The Best Thrash Metal Albums (According to AOTY)

agamerwholovesmetal

26 minutes ago, agamerwholovesmetal said:

Just found this list of the "best" thrash metal albums on album of the year and it is hilariously bad. I don't know if anyone here has already mentioned it but i just had to share this.

The Best Thrash Metal Albums of All Time - Album of The Year

I usually cut list makers a fair bit of slack, but this is hilariously, unbelievably bad. Thanks for sharing, it made me kind of laugh.

The Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth is to be expected. The black album is not thrash though. I consider it to be hard rock. The closest that album gets to any kind metal, thrash or otherwise is Through The Never and I'm pretty sure that one just has pretty generic triplets as a hook. Also why do rednecks like to walk down the aisle to Nothing Else Matters? Just why? The lyrics are so bloody vague, but they're definitely not the fitting for wedding vows.

Weird choice to have Cavalera conspiracy, but we'll let a few things slide for personal taste.

No Trivium. Trivium doesn't earn a spot on the greatest of anything. Not only do they have nothing to do with thrash, but their entire career has been one long string of absolutely nothing original or well composed. I hate to be the guy that calls out the career music industry stooges, but it's gotta be said.

I like Voivod, but they sort of defy categorization. They're another band that has had a lot of ups and downs in their career, and that Target Earth album is a down.

Vektor? You know what, fine. We're clearly ignoring the test of time here, so okay. The album should be Black Future, though.

Machine Head? No, man. They were nu-metal with a little edge, but their sound is so heavily industrial, simplistic, and weak. We don't need that late 90's early aughts bull. They came out of a time and place when thrash was missing in action in the metal scene, and I'd just as soon they never got a record deal at all.

Enforced. If you had to throw in something from this year you could have done worse I guess.

Revokation. Not thrash. Not the worst band out there even if some of their material can get a little too slam for me, eh. And that's not even their best album, but even if it was it's not thrash.

Alright I'm going to stop itemizing this because so much of it is either not thrash or waaaaay to recent to justify placement here. Why would you choose that Kreator album, that Arch Enemy, that Municipal Waste, that Testament, Sepultura, and that Overkill. This whole thing was put together by somebody who can't possibly be out of high school yet, and has probably only been into metal for a few years. There's just no other way to explain it.

I mean, stuff that, just based on genre, doesn't even belong:

Trvium

Voivod - nothing after what, Dimension Hatröss?

Machine Head - maybe Burn My Eyes or The Blackening if you're being really generous

Arch Enemy

Lamb of God (or Burn the Priest)

Revocation

Integrity

Unearth

Mr. Bungle (outside maybe their first demo)

Dream Widow

Nevermore

Body Count

Venom

Bullet For My Valentine (dear, sweet mother of god...do you even know what Thrash is?)

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Dude who wrote that had to be joking right? No way anyone could actually believe this?

Now Orca the contrarian will come to tell us that those are all thrash bands just because we insist they're not. (and before I coud even post this he did!)

I would just add that nothing Voivod has ever done could be considered thrash. They went right from punk to prog, without ever stopping to say bonjour to thrash. 

30 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

I mean, stuff that, just based on genre, doesn't even belong:

Trvium

Voivod - nothing after what, Dimension Hatröss?

Machine Head - maybe Burn My Eyes or The Blackening if you're being really generous

Arch Enemy

Lamb of God (or Burn the Priest)

Revocation

Integrity

Unearth

Mr. Bungle (outside maybe their first demo)

Dream Widow

Nevermore

Body Count

Bullet For My Valentine (dear, sweet mother of god...do you even know what Thrash is?)

at least for bands like voivod and body count you could argue they played thrash at one point in their career (even though the albums that actually were thrash didn't even get a mention) but bullet for my valentine is somehow even farther from thrash than trivium

14 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Now Orca the contrarian will come to tell us that those are all thrash bands just because we insist they're not. (and before I coud even post this he did!)

It's like you don't know me at all. It's like all the time we've spent together, all the serious discussions we've had, and all the D&M's we've shared were for nothing because you just don't listen. Talk about being Mr. OppositePants. How could you after all this time?

Big part of the problem is if you look up bands like Trivium, Machine Head and Revocation on Metal Archives thrash is mentioned in the genre descriptions. So n00bs who don't know any better see that and think if it says so on M-A then it must be true. I myself bought a Trivium album almost 20 years ago after reading in a magazine album review that said they were carrying the torch for modern thrash. Which obviously turned out to be a complete crock of shit, so needless to say I traded that album right back in on my next visit to the record store.

1 minute ago, agamerwholovesmetal said:

I'll give 'em credit the 80s thrash list is somewhat better at first then you go down the list and realize they put classics like so far so good so what and the ultra violence as mid and albums like darkness decends as garbage only worthy of a 45%

But again, their number 2 and 3 80's thrash albums To Mega Therion and Scream Bloody Gore aren't even thrash so I stopped reading there.

The more I look at it the more ridiculous it becomes. I don't think you could make a more frustrating thrash list if you intended too, as a troll. It is actually making my brain hurt. Oozing Wound....2 albums...before Reign in Blood. 

I guess maybe it would be more fun to pick the worst transgression on this list, rather than comprehend all of the miscues.

On 7/22/2023 at 7:33 PM, agamerwholovesmetal said:

Just found this list of the "best" thrash metal albums on album of the year and it is hilariously bad. I don't know if anyone here has already mentioned it but i just had to share this.

The Best Thrash Metal Albums of All Time - Album of The Year

no 80s slayer or kreator's endless pain? i feel sorry for person who had wrote this list

38 minutes ago, z3r0 said:

no 80s slayer or kreator's endless pain? i feel sorry for person who had wrote this list

at least they enjoyed st anger and bullet for my valentine.

3 hours ago, Hungarino said:

The more I look at it the more ridiculous it becomes. I don't think you could make a more frustrating thrash list if you intended too, as a troll. It is actually making my brain hurt. Oozing Wound....2 albums...before Reign in Blood. 

I guess maybe it would be more fun to pick the worst transgression on this list, rather than comprehend all of the miscues.

The worst transgression on this list would be saying that st anger (#78) is apparently better than

slayer - christ illusion

dystopia - megadeth

oh and sodom's first album was apparently the worst thing ever on the 80s list but venom's clam before the storm is just dandy

3 hours ago, z3r0 said:

Only one Destruction album as well, and it's last years Diabolical!?

On 7/22/2023 at 5:53 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

You could make an argument for Possessed but CF? Death? Can’t wait to see the greatest black metal albums feature Metallica Black album at number one because it has black in the colloquial title.

It's pushing it, but with Mantas being a thrash band, I can maybe see how an argument could be made that enough of that carries over into Scream Bloody Gore for some people to try and claim it as a death/thrash album. That's really the only one you could get away with it though