Headphones, amps and other audio gear

My first computer didn't have a hard drive, nothing like the days of tape installations.

My first IBM had a 40 MB drive and the sales droid told me "you'll never fill that up!". It lasted 6 months before I upgraded to a massive 80 MB. Now days my server has multiple drives with about 12TB of storage.

As far as headphones go I can't even remember the last time I put a set on and I am still using my Yamaha 5.1 surround amp from 1991 with a set of Jamo speakers.

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Annoyingly it seems like my Sony receiver has finally bit the dust. Many other various old pieces of gear are failing lately too so I'm not really surprised, but come on dammit. I need a cheap but decent stereo receiver with 2-3 inputs. No surround, no real need for Bluetooth. Not super super critical listening but I use this system to listen to tapes and double-check mixes. Any ideas?

Yamaha AS-301 gets stellar reviews. Ayima and Fosi make reasonably good if not disposable cheap options. I have both the Fosi V3 and Ayima A07. Both sound great and are under $100. 2 channel and plenty of power for Chi-fi class D amps. Topping and SMSL make some with more input options. Still, if you can stretch it, the Yammy is the best option.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Shit I don't even have 400 GB so that's 5 times more than me. Can't even imagine what he's got to fill up 2TB.

My very first computer's big selling point in 1998 was that it had a 10 GB hard drive which was considered huge at the time. Google tells me the average desktop PC in 1997 had 2.2 GB HDD.

The first 1GB hard drive was released by IBM in 1980. It weighed roughly 550 pounds and cost $40,000.

Dude, I've really no idea any more. I dropped almost 2TB cleaning out shitty rips, duplicates, and old limewire files from the torrent days. Still an obscene amount of stuff. And I only ever listen to about a quarter of it. Still more cleaning to do but at least Roon has made organization and browsing so much better. I've been collecting physical media since the mid 80's and digital since Napster first rolled out. I admit, I have a problem.

My first computer (Apple 2e circa 1983) had a tape drive. My first IBM had a 1mb hard drive. I remember thinking it was so vast that there was no way that would ever be obsolete.

But 400gb? Shit I've more music than that on my phone.

@Hungarino - under control at the moment only because I haven't had time for my biweekly Bandcamp rampages or monthly record store diving lately. It's only a matter of time before that's no longer the case.

I'm thinking of getting a new set of HP for my work office. I currently have a V-moda M100 and they're nice but the earcups are a little small and not comfortable for prolonged listening. I used to use a Philips Fidelio X1 which I loved but they have been moved to my livingroom where I listen at home.

I'm thinking a ATH M50x, they seem to get good reviews and have large over-ear cups. Thoughts?

On 9/7/2023 at 1:53 AM, Sheol said:

I'm thinking of getting a new set of HP for my work office. I currently have a V-moda M100 and they're nice but the earcups are a little small and not comfortable for prolonged listening. I used to use a Philips Fidelio X1 which I loved but they have been moved to my livingroom where I listen at home.

I'm thinking a ATH M50x, they seem to get good reviews and have large over-ear cups. Thoughts?

Meze 99 Classics with the Brainwavz earpad upgrade is my choice. Never had a desire to upgrade past that for closed cans. Great sound, very comfortable. You can get the Neo model if you want to save a few bucks (swaps the wood earcups for very durable plastic). The earpads are about $20 on Amazon (use the ATH M50 model). Several varieties. I use the angled ones.

That said, the M50X are a fine choice. Pretty much the standard in that category/price point.

On 9/7/2023 at 7:53 AM, Sheol said:

I couldn't imagine getting a separate pair of headphones to leave at work (which I presume is what you mean). I just got some custom IEMs from ACS which are great for commuting and in the office on the rare occasion I go in. They are basically ear plugs so I can't hear anything going on around. However, they fit so deep it is a bit of a hassle pulling them out if someone wants to talk to me. But I'd want to discourage that.

@navybsn's Meze 99 do look pretty cool, but for home I have HD650s which is as much as I would ever spend on headphones. 

During the day in the home office I have Focal Shape 40 powered monitors. They hardly ever got used until I started working from home, but I'm getting good value from them now. 

The 99 Neo can be had for $150 if you look, $200 if you don't. For me, the build quaility and durability are big factors. After many pairs of Senns, I love the sound but they don't hold up that well. I've had the Meze since 2017 and they still look and function as new.

