Are [insert band name here] metal?

satan 59

Hi Mecca - thanks for the reply! I find the more I think about this kind of thing - the more my head wants to explode! What is metal? What's the meaning of life? Who am I? Why am I here? :P
Bahaha, a philisophical metalhead I see! I have tried to define what metal is here.....but life? Out of my depth lol :)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Bieber - Certainly not. 2. Slipknot 3. Korn 4. P.O.D. 5. Avenged Sevenfold - Yes (Part of the nu-metal genre) 6. Linkin Park - Outside of a couple songs on the first album not really. Lou pretty much nailed it as more rock oriented. 7. System of a Down 8. Godsmack 9. Disturbed - Again, more nu-metal but yes part of the genre. 10. Rob Zombie- Horror rock/metal (for me i just throw him in with the rest of the nu-metal bands) 11. Rammstein - Industrial rock/metal As Blut pointed out, its all subjective. I know i used to frequent the metal archives forum and browse through their catalog of bands and they classify some bands as metal that arent (Rush) and others that i felt that should be but are not. Its all just upon one's interpretation.
Yeah it's so subjective and up to interpretation isn't it...I find it interesting how there are so many different positions one can adopt in relation to the same band! But I am really intrigued as to why you label A7X nu metal? Do you mean that in terms of their sound because I would hvae thought them more "hard rock" (if you were not to classify them metal). But thanks for commenting! \m/ecca

But I am really intrigued as to why you label A7X nu metal? Do you mean that in terms of their sound because I would hvae thought them more "hard rock" (if you were not to classify them metal).
Personally, i dont really care if someone wants to label them hard rock. Im not a fan at all of the band so if i had to truly label it i would label it "garbage". I think i rated an album of theirs in 2010 as a 0/10 and thats the only time thats ever happened in my album ratings. Either way, again they have similiar musical arrangements/style to other nu-metal acts for me. To me they are not much different than BFMV, Atreyu, etc. The list could go on and on. In the grand scheme of things it really doesnt matter what people want to list a lot of these bands as. I just dont listen to them often enough to care i guess. lol

Slipknot. Yes. Korn. I think no. P.O.D. Yes Avenged Sevenfold. I haven’t heard one of their songs. I have a live DVD of theirs, but I got bored at the main menu. Linkin Park. No. System of a Down. Definitely metal. Godsmack. No – hard rock. Disturbed. Yes, metal. Rob Zombie. Yes, metal Rammstein. Yes. I have a curly one, was Alice In Chains metal?

Personally, i dont really care if someone wants to label them hard rock. Im not a fan at all of the band so if i had to truly label it i would label it "garbage". I think i rated an album of theirs in 2010 as a 0/10 and thats the only time thats ever happened in my album ratings. Either way, again they have similiar musical arrangements/style to other nu-metal acts for me. To me they are not much different than BFMV, Atreyu, etc. The list could go on and on. In the grand scheme of things it really doesnt matter what people want to list a lot of these bands as. I just dont listen to them often enough to care i guess. lol
0/10, haha that's crack up. Yeah the labels don't matter in the grans scheme of things - I was just interested "academically" I guess you could say. I think I would confidently put BFMV up till Scream Aim Fire and ATreyu as definitive metalcore. The latest BFMV sounds like radio rock to me.

Slipknot. Yes. Korn. I think no. P.O.D. Yes Avenged Sevenfold. I haven’t heard one of their songs. I have a live DVD of theirs, but I got bored at the main menu. Linkin Park. No. System of a Down. Definitely metal. Godsmack. No – hard rock. Disturbed. Yes, metal. Rob Zombie. Yes, metal Rammstein. Yes. I have a curly one, was Alice In Chains metal?
No fans of A7X commenting I see haha. I see you are from NZ - have you been to any of the 8 Foot gigs of late? I'm pretty excited about their comeback

Hei, Mecca! I dunno if you've heard about them, but what would you think of Apulanta? They were born as a punk band (it's also been considered alternative rock and metal, that's why I ask about them), I think, but with time they've changed... I'd like you to have a look at them and tell me what you do think about. ;)

Hei' date=' Mecca! I dunno if you've heard about them, but what would you think of Apulanta? They were born as a punk band (it's also been considered alternative rock and metal, that's why I ask about them), I think, but with time they've changed... I'd like you to have a look at them and tell me what you do think about. ;)[/quote'] OK I will! I haven't heard of them but you have sparked my interest - must be a difficult one seeing as if you asked :)

P.O.D. Yes Rob Zombie. Yes, metal Rammstein. Yes.
POD definitely isn't metal. They barely qualify as hard rock. Ironically, their best song is actually nearly hip-hop, but at least it has lyrics that make sense. Rammstein is debatable. Some of their work is metal, other stuff is just rock. I don't listen to them so much because Eisbrecher is much heavier, but they aren't bad. Rob Zombie I spoke about somewhere else.
10 - Rob Zombie: [...] Soundless' date= emotionless, commercial, but sounded almost metal.

