Why some people like (,or dislike) Nu metal?

DirtyParadox

5 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Still at a loss as to how voicing valid criticism of a genre is disrespectful. Could it be that they can’t conceive of a world where theirs is the unpopular position? Also it’s amusing to me the praise he heaped on Chester, I woldn’t use such language to describe Chuck Schuldiner and I’m a Death fanboy.

Also I hate the colours yellow and navy because I’m colour blind, so I never know whether I’m actually looking at those colours or if they are white and black given how my eyes work.

I think it's more that they can't conceive of a world where anyone would be permitted to critcize them or anything they like. There appears to be a whole new generation of young people coming up that cannot seem to handle even the mildest, gentlest or most constructive criticism of themselves or of anything they like or believe. Snowflakes in other words. 

48 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

That's what I'm saying! Ragging on the other dude's shit is the time honored metal way. Everyone has engaged in this type of sledging behavior on some level at one point or another. People need to stop taking this shit personally. It's no different than friendly banter about opposing sports teams or whatever. All in good fun.

I wouldn't say it's in good fun or friendly banter a lot of the time.  There's some hardcore fanatical metal doctrine out there.  There is a serious tone underlying it.

And both you and I are exponents of it.*

And to be fair it's like that in other "elitist" pop cultures.  This has replaced/displaced religion, trade, ethnicity and political ideology as driving force of identity for many western suburbanites.

3 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I think it's more that they can't conceive of a world where anyone would be permitted to critcize them or anything they like. There appears to be a whole new generation of young people coming up that cannot seem to handle even the mildest, gentlest or most constructive criticism of themselves or of anything they like or believe. Snowflakes in other words. 

That's completely true.  

All this discussion of harsh musical criticism and the 'tough love' nature of the internet has me wondering; Have any of you guys ever experienced any real life negative consequences as a result of being avowed metal fans? The most I can really think of that ever happened to me was my father finding a Grand Belial's Key album I had left somewhere too obvious for my parents to miss. I got a long lecture and was made to break the CD in front of him as some sort of performative contrition despite me having been pretty much apolitical and didn't really know or care what the lyrics were.

Never got attacked by any antifa members outside of a Marduk show or anything like that. Most of those dudes are masked up and pretty non-confrontational if you just hold eye contact and don't show them any fear. They did manage to get a few shows cancelled that I was looking forward to, though. I also don't really wear metal shirts if I'm even stopping by the workplace to pick something up. It's just not worth the hassle if a customer sees me and decides to put me on his shit list or something.

If anything I experienced more outright hostility and exclusion for listening to oldies when I was in the fourth grade. It was absolute nonsense but there was a church group in this tiny little town of two hundred people in rural Minnesota who controlled everything. If you rocked the boat too much when you moved in they would do some seriously messed up stuff to run you out of town. They left threatening messages on the first grade teacher's answering machine deliberately referencing her infant son. She was a widow and hadn't even had the kid out of wedlock, not like that would've been any better. They tapped our phones, and held meetings at their church late at night discussing how to get rid of us. They ended up basically disciplining me at the school connected to the church for utterly stupid and spurious reasons. They accused me personally of being a corrupting influence on the other kids because I listened to oldies that employed "syncopated beats associated with Satan" I shit you not. At least I was able to laugh it off once we had left.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah I think I did see that video once. 

61-year-old pole dancer lights up room with wildly entertaining act

This is why you don't hear about the seven dwarves after Snow hooked up with that rich dude. That story gets dark in a hurry.

12 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

All this discussion of harsh musical criticism and the 'tough love' nature of the internet has me wondering; Have any of you guys ever experienced any real life negative consequences as a result of being avowed metal fans?

I was part of this metal forum once and told them how cool I thought Slipknot was and that they reinvented metal. The hate that spewed forth from the gatekeepers! They were bitter and old and grumpy. That was a real negative time in my life,

47 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

All this discussion of harsh musical criticism and the 'tough love' nature of the internet has me wondering; Have any of you guys ever experienced any real life negative consequences as a result of being avowed metal fans? The most I can really think of that ever happened to me was my father finding a Grand Belial's Key album I had left somewhere too obvious for my parents to miss. I got a long lecture and was made to break the CD in front of him as some sort of performative contrition despite me having been pretty much apolitical and didn't really know or care what the lyrics were.

