Random metal thoughts

Dead1

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Maybe if you threw in an autographed Reed Mahoney jersey he'd come around.

The little turnstile will never play for QLD.

4 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

The only thing he'd love more is life size cut outs of Cameron Smith and Billy Slater to put at the end of his bed!

Cameron the kicker and Billy the biter...

They should let me pick the NSW team. I wouldn't pack it with Eels but Blind Freddy - or even the Orca - could pick and coach a better team than we saw last night.

Fortunately I don't care. Our boys done well and escaped uninjured and the Eels roll on toward their inevitable premiership.

And fuck me dead, I never needed to see that image again GG.

3 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

You've made thatguy's day!

A lot worse.

On 6/21/2023 at 7:34 PM, JonoBlade said:

Telling it like it is:

CRADLE OF FILTH's DANI FILTH: 'SPOTIFY Are The Biggest Criminals In The World' - BLABBERMOUTH.NET

I wish more bands and artists would call out Spotify. Time for Lars to put on his big boy trousers again.

There is a pretty mainstream acceptance that Spotify is shit, but yet the cattle continue to use it. I read this just today:

Typical human self destructive self interest in action.  Most people don't want to pay for anything and are more than willing to fuck over their fellow person to save a buck even if in the long run the unlubed dildo of consequence will royally fuck them too.

24 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Typical human self destructive self interest in action.  Most people don't want to pay for anything and are more than willing to fuck over their fellow person to save a buck even if in the long run the unlubed dildo of consequence will royally fuck them too.

Now there's a grindcore album title for you. The Unlubed Dildo of Consequence.

I have never really heard or actually listened a Journey song before until I caught the below track on radio.

And it dawned to me that these guys must be a massive influence on power and symphonic metal and even some more modern traditional heavy metal bands.

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

I have never really heard or actually listened a Journey song before until I caught the below track on radio.

And it dawned to me that these guys must be a massive influence on power and symphonic metal and even some more modern traditional heavy metal bands.

Every girl/woman from my generation was crazy for Journey 40 years ago. And also that Bat Out of Hell album by Meatoaf. All of them. And I think most of them still love both of them to this day. But Journey was insufferable mainly because they had like 5 or 6 top 40 hit singles just from that one album on the "rock" radio stations as well as the pop stations simultaneously in the early 80's and there was nowhere to escape from it. Some of their earlier 70's "classic rock" stuff from before they became megastars wasn't quite as terrible (not saying it was good) but the Steve Perry era with all those sappy ballads and that horrible "Don't Stop Believing" song was the absolute worst. Like Bon Jovi on estrogen. They still play that shit in sports arenas. I blame Journey for all the "power ballads" we had to suffer through later in the 80's when they didn't want to play the glam/hair bands' rockier songs on the radio because even they were too hard for the normies, so every hair band had to write at least one power ballad on each album in order to get on the radio and get paid. I now feel officially "old" that even middle-aged dudes in their mid 40's have never heard a Journey song.

Don't Stop Believin'

Wheel in the Sky

33 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I now feel officially "old" that even middle-aged dudes in their mid 40's have never heard a Journey song.

To be honest I am a bit of an outlier as I didn't get exposed to much mainstream music in my youth and my first forays into music were Guns N Roses and Metallica in 1992 and then I got into metal full time.

Being of immigrant background and living in primarily immigrant suburbs in Sydney and then Yugoslavia, western music was not played in my house or environment.  My parents listened to  some Croatian folk- pop singers ala Tomislav Ivcic and Dani Marsan.  My dad owned Jesus Christ Superstar and Grease soundtracks on vinyl and that was it when it came to western music.

I was only vaguely aware of Michael Jackson and Madonna as a kid.

Music played in my house as a kid in 1980s!

https://youtu.be/W39zbOcc-B0

6 hours ago, Dead1 said:

My dad owned Jesus Christ Superstar and Grease soundtracks on vinyl and that was it when it came to western music.

Jesus Christ Superstar was quite influential on me. It was broadcast on TV and I videotaped it in mid 80s. I now have it on vinyl but that came from a stash of LPs my brother had (that and Sepultura Arise - score!). I think it is why I like screaming vocals , because Jesus sure could wail.

Grease, no. Rocky Horror Picture Show, yes.

My own random thought....

I went down a rabbit hole reading content on www.skeptic.com yesterday. I was looking for a counterview after seeing a "documentary" about earthing. This is where you stand on the grass and the earth heals you with its magic. I'll use it in the sense of sitting on the grass to eat my lunch but I draw the line when someone is trying to sell me a "earthing sheet" which goes on your bed and plugs into the ground of the wall socket. Y'know, so you stay connected to the Earth while you sleep.

11 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I went down a rabbit hole reading content on www.skeptic.com yesterday. I was looking for a counterview after seeing a "documentary" about earthing. This is where you stand on the grass and the earth heals you with its magic. I'll use it in the sense of sitting on the grass to eat my lunch but I draw the line when someone is trying to sell me an "earthing sheet" which goes on your bed and plugs into the ground of the wall socket. Y'know, so you stay connected to the Earth while you sleep.

Huh GIFs | GIFDB.com

Did you run "plant based diet" through the skeptic dot com search engine as well to see what they had to say about that? I tried, but got all kinds of other results instead. Did read an interesting article about pH and I learned that pH stands for potential for Hydrogen which I never knew.