That said, I use them sparingly these days. I no longer have anything portable with a headphone jack and I don't have a dongle. Only thing I have is my home amp with the built in jack, and if I'm listening to my Tekton floor standers (and so is the rest of the neighborhood). Home office I have powered Edifier S2000mkiii pulling regular duty.

I am looking for a pair of wireless OTE headphones for travel though. I have Samasung earbuds, but they get painful with extended use. Sound great, block all the noise, but 2-3 hours max. Most trips these days average 5-6 hours minimum. Looking at the JBL Live 660

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

I am looking for a pair of wireless OTE headphones for travel though. I have Samasung earbuds, but they get painful with extended use. Sound great, block all the noise, but 2-3 hours max. Most trips these days average 5-6 hours minimum. Looking at the JBL Live 660

I don't know if they'd be up to your standards but those Sony XM3s I got a couple years ago are still going strong. Good unfatiguing sound, good noise cancellation, good battery life. Took me a while to get used to the bassier EQ profile vs the MDR-7506 but the detail is still there.

47 minutes ago, navybsn said:

The 99 Neo can be had for $150 if you look, $200 if you don't. For me, the build quaility and durability are big factors. After many pairs of Senns, I love the sound but they don't hold up that well. I've had the Meze since 2017 and they still look and function as new.

That said, I use them sparingly these days. I no longer have anything portable with a headphone jack and I don't have a dongle. Only thing I have is my home amp with the built in jack, and if I'm listening to my Tekton floor standers (and so is the rest of the neighborhood). Home office I have powered Edifier S2000mkiii pulling regular duty.

Picked up a pair of those Neo's a few years ago because I saw them used for less than two bills and I was happy to save a buck. But I can't say I'm a fan. The change from wood cups to plastic is not just aesthetics, it changes the sound a lot. Buyer beware. My best ever headphone purchase in that under $250 price range are still the Fidelio X2's. Bought several pairs of headphones a couple years ago when my son and I were both sleeping in my king sized bed in the living room because we were renovating the upstairs and my bed didn't fit in the kitchen. Now that we've moved upstairs he has his own room and I don't really use headphones that much anymore.

Agree though about the earbuds, they're great for a little while but after 60 - 90 minutes I can't take the pain anynore. Don't know how you can stand them for 3 hours straight.

I really only really need headphones for when we travel occasionally because if we're sleeping over someone else's house like we did last weekend then I can listen to music on my phone late into the night while the normies are sleeping. I would love to use them on a flight if I ever went anywhere on my own without the boy in tow, but I don't get the chance to go off by myself much these days. I can't listen to music on a plane with him sitting right next to me because he never ever shuts up, I have to take them off every two seconds so it's pointless to even attempt to listen to anything with him there. But I was just like that at his age too, so I can't even be annoyed with the kid because he gets all his annoying habits directly from me.

33 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I don't know if they'd be up to your standards but those Sony XM3s I got a couple years ago are still going strong. Good unfatiguing sound, good noise cancellation, good battery life. Took me a while to get used to the bassier EQ profile vs the MDR-7506 but the detail is still there.

There's another Sony model they have here locally that I might try out. They're super comfy if I remember correctly.

22 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

The change from wood cups to plastic is not just aesthetics, it changes the sound a lot.

I don't think I'd heard that before, but I can totally see that. Earcup material can be significant.

15 minutes ago, navybsn said:

There's another Sony model they have here locally that I might try out. They're super comfy if I remember correctly.

The only discomfort I run into is from heat and sweat on hot days... might be an issue in your neck of the woods but not so much if traveling? They're up to the XM5 now. I haven't tried those. 

On 9/8/2023 at 5:30 PM, JonoBlade said:

I couldn't imagine getting a separate pair of headphones to leave at work (which I presume is what you mean). I just got some custom IEMs from ACS which are great for commuting and in the office on the rare occasion I go in. They are basically ear plugs so I can't hear anything going on around. However, they fit so deep it is a bit of a hassle pulling them out if someone wants to talk to me. But I'd want to discourage that.

Well since I spend 7-8 hrs a day at work, often listning to music when I'm not teaching, so it's the one place where I actually have proper listening-time. I got Bose' QC IEM's for travel and when I'm out, but I couldn't have those in my ears for so many hours without developing fucking sores or something.

I remember the Meze 99 going around on Metal-Fi, eveyone seemed to love them. Forgot about them, I'll have a look.

I've been a family carer for my parents for a few years now and have no means of listening to my music other than headphones and an audiophile walkman.

I've tested a few headphones.

As in-ear headphones, I really liked the Liberty 3 PRO. LDAC compatible, the sound is very good and the bass is very present. I regret that the battery life is barely 3 hours if you activate noise reduction and LDAC.