Never got attacked by any antifa members outside of a Marduk show or anything like that. Most of those dudes are masked up and pretty non-confrontational if you just hold eye contact and don't show them any fear. They did manage to get a few shows cancelled that I was looking forward to, though. I also don't really wear metal shirts if I'm even stopping by the workplace to pick something up. It's just not worth the hassle if a customer sees me and decides to put me on his shit list or something.

If anything I experienced more outright hostility and exclusion for listening to oldies when I was in the fourth grade. It was absolute nonsense but there was a church group in this tiny little town of two hundred people in rural Minnesota who controlled everything. If you rocked the boat too much when you moved in they would do some seriously messed up stuff to run you out of town. They left threatening messages on the first grade teacher's answering machine deliberately referencing her infant son. She was a widow and hadn't even had the kid out of wedlock, not like that would've been any better. They tapped our phones, and held meetings at their church late at night discussing how to get rid of us. They ended up basically disciplining me at the school connected to the church for utterly stupid and spurious reasons. They accused me personally of being a corrupting influence on the other kids because I listened to oldies that employed "syncopated beats associated with Satan" I shit you not. At least I was able to laugh it off once we had left.

This is why you don't hear about the seven dwarves after Snow hooked up with that rich dude. That story gets dark in a hurry.

Yes on multiple fronts. Been harassed by religious weirdos in public on several occasions for wearing band shirts. That doesn’t phase me honestly. My former step dad though threw away all my shirts and most of my cds in my early 20’s. That was much harder to take, forced me to go digital because any time I bought a new CD heat just take it and throw it away as soon as he found it.

28 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I was part of this metal forum once and told them how cool I thought Slipknot was and that they reinvented metal. The hate that spewed forth from the gatekeepers! They were bitter and old and grumpy. That was a real negative time in my life,

Hah. I've made my feelings on Slipknot pretty clear before this. It is kind of funny though that just about the only time I was ever genuinely tilted by some one's opinion on a band it was this absolute weasel scrotum on youtube that was doing a video breaking down some list in Rolling Stone of all things about the hundred most relevant metal songs or something. Nothing I'd expect Rolling Stone to have the first clue on. I could tell I wasn't going to agree with the guy from the word go, but watched it anyway just to keep a little perspective. It was pretty clear he and I had arrived at our taste in metal coming from completely opposite corners of the musical world so okay, no biggie. Then he started talking shit about Bolt Thrower while in the same breath saying Slipknot deserved to be on the list.

That was one of those moments when I realized there are people out there with whom I should never be allowed to interact in real life. The opinion itself was dumb enough, but hearing it come out of nowhere from this dude who dressed like he was Jamie Jasta's pre-show fluffer, set me off. I had to stop the video because I realized I was grinding my teeth like some kind of lunatic.

So yeah, you sir Mr. AIS are pretty much good in my book. I wouldn't deign to try and stop you from lauding Korey Taylors child support payments in musical form. Think of the children.

2 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

All this discussion of harsh musical criticism and the 'tough love' nature of the internet has me wondering; Have any of you guys ever experienced any real life negative consequences as a result of being avowed metal fans?

None whatsoever.  Occasionally a glare from an old person or migrant when they see my metal to-shirts but that's it.

EDIT:    I forgot about being threatening letters being sent to the radio station I was volunteering  My show was singled out for Satanic content, but some old presenter also got threatened for saying "Godspeed."

It all went to police and I didn't really think about it.

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

I wouldn't say it's in good fun or friendly banter a lot of the time.  There's some hardcore fanatical metal doctrine out there.  There is a serious tone underlying it.

And both you and I are exponents of it.*

Damn straight we are. Or in Aussie-speak: Strewth.

