Random metal thoughts

Dead1

On 3/10/2023 at 9:31 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

not really, a random metal thought, more a random guitarist thought…

I wonder why Black Sabbath riffs seem to sound better the lower, I tune my guitar, but Carcass, Death, Darkthrone etc sound either weird or just bad?

I suspect because Sabbath riffs are often simpler, slower and more blues based 

On 3/9/2023 at 5:31 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

not really, a random metal thought, more a random guitarist thought…

I wonder why Black Sabbath riffs seem to sound better the lower, I tune my guitar, but Carcass, Death, Darkthrone etc sound either weird or just bad?

Riffs sound best in the key they were written in. The key you're used to hearing them in. Sabbath tuned lower so Iommi could bend the strings easier because of his two missing fingertips.

With all the talk about whether new Pantera is still Pantera, yes it's still going on in some corners of the internet, it makes me wonder how Melbourne fans of Vio-lence felt last night.

Since the revival of Vio-lence a few years ago it seems to have been a struggle to keep anyone in the band. Then they announced a Japan/Australia/New Zealand tour and Phil pulls out due to other commitments, a few months out from their Japan leg it was announced that Bobby G was leaving, then the drummer left, then last night at the last show in Melbourne Sean pulled out due to sickness. So the band that took the stage last night had no original members of Vio-lence and no members of the original reformed band either.

They probably played to less than 2000 people and I haven't yet spoken to anyone who went, but would seeing Pantera with only two original members be better than seeing Vio-lence with no original and no long term members? Personally if I'd have been there it would have to been to see Sacred Reich and Hidden Intent, but Vio-lence seem to be very highly regarded as one of the pioneering thrash bands

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

So the band that took the stage last night had no original members of Vio-lence and no members of the original reformed band either.

This is a well known philosophical thought experiment. Imagine a wheel barrow. Replace the wheel. Replace the handles. Replace the barrow. Replace the other bits and pieces. All with replacement parts of the same model wheel barrow. What is the entity you have at the end? Is it the same wheel barrow?

On 3/11/2023 at 3:54 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Slayer only tune half a step to E flat. Put Reign in Blood on YouTube and then play it at 3/4 speed. It actually sounds alright slower, still faster than a lot of other bands. Once you get used to it that way after a song or two then turn it back to normal speed, it sounds fucking insane.

Did you do this? It would be fucking insane to do this.

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This is a well known philosophical thought experiment. Imagine a wheel barrow. Replace the wheel. Replace the handles. Replace the barrow. Replace the other bits and pieces. All with replacement parts of the same model wheel barrow. What is the entity you have at the end? Is it the same wheel barrow?

Well in a similar analogy my box trailer is nearly 80 years old. It was my grand father's in the late forties when he was a state wide sales rep for a rope company. My father replaced the drawbar in the 60's. In the 70's we rewired it, made it bigger and remade it with steel. In the 80's we put a Commodore axle and hub set under it and added light truck tyres. In the 2000's we replaced the steel floor and added an extra 2 leafs to the springs. Then we changed the front and rear gate mechanism to raise and lower with a steel rod. But the tow hitch is still original.

But at the end of the day it's unfair to compare this trailer to Vio-lence because the trailer has held all sorts of shit together and never crumpled under it's own weight.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Is it the same wheel barrow?

Did you do this? It would be fucking insane to do this.

It's completely different with inanimate objects. It's still A wheelbarrow, but obviously not the same wheelbarrow. With people there's no such thing as replacement parts of the same model. All human replacements are by definition a completely different model.

Yes of course I've done this, the question is why haven't you done it? It wouldn't cost you anything Doc, what have you got to lose? Although clearly you fall well outside the typical Slayer demographic.

3 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

would seeing Pantera with only two original members be better than seeing Vio-lence with no original and no long term members? .... Vio-lence seem to be very highly regarded as one of the pioneering thrash bands

Wouldn't pay $5 to see either one of them, original members or not. With a free ticket and open bar I might consider watching Vio-lence if I had nothing else to do that night, but only if it were with Bobby G in and Sean out. Killian's participation would be an absolute deal breaker.

How can Vio-lence be a "pioneering" thrash band? They were part of the second wave of BAT, their debut album didn't come out until 1988. That's called trend following my friend, not pioneering. BAT was on life support by 1991/92, it's hey-day a distant speck in the rear view mirror.

I'm sure we established long ago that I don't care about genres or who fits in them.

I've heard a lot of people highly praise Eternal Nightmare, I remember the big mouth on the cover but that's about where my knowledge of Vio-lence stops until Bobby joined the band and it became a revolving door of players.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

I'm sure we established long ago that I don't care about genres or who fits in them.

I've heard a lot of people highly praise Eternal Nightmare, I remember the big mouth on the cover but that's about where my knowledge of Vio-lence stops until Bobby joined the band and it became a revolving door of players.

Relax gramps. Don't you know by now I'm just having some fun witchoo? Taking the piss as it were.

I remember when the much hyped Vio-lence debut came out in '88, we had been hearing for a year or two how it was on the way and it was gonna blow our doors off. I also remember being quite underwhelmed when I finally got my big mouthed copy home and threw it on the TT. Those vox rendered it essentially unlistenable to me. But you are correct that a lot of people do praise the band highly. My friend RIcc from the east bay swears by them and Forbidden while I have no use for either band.

4 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Which part of that post suggests a state of unrelaxness? Point it out and I'll be sure not to use such harsh and angry words again.

"Relax" is just a figure of speech where I'm from Orca. Its usage doesn't necessarily mean that I think you are in an unrelaxed state. Like when you tell somebody "Don't worry about it" and they reply "I'm not worried" as if they think you literally thought they were worried. At this time I do not know, nor do I need, desire or endeavor to know your present degree of relaxation. I only know you came back at me talking about the band Vio-lence when I'd originally just intended to pop in with a quick and hopefully amusing hit and run comment pointing out that someone had used the word "pioneering" incorrectly. I wasn't expecting a response or hoping to start any kind of a Vio-lence discussion. I don't even like the band. 

And since I'm here typing already, I must say I find this feigned sub-genre ignorance of yours quite amusing. We all know that you know what thrash metal is Orca. You can drop the act, you're not fooling anyone. You're a fully grown (and then some) pensioner, not some wet behind the ears post-millennial drongo who just fell off the turnip truck.

13 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Of course I know what thrash is, I know what death and black metal are too, but I have never denied that.

Yes you have. Do you now at this time wish to retract that denial? I'll allow it. We can strike it from the record. You might as well since I've never really believed you anyway. Now if you told me your mum mistakenly thought Kiss was black metal because they were in corpsepaint, that I would be willing to believe.