What Are You Listening To?

khaos

偏執症者 (Paranoid) - Out Raising Hell, 2020 Sweden. Some kind of thrash metal, hardcore, d-beat fusion. No idea why a Swedish band chose a Japanese name and lists all their song titles in Japanese. Guessing it has something to do with them loving Japanese hardcore because Japan has a great and long tradition of hardcore bands. But Sweden has a great and long tradition of metal bands so this record is very metal.

▶︎ Praeparet Bellum - 2023 | Rigor Sardonicous (bandcamp.com)

Rigor Sardonicus - Praeparet Bellum

a0808226396_10.jpg

Between this and that God Disease album from a few months ago it's going to be hard for anybody else to contend for death-doom album of the year.

EDIT: Wow. A quick look at the reviews seems rife with people taking the piss out of this band because they have a sense of humour about themselves. No fun allowed apparently. What the hell? Some of these people listen to drone.

Edited by Nasty_Cabbage
Added comment.

Metallica - "Hardwired...to Self-Destruct"

Hate Eternal - "Fury & Flames"

Hate Eternal - "I, Monarch"

My favorite death metal band never disappoints.  Not sure if they're moving forward right now, since Rutan is now in Cannibal Corpse, but hopefully, they'll release more killer music in the future.  "Upon Desolate Sands" was one of my favorite albums of 2018.

Ὁπλίτης - ρωθησομένη.Fucking wankers are from China but it's all Greek to me. Good album though.

XATHUR - Inevitably Dark. Instrumental metal. Well played, well produced, but it's so long and so boring.

NIGHTBRINGER - Death and the Black Work +Rex Ex Ordine Throni. Yeah, baby. This one brings home the bacon.

Also, EELs 48 - Dolphins 20. Fuck youse all.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

NIGHTBRINGER - Death and the Black Work +Rex Ex Ordine Throni. Yeah, baby. This one brings home the bacon.

Also, EELs 48 - Dolphins 20. Fuck youse all.

But your Eels got their asses kicked 16 to 6 in the 2nd half. They're just gonna have to do better, they are the defending runners up after all.

I don't have anything from Nightbringer, and I like bacon so I gave this Black Work a shot. I think your Xathur comment 'so long and so boring' fits nicely here as well.

The Gauntlet - Dark Steel and Fire, New Jersey

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I don't have anything from Nightbringer, and I like bacon so I gave this Black Work a shot. I think your Xathur comment 'so long and so boring' fits nicely here as well.

Fuck me, and I thought I had a short attention span.

And the second half does not matter when the game is won.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Fuck me, and thought I had a short attention span.

I like Nightbringer. Initially they can sound a little static, which is why I think a ton of black metal bands end up falling back on the keyboard and synth to carry the transitions through the flatter parts of whatever atmosphere they're going for. Problem is the synth stuff is almost always, for myself anyway, of a far lower quality sound-wise than what you can create with guitars on a black metal budget. I'm not talking about super compressed slick production like you get with modern Behemoth or Immortal either. There's honestly just no good way to get a really good even electric pipe organ sound without some really serious care being taken in the recording process. Nightbringer I think circumvents this problem nicely, keeping the flow of the songs from being to "blocky" but also nicely balanced.

In a perfect world, though, I'd really like U.S. black metal to move a little further toward Absu territory, but seeing as Proscriptor is currently on the black list of larger metal websites, I'd be happy to see more bands like Nightbringer around. Maybe even integrate some Finnish style and influence a la Forgjord.

NP: Venemous Breath - Svb Vmbra Occvltorum 

▶︎ Svb Vmbra Occvltorvm | Venomous Breath | Life After Death (bandcamp.com)

a3056437258_10.jpg

The cover says black metal, but the music says death. I enjoy it regardless.

10 hours ago, JamesT said:

My favorite death metal band never disappoints.  Not sure if they're moving forward right now, since Rutan is now in Cannibal Corpse, but hopefully, they'll release more killer music in the future.  "Upon Desolate Sands" was one of my favorite albums of 2018.

The first 3 Hate Eternal albums are untouchable in my eyes, but after that I stopped following the band.

That's not to say I've found an equivalent band to listen to, but I don't like the way Eric Rutan makes his productions sound. It spoils my enjoyment.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Yep, and not boring at all.

It was boring as shit (and yes I have a short attention span so I only gave it about 10 minutes) but it's not really black metal is it. At least I don't see how that's truly black metal. They should come up with another name for stuff like that.

Incidentally, this Black Work album has a 62% on M-A, and their 2nd album got a 53%. But then their last two albums got an 86% and a 78% so maybe I'll try one of those and see if it's any better. Maybe only the first two albums were boring as shit.

Nightbringer - Photo

Nightbringer - Ego Dominus Tuus, 2014. Ok now this higher rated album sounds like symphonic black metal. I don't do symphonic. And then it's dissonant and weird on top of being symphonic. I'm listening to track 2 now which is 6 minutes of waves breaking, distant war drums, whispering and synths, no actual music. Now track 3 has started and they're blowing horns or something over some whooshing synths so another 4 minute non-musical track.

This is artsy prog-black for the artsy intellectuals who fancy themselves black metallers but don't really like black metal. I like my black metal to be a riffy & punky caustic aural attack from the first minute to the last minute like the Finns and the Norge and the Poles do it. Get to the fucking point dudes, I've got no time for this artsy horseshit.

Altertum - Thunder from the Great Halls, Norway. This is one of my top 3 black metal albums for this year so far but there's no Bandcamp, no digital, not even a CD, just a cassette & vinyl release which is really pissing me off. But it's still badass.

Zigota - Exaltation, Lithuanian black, brutal but interesting.

Abhorrent Execration - Death... Doom... Despair... demo France, whatever this is, it's primitive and awesome, just wish it was longer than 10 minutes.

Crucifixion Ritual - Desecration of the Archangels, war metal in the Archgoat vein from the USA. This teaser track is from their new  €3.33, 3 tracks, 10 minute EP which is marvelous but much too short. I'll be keeping my eye out for a full length.

Crucifixion Ritual - Gouging the Eyes of Angelic Purity demo 2021. This was their 10 minute demo. Also primitive but the sound is a bit muddy, the new EP is better.