POD definitely isn't metal. They barely qualify as hard rock. Ironically, their best song is actually nearly hip-hop, but at least it has lyrics that make sense. Rammstein is debatable. Some of their work is metal, other stuff is just rock. I don't listen to them so much because Eisbrecher is much heavier, but they aren't bad. Rob Zombie I spoke about somewhere else. And that's more or less my opinion. Rob Zombie sounds like a metal band but really isn't at all. Even listening to his heavier stuff it's just very loud rock. Not really much more than that.
Thanks for your thoughts Iceni. Definitely interesting to see so many viewpoints out there...I guess this just shows it's all about interpretation and personal viewpoints.

Lets start with saying that all these bands you have in the first post are absolute crap, except for Rammstein, I enjoy some of their songs fore some reason. (Maybe its my half German heritage) Anyway if i consider any of them to be metal, to be honest i have avoided this thread because i dont really like to labeling things. Maybe alot of these bands belong in the ''nu-metal'' genre, which i know very little of since most of what i heard sound really bad. I have actually seen both System of a Down and Korn live on the local festival ''Metaltown'' just to hear them to make up my mind. Sure SOAD put on a show and really tried to be as fun as possible but they still were really bad. Korn was just crap. Metaltown probably considered them metal, By just booking them. anyone else seen these kind of bands on a ''Metal'' festival?? So do i consider any of these bands Metal. I think not. Its really difficult to say whats metal or not, but if if i go on just what i feel at this moment, none of them are.

Lets start with saying that all these bands you have in the first post are absolute crap, except for Rammstein, I enjoy some of their songs fore some reason. (Maybe its my half German heritage) Anyway if i consider any of them to be metal, to be honest i have avoided this thread because i dont really like to labeling things. Maybe alot of these bands belong in the ''nu-metal'' genre, which i know very little of since most of what i heard sound really bad. I have actually seen both System of a Down and Korn live on the local festival ''Metaltown'' just to hear them to make up my mind. Sure SOAD put on a show and really tried to be as fun as possible but they still were really bad. Korn was just crap. Metaltown probably considered them metal, By just booking them. anyone else seen these kind of bands on a ''Metal'' festival?? So do i consider any of these bands Metal. I think not. Its really difficult to say whats metal or not, but if if i go on just what i feel at this moment, none of them are.
Thanks for the comment Scullion. A lot of people are from the same school of thought as you regarding the labelling of genres (i.e. prefer not to label), so you are definitely not alone in that respect. Regarding your thoughts on the music, you are entitled to your opinion but I think that your thoughts would be given much more weight/consideration by others if you elaborated on why you think all those bands are crap (except for Rammstein).

Its just that almost all of these are not my type of music, If anyone likes them they are welcome to do so. There are different reasons why i dont like the bands you mentioned. Slipknot i wouldnt really mind if someone played in the background if i was not for their clean vocals which makes me think of the type of music the mainstream radio plays. And i dont really like their vocal style in the rest either when i think about it. Korn on the other hand are just really boring. To me, all of their songs sound the same, in different paces. And the singer, Have a really monotone voice. Making things so much more interesting... So next one, P.O.D, These ive never heard more than 30 sek. of so ill give it a try. Well, Rap aint my cup of tea, I cant even come up with a nice way of putting how awful i think it sounds in mayor. Linkin Park falls out on that one aswell, they have both that mainstream clean vocal type as Slipknot, and some kind of rap.... And a very generic guitar sound on that. Avenged Sevenfold,... Am i the only one who hear a small amount of power metal in their music? Every song i get the feeling ive heard it before, Again, Sooo generic. System of a Down is just to wierd, Im no really big fan of these breaks the have every 15th second either. Cant really explain, just get frustrated by just listening to it. Disturbed. I dont know, they just sound like Korn with a better singer. Rob Zombie. I listened to some of his music at a young age and searched his entire dicografy to find something really good because hes music sounded like he could have potential but i never found anything, it just got worse. I got a Rammstein cd in 98 which i listened to all the time, Sehnsucht. And the big difference from the other bands is really that they dont sound like a band I would hear from the radio on a bus on my way to work. At least not the older material, I admit i have not heard anything new from the last five years. They also have a much darker sound all together. Well, here are at least some thoughts on these bands. I even took time listening a bit on some of them just to get it clear which band was which. Hope someone get something out of this. Seems like i forgot Godsmack, I agree with some of the previous posters, they sound more like some kind of rock. Its really confusing when people use the term Hard rock, In Sweden it dont really have the same meaning.

