Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

NTNR

• 4 months later...

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

Top 10 albums of 1971: Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality Deep Purple - Fireball Budgie - Budgie UFO - UFO 2 Flying The Who - Who's Next Focus - Focus 2 Led Zeppelin - IV Hawkwind - In Search Of Space Jethro Tull - Aqualung Nazareth - Nazareth
Nice. I need to get more 70's albums... Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 2012: Aldebaran - Embracing the Lightless Depths: Captivating cavernous funeral doom, great melodies Anhedonist - Netherwards: Crushing and bleak doom/death, heavy, morose, and punishing Black Breath - Sentenced to Life: Awesome d-beat/Swedeath hybrid, fun, catchy, and savage Derketa - In Death We Meet: Raw doom/death, old songs given new life for this classic group Enslaved - RIITIIR: Less impressive than their last, this album still shows them riding high Evoken - Atra Mors - Masterful funeral doom/death, excellent songwriting, they continue to grow In the Company of Serpents - S/T: Swaggering stoner/sludge anthems, easily sticks in your head Napalm Death - Utilitarian: Pushing themselves to new heights, discordant grindcore supremacy Putrevore - Macabre Kingdom: Wretched old school sounding death metal, deep and hammering Wodensthrone - Curse: Fantastic pagan black metal, expansive and epic atmosphere I don't think I had enough new releases by the time 2012 ended to compile a top 10 list (not at all unusual for me), as I tend to focus on older material most of the time. However, the albums listed here were excellent additions to my collection. Definitely an amazing year for doom, with half of the titles being doom of some type or another, rounded out with some great death and black metal albums (and, of course, Enslaved, who are seldom absent from my best of lists). I definitely have more to explore from this year, just like any other, but I'm definitely happy with this list.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

I still don't really have enough albums from most years to compile a list with any real weight to it. I'll come back to this thread when I feel my contributions won't be mockeries of any particular year.
You did a couple of year lists on the last page that had some great albums on them. I just can't compile a top 10 list until I reach at least 10 titles, which is why I haven't done 2013 yet. Don't worry about what you've heard versus what is out there, it's still a valid opinion, and I would like to look back on these lists years later as I edit them to include new favorites. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Ok I'm going to have another crack at some of these. Starting by re-doing my lists for '88 and '95. RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1988 1. Coroner - Punishment For Decadence Still tops my list for this year. Outstanding technical thrash. Great riffs, solos, hostile vocals, this album has it all 2. Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death Vicious is the only word to describe this album. The vocals are nasty. The riffs are savage, the drums are furious. This album WILL make you headbang harder then you thought possible. 3. Death - Leprosy Still features high on my list. Far better then their debut. 4. Destruction - Release From Agony High quality German thrash. Great riffs, solos and drumwork. The vocals do grate a little bit but other then that it's hard to fault this record. 5. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime The last good Queensryche album. Top notch progressive metal. An album which must be listened to in full as each individual part is less impressive then the whole. 6. Crimson Glory - Transcendence Narrowly bumped out of fifth by Queensryche. Transcendence is a high quality prog/power metal offering featuring excellent vocals, exquisite melodies and memorable songs however I just don't feel it is as potent as Mindcrime. 7. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son Could have squeezed into my top five as well. An excellent concept. Well intergrated synthesized elements and strong melodies. Memorable songs but hurt by Bruce's deteriorating vocals. 8. Testament - The New Order Alex Skolnick and co. put in a fine showing with this record. melodic thrash is something which shouldn't work but in this case, as with The Legacy, it does. 9. Attacker - Second Coming The vocals become stale over time but this album is full of great riffs and some memorable choruses. Missed my first list because of those vocals however time has allowed me to appreciate it more. 10. Metallica - ...And Justice For All Almost a progressive thrash album. Picking that tenth spot was difficult given my low opinion of the few albums I had to choose from but I'm content with this one. So Helloween and Slayer both dropped from the list. A few albums moved around and Coroner still sits atop this peak.

