What Are You Listening To?

khaos

2 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Bon would be looking as rough or worse were he alive. That man was not known for his temperance or moral rigor. My little brother honestly thinks they sound the exact same.

As for norsecore undergoing a similar process as deathcore, I suppose it makes sense. The punkier side of metal was never something I could claim any authority on, not being all that into punk myself (and yes, I am aware of just how strong an influence punk had on many important metal bands). The thing with deathcore, like any other genre, is that the assertion it's just death with some hardcore breakdowns and often some melodeath influence is really only true until it's not. There's plenty of bands that began life that way and went in a completely different direction, and plenty of bands that ended up there despite starting somewhere else. Then of course there's bands who had a ton of hardcore from before deathcore was really considered a thing. I mean some of the "slam" death bands out there like Dying Fetus or Skinless are really only honorary death metal in name due to their tenure, speed, and technicality.

In any case I usually try to avoid chopping black metal up by region unless I'm speaking within a purely historical context. As much as I love the music I just can't really keep my head on straight if I thought of something as Finnish style bm from Greece, or Greek bm from Russia. It'd be more than enough to make me lock myself up in a castle tower somewhere searching for mysterious traces of antimatter in the intestines of different genus' of quail. So I generally divide it into faster more raw material with a traditional one or two guitar band, heavy atmospherics making use of either keyboards, synths, ambient sound, or orchestration and usually stemming from the groundwork Emperor laid (folk bm can often fall under this umbrella category as well depending on their instrumentation), long form "hypnotic" black metal with a traditional band set and little to no atmospherics, and then some of the borderline stuff that can have sections of black metal but usually keeps them completely divided. These would be your 'post' or psychedilic or whatever bands. Once again, I'm not an authority on any of this, it's just the way I kind of keep things divided. In betweens and exceptions abound.

NP: Primeval Mass - Nine Altars

Nine Altars | Primeval Mass (bandcamp.com)

a4163540751_10.jpg 

I love Absu so much I even love Absu when it's not played by Absu.

I've heard someone say about black metal, don't remember who, that others bake cake and others bread and that's where it's easy to chop all the different styles in as many pieces as you like. I think it was Fenriz in some late 90's documentary. Sodality is the baked kind of black metal in my mind. Rich in sound and skilled in playing. Reminds me of Acherontas mostly. By the way wouldn't it be interesting if we started to review metal music like wine. "Hmm.. this is really fruity, like it was brought up from a honey badgers rectum." There probably is someone out there doing it.

---

This was yesterdays top ten

1. Master's hammer (26)

2. Horna (21)

3. Blood chalice (16)

4. Necrophobic (16)

5. Undergang (16)

6. Betelzeus (12)

7. Hell militia (12)

8. Branikald (6)

9. Infernal coil (6)

10. Iron monkey (5)

Don't see much Branikald around here. I had Rdyandalir on just the other day. Some Old Wainds too but I forget which one. I got big into the Blazebirth Hall bands a few years ago and there are some gems.

Forest - Foredooming the Hope for Eternity 

Last night was the rare Friday night show locally. We usually get national touring acts mid-week, but the stars aligned. Squishabugg, Kruelty (Japan), and Vomit Forth. Knuckle dragging hardcore influenced death metal. It was hotter than donkey balls in the joint and it was packed. This stuff is super popular with the keedz. I was probably the oldest guy in the room save for my buddy who's a touch older. Half the crowd was female surprisingly enough. Anyway, didn't do much for me. This new wave of bands like Squishabugg, 200 Stab Wounds, Frozen Soul, Undeath, etc just fall a little flat to my ears but I'm glad to see they are inspiring the next generation of heshers.

2 hours ago, navybsn said:

I got big into the Blazebirth Hall bands a few years ago and there are some gems.

Well damn. I'd never heard of this grouping of bands before. That looks like it could keep me busy for a while.

NP: Nephilim's Noose - Blood Chants of Impiety

Blood Chants of Impiety | Nephilim's Noose | Life After Death (bandcamp.com)

a2977598119_10.jpg

I suppose I probably shouldn't expect too much from such a small audience band. I do enjoy it, but when they hit the inevitable stompy death metal parts I really want them to tear off a piece and crush it. Instead it stays firmly rooted to the very primitive facets of the death metal formula, and they never really get my head and neck moving.