12 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Jesus Christ Superstar was quite influential on me. It was broadcast on TV and I videotaped it in mid 80s. I now have it on vinyl but that came from a stash of LPs my brother had (that and Sepultura Arise - score!). I think it is why I like screaming vocals , because Jesus sure could wail.

Grease, no. Rocky Horror Picture Show, yes.

My own random thought....

I went down a rabbit hole reading content on www.skeptic.com yesterday. I was looking for a counterview after seeing a "documentary" about earthing. This is where you stand on the grass and the earth heals you with its magic. I'll use it in the sense of sitting on the grass to eat my lunch but I draw the line when someone is trying to sell me a "earthing sheet" which goes on your bed and plugs into the ground of the wall socket. Y'know, so you stay connected to the Earth while you sleep.

I love hippies. Not in the sense that I generally follow their advice. They tend to be scared of everything. Sort of like a kid that won't watch horror movies is fun to make them watch horror films. (Oh, and slight aside here, can we just all admit that frightening children is funny. It's been funny since the dawn of time and it's still funny now.) And "earthing" sounds exactly like the type of behavior that would bring me endless joy and laughter to watch some one do, and probably spend money they don't have on the associated "natural" products. Jono, you at least had the sense to look at the endgame of something like that which is to ask What is some one trying to sell me? So, unfortunately, I can't make fun of you for it. Good job.

I had a roommate once who honestly tried to join a self-sustaining commune, much to my chagrin. Even years after that little stunt I could never get the full story out of him that caused him to return a month later. Maybe there are ways to live off the land and sustain a small community free of commercial interest, but if there are, these dudes are not likely to be the ones who can run it. Some of them sure can cook though.

Musicals, in there own way, influenced me as well growing up in that I absolutely despise them now. My parents both loved them. Got a plot about several woman being kidnapped by The Hills Have Eyes family bloodline and developing stockholme syndrome up on a mountain? Most execs would say that'll never fly for a mainstream film. Throw some happy go lucky tunes in there and boom! You've got yourself a hit. Got one of the shallowest takes in history on doo-wa 50's culture where the rapacious bad boy bikers are the good guys? Put it to crummy music, let Travolta shake his hips, and you're golden. There are two musicals in existence I watch about every five years and those are just nostalgia picks because I was a little kid when I saw them, and I do so by myself and with great shame: The Muppet Christmas Carol and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (although you really should read the book on that last one. I'll bet trying to make that ending okay for kids gave Disney writers nightmares for months).

• 1 month later...

Carpark-Kill

It looks a bit like the worst treatment of a support act in the world. Instead of getting to open the show they get to open the carpark. Mind you in my time there was a few bands that we'd have like to send to the carpark rather than putting them on stage.

Wonder if carpark support acts will be a new thing or if Metallica are just special. Given the support acts for Friday night were Pantera and Mammoth Van Halen and on Sunday night Five Fiver Date Punch and Ice Nine Kills I do think the carpark was the place to be.

9 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

It's a weird concept though. According to Blitz as recent as a week ago they still hadn't been given anything more than the time to turn up. They obviously knew they were getting paid but they claimed to have no idea if punters needed to pay, or where parking was.

Agree, it is a really weird message. On the one hand, super insulting if Overkill are playing a carpark and a fat kid with a famous dad plays the main stage; on the other hand - it's a free market. If Overkill want to do it and get paid I suppose, why not?

I doubt Overkill looked at it as anything but a positive move. They've been talking about it on and off for months now. Lack of organisation seemed to be their only negative about the gig. (That and Bittner was apparently feeling pretty terrible and struggled through the gig)

I've never listened to Wolfgang's stuff, I have no idea how good or bad he is, but he is the sort of thing I expect as a support act from Metallica. He's in the news, he's not going to show Metallica up and many critics do say he's earned his right to be a muso playing such gigs. If anything I'm surprised Metallica haven't pulled Pantera from the line up, not because of their music but because Phil still cops bad press from many outlets and Lars and Co wouldn't want to risk any bad press.

57 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I've never listened to Wolfgang's stuff, I have no idea how good or bad he is, but he is the sort of thing I expect as a support act from Metallica. He's in the news, he's not going to show Metallica up and many critics do say he's earned his right to be a muso playing such gigs. 

Well then many critics must have their heads up their asses causing their ears to become clogged with shit. I've never bothered checking any of Wolfie's stuff out before either, because I'm not even a VH fan to begin with. But seeing your post I just now went and found a random song and it's cringe. So bad. Incredibly bad. Makes the Van Hagar era crap sound awesome by comparison. Is that Wolfie singing? Maybe give 78 year old DLR a call at the old folks home and see if he'll take over vocal duties. He doesn't need the money, but he is an attention whore and the fans would shit themselves with glee.

Mammoth WVH - Better Than You

Most critics do have their heads up their arses, but that alone doesn't make them all wrong. It's hardly surprising that you aren't a fan of his. It would hardly be a surprise if he had no fans here at all. But to be fair none of that is an accurate reflection on how good or bad the guy actually is. Most people here dislike Metallica yet 100,000+ people in one city seem to think they are good enough to put on two concerts in one weekend. I'm not suggesting any of that makes WVH a legend but it also doesn't make him shit, surely his old man taught him something.