Not discounting your personal experiences and impressions, but it's always been friendly banter on my end. I like to keep things about the music, and just because I might hate a band or a sub-genre doesn't mean that my criticisms of such should be construed as carrying over onto the listeners. That would be as stupid as getting angry with someone who liked a food I don't eat or a color I don't like. If I say vegemite or beetroot sucks ass that doesn't mean I think everyone who likes these things sucks ass too. If I say I hate green that doesn't mean I have a problem with someone else wearing a green shirt or driving a green car. And if I say Pantera sucks ass that doesn't mean I have a problem with anyone else who might enjoy them. To each his own. Just don't make me listen to it.

So it's serious for me in that I totally mean all the terrible things I say about the music I can't stand, I believe in my goat metal doctrine, and I'm pretty rigid about what kind of shit I want to listen to and what I don't. But I would never expect anyone else to agree with or adhere to my rules and criteria for my music. I wouldn't think any less of someone who liked a bunch of shit that I don't like. My best and oldest friend in the entire world tells me last year that Nightwish is his favorite metal band (true story) so I tried an album of theirs, and I couldn't listen to two minutes of that shit. But he's still my best friend. No two metalheads ever have the exact same criteria for what they like or find musically acceptable. I wouldn't dream of letting anyone else decide for me, so I've always just assumed that everyone needs to decide for themselves what their personal standards and preferences will be for their music. 

13 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Also where are you getting your definition of irony, Alanis Morisette? Irony is found in effects that have completely directly oppositional outcomes from what one would expect such as "Charles Bukowski's drinking problem eventually led his body to grow an extra lobe on his liver, prolonging his life." This is irony because heavy drinking in this case caused his liver to become healthier rather than decrepit as drinking is known to do.

Thank you Mr Professor for shedding light into the matter. Could you please now explain the difference between "hate" and "disrespect"?

16 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

This is the dude who wrote a cloying self pitying power-pop single about quitting cigarettes

You may like, not like or even hate it. But to me this is disrepectful. Sorry for not having a thick skin and sorry for throwing in my criticism that seems to be on a lower level than yours.

Seems your opinion is very important but I am not allowed to give mine.

6 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Also it’s amusing to me the praise he heaped on Chester

That is because you all totally missed the point and maybe you are not smart enough to get irony in my words... Or however Mr Professsor would call it.

Let me try to explain again... though I am pretty sure you will not get it... Mainly because you dont wan't to

Would you say the Nobel prize winners in literature are genius? I would say no and I may criticize the decission of the Price Jury. But I am never saying their work is "bullshit".

7 hours ago, Dead1 said:

I am not very modern and my language tends to reflect that.

12 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You need thick skin to be a metalhead

Thick skin and Gross language just reflects the cliche that Metalheads shall be badass, badboys or whatever rude guy role you choose for yourself. This is showing my hate for this kind of behavior.

That only reflects the label you all got stick so deep in your asshole that the crap inside you cannot properly flow and it comes out of your mouth as the shit you spit to everybody everytime you talk. The easier solution is to get rid of the labels in your anus. This is disrepect despite the fact I adorned it as a joke.

Oh! And I haven't said "fuck" a single time!

Edited by DarkMetalGeek
Just corrected some typo, in case Mr Professor cries out loud about it!

14 minutes ago, DarkMetalGeek said:

Ahem, yes you have, twice in the one post and you highlighted it.

17 hours ago, DarkMetalGeek said:

"First of all most of it's not even metal eg stuff like Spineshank or Paparoach or Deftones or Linkin fucking Park or whatever was alternative rock not metal based.  Even Korn doesn't really do metal music."

Please remember that some people may have a different taste in music. Moreover, Linkin fucking Park or Nightwish with its Symphonic Metal and it's slow Operatic bullshit brought a lot of metalheads on board that di

One last word.

Rest in peace Chester Bennington. The world is not the same without your fucking genius on it. Some people still remember and miss you.

Three times in fact

.You also dropped two bullshits, an asshole and an anus for the record

36 minutes ago, DarkMetalGeek said:

you all totally missed the point

If we ALL keep missing the point, maybe the problem is on your end Junior. While I applaud your effort to stand up for yourself here, most of what you wrote in this post didn't really make much sense. Not unlike your other post. Maybe it made more sense in your head before you typed it? Shouldn't type when you're angry. Maybe try again later after school once you've had time to calm down a bit.