I prefer my two headphones, the AudioTechnica ATH-50 BT2 and the BeyerDynamics DT-770 PRO 32 ohms.

I listen to my music in FLAC with a FIIO M11S portable player and I use these two headphones a lot.

The Byerdynamics, wired only, provide good comfort for the head and ears. There's no noise reduction, but at home that doesn't bother me.

The AudioTechnica is the one I use the most. It's crazy long-lasting in Bluetooth with LDAC, and it sounds great too. It accompanies me on long train journeys. The noise reduction isn't the most effective and the comfort for the head/ears is less than with the Beyerdynamics, but I really like it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/30/2023 at 4:20 PM, navybsn said:

I recently upgraded to the Wiim Pro for my setup and have the same positive report. One I have connected to a SMSL SU1 DAC in the vintage system, but I'm not sure it's really needed (but $80 bucks why not). The other directly feeds my Edifier S1000 mkiii. Solid upgrades with an easy to use app and native Roon support for about $150 each. Finally ditched the troublesome Raspberry Pi units I used with much effort for years.

Also moved my server over to a NUC unit running Roon core. Finally got my library under control and down to just under 2TB. Easier to upgrade in the future and much more stable than the Pi based server. Sound quality isn't a huge change but ease of use is immensely improved.

Currently looking at potentially updating the vintage system. Thinking of replacing both 1970's era Marantz' to something new with better features and less maintenance. Looking at the Rotel A11 or A12, Yamaha AS-801, NAD 3050, or maybe splashing the cash for a Buchardt.

The Arylic was a great intro and I have since upgraded to the Wiim Pro Plus. Got it on sale for $175 on a black Friday deal.

Ether from router to the wiim, coax to my Edifier S3000 pros, awesome app that I use to play my Tidal all the way to hi-res and mqa quality.

Wiim pro plus meets the hype in terms of DAC, app functions including eq and sound quality settings, and full functionality of Tidal favorites and Playlist. This set up is end game and what I was looking for in terms of easy access and control, good remote, and connectivity. Unlocks the S3000s to full potential for deep clean base, tight, clear separation and detail throughout. Loud enough that we can hear the bass thumping from three houses over.

Very happy with this. If bandcamp can just make a compatible app I will really be set.

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2023 at 2:21 PM, Hungarino said:

The Arylic was a great intro and I have since upgraded to the Wiim Pro Plus. Got it on sale for $175 on a black Friday deal.

Ether from router to the wiim, coax to my Edifier S3000 pros, awesome app that I use to play my Tidal all the way to hi-res and mqa quality.

Wiim pro plus meets the hype in terms of DAC, app functions including eq and sound quality settings, and full functionality of Tidal favorites and Playlist. This set up is end game and what I was looking for in terms of easy access and control, good remote, and connectivity. Unlocks the S3000s to full potential for deep clean base, tight, clear separation and detail throughout. Loud enough that we can hear the bass thumping from three houses over.

Very happy with this. If bandcamp can just make a compatible app I will really be set.

A native bandcamp compatibility is the only thing the Wiim is lacking. I'd say it's lacking in Roon as well. Would be nice. Streaming from Youtube wouldn't hurt either. Fairly nice setup there Hungdog. Almost the same as my office system except for I'm using the S2000mkiii. Crazy good for roughly $600 invested.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to replace my studio stuff and I got a pair of Technics SB-A27 floor speakers and an old Yamaha receiver at the thrift store. I see people dunking on cheaper Technics stuff online, but I have to say this setup sounds great for what I need. Primarily using them as B speakers to fill in the blanks against my studio monitors. Stereo imaging is very clear.

We've talked about this before, but I've been meaning to get a side grade medium-fi reasonably portable option, but mostly for home use that pairs well with metal and rock ($200-400) as an alternative to my IEM's. I've got my "nice" Audeze HP's that I keep in a dedicated rig, so just looking for something that's more low profile or at least plug and play into my Draggonfly USB DACa/amp that I use with my laptop and potentially portable with an Ipod/music player.

I'm considering. :

• Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wired (lowest profile of the bunch)
  • Hifiman Sunandra
  •  Sennheiser  HD 660, 650 or Sennheiser 6XX(not low profile)
  • Meze 99 (not low profile)-I know Navy is a fan of these

If anyone has experience with any of these, holler!

11 hours ago, markm said:

I'm considering. :

• Hifiman Sunandra

I've been using HD 650 for years. Been through several cables because I kept stepping on it and tripping. 

