Official Industrial Metal Recommendations Thread

MikaelaSim

• 3 weeks later...

Re: best Industrail metal music recommendation Impera (album title could not be found)

) They're very hard to find otherwise so here's a link. Eisbrecher Neurotech (found them on this forum, actually!) ...and that's pretty much my industrial collection.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, it looks like some industrial metal recommendations were requested, aand I haven't done a video list here yet. I would have just responded to the same thread that everyone else has, but I think I would rather have the official recommendations thread for this section possess a title free of typographical errors. After this post is made, I'll move the other posts over and close the thread. Not sure why a super moderator can't change the title of the thread, but oh well.

Aborym - With No Human Intervention:

Aborym are an Italian industrial black metal band, and I'm sure that I've posted about them before, but it was probably in the black metal thread. These guys walk the line better than almost anyone, as opposed to just being a black metal band with industrial influences, this is a true fusion of the two sounds. It is professionally done too, nothing here sounds like a gimmick, and neither sound cheapens the other, they enhance each other. Top it off with some stellar vocals from none other than Attila Csihar of Mayhem and Tormentor fame and have a pretty killer album here.

The Amenta - Occasus

The Amenta is an Australian industrial death metal band that feels the need to play at some fairly insane speeds. The sound here is very aggressive and destructive, with the industrial elements giving it a mechanical feel (not in a bad way), in addition to an atmosphere that feels akin to a machine uprising against humanity. The vocals are a bit monotonous, but fit what the band is doing well, despite not being done in a style or tone that I would normally seek out in another format. Killer stuff overall, though their followup was a bit disappointing.

Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton

Anaal Nathrakh play a pretty extreme sound, comprised of industrial, black metal, and grindcore. They might not be quite as overtly industrial as some of the other bands on this list, but they do use programmed drums, processed vocals, samples, and plenty of keyboard melodies and effects that give their music a very post-apocalyptic vibe. Most people are familiar with their newer works, though I tend to prefer the older albums. After this album, Eschaton, they seemed to dumb down their sound a bit, with more breakdowns, less complexity, and less lively songwriting. For extreme industrial metal with a nasty dystopian vibe, look no further.

...And Oceans - A.M.G.O.D:

...And Oceans were always one of the weirder Finnish black metal bands, so when they shifted from a symphonic black metal sound to one infused with industrial and electronic music influences, I don't think anyone was really that surprised. This album can be shockingly upbeat at times, especially when those electronic passages hit, but there are still some great dark melodies and ferocity here, and I never feel like I'm out of place in a dance club when this comes on. The following album was slightly darker overall, but the songwriting was nowhere near as good, and the riffing especially seemed really dull and contrived by comparison. That could just be me too though, don't write it off just because of what I have to say. In any case, I would call for any fan of industrial metal and/or extreme metal to check out this album, AMGOD.

Anorexia Nervosa - Exile:

Anorexia Nervosa is best known for their symphonic black metal releases, but on their debut, they played some of the most bizarre industrial metal I have ever heard. The sound here is a pretty depraved one, with a very uncomfortable atmosphere, creepy vocals, and really discordant riffs from long before it was popular to do so. There is plenty of gothic influence here too, but in more of a Bauhaus way that something like Sisters of Mercy, with open, noisy sounding passages of moaned vocals and odd sounds. I can't think of anything else that sounds like this, and I'm glad that a friend bought this thinking it was going to be like their later work, only to pass it along to me because it was too weird for him. Get ready for something different.

Arcturus - The Sham Mirror:

Another band that I know that I have posted here a few times before, Arcturus is truly one of a kind. While they would best fit within avant-garde metal or progressive metal, the fact is that their sound, especially later on, contained a number of industrial elements and a futuristic feel that should strike a chord with fans of the genre. Electronic beats, spacey atmosphere, samples, drum machines, it's all here, and done in a way that sends chills down my spine each time I hear it. Please excuse my fanboy gushing, but this is one of my favorite albums ever, and everyone would do well to at least check it out for themselves to see what they think of one of metal's most unique entities.