Its just that almost all of these are not my type of music, If anyone likes them they are welcome to do so. There are different reasons why i dont like the bands you mentioned. Slipknot i wouldnt really mind if someone played in the background if i was not for their clean vocals which makes me think of the type of music the mainstream radio plays. And i dont really like their vocal style in the rest either when i think about it. Korn on the other hand are just really boring. To me, all of their songs sound the same, in different paces. And the singer, Have a really monotone voice. Making things so much more interesting... So next one, P.O.D, These ive never heard more than 30 sek. of so ill give it a try. Well, Rap aint my cup of tea, I cant even come up with a nice way of putting how awful i think it sounds in mayor. Linkin Park falls out on that one aswell, they have both that mainstream clean vocal type as Slipknot, and some kind of rap.... And a very generic guitar sound on that. Avenged Sevenfold,... Am i the only one who hear a small amount of power metal in their music? Every song i get the feeling ive heard it before, Again, Sooo generic. System of a Down is just to wierd, Im no really big fan of these breaks the have every 15th second either. Cant really explain, just get frustrated by just listening to it. Disturbed. I dont know, they just sound like Korn with a better singer. Rob Zombie. I listened to some of his music at a young age and searched his entire dicografy to find something really good because hes music sounded like he could have potential but i never found anything, it just got worse. I got a Rammstein cd in 98 which i listened to all the time, Sehnsucht. And the big difference from the other bands is really that they dont sound like a band I would hear from the radio on a bus on my way to work. At least not the older material, I admit i have not heard anything new from the last five years. They also have a much darker sound all together. Well, here are at least some thoughts on these bands. I even took time listening a bit on some of them just to get it clear which band was which. Hope someone get something out of this. Seems like i forgot Godsmack, I agree with some of the previous posters, they sound more like some kind of rock. Its really confusing when people use the term Hard rock, In Sweden it dont really have the same meaning.
Nice! That is a decent response lol :) It seems like many of the bands you don't like is due to the vocals (at least somewhat anyway). I also find that vocals can really "make or break" a band for me too, hence the reason why I took so long to start liking death metal and am still a little undecided about Black metal. I do like most death metal, but some bands I am still finding hard to 100% enjoy, such as Duing Fetus because the vocal style is just a bit too "weird" for me. But I really like Rammstein too - they have some great songs imo! Personally haven't heard the power metal in A7X, but that is most likely because I don't listen to them much - any song in particular you referring to or just in general? I am interested in what Hard Rock means in Sweden?

i don't think any of them are, because N00 Metal isnt metal for me :) what about; AC/DC UFO Thin Lizzy Blue Öyster Cult
I don't think any of them are metal, but the closest one would be AC/DC, and even that I consider just classic rock. What do you think?

Nice! That is a decent response lol :) It seems like many of the bands you don't like is due to the vocals (at least somewhat anyway). I also find that vocals can really "make or break" a band for me too, hence the reason why I took so long to start liking death metal and am still a little undecided about Black metal. I do like most death metal, but some bands I am still finding hard to 100% enjoy, such as Duing Fetus because the vocal style is just a bit too "weird" for me. But I really like Rammstein too - they have some great songs imo! Personally haven't heard the power metal in A7X, but that is most likely because I don't listen to them much - any song in particular you referring to or just in general? I am interested in what Hard Rock means in Sweden?
Yeah, there are a type of vocals mainstreamish bands and nu-metal bands use that i dislike with whole my heart. Yes mostly the vocals that makes it, Dying Fetus are among those Death Metal bands i cant stand either, That mostly just sounds like a collection of different grunts. I dont know what made me think of power meta, maybe there was something in the major arrangement of a song I randomly picked on youtube who gave me that idea. Well the term Hard Rock translated to swedish ''Hårdrock'' are frequently used by what one could call ''the common man'' as a collective term for all musik harder than rock. Including all metal. Metalfans dont really use it in the same way but its still there somewhere in your head.

In the description of metal it says, "highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness" with that yes I would agree that it is an extremely watered down description but however still all attributes of metal. With that I would say slipknot is more metal then not. I agree that slipknot would be considered a nu-metal band and has conformed to the more mainstream side of things whether that was their goal or not, but that does not automatically rule them out of having metal characteristics. But I would consider myself very bias towards this band because I am a maggot through and through and they are top on my list of most favorite bands but that aside I would consider them more metal then say P.O.D or Godsmack. Like I said I might be biased with my comment but I still gotta defend my favorite band.

In the description of metal it says' date=' "highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness" with that yes I would agree that it is an extremely watered down description but however still all attributes of metal. With that I would say slipknot is more metal then not. I agree that slipknot would be considered a nu-metal band and has conformed to the more mainstream side of things whether that was their goal or not, but that does not automatically rule them out of having metal characteristics. But I would consider myself very bias towards this band because I am a maggot through and through and they are top on my list of most favorite bands but that aside I would consider them more metal then say P.O.D or Godsmack. Like I said I might be biased with my comment but I still gotta defend my favorite band.[/quote'] Welcome Maggot! Yeah I think some of the bands I included in my post are not necessarily "metal" but definitely include "metal" characteristics. Whether they possess enough of the characteristics to make them "metal" is the point up for discussion. But yeah you make some good points :)