Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

NTNR

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 2009: 1349: Revelations of the Black Flame - Often hated and misunderstood, I loved this black/ambient album Absu: Absu - Progressive black/thrash, more controlled than before, but more inventive and diverse Ahab: The Divinity of Oceans - Gripping funeral doom, cleaner than the debut, but more atmospheric Artillery: When Death Comes - Great modern thrash from an established band, melodic vocals and cool riffs Blut Aus Nord: Memoria Vetusta II - A return to the old sound, but with traces of the new, masterful Shining: VI Klagopsalmer - Haunting, claustrophobic, and depressing black metal, with more variety Skitliv: Skandinavisk Misantropi - Pain filled and drawn out black/doom metal, tortured and tormented Stabat Mater: Stabat Mater - Evil, dark, and oppressive blackened funeral doom, ominous and creepy Vektor: Black Future - Awesome progressive sci-fi thrash, fast, technical, and with massive song structures Vreid: Milorg - Somewhat rockish black metal, very sincere, well written, and properly executed This feels like a weaker year than last year, probably because of its inconsistency. Some of these albums shouldn't have made this top 10 list, but I'm pretty sure 2009 was the year I decided to focus on picking up old stuff and many new releases were ignored. There are a few great albums here, but I'm sure there are better ones out there than some of the others on this list.

Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year Top 10 Albums of 1986: 1.Motörhead: Orgasmatron 2.Onslaught: The Force 3.Judas Priest: Ram It Down 4.Iron Maiden: Somewhere In Time 5.Exumer: Possessed By Fire 6.Megadeth: Peace Sells 7.Slayer: Reign In Blood 8.Kreator: Pleasure To Kill 9.Metallica: Master Of Puppets 10.Anthrax: Among The Living

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

I still don't have enough to make a top ten list from any particular year and any such attempt would be easily crushed by even the least consistent of your lists
You have to start somewhere, if I had done these lists a couple of years ago and looked at them now, I would be surprised at what I put down and how much stuff I was missing back then. I'm sure the same thing will happen when I do these again in a couple of years too, as you make more acquisitions you have more stuff to choose from, and your tastes will probably change, so why not give it a shot? I'm sure you've got enough albums from the 80's that you could at least do those years. As soon as I'm done with 2010 and 2011 I'll be doing my 80's lists as well.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 2010: Deathspell Omega: Paracletus - Less insane and more streamlined, but still a chaotic and nightmarish album Enslaved: Axioma Ethica Odini - Another reinventing of their sound, absolutely fantastic as always Father Befouled: Morbid Destitution of Covenant - Well done old school death metal, dark and evil sounds Hour of 13: The Ritualist - Awesome old school doom metal, great vocals, songwriting, and riffs Ihsahn: After - More progressive and original, awesome songs and great saxophone incorporation Immolation: Majesty and Decay - More amazing death metal from this excellent institution Overkill: Ironbound - Huge comeback for the veterans, their best album in 20 years, sharp and vicious The Royal Arch Blaspheme: The Royal Arch Blaspheme - Filthy, grimy, and downright nasty black metal Triptykon: Eparistera Daimones - Massive black/doom album, engrossing, heavy, and very powerful Weapon: From the Devil's Tomb - Eastern flavored black/death metal, original and perfectly executed As I mentioned on the 2009 list, I was still pretty much buying older albums at this point, most of these 2010 albums I bought after the year had ended. As a result, I didn't have much to choose from, but I'm still happy with how this list turned out, as the few that I did have turned out to be strong, great albums. Good stuff from some veterans that have been on my lists before, and also some newer bands that I have high hopes for.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 2011: 40 Watt Sun: The Inside Room - Emotive and sprawling doom metal, moody and mellow, but still heavy Deceased: Surreal Overdose - Perfect death/thrash, everything is extremely well written and executed Flourishing: The Sum of All Fossils - Intense post-hardcore/tech-death hybrid, dissonant and chaotic Inquisition: Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm - Epic and entrancing black metal Loss: Despond - Deep, dark, melodic, and heavy doom/death, crushing and depressing atmosphere Mitochondrion: Parasignosis - Insane technical black/death metal, suffocating, murky, and creepy Mournful Congregation: The Book of Kings - Amazing funeral doom, massive songs and atmosphere Negative Plane: Stained Glass Revelations - Old school black metal with a psychedelic twist, gripping Taake: Noregs Vaapen - More excellent Norwegian black metal done the right way Vektor: Outer Isolation - Streamlined and concise, but still great, almost as good as Black Future I'm really happy with how this year turned out, and I haven't even scratched the surface as to what other great albums came out last year. It seems like metal in general is on an upswing right now, lots of original and great stuff happening, despite some of the more banal retro trends that still remain popular. Even with how great this list is already, I'd bet that when I revisit it in a few years it will get even better.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1980: Angel Witch: Angel Witch - Heavier and darker than many of their NWOBHM contemporaries, cool stuff Black Sabbath: Heaven and Hell - First Dio album is more upbeat and melodic, but it's a great combination Cirith Ungol: Frost and Fire - Groovy, rocking, 70's flavored heavy metal with screeching vocals Diamond Head: Lightning To the Nations - Awesome riffs and great song writing, classic NWOBHM Iron Maiden: Iron Maiden - Maiden's rawest, but still possesses the huge melodies and bombastic choruses Judas Priest: British Steel - Really only worth it for a couple of good songs like Rapid Fire, filler Motorhead: Ace of Spades - One of Motorhead's best, fast, meaty, ass kicking heavy metal all the way Saxon: Wheels of Steel - Another NWOBHM classic, basic, but effective parts and super catchy songs Saxon: Strong Arm of the Law - Catchier, faster, and heavier than the prior album, my favorite Saxon album Man, I couldn't even make a top 10 list for this year, only a top 9, with British Steel only there because there's nothing to replace it with. England is the obvious winner here, with all but one band hailing from their shores, but I'm realizing now just how much I need to expand my early 80's stuff, and I'm about worried about 1981 too.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year In all fairness, Angel Witch has yet to make a bad album. They just write great metal. Iron Maiden got a lot better after the s/t. Killers blows it out of the water in every way. Diamond Head suck. :) Judas Priest delivered a decent offering. You know my feelings on the rest. Saxon is really hit or miss. I didn't care for much of Wheels of Steel, but I've been meaning to give it another chance.

Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

In all fairness' date=' Angel Witch has yet to make a bad album. They just write great metal. Iron Maiden got a lot better after the s/t. Killers blows it out of the water in every way. Diamond Head suck. :) Judas Priest delivered a decent offering. You know my feelings on the rest. Saxon is really hit or miss. I didn't care for much of Wheels of Steel, but I've been meaning to give it another chance.[/quote'] Talkin' bout' mah wheels of steel!

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1981: Iron Maiden: Killers - Maiden's best, catchy songs, Di'Anno's best vocals, and the riffs and melodies rule Raven: Rock Until You Drop - Fun and fast paced NWOBHM, tons of energy and excitement on this album Riot: Fire Down Under - Fantastic US heavy/speed metal, our answer to Judas Priest is amazing Venom: Welcome to Hell - The birth of black metal, raw, nasty, and absolutely fucking awesome Well, this is both a happy and a sad list. On the positive side, the 4 albums I've listed are among my favorite metal albums ever, but the obvious negative is that THERE ARE ONLY 4 FUCKING ALBUMS ON MY TOP 10 LIST THIS YEAR! It's becoming glaringly apparent what era in metal I need to devote more of my attention to, as not only are there plenty of slots to fill, but if they're as good as the ones above it could turn out to be one of my favorite years in metal. If nothing else, this should be a cue to Murph that he can do these lists too, he can't possibly be as embarrassed as I am with my list.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1982: Accept: Restless and Wild - The template for German heavy metal, basic, but heavy and exciting Discharge: Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing - Insanely influential crust punk Iron Maiden: The Number of the Beast - A step down overall, but Bruce's debut with the band is still great Judas Priest: Screaming For Vengeance - One of their better 80's albums, but still not that great Manowar: Battle Hymns - Manowar's least epic and most traditional album, rocking, fun heavy metal Mercyful Fate: Nuns Have No Fun - Dark old school black metal, King and crew at their most raw and evil Queensryche: Queensryche - Very Iron Maiden inspired debut, but it's one of their best Venom: Black Metal - Not quite as frenzied or rough as the debut, but still vicious early black metal Well, I was trying to avoid including EP's, but both are excellent additions to the list, and I sort of needed them to help increase the count. I think 1983 will be a bit easier to complete, and hopefully the quality will stay nice and high like it has been. Another great set of albums though, even if I still didn't make it to 10 of them, with Judas Priest again being the only real weak link.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1983: Dio: Holy Diver - Dio kicks off his solo career in style, awesome melodic metal Iron Maiden: Piece of Mind - A more melodic and less exciting Maiden, but the songs are still catchy Jag Panzer: Tyrants - Solid US styled heavy metal, really just a taste for what was to come the year after Manowar: Into Glory Ride - A more epic, but still rocking Manowar delivers my favorite album of theirs Mercyful Fate: Melissa - Black metal masterpiece, dark and evil, but and full of excellent riffs and songs Metallica: Kill 'Em All - The first thrash album is also Metallica's best, I prefer the rawness of this album Satan: Court In the Act - Fast and furious NWOBHM, excellent vocals and melodies, one of the best Savage: Loose 'N' Lethal - Ripping NWOBHM, huge guitar tone and presence and bombastic compositions Savatage: Sirens - US heavy metal classic, very heavy for the time, definitely their best album Slayer: Show No Mercy - The mighty Slayer debuts extremely well, melodic, but also sick and vicious Another year with an EP in the ranks, as well as a release I would prefer not to have there (Piece of Mind). However, some of the best NWOBHM, thrash, black, and heavy metal releases ever are also on this list. Even though these last few years have been incomplete for me, it's clear that the 80's were still the best time for heavy metal.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1984: Bathory: Bathory - Raw and savage early black metal, extremely influential musically and vocally Helstar: Burning Star - Great US heavy metal album, excellent composition, execution, and vocals Jag Panzer: Ample Destruction - Balls out heavy metal madness, everything turned up to 11 and ass kicking Judas Priest: Defenders of the Faith - Priest brings back the speed with awesome results, one of their best Mercyful Fate: Don't Break the Oath - A bit more refined, but still dark and evil with King's unique vocals Metal Church: Metal Church - Heavy power/thrash debut here, as catchy as it is vicious and ruthless Metallica: Ride the Lightning - Faster, but also more melodic, and with bigger scope in songwriting Trouble: Psalm 9 - Doom metal classic, one of the best in the genre to this day, and also totally original Venom: At War With Satan - Venom gets epic, but it actually worked out pretty well, the title track is huge Voivod: War and Pain - Filthy punk/thrash metal, sloppy, chaotic, and yet extremely enjoyable This year was even better than the last few, with everything cranking up the intensity from more formative sounds. As good as this list was, it really pained me not to have any EP's on it, as it means stuff that's totally deserving like Sentence of Death, In the Sign of Evil, and Morbid Tales were not included. Had they been here, this list would definitely be leaning to a much darker and heavier side of metal that will be filling up my lists for the next few years after this, so I guess it's good that the classic sounds have another year to shine.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1985: Blitzkrieg: A Time of Changes - NWOBHM that was late to release and album, but it's still great Celtic Frost: To Mega Therion - Most influential extreme metal album ever, heavy, dark, and twisted Exodus: Bonded By Blood - Colossal debut for the thrash titans, upping the brutality with insane riffs Fates Warning: The Spectre Within - Expansive, original, and exceptionally written progressive heavy metal Overkill: Feel the Fire - Raw heavy metal influenced thrash debut, but it's infectiously catchy and fun Possessed: Seven Churches - Pioneering first death metal album, evil, crazy and monstrous sounding Slayer: Hell Awaits - Slayer's darkest and most evil album, absolutely savage, my favorite Slayer album S.O.D.: Speak English or Die - Fast and brutal crossover thrash, great irreverent lyrics and speedy playing Watchtower: Energetic Disassembly - Fantastic technical thrash, complex songs, riffs, and shrieked vocals Whiplash: Power and Pain - Nasty speed/thrash album, very raw, fast, and rotten sounding album The 80's just keep getting better, with many great new bands debuting extremely well and some older ones hitting their strides. This list is definitely dominated by thrash, with only a couple of exceptions, which will probably remain the case for the rest of the 80's. I had a really hard time with a few of the cuts this year, there were way too many great albums to choose from, I almost would prefer doing a top 15 or top 20 list for this year. I have a feeling that this will be a problem for me throughout the rest of the 80's as well, as thrash metal really gets into full swing.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1986: Candlemass: Epicus Doomicus Metallicus - Doom metal masterpiece, heavy, epic, and dark album Crimson Glory: Crimson Glory - Awesome progressive heavy metal with very high pitched vocals Cryptic Slaughter: Convicted - Raw and sloppy crossover thrash, chaotic, rough, and very fast paced Dark Angel: Darkness Descends - Brutal thrash masterpiece, punishing riffing and devastating songs Deathrow: Riders of Doom - Great old German thrash, typical sound for the period, but very well executed Destruction: Release From Agony - Complex and creative, but still very aggressive German thrash metal Fates Warning: Awaken the Guardian - A deeper and more technical, yet less melodic effort, still awesome King Diamond: Fatal Portrait - King's first solo album is spooky, dramatic, and powerful heavy metal Kreator: Pleasure to Kill - Ripping German thrash, one of the most vicious albums recorded in the genre Nuclear Assault: Game Over - Fast and somewhat punky NY thrash, fast paced and highly enjoyable album It looks like thrash was the winner yet again this year, but one of doom metal's best albums and a few great heavy metal releases prevented it from taking the cake altogether. The more savage thrash sounds are definitely better represented than the more popular and melodic bands of the time, with the majority of the bands here showcasing either the German sound, or a heavier brand of various US sounds. Another great year to be sure, but I think the last 3 years of the 80's will prove to be the best.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1987: Bathory: Under the Sign of the Black Mark - Black metal masterpiece, Bathory's darkest and best album Candlemass: Nightfall - Two in a row for Candlemass, Messiah's vocals work well with their epic doom sound Celtic Frost: Into the Pandemonium - Avant-garde and bizarre, absolutely groundbreaking and strange Coroner: R.I.P. - Strong start for these tech-thrash titans, twisted riffs and excellent musicianship King Diamond: Abigail - Horror heavy metal awesomeness, grandiose, theatrical, and consuming Overkill: Taking Over - Overkill pick up the speed and aggression, but sacrifice none of their catchiness Pentagram: Day of Reckoning - Awesome old school doom metal, great vocals, songs, and atmosphere Sepultura: Schizophrenia - Insane and brutal thrash album, completely overwhelming riffs and songs Sodom: Persecution Mania - Sodom adopt a more thrashy sound with great results, but it still sounds nasty Voivod: Killing Technology - Excellent and original progressive thrash metal, sci-fi atmosphere and lyrics Yep, another great year here for all kinds of metal. Many bands here are hitting their peak, or at least having some of the strongest showings of their career. Thrash is still the best represented, and it's definitely at its strongest right now, despite tough competition from some great doom, black, and heavy metal. There were some pioneering death metal albums this year, but they just weren't good enough to beat out the other releases here. My bet is that thrash will reign supreme again next year, as some of the genres best and most brutal albums were released in 1988, but there are a bunch of extreme metal classics in 1989 that will probably overwhelm the thrash releases at the end of the 80's.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1988: Bathory: Blood Fire Death - Bathory's fastest album, increased intensity and scope, though less dark Coroner: Punishment For Decadence - My favorite thrash album, technical, savage, and extremely powerful Crimson Glory: Transcendence - Best power/prog release ever, amazing vocals and excellent playing Destruction: Release From Agony - Destruction's most complex, German thrash at its best, thrash til death! Exodus: Fabulous Disaster - Varied and original thrash assault, unique sense of pacing and accents Morbid Saint: Spectrum of Death - Most vicious thrash album ever, fast, venomous, and fucking merciless Nuclear Assault: Survive - NY thrash masterpiece, melodic vocals and solos over amazing fast paced songs Razor: Violent Restitution - Another brutal thrash gem, unrelenting Canadian assault on everything Sadus: Illusions - High speed and intense thrash metal, killing any posers that cross its violent path Voivod: Dimension Hatross - Progressive and deep thrash metal, one of this band's best albums Well, it looks like I guessed correctly, this was thrash's most dominating year IMO, and one of the best years in metal. The quality of the albums I ended up cutting in favor of how great many of these others were was mind boggling, as my top 11-20 list for this year would probably beat out many of the other 80's lists I made. There were certainly amazing releases this year across many other genres, from grindcore to doom to heavy metal, but with thrash being this unstoppable this year, I think I have plenty of justification for their omission.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

no Megadeth yet' date=' and a distinct absence of Maiden for a while now, interesting[/quote'] No Anthrax either, there was just always better stuff during the years that those bands released albums. Seventh Son was in the running for 88, but thrash beat out almost everything else that year. When I have more 83 albums in my collection, I have a distinct feeling that Piece of Mind will be left out of the best of list as well, leaving only the first 3 Maiden albums in my top 10 lists.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1989: Carcass: Symphonies of Sickness - Sick and brutal gore/grind, insanely heavy, pulverizing, and destructive Godflesh: Streetcleaner - Monolithic, heavy, bleak, and entrancing, the absolute best of industrial metal Helstar: Nosferatu - Masterful power/speed metal, sleek, professional, and perfectly executed on all fronts King Diamond: Conspiracy - The King's best, gripping story, amazing songwriting, and all around powerful Morbid Angel: Altars of Madness - My favorite death metal album bar none, genre defining masterpiece Pestilence: Consuming Impulse - My second favorite death metal album, insane, punishing, and grotesque Repulsion: Horrified - Pioneering grindcore, some of the best riffs and songwriting the genre produced Sabbat: Dreamweaver - This thrash masterpiece overdoses you with riffs, continuously kicking your ass Terrorizer: World Downfall - One of the heaviest, best, and most intense grindcore albums ever released Voivod: Nothingface - Progressive perfection, all characteristics refined to expert levels here Wow, this list definitely closes out the 80's with style. This is probably one of my favorite sets of albums occupying a top 10 list for any year, everything listed here is definitely among some of the greatest metal works ever. This was a huge year for extreme metal, beating out some admittedly fantastic thrash albums (Agent Orange, Beneath the Remains, etc...), and many great extreme metal albums were also left off due to the shortage of space here. This is easily grindcore's biggest showing as well, with the 3 albums listed being my absolute favorites from that entire genre, and they're all from the same year. All around top notch year.