What Are You Listening To?

khaos

19 hours ago, Thatguy said:

ILAT MAHRU - Ilat Mahru. OK but would be so much better if it were better produced. That is, if it didn't sound like shit.

Probably one of the best albums you've ever posted. Egyptian black metal fuck yeah! Don't know what you're talking about Doc, this sounds fucking fantastic, it has been wonderfully produced. That is, not too clean. You may not appreciate their production choices and that's your prerogative. But I'm sure this is exactly the sound they were going for, and I wholeheartedly approve. It ain't easy getting the fuzz just right.

Mayhem - Chimera

Listened to this 4 or 5 times and it's growing on me. Way better than Grand Declaration. Tons of cool dark riffs and tones. Tons of speed. Hellhammer's drumming is amazing as always. Some of his fills are off time and just weird. I could listen to the whole album just the drum track. A few songs get boring if you're not in the mood but it's a solid album. (Thanks to Father Alabaster for the reco)

Serpent's Oath - Revelation (2024). 

I think Relentless Oblivion said he was listening to this "evil melodic bm" so I had to check it out. I like the approach and it's got some good darkness but it's not that original and gets boring halfway through. 

Watain - Trident Wolf Eclipse

How black metal should be done. 

In Malice's Wake - The Thrashening

I think James T and AlSymerz were talking about this one. I enjoyed some of the riffs here a lot especially in song Onslaught. But overall the album was just ok. 

Next up probably gonna check the new Six Feet Under. See what they're up to. 

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But I'm sure this is exactly the sound they were going for, and I wholeheartedly approve.

You are no doubt correct and I get that the sound was the choice they made, but you can still have warm metal fuzz with greater definition in the lower frequencies. I was a bit harsh saying it sounded like shit. It is a good album but I just think it could have been better.

CROWN OF ASTERIA -  Cypher. I finished this. Not too weird actually. The sound a bit thin but good stuff.

THE NOX ENTITY - LHAÄD Beneath. This is what I'm talking about. This sounds great. I can even hear the different cymbals. Also excellent everything else.

NP - SLOWDIVE - Slowdive. Noice.

2 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

TEN TON SLUG - Colossal Oppressor

....this is good....

IGGY POP - Live At BBC

.....but this is better.....

Man, I had no idea Ten Ton Slug had a new album out!  I've been a fan for about 3-4 years now and was hoping they were still together.  Can't wait to check out the new one!

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

You are no doubt correct and I get that the sound was the choice they made, but you can still have warm metal fuzz with greater definition in the lower frequencies. I was a bit harsh saying it sounded like shit. It is a good album but I just think it could have been better.

One man's shit is another man's foie gras.

Umbría - Hierofanía del Disgregado demo, Chile

Cold - A Grotesque Portrait of Oldest Time, Chile 2020

6 hours ago, Necrolord said:

Mayhem - Chimera

Listened to this 4 or 5 times and it's growing on me. Way better than Grand Declaration. Tons of cool dark riffs and tones. Tons of speed. Hellhammer's drumming is amazing as always. Some of his fills are off time and just weird. I could listen to the whole album just the drum track. A few songs get boring if you're not in the mood but it's a solid album.

Serpent's Oath - Revelation (2024). 

I think Relentless Oblivion said he was listening to this "evil melodic bm" so I had to check it out. I like the approach and it's got some good darkness but it's not that original and gets boring halfway through. 

Watain - Trident Wolf Eclipse

How black metal should be done. 

In Malice's Wake - The Thrashening

I think James T and AlSymerz were talking about this one. I enjoyed some of the riffs here a lot especially in song Onslaught. But overall the album was just ok. 

Next up probably gonna check the new Six Feet Under. See what they're up to. 
Yeah a lot of my thoughts on the recent album albums. I’ve been posting after from a first listen, I’m playing catch up honestly there’s a boat load of new releases from the last couple of months that I’ve missed and I’m sharing the ones I like well enough not turn off within five minutes.

NP: Autopsy - Mental Funeral 

Six Feet Under - Killing for Revenge (2024)

To say that I hadn't listened to SFU since their very first album, The Haunted, comes as a shock. Here, I feel more like I'm listening to ersatz Cannibal Corpse at times.

On 5/15/2024 at 1:07 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

Agree with all of this. It's funny that Various Failures is now tough to track down. It used to be the only one you could find, and Love Of Life and White Light were out of print and massively expensive. 

@JonoBlade, one other rec. The "Swans Are Dead" live double album is all from sets in the mid to late 90s, and it's intense. .

All of these are on BC so no problem with sourcing Swans.

I don't normally go for live albums but I imagine it will work well in the context I am going to listen to it: zoning in and out while working.

10 hours ago, Arioch said:

Six Feet Under - Killing for Revenge (2024)

To say that I hadn't listened to SFU since their very first album, The Haunted, comes as a shock. Here, I feel more like I'm listening to ersatz Cannibal Corpse at times.

Ersatz indeed, although there are plenty of bands who can Cannibal Corpse with Cannibal Corpse and not lose a step. This band is one for whom it seems the entire internet has an unapologetic hate-boner, myself included. The years of redoing classic rock songs certainly didn't help things, not to mention the fact that Barnes has shown zero growth as a musician beyond junior high school over all these years. I can't say I blame people for directing their derision toward him. There are bands I personally don't care for, and plenty of examples of personalities in extreme metal that simply rub me the wrong way making it difficult for me to enjoy their music, but I can almost always pull something mildly redeeming from a casual listen. This stuff. I got nothing. It's just bad, and unlikely to ever get better.

NP: Speedkiller - Inferno

Speedkiller - Inferno | Helldprod Records (bandcamp.com)

a2395487756_10.jpg

Exactly what you'd expect and want. The slant is ever so slightly away from thrash and into death metal, which works in their favor. Plus it helps keep the pizza-thrash label away from them (Sorry. That genre label still makes my inner cantankerous old man groan in pain.). This is comparable in style and quality to Magnus. Very enjoyable.

7 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

All of these are on BC so no problem with sourcing Swans.

I don't normally go for live albums but I imagine it will work well in the context I am going to listen to it: zoning in and out while working.

The myriad of EP's, comps and re releases can be confusing to to say the least. Be careful not to get Various Failures and  White Light From the Mouth of Infinity or Love of Life as Various Failures is a comp and pulls from both of those albums plus some others and you'd end up with many of the same songs. I actually have all of those and like having both sets, but there's so much overlap it's probably not worth it.