5 hours ago, navybsn said:

Don't see much Branikald around here. I had Rdyandalir on just the other day. Some Old Wainds too but I forget which one. I got big into the Blazebirth Hall bands a few years ago and there are some gems.

I spin Rdyandalir like every other week. By the timeless nightly dusk is one of the most ethereal bm songs ever. There's a little Fenriz styled constant drumbeat going on, mixed with somber guitar wall, crowned with a voice that growls only the pagan gods know what kind of prayers to the skies. The whole album is ethereal, atmospheric gem. I should finally give other Blazebirth hall bands a listen.

---

Today's top ten bands. It was a little quiet day in the listening front. Had a barbecue with the family so had to put little less heavy music from the speakers in the afternoon.

Archgoat (24)

Grave (19)

Inquisition (18)

Prong (13)

Voidhanger (12)

Clandestine blaze (8)

Blood chalice (4)

Type o negative (3)

Black label society (2)

Black sabbath (2)

6 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Well damn. I'd never heard of this grouping of bands before. That looks like it could keep me busy for a while.

NP: Nephilim's Noose - Blood Chants of Impiety

Blood Chants of Impiety | Nephilim's Noose | Life After Death (bandcamp.com)

a2977598119_10.jpg

I suppose I probably shouldn't expect too much from such a small audience band. I do enjoy it, but when they hit the inevitable stompy death metal parts I really want them to tear off a piece and crush it. Instead it stays firmly rooted to the very primitive facets of the death metal formula, and they never really get my head and neck moving.

https://www.discogs.com/label/289901-Blazebirth-Hall

Russian bm label. Fairly notorious for bands sharing members and borderline if not outright NSBM ideologies. Think it's defunct now.

The Blazebirth Hall is a black metal group from Russia that has existed since the early 1990s . Most of the bands and musicians come from Tula .

Similar to groups like the Inner Circle of the Norwegian scene , the Polish Temple of Fullmoon and the Black Legions from France, a group of puristic black metal bands, which are characterized by their own style, have existed in Russia since the early 1990s. Some members are also active with Temnozor and Walknut , numerous releases appeared on the Stellar Winter Records label .

The oldest and best known band at Blazebirth Hall is Branikald , who played the style typical of the circle from around Kveldulv . Kaldrad Branislav (Boris Podsoblyayev) is the main composer as well as the ideological head behind most of the projects. In 1996 Forest released their debut album of the same name, the sound of which is based on bands like Graveland or Isengard . The 20-minute psychedelic neofolk hymn Winterhowl deserves special mention . On the follow-up albums, Forest's style was initially similar to that of Branikald.

From the late 1990s, Blazebirth Hall turned increasingly to Nazi esoteric topics. Dagorath left Forest and Rundagor in 1998 and has had nothing to do with the NSBM scene since then .

Virtually unknown outside of Russia until the mid-2000s, the Blazebirth Hall became known in Western Europe through the Internet. Since the physical sound carriers of the albums were extremely rare (up to 2000 almost only cassettes were released in very limited editions), this led to numerous bootlegs. Most of the albums were then officially re-released, partly against the wishes of BlazeBirth Hall. Often times the titles were translated into other languages, which led to confusion. Branikald's album Хмель мизантропии can also be found under the names Khmel 'mizantropii , Rusmjod Av Misantropie , Rausch der Misanthropie and The Mead of Misanthropy .

From around 2000 the musical activity of the groups decreased rapidly, which among other things had to do with the imprisonment of Kaldrad for various violent crimes. The last album Branikald's Triumph des Willens was released in 2001. Here the music is less spherical, so Oi-Punk influences were incorporated and sometimes clear vocals were used.In 2005 Forest reformed for another album, which deviates from the band's earlier style and is viewed critically by the bands' fans. The music on In the Flame of Glory is produced more clearly and can be roughly assigned to Pagan Metal . After Ulf's opponent Irminsson was murdered, Forest finally disbanded.