6 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Been harassed by religious weirdos in public on several occasions for wearing band shirts

No one harasses Thatguy. Medicine is full of arseholes who will bully you but I was never bullied (and I never bullied anyone either). I'm big, male, white and self-confident and sometime you've got to make use of all the privilege you are heir to whether deserved or not.

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But he's still my best friend.

My best and oldest friend hasn't got a clue. We never talk about music but that's all good.

14 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

This is a metal forum where it would be expected that most of the people here joined to talk about metal. You're welcome to hang out and throw your two cents into the ring and maybe even learn something, who knows maybe you'll even run into someone who shares your taste in music. Stranger things have happened. But if the fact that most of us here hate nu-metal (or whatever the fuck Linkin Park is supposed to be) truly offends you, then maybe you shoud find a Linkin Park forum or join their fan club where you'll be surrounded by like-minded individuals who will love and praise their music and you'll feel right at home, snug as a bug in a rug.

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away I went on a band's forum. I cannot remember which one, it may have been Metallica. It was horrible and consisted primarily of "Metallica rulz!" on every topic. Forums where everyone agrees with each other seem the most pointless form of communication in history. 

20 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

No one harasses Thatguy. Medicine is full of arseholes who will bully you but I was never bullied (and I never bullied anyone either). I'm big, male, white and self-confident and sometime you've got to make use of all the privilege you are heir to whether deserved or not.

My best and oldest friend hasn't got a clue. We never talk about music but that's all good.

All in one day we've had Blivvie, Cabbage and Deadovic all relate past incidents of harassment by religious freaks. I wish some religious nuts would approach me because I'd love to get into it with them. Nothing gets me riled up like arguing with religious idiots. But none ever do.

I've never been bullied by MD's either and I'm not even sure what that would look like. Would they chase me down and corner me with their Beemers and threaten to take my blood pressure or strangle me with their stethoscopes or don the glove and give me a rectal exam?

Maybe try again later after school once you've had time to calm down a bit.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

most of what you wrote in this post didn't really make much sense

Perhaps its you who should get back to school to improve your reading comprehension abilities. you really need it.

2 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Three times in fact

.You also dropped two bullshits, an asshole and an anus for the record

2 times i QUOTED  another post. Sorry, I have not said that. The third one just illustrates the fact that any asshole can use the word "fuck" (Me included in assholes group).

But who knows... I am just a poor little girl that knows nothing about life.

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away I went on a band's forum. I cannot remember which one, it may have been Metallica. It was horrible and consisted primarily of "Metallica rulz!" on every topic

again, last try: this is not about everyone agreeing on music taste... it is about...  Nevermind.... I give up.

Never waste your time trying to explain yourself to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

I've never been bullied by MD's either and I'm not even sure what that would look like. 

Only time I've ever been really frustrated with a Dr. was during a stay after a near death experience and I asked this gastroenterologist to close the curtains on his way out so I could get some sleep, and he lectured me on the virtues of maintaining a consistent circadian rhythm. Like, I get it doc, but I just nearly died. I'm tired, and getting good sleep in the ICU is tough anyway. You can't do me a solid this once and close the curtains? 

Outside of that I think some people have some really stupid ideas about what your Dr. is supposed to do. Would it be nice to stroll into the clinic and say 'Hey, I've been having trouble sleeping. Could you write me up some Ambien"? Of course it would, but more importantly the Doc wants to save you and your health first and foremost and not enable any harmful habits you might develop. I value a doctor who's got the spine to tell me straight up "we're going to try and save you, but you've got to start doing some things differently from now on." than one who'll just write me up some free fun tickets to the pharmacy fair.

3 hours ago, DarkMetalGeek said:

Thank you Mr Professor for shedding light into the matter. Could you please now explain the difference between "hate" and "disrespect"?

You may like, not like or even hate it. But to me this is disrepectful. Sorry for not having a thick skin and sorry for throwing in my criticism that seems to be on a lower level than yours.