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 albums of 1995 1. Ulver - Bergtatt Majestic black metal. A true triumph for the genre. Every element is simply perfect. 2. Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfornia Similar to Bergtatt this is a majestic piece of black metal perfection. 3. Anathema - The Silent Enigma Outstanding Doom/Death. A bleak atmosphere, tortured vocals and well composed songs make this essential for any doom fan. 4. Theatre Of Tragedy - Theatre Of Tragedy Another masterful example of Doom/Death. Atmosphere, atmosphere and more atmosphere. Great guitar work and well composed songs bring grief laced with ecstasy. 5. Dissection - Stom Of The Light's Bane More melodic black metal but without the same majesty as Hiems or Bergtatt. Nice riffs and well placed melody coupled with well executed shrieks make this album a must for BM fans 6. Nifelheim - Nifelheim Raw and nasty black thrash. You'll be banging your head in a hate filled frenzy to this album. 7. Paradise Lost - Draconian Times Doesn't rate as highly as it could given the strength of preceding albums but this excellent display of doom/death is still a must have for Paradise Lost fans or those who want their metal bleaker then a cemetary in winter. 8. Moonspell - Wolfheart Black metal tinged with gothic touches. This album can be unsettling at times. 9. Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black Extremely unlucky to feature so low in this list. This is a masterpiece of Greek black metal. It's sick, depraved and unashamedly evil black metal. 10. Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side A strong showing from Blind Guardian surpassed only by Nightfall In Middle Earth. That being said it does only feature because I couldn't find a suitable replacement. Still dominated by black metal but a few choice appearances from Doom metal masterpieces round this list out.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'll give it a go. None of my will be in any particular order. Os Abysmi Vel Daath's top albums of 1990: Bathory - Hammerheart Carnage - Dark Recollections Danzig - Danzig II: Lucifuge Paradise Lost - Lost Paradise Entombed - Left Hand Path Winter - Into Darkness Deicide - Deicide Death - Spiritual Healing Obituary - Cause of Death Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids 1990 A.D. Whew, this decade was tougher than I expected. I don't have nearly as many albums from '90 as I thought I did. I had to cheat a bit with the Hellhammer release. '91 will be quite a lot easier.

I'll give it a go. None of my will be in any particular order. Os Abysmi Vel Daath's top albums of 1990: Bathory - Hammerheart Carnage - Dark Recollections Danzig - Danzig II: Lucifuge Paradise Lost - Lost Paradise Entombed - Left Hand Path Winter - Into Darkness Deicide - Deicide Death - Spiritual Healing Obituary - Cause of Death Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids 1990 A.D. Whew, this decade was tougher than I expected. I don't have nearly as many albums from '90 as I thought I did. I had to cheat a bit with the Hellhammer release. '91 will be quite a lot easier.
Seriously? So many great albums were released in 1990 that I had a really tough time narrowing that year down to 10. It seems like that period from 1986-1996 was the most difficult for me in terms of the numerous of amazing releases to comb through, though some later years have presented that difficulty as well. Good list though, while I think only a couple were on my final list, I would count almost all of them as worthy of the honor.

1986: 1. Metallica- Master of Puppets 2. Metal Church- The Dark 3. Tesla- Mechanical Resonance 4. Hallows Eve- Death and Insanity 5. Megadeth- Peace Sells... But Who's Buying Honorable Mentions: Reign In Blood- Slayer, Turbo- Judas Priest, Game Over- Nuclear Assault, The Ultimate Sin- Ozzy, Look What the Cat Dragged In- Poison, Night Songs- Cinderella, Rock the Nations- Saxon, Who Made Who- AC/DC, Pleasure to Kill- Kreator

1986: 1. Metallica- Master of Puppets 2. Metal Church- The Dark 3. Tesla- Mechanical Resonance 4. Hallows Eve- Death and Insanity 5. Megadeth- Peace Sells... But Who's Buying Honorable Mentions: Reign In Blood- Slayer, Turbo- Judas Priest, Game Over- Nuclear Assault, The Ultimate Sin- Ozzy, Look What the Cat Dragged In- Poison, Night Songs- Cinderella, Rock the Nations- Saxon, Who Made Who- AC/DC, Pleasure to Kill- Kreator
Some odd choices here, much more glam oriented than I would have thought, but it looks like we had 2 albums in common for this year.