In 2010 the last album so far, Nitberg - Nagelreid was released. Kaldrad's death in a car accident in 2019 put an end to the activities of BlazeBirth Hall.

style

The majority of the bands involved play a raw Black Metal style, which, starting from Burzum or Darkthrone , developed into an extremely repetitive and atmospheric style. For example, the drumming, influenced by drummer Wizard , consists in most of the songs of a continuous, slowly played blastbeat, while the guitars use spherical, shimmering tremolo riffs, the production is rather simple. [1] The music of Branikald's Frost Vision is described as cold , but also as too repetitive. [2]

Occasionally, undistorted guitars with a strong reverb are played (e.g. the eleven-minute song Рдяндалир ), which results in a sound similar to Blackgaze . However, this genre did not establish itself until about 10 years later and was not influenced by the Blazebirth Hall.

The singing is predominantly in Russian, but some, especially older, song titles are also in a bizarre mixture of English and Norwegian, e.g. B. ... Ablaze far av Nattensky by Branikald Kveldulv .

Meaning and reception

After the first Branikald demo Stormheit , a Finnish pagan metal band named themselves.

Bands

• Branikald (1993–2001)
  • Forest (1994–2005)
  • Rundagor (1994–1998)
  • Raven Dark (1994–2000)
  • Wotan Silver (1994–2000)
  • Vargleide (1999–2000)
  • Nitberg (since 1999)

Years of activity in brackets. Furthermore, there were other projects such as Yggdrassil or Woods of Fallen , which did not release any albums.

Today's playlist

Primordial - Imrama

Dwarves - The Dwarves are Young and Good Looking

Anathema - Distant Satellites

AC/DC - Highway to Hell

Cult of Fire - मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान

Wagner Ödegård - Om kosmos och de tolv järtekn

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill

Sepultura - Bestial Devastation

Satyricon - Volcano

Rush - Grace Under Pressure Tour 1984

Phrenelith - Chimera

Old Wainds - Nordraum

Inquisition - Black Mass For A Mass Grave

Violent Femmes - Add it Up 1981-1993

Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine

The Ruins of Beverast - Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite

Ordinance - In Purge There Is No Remission

Darkthrone - Old Star

Dragkhar - At the Crossroads of Infinity

The Dead Milkmen - Death Rides a Pale Cow

7 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Massacra - Final Holocaust

Even though they're somewhat unknown elsewhere I get the feeling everybody knows this album here. Still it doesn't feel right to let this album spin without a word about just how much ass this kicks.

This is one of those cases where I own and enjoy their one infamous album Enjoy the Violence, but haven't spent much time with their other 4 albums. That debut is gold.

Massacra - Signs of the Decline, 1994, even this third one is very good, if a bit prophetic because on the 4th one they fell apart ala Soulless, Wolverine Blues, Cold Lake, Swansong, TBA...all the albums people love to hate when they feel like a band has changed sub-genres in a more accessible direction.

3 hours ago, navybsn said:

Today's playlist

Primordial - Imrama

Dwarves - The Dwarves are Young and Good Looking and Hung like Horses

Anathema - Distant Satellites

AC/DC - Highway to Hell

Cult of Fire - मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान

Wagner Ödegård - Om kosmos och de tolv järtekn

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill

Sepultura - Bestial Devastation

Satyricon - Volcano

Rush - Grace Under Pressure Tour 1984

Phrenelith - Chimera

Old Wainds - Nordraum

Inquisition - Black Mass For a Mass Grave

Violent Femmes - Add it Up 1981-1993

Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine

The Ruins of Beverast - Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite

Ordinance - In Purge There Is No Remission

Darkthrone - Old Star

Dragkhar - At the Crossroads of Infinity

The Dead Milkmen - Death Rides a Pale Cow

That's some playlist. Need more Dwarves in my life.

2 hours ago, JamesT said:

Overkill - "The Grinding Wheel"

Overkill - "The Wings of War"

Overkill - "Scorched"

Overkill - "Relix"

I've been spinning some Kill too, not getting as much in as you have, but I did play Ironbounnd and Grinding Wheel last night. Maybe tonight I'll hit White Devil Armory, can't even remember the last time I listened to that one. Maybe it's time for a little Scorched again too, it's been a couple of months already. Listened to a live set of theirs late last night from this year and they had both the title track and the Surgeon worked in there and they sounded pretty good.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

This is one of those cases where I own and enjoy their one infamous album Enjoy the Violence, but haven't spent much time with their other 4 albums. That debut is gold.

Massacra - Signs of the Decline, 1994, even this third one is very good, if a bit prophetic because on the 4th one they fell apart ala Soulless, Wolverine Blues, Cold Lake, Swansong, TBA...all the albums people love to hate when they feel like a band has changed sub-genres in a more accessible direction

That's funny. I know apologists for all of those albums except Soulless. Surely you don't mean Grave right? I thought people liked that one generally.

NP: Godflayer - Visceral Therapy

▶︎ Visceral Therapy | GodFlayer (bandcamp.com)

a3973465289_10.jpg

Fun little one man death thrash band that apparently hasn't been signed yet. The quality's there though. Pro grade package all around. My guess is that it would be too difficult to put together live shows which are usually the bread and butter for these bands so seeking a label just wouldn't be worth it. Still, if I ran a label and this went across my desk I'd have a hard time just letting it slip by.

15 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Predatory Light - Death and the Twilight Hours (2022)

Now this is interesting. Normally the thin tremolo riffs can be a big problem without twin harmonies or a ton of interplay between the other instruments, but here the commitment to it is so complete and so apparently deliberate it kind of comes back around to a really compelling dynamic. Especially so since there's clearly a second guitar track with a fuller sound used sparingly when they really want to sell a change up. I'll definitely give this another spin or two very soon. Also is it just me or is this way outside of 20 Buck Spin's wheelhouse?

12 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

That's funny. I know apologists for all of those albums except Soulless. Surely you don't mean Grave right? I thought people liked that one generally.

Yes, of course I mean Grave. That could be the worst one of the bunch. First time I heard it I was flabbergasted.  Fortunately it was just that one album and they were able to come back from that, and they went on to have a solid career and become my favorite overall death metal band. Even though The Chasm has 175 more Scrobbles.

Vicissitude - Neolithic Necrocannibals, black/death New Zealand 2022

Abolition Ritual - Cosmonemesis, black/death Italy 2022

50 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yes, of course I mean Grave. That could be the worst one of the bunch. First time I heard it I was flabbergasted.  Fortunately it was just that one album and they were able to come back from that, and they went on to have a solid career and become my favorite overall death metal band. Even though The Chasm has 175 more Scrobbles.

That's nuts. I liked it at least more than Hating Life, and maybe even slightly more than Back From The Grave. Never heard it had any kind of black sheep status in their discography.

NP: Persecutory - Summoning the Lawless Legions

▶︎ Summoning the Lawless Legions | Persecutory (bandcamp.com)

a2227281850_10.jpg

Desekryptor - Vortex Oblivion, death metal Fort Wayne IN

Invultation - Unconquerable Death, black/death Columbus Ohio 2021

Invultation - Severed Umbilical Chaos, track #3 from "Feral Legion" the new one coming out in two weeks. Will be clearing out a spot in my top 5 for the year for this if this promo track is anything to go by.

Here's my top ten most played artists/albums from this week: 

10. Akitsa - Goétie

9. Purtenance - …To spread the flame of the ancients

8. Master's hammer - Jilemnicky okultista

7. Graveland - Carpathian wolves

6. Inquisition - Nefarious dismal orations

5. Pungent stench - Been caught buttering

4. Revenge - Triumph.Genocide.Antichrist

3. Grave - Into the grave

2. Clandestine blaze - Harmony of struggle

1. Archgoat - the Apocalyptic triumphator

This might have turned out to be my new favorite Archgoat album, but I'm not sure. I have to give it a few more rounds.

Listening to loudwires top 50 thrash albums

46. terror and submission (1987) - holy terror 

This band was formed by Kurt Collfelt after he left agent steel along with Keith Deen of Lust who ended up making this great little record. I don’t really have much else to say it’s good

45. fools game (1989) - mordred 

From what I can gather this band started out playing a thrash meets funk sound before going full on funk metal which is really disappointing because I really like this album's sound particularly the bass. Art liboons performance absolutely carries the album with his bass line on every day’s a holiday being easily the best.