Blut Aus Nord - MoRT::

That's right, another Blut Aus Nord video. I will not apologize for my blatant fan boy praises of this band, because I love everything I've heard from them. This band has always been an experimental one, and most of their "kvlt" internet bitch fans disowned them when they released this album despite knowing that they had been moving in this direction all along. Oh well, their loss. What we have here is crawling, despondent industrial/ambient metal, with minimal traces of traditional black metal remaining, but this may well be their most terrifying sounding album. The sound is dark and grimy, almost bringing to mind an abandoned waste treatment plant that the band's damned souls are haunting. It may not be for everyone, but you likely won't hear many bands that can make music this disturbing.

December Wolves - Blasterpiece Theatre:

I know that I've posted about December Wolves here before, but it was likely for their black/thrash album Completely Dehumanized. This album, the appropriately titled Blasterpiece Theatre, came next, and took their speed and aggression up to an even higher degree, in addition to incorporating industrial into their sound. All of the songs start with samples, the vocals are processed, and the songs are rife with industrial twists and turns between the savagery on display. These guys are in a class of their own, truly a band that never received the credit that they deserved, any fan of industrial metal or black metal should check this out posthaste.

Dødheimsgard - Supervillain Outcast:

Dødheimsgard is yet another black metal band that has transitioned their sound to an industrial black metal hybrid of the years, with this album Supervillain Outcast taking on a number of avant-garde metal traits as well. This is a very ambitious and adventurous album, with plenty of weird stuff going on to catch your ears. The playing is very technical, and the industrial elements are very well done here, enhancing the strange mechanical feel of the songwriting. I can't imagine fans of more straightforward music enjoying this much, but for those looking for something different, this album would do nicely.

Ewigkeit - Conspiritus:

Ewigkeit is a band that varies a great deal from the other bands that I have posted about here. As you may have noticed by now, I tend to prefer the more bizarre and/or extreme bands that fuse industrial and metal, and I guess Ewigkeit still qualifies as bizarre, but not overtly so. The music here would likely appeal more to fans of bands like Rammstein than to the more wild sounds that I've listed above, but something about the way that they compose their keyboard and vocal melodies gets to me in a way that I can't explain. Not my favorite album on the list or in my collection by a long shot, but I can throw it on sometimes and find it enjoyable. Its inclusion here is more to add some variety to the list, which up until now was mostly extreme metal driven.

• 1 month later...

I like Laibach. Trough years they became much more experimental, their sound is more post-industrial. Some of the songs are aggresive, some of them ambient. Sadly not all songs are awalable online but on old vinyl records. They are one of the bands that had big influence on others. Once when asked about Rammstein stealing from them, members of Laibach said that "they simply got inspired by their music and that Rammstein seem to be a kind of Laibach for adolescents and Laibach Rammstein for grown-ups".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MaxFaust said:

I find Author & Punisher to be a quite impressive one-man outfit, particularly because dude's an electrical engineer who designs and builds all his "instruments" (if you can even call it that) in his own metal workshop. 

Was this the guy that Noisy did a video about a few weeks ago?

13 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Wow, way to dig up an old thread. 

Yeah, that's the way of the internet, innit?

There will always be some wanker who comes along and wakes up dead threads, several years after everybody stopped talking about whatever was the original subject matter. Sometimes even wildly out of context. 

That being said, I'm fairly certain that I first came across Author & Punisher because of that right hand menu of "related videos" that they have on YouTube (which is fucking genius!!!) and that I was initially attracted to the name (I do a bit of writing myself), figuring that if you've got a name like that, how bad can the music be? I had my most "industrial" period in the 90s, but I still like that sort of thing, so I was quickly sifting through everything I could find on this guy ... including a short documentary thing where I learned about his day job (but I can't quite remember who/what posted it, sorry, I'm terrible with names like that). 

End product remains the same: I think that his music is awesome. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...