Not at all portable and they're open back. but sound good. I think I got them originally because they're considered neutral and suited for mixing.

Anything more expensive than that would be diminishing returns for me.

I paid up for custom iems and don't regret that at all, but still a fraction of what some must spend.

3 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I've been using HD 650 for years. Been through several cables because I kept stepping on it and tripping. 

Not at all portable and they're open back. but sound good. I think I got them originally because they're considered neutral and suited for mixing.

Anything more expensive than that would be diminishing returns for me.

I paid up for custom iems and don't regret that at all, but still a fraction of what some must spend.

Thx Jon, what IEM's R U rockin?

48 minutes ago, markm said:

Thx Jon, what IEM's R U rockin?

Hilariously I had to investigate what I actually have. I think they are these:

In-Ear Monitors : Evolve Classic In-Ear Monitor (acscustom.com)

I would have done research at the time to find customs made in UK*, but the units themselves and case have no identifying model number on them (just ACS on the case). I got them July last year. They were a bit uncomfortable at first but now its fine and seal really well. Likewise, the initial sound quality wasn't that amazing but they sound great now. 

It was a similar experience when I got both Shure 530s and Earsonics SM64s - i.e underwhelming to begin with, but eventually you wonder how you lived without them.

When the HD-650 crap out I will probably invest in some higher end studio headphones, but not until they are totally beyond repair. I'll be due some new ear pads soon but otherwise they're in good shape.

*alas no one makes drivers in this country. Even Knowles (US supplier of drivers to ACS) has offshored production. Although, I think Earsonics do make their entire unit in France....but start at double price of the ACS.

My studio monitors (Focal) are affordable and made in France. 

18 hours ago, markm said:

We've talked about this before, but I've been meaning to get a side grade medium-fi reasonably portable option, but mostly for home use that pairs well with metal and rock ($200-400) as an alternative to my IEM's. I've got my "nice" Audeze HP's that I keep in a dedicated rig, so just looking for something that's more low profile or at least plug and play into my Draggonfly USB DACa/amp that I use with my laptop and potentially portable with an Ipod/music player.

I'm considering. :

• Hifiman Sunandra

Meze's are a treat to my ears! Warm, rich and surprisingly light.

I have Drop's HD6XX and they are the other side of the coin - open back, very detailed, expansive, precise, and defined layers of sound.

I probably lean to the Meze's more. Comfort food for your earholes.

18 hours ago, markm said:

I'm considering. :

• Hifiman Sunandra

I love the Meze, but they're not great for portability as all full size cans. If it's a "leave at the office" sorta thing, they'd work great. The newer Meze 109 are a good (more expensive) option, but I believe they are open-backed. The Meze sound great, but what really earns my fandom is the impeccable build quality. They are just quality. Very substantial, solid construction, easily replaceable parts, scale nicely with upgrades like cables, don't require a dedicated amp but respond well with one, long term comfortable.... I mean they should just pay me as a salesperson at this point. I've had mine since 2016 and they still look and sound brand new. All I've ever done is change out the pads (recommend the Brainwaves angled pads - $30 on amazon) and replaced a cable my cat chewed through.

I will say that I've always liked Senn cans because the sound good and are super comfy, but I don't like the plasticky build quality. I've heard a lot of complaints about the HiFiMan cans too.

28 minutes ago, Hungarino said:

I probably lean to the Meze's more. Comfort food for your earholes

Preach brother Hungus!

That Meze 109 looks sweet and I'm sure are the bomb, but at $800 on Amazon makes it a serious purchase. Sold out atm on drop. I'll have to think how important portability is? Hmm. I'm notoriously indecisive, over analyze just about everything in life and take forever researching before dropping  coin. 

I mean, I like the idea of having a low profile alternative to IEMs listening on my music player in the house or my office at school. But really, since I've got my LCD-3 in my dedicated rig and are harder to drive, the main thing is that I'd just like a good mid-fi can to plug into my laptop whether at home or work that I can drive easily with my Dragonfly and aren't fussy. Hey thanks guys for all the beta. 

I've run some searches on HP's for metal on some of these mid tier HP's. Audeze always come out on top esp the LCD2, but I've got a LCD-3 and want an easy to drive alternative. I'm thinking the Meze 99 might be the best bet. I was rooting for the Sunandra as it's easy to drive and a planar but while it seems to be a go to for audiophile recommendations for a great entry into Headfi,  it gets quite a few negative reviews for metal, so it's out.