• 4 weeks later...

2014 (in random order) Emptiness - Nothing but the Whole Howls of Ebb - Vigils of the 3rd Eye Brood of Hatred - Skinless Agony Slugdge - Gastronomicon Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer I: Khem Sedjet Withered - Dualitas Doom:VS - Earthless Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise Serdce - Timelessness

2014 (in random order) Emptiness - Nothing but the Whole Howls of Ebb - Vigils of the 3rd Eye Brood of Hatred - Skinless Agony Slugdge - Gastronomicon Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer I: Khem Sedjet Withered - Dualitas Doom:VS - Earthless Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise Serdce - Timelessness
I finally grabbed some 2014 releases, but none of those are among them. I've seen a few of those on multiple top 10 lists, so I'll have to check them out. I might now have enough to make a top 10 list for 2013, because I have a very difficult time staying current.

I finally grabbed some 2014 releases' date=' but none of those are among them. I've seen a few of those on multiple top 10 lists, so I'll have to check them out. I might now have enough to make a top 10 list for 2013, because I have a very difficult time staying current.[/quote'] I actually had a tougher time narrowing them down than expected. There were more good releases than I had expected. My next top 10 will be 2013 as well, but because I can't really remember which albums were 2013, 2012 or 2011 for that matter, it will take a while. If you want to check out some 2014 releases, I can also recommend the new material of Kvalvaag, Schammasch, Nidsang, Inconcessus Lux Lucis, Aenaon and Phobocosm. Their releases may not be as popular as the new Triptykon and Behemoth and they haven't made it on my list, but all of them have made solid efforts the past year.

• 9 months later...

So, as promised, here we go

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1990

1. Bathory - Hammerheart

Epic, pioneering, unique there are many ways to describe this album. Hammerheart is quite simply a masterpiece. The first Viking Metal album and the standard to which all must be judged. Odin would be most pleased with this one.

2. Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy

Savage, technical, blistering death/thrash. Headbanging is a must.

3. Bolt Thrower - Warmaster

Relentless, remorseless, and unrepentant. This is a prime example of what the UK had to offer Death Metal. Listening to Bolt Thrower is like being run over by a tank except you can actually appreciate the awesomeness

4. Carcass - Symphonies Of Sickness

Nasty, just straight up nasty, goregrind perfection

5. Incubus - Beyond The Unknown

More incredible death/thrash. It really is a shame these guys only did two albums 'cause this is top notch shit right here.

6. Entombed - Left Hand Path

Chainsaw guitar tone, excellent songwriting, Entombed kicked off their career with a bang on this album and Swedish Death Metal did too.

7. Atrocity - Hallucinations

Sick, pounding, death metal need I say more?

8. Judas Priest - Painkiller

The eighties were mostly a weaker point after Priest's glorious seventies works. Painkiller represented a new direction for the Metal Gods. Heavier then ever, with Rob's soaring vocals on full display, Sit back and enjoy the show...the title track alone is worth your price of admission.

9. Death - Spiritual Healing

Death unleash this monster unto the world when Death Metal is just beginning to explode. You can already tell the direction they're heading in. Spiritual Healing is less thrash based and more technical then the previous two albums but boy does it pack a punch. Chuck really could do no wrong.

10. Darkthrone - Soulside Journey

What a great album. Everyone knows Darkthrone as one of the pioneers behind Norwegian Black Metal. Well they also mastered death metal with this masterpiece. Outstanding musicianship, great songwriting, riffs for days what's not to love about Soulside Journey.

Fuck me what a hard list to make. Some of my favourite albums didn't make the final cut. Death metal absolutely dominated this list.

Might as well do another one

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1991

1. Type O Negative - Slow, Deep, and Hard

What a debut  from the gothic/doom kings. The satanic cicada guitar tone, Pete's pissed off hardcore inspired vocals, brilliant lyrics this one has it all.

2. Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten

The one that started it all. This is brutal death metal through and through. Crushingly heaven - heavier then anything at the time, and memorable. Brutal done right.

3. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick

How do you follow up one of the best death metal albums of all time? By doing it all over again. It's not Altars II though this is a unique and heinous entity.

4. Cathedral - Forest Of Equilibrium

This is possibly the heaviest album ever recorded. It's absolutely crushing. One of the earliest doom/death albums and easily among the best.

5. Paradise Lost - Gothic

It's not hard to see why this album is toted among doom metal's crowning achievements. Heavy, bleak, gothic (surprisingly enough) tinged doom/death need I say more?

6. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

Spazzy, jazzy, technical death metal. Atheist may not have been as heavy as many of their peers but they could certainly outplay them. No pointless wankery here just great songwriting and great songs.

7. Overkill - Horrorscope

This was Overkill transitioning into their groove metal period. It's still thrash but more mid-tempo passages abound. That's hardly a bad thing though. Horrorscope will still snap your neck if you let it like all great thrash albums. It sets Overkill apart though as a prime example of how you add grooviness to your music without losing the potency.

8. Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream

This epitomises the Swedish Death Metal sound. It's sick, heavy, memorable and nearly perfect.

9. Bathory - Twilight Of The Gods

Hammerheart was epic, majestic, and brilliant. Twilight Of The Gods takes that sound and ramps it up to 11. Huge songs, triumphant atmosphere, epic songwriting, Bathory kept topping themselves with those first six records and we end up with masterpieces like this as a result.

10. Master's Hammer - Ritual

Cold, melodic, sinister and memorable black metal. It's hard to pull that off period. Doing so on your debut is an incredible accomplishment. Throw in the unique and truly sick raspy vocals and the result is well perfection really.

Another year of incredible albums. Once again some favourites didn't make the final cut. A strong death metal presence yet again but more varied albums this time around.

So, as promised, here we go

RelentlessOblivion's Top 10 Albums of 1990

1. Bathory - Hammerheart

Epic, pioneering, unique there are many ways to describe this album. Hammerheart is quite simply a masterpiece. The first Viking Metal album and the standard to which all must be judged. Odin would be most pleased with this one.

2. Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy

Savage, technical, blistering death/thrash. Headbanging is a must.

3. Bolt Thrower - Warmaster

Relentless, remorseless, and unrepentant. This is a prime example of what the UK had to offer Death Metal. Listening to Bolt Thrower is like being run over by a tank except you can actually appreciate the awesomeness

4. Carcass - Symphonies Of Sickness

Nasty, just straight up nasty, goregrind perfection

5. Incubus - Beyond The Unknown

More incredible death/thrash. It really is a shame these guys only did two albums 'cause this is top notch shit right here.

6. Entombed - Left Hand Path

Chainsaw guitar tone, excellent songwriting, Entombed kicked off their career with a bang on this album and Swedish Death Metal did too.

7. Atrocity - Hallucinations

Sick, pounding, death metal need I say more?

8. Judas Priest - Painkiller

The eighties were mostly a weaker point after Priest's glorious seventies works. Painkiller represented a new direction for the Metal Gods. Heavier then ever, with Rob's soaring vocals on full display, Sit back and enjoy the show...the title track alone is worth your price of admission.

9. Death - Spiritual Healing

Death unleash this monster unto the world when Death Metal is just beginning to explode. You can already tell the direction they're heading in. Spiritual Healing is less thrash based and more technical then the previous two albums but boy does it pack a punch. Chuck really could do no wrong.

10. Darkthrone - Soulside Journey

What a great album. Everyone knows Darkthrone as one of the pioneers behind Norwegian Black Metal. Well they also mastered death metal with this masterpiece. Outstanding musicianship, great songwriting, riffs for days what's not to love about Soulside Journey.

Fuck me what a hard list to make. Some of my favourite albums didn't make the final cut. Death metal absolutely dominated this list.

Not that it makes a huge difference, it's just my nitpicky side talking, but you should check the dates on those Carcass, Bolt Thrower, and Darkthrone albums... Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk