Jump to content
Sign in to stalk this  
Gomorrah

Favourite Nile Album

Recommended Posts

Probably Annihilation of the Wicked. Cast Down the Heretic might be one of the most intense opening tracks ever.
I remember listening to that for the first time and thinking HOLY SHIT! That was the first Nile album I listened to and I knew there and then that they were gonna be a good band. As for Black seeds, took me longer to get into that album, but now I love it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Annihilation had the most memorable tracks, so I'd have to say that's my favorite but Catacombs was something outta this world when it came out and I think did a LOT for the scene that was desperately in need of some fresh air at the time. Black Seeds took that a step further, but with tracks like Cast Down the Heretic and especially the title track Annihilation is an easy pick for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to go with a lot of others above me and say Annihilation of the Wicked. I swear I think I've listened to the first 30 seconds of their songs more than any other band, love the bad ass intros their songs especially on "Sacrifice Unto Sebek."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can't take the gratuitously gory and ridiculous lyrics of Cannibal Corpse and early Death, but really dig the musicianship of the same bands, then Annihilation of the Wicked is what you should turn to. Nile was awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does seem to be the popular choice. Honestly that, along with Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka, Black Seeds Of Vengeance, and In Their Darkened Shrines sort of represents all you can do with that sound in that context. Those Whom The Gods Detest was ok but the rest of their catalogue isn't worth hearing. New album is particularly disappointing given the impressive teasers for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I own three Nile c.ds: 'Black Seeds of Vengeance', 'In Their Darkened Shrines' and 'Ithyphallic' and I think I like 'Shrines' the most. The intros and general Egyptian theme of this band make them a lot of fun, but I can't say the music holds my attention for very long. In fact I think the only reason I have three of these albums is because I keep getting fooled by the Egyptian stuff hahaha. 

They have one of my favourite track titles of all time with 'Papyrus Containing the Spell to Preserve its Possessor Against Attacks from He who is in the Water' which is pure genius. 

Back in the day they were so hyped by the British press you would have thought they were the greatest band of all time. It would have been great to see them live though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Requiem said:

I think I own three Nile c.ds: 'Black Seeds of Vengeance', 'In Their Darkened Shrines' and 'Ithyphallic' and I think I like 'Shrines' the most. The intros and general Egyptian theme of this band make them a lot of fun, but I can't say the music holds my attention for very long. In fact I think the only reason I have three of these albums is because I keep getting fooled by the Egyptian stuff hahaha. 

They have one of my favourite track titles of all time with 'Papyrus Containing the Spell to Preserve its Possessor Against Attacks from He who is in the Water' which is pure genius. 

Back in the day they were so hyped by the British press you would have thought they were the greatest band of all time. It would have been great to see them live though. 

If you find yourself wanting to listen to them again, I'll second everyone else here who mentioned "Annihilation Of The Wicked" as their best album. But I agree, their music doesn't really hold up to the attention it requires, and their live show is no different in that regard. Kollias is the best thing about the band, hands down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

If you find yourself wanting to listen to them again, I'll second everyone else here who mentioned "Annihilation Of The Wicked" as their best album. But I agree, their music doesn't really hold up to the attention it requires, and their live show is no different in that regard. Kollias is the best thing about the band, hands down.

Buying a fourth Nile album... I don't think even Ramses II himself would need that many. 

My (infernal cleopatrean) wife and I had the good (mis)fortune to visit Egypt back in 2008. We crawled inside the pyramid of Khufu and studied the necro-hieroglyphics, learning arcane knowledge of ancient midnight rites. 

Undead tomfoolery aside, it was one of our best trips for sure. Amazing place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Buying a fourth Nile album... I don't think even Ramses II himself would need that many. 

My (infernal cleopatrean) wife and I had the good (mis)fortune to visit Egypt back in 2008. We crawled inside the pyramid of Khufu and studied the necro-hieroglyphics, learning arcane knowledge of ancient midnight rites. 

Undead tomfoolery aside, it was one of our best trips for sure. Amazing place.

Thoth thinks Nile is pretty boring. Anubis loves them and has a few t-shirts. Horus isn't a big death metal fan; Osiris used to dig them but lately they bring up painful memories. Isis thinks it's all "just a bunch of noise". Ra will admit to blasting "Black Seeds" on headphones sometimes as he pushes the sun across the sky, but only listens to them when he can zone out and get stuff done around the universe. Seth thinks of them as a guilty pleasure and doesn't bring them up in conversation. Personally, I'm with Thoth. But if you're a Ramses II guy, and you only need one, it should be "Annihilation Of The Wicked".

I would love to visit Egypt. Don't see myself going to that part of the world anytime soon, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Thoth thinks Nile is pretty boring. Anubis loves them and has a few t-shirts. Horus isn't a big death metal fan; Osiris used to dig them but lately they bring up painful memories. Isis thinks it's all "just a bunch of noise". Ra will admit to blasting "Black Seeds" on headphones sometimes as he pushes the sun across the sky, but only listens to them when he can zone out and get stuff done around the universe. Seth thinks of them as a guilty pleasure and doesn't bring them up in conversation. Personally, I'm with Thoth. But if you're a Ramses II guy, and you only need one, it should be "Annihilation Of The Wicked".

I would love to visit Egypt. Don't see myself going to that part of the world anytime soon, though.

Egyptian jokes: dry humour at its best. 

I hear Ra has awesome surround sand speakers.

Anubis tried to get the others to invest in property but they realised it was just a pyramid scheme.

It's so hot in Egypt, you always need Isis in your drinks. 

Etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/01/2017 at 8:09 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Pity laughs for Requiem, fine work as always FA. I do so enjoy this place.

Thank you. I thought all my efforts had gone to naught as the tumbleweeds blew past in this thread... I hate the idea that people were missing out on great humour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I haven't really paid much attention to Nile regarding their last couple of albums. 

I've got a soft spot for In Their Darkened Shrines. I really like the atmosphere on that album. 

I dig the slower songs on that album, it seemed like they embraced more of their doom influences there. I can even forgive them for stealing that Unas, Slayer of the Gods theme from Candlemass because it still sounds awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I dig the slower songs on that album, it seemed like they embraced more of their doom influences there. I can even forgive them for stealing that Unas, Slayer of the Gods theme from Candlemass because it still sounds awesome.

I agree. And it makes for a more interesting listen from start to finish. To me the slower songs bring out more of the Egyptian atmosphere. 

I didn't know that about Unas but I don't know a lot about Candlemass. I like what I've heard but I've only got their first album and I did listen to their second album once.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

I agree. And it makes for a more interesting listen from start to finish. To me the slower songs bring out more of the Egyptian atmosphere. 

I didn't know that about Unas but I don't know a lot about Candlemass. I like what I've heard but I've only got their first album and I did listen to their second album once.  

 

Compare for yourself, the main theme is basically identical to this one:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to stalk this  

  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
×