Sign in to stalk this  
NTNR

Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year

Your Ad Here
Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Decade Top 10 of 1990: 1. Judas Priest - Painkiller 2. Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying 3. Trouble - Trouble 4. Paradise Lost - Lost Paradise 5. Atrocity - Hallucinations 6. Megadeth - Rust In Peace 7. Annihilator - Never, Neverland 8. Anthrax - Persistence Of Time 9. Death - Spiritual Healing 10. Queensryche - Empire

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Decade How strange, of all the Maiden albums I just listened to No Prayer for the Dying today (Mother Russia is my favourite Maiden song 8-) ! I'll have a go at best albums of the noughties (in no particular order): 1: Iron Maiden - Brave New World 2: Leaves' Eyes - Vinland Saga 3: Leaves' Eyes - Njord 4: Epica - The Divine Conspiracy 5: Disturbed - Indestructible 6: Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake (there, I bet that surprised you! ;) ) 7: Trivium - The Crusade 8: Nightwish - Century Child 9: Slipknot - All Hope is Gone 10: Within Temptation - The Heart of Everything Wow, this is a great idea NTNR - a great way to see everyones musical tastes!

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Decade

How strange, of all the Maiden albums I just listened to No Prayer for the Dying today (Mother Russia is my favourite Maiden song 8-) ! Wow, this is a great idea NTNR - a great way to see everyones musical tastes!
It's a very underrated song from a very underrated album. I thought it could be a fun thread. 1991 1. Paradise Lost - Gothic 2. My Dying Bride - Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium 3. Death - Human 4. Malevolent Creation - The Ten Commandments 5. Cancer - To The Gory End 6. Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium 7. Dismember - Like An Ever-Flowing Stream 8. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick 9. Carcass - Necroticsm -- Descanting The Insalubrious 10. Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth

1991 1. Paradise Lost - Gothic 2. My Dying Bride - Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium 3. Death - Human 4. Malevolent Creation - The Ten Commandments 5. Cancer - To The Gory End 6. Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium 7. Dismember - Like An Ever-Flowing Stream 8. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick 9. Carcass - Necroticsm -- Descanting The Insalubrious 10. Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth
Man I'm still a Metal ignoramus :lol: ! I've been into metal for about two years now but I haven't even heard of any of these bands :oops: !

Man I'm still a Metal ignoramus :lol: ! I've been into metal for about two years now but I haven't even heard of any of these bands :oops: !
Any one is worth your time I promise. This list is basically just Doom/Death and Death Metal but prime examples of each style.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Decade Excellent idea for a thread, but I think explanation for each album as to why a poster included it would be interesting. :idea: I suppose I'm just used to Metal-Archives where discussion is alive and well. As for myself, I won't be as quick to put a list together because it would take some serious thought. I find these things tough, especially ranking beacuse of the sheer number of albums that are released every year. And some years have a number of excellent records.

Excellent idea for a thread, but I think explanation for each album as to why a poster included it would be interesting. :idea: I suppose I'm just used to Metal-Archives where discussion is alive and well. As for myself, I won't be as quick to put a list together because it would take some serious thought. I find these things tough, especially ranking beacuse of the sheer number of albums that are released every year. And some years have a number of excellent records.
I've been going over mine for a few days now starting back from 1980 going forward. I'll eventually start working on a 1970's and up but I have a lot to listen to first. As far as the reasons for why I put the bands where they are, it's mostly based on if I think they were a great album or not. Sometimes I'm biased but over all I try to be objective.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Decade Shouldn't the title of this thread then be "Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year"? Based on your thread title, I thought this would be something like "The best 10 albums from 1980-1989", but that would be a much more difficult undertaking.

Shouldn't the title of this thread then be "Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year"? Based on your thread title' date=' I thought this would be something like "The best 10 albums from 1980-1989", but that would be a much more difficult undertaking.[/quote'] Perhaps. Regardless you must participate!

How strange, of all the Maiden albums I just listened to No Prayer for the Dying today (Mother Russia is my favourite Maiden song 8-) ! I'll have a go at best albums of the noughties (in no particular order): 1: Iron Maiden - Brave New World 2: Leaves' Eyes - Vinland Saga 3: Leaves' Eyes - Njord 4: Epica - The Divine Conspiracy 5: Disturbed - Indestructible 6: Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake (there, I bet that surprised you! ;) ) 7: Trivium - The Crusade 8: Nightwish - Century Child 9: Slipknot - All Hope is Gone 10: Within Temptation - The Heart of Everything
Since The Metal Advisor asks our reasons, hear's my list again :D ! 1: I choose Iron Maiden's Brave New World because I love the effortless rollicking and ever so faintly whimsical journeys they take me on. Also, the solos are divine and Bruce's voice soars over the choruses. Best songs: Ghost of the Navigator and The Nomad. 2: Leaves' Eyes Vinland Saga. I don't think that there has ever been a metal album so magical, transporting me into a deep and beautiful world of Norse myth. Best songs: Farewell Proud Men, Amhran and Twilight Sun. 3. More Leaves' Eyes but comletely different with Njord, still highly Norse, but hard edged, warriors and gods tales with the old folkier song, all driving beats and cruching, snearing chords and riffs with Liv's voice soaring over the lot! Best songs: My Destiny, Scarborough Fair and Froya's Theme. 4. Epica's Divine Conspiracy for breathtaking ambition. The use of Orchestral insturments is pushed to its absolute limits, while highly philosphical lyrics and Simone Simon's fantastic and versatile voice make this a class album. The riffing on both guitars and keyboards is pretty exemplary too! Best songs: The Obsessive Devotion, Menace of Vanity and Chasing the Dragon. 5. Disturbed's Indestructible. Well, I just love this album, it's tight riffs with David Draiman's raspy yet melodic voice add real punch to this fast, aggresive scream of an album. Best songs: Indestructible, Criminal and Facade. 6. (Whew this is hard work :lol: ) Lamb of God's Ashes of the Wake. This just simply is the most skull-crushing album I own, tightly controlled white fury that screams and growls to me over sneering riffs. Terrific! Best songs: Laid to Rest and Hourglass. 7. Trivium's Crusade. I chose this because I love the songs. They are really fast and aggressive with plenty of inventive riffs yet they also flow wonderfully. Best songs: Ignition and To the Rats. 8. Century Child by Nightwish. Man I love this album, so dark, so meaningful, so philosophical! I have to confess though that the End of All Hope inspires completely the wrong emotion in me - it gives me hope and the will to resist! Best songs: End of All Hope, Slaying the Dreamer and Forever Yours. 9. (Am I still banging on?) Slipknot's All Hope is Gone. Oh dear, this I bet is the least popular of the albums I picked but I love it for it's wild, wild playing, which somehow always seems in control. Spitting riffs, frenzied progressions and insane solos make this (for me only!) a must have album! Best songs: Gematria, Sulfur and Snuff. 10. The Heart of Everything by Within Temptation. Wow, what a range to this album - it's simply impossible to pin down but it's all so good! Sharon's range and pathos are exceptional, I bet she could out-high Mariah Carey or the late Whitney Houston! Best songs: The Howling, Hand of Sorrow and Final Destination. Wow, that took some