in a crowd. Trust me when I say I stuck out like a sore thumb on this campus. Meeting went better than expected, but only because they didn't meet me at the truck where I was aggressively listening to a choice album they would have been unfamiliar with.

Malum - Legion

49 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Ah-Kur-cock-e for me but I delight in mispronouncing band names to piss off elitists who spend time researching such nonsense. Tee-shun-blood is another one that gets them riled.

How can this be? I say TEE-shun-blood as well, while most others I've heard say TY-ton-blood, and I'm an elitist asshole. I say AY-kur-cock-ee so not that different from yours, but still not correct because I like the long A at the start and the ee sound on the end and I'm not giving them up now.

I also say Crew-shyuh-MEN-tum while all my friends say Crew-see-a-men-tum, and I say Few-NAY-bra-rum while all my friends seem to say Few-neh-BRAR-um.

I also say Def Leffard because some radio DJ said it that way one time in the early 80's and for some reason that stuck with me.