Seems your opinion is very important but I am not allowed to give mine.

Would you say the Nobel prize winners in literature are genius? I would say no and I may criticize the decission of the Price Jury. But I am never saying their work is "bullshit".

Thick skin and Gross language just reflects the cliche that Metalheads shall be badass, badboys or whatever rude guy role you choose for yourself. This is showing my hate for this kind of behavior.

Okay. Hate is a stronger more emphatic term. Disrespect casts doubt on the validity of an assertion, but doesn't imply an inherent disgust or indignation at the existence of the assertion. The two could be viewed as synonyms in certain contexts.

I never said you weren't allowed to give your opinion. The point was that we so often lionize the dead for the meager accomplishment of... well... being dead, but this shouldn't be the case. You see this effect in Hollywood sometimes to with actors like Heath Ledger and James Dean where people seem to think their death retroactively makes them this tortured prodigy even though any real analysis of their talent level proves them to be very narrowly skilled at best. If you took my comment about Chester's lack of talent being particularly evident on that insufferable Breaking The Habit song as disrespectful toward him, you would be correct. I afford him no respect, and I do not owe him any. If you took the comment as disrespectful towards you personally, you would be incorrect.

Given that the Nobel committee awarded the prize in the literature category to Bob Dylan I would say any amount of shit-flinging directed at them is well earned. The Nobel Prize in literature is an absolute joke and not a desirable accolade anymore. Hell, the Canadian equivalent prize in literature is more valid, and they gave that to a book about a crazy lady living in the woods fucking a bear.

Thick skin is not meant to reflect hypermasculine tough-guy posturing either. It's a way of being able to absorb and properly internalize antagonistic behaviors in such a fashion as to formulate a proper response without the interference of hurt feelings. These two things are not the same at all.

3 hours ago, DarkMetalGeek said:

That only reflects the label you all got stick so deep in your asshole that the crap inside you cannot properly flow and it comes out of your mouth as the shit you spit to everybody everytime you talk. The easier solution is to get rid of the labels in your anus. This is disrepect despite the fact I adorned it as a joke.

Right, internet police alert (and all the other amusing references we can think of to describe moderator intervention).  The quoted post here is not acceptable means to speak about another human being and based on some of their less angry posts they could do much better.  All typed in the past tense as I have had to ban them, so now we have one less angry person on our corner of the internet.

@Nasty_Cabbageset the benchmark for how to respond to angry folks on the internet and some of you might want to take note of this.

@JonoBlademade the most sensible post in the whole thread with his "Metallica rulz" post.

Rest of you, stop poking the angry (child) on the internet and lets all get on with our lives.

5 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

That’s kind of petty mate, let’s all move on please, and yes I’m far from blameless.

Well you see Blivvington, what happened was I had typed a response to someone who had quoted me, completey unaware of all the drama that was going on. And then I posted it, only to immediately rethink it when I saw what'd happened, because at that point I thought it better to let a dead horse lie. But there's no delete button here, my choices were: report, share, edit. So I edited my post and didn't want to just leave it blank, because blank posts are kinda weird. So at 7:20 am after being up all night I figured I should probably just say something brief and go to bed and that's what I came up with. I'm sure you would have been less pleased with the original post I had made in that slot.

Not sure what you mean by "blameless" though, I for one rather enjoyed all the various different discussions that took place on this thread yesterday. I do enjoy the What Are You Listening to Now thread quite a bit as you've probably surmised, but sometimes it can be fun to get into some actual stimulating conversations with my fellow forum members. Cabbage's story in particular about the "syncopated beats associated with Satan" when he was a young lad of just 9 years old I found quite interesting but also incredibly maddening. Imagine how twisted these church people must've been to go after a little kid for simply listening to rock oldies? That's fucking insane!! And this would have been roughly 1995, not back in the dark ages of the 1950's when it was commonly believed by normies in large swaths of this country that rock & roll was the work of Satan. 🙄 If something like that were ever to happen around my 9 year old I would be out of my mind with rage. I just hope someone close to me would be abe to calm me down and talk some sense into me before I went down to that school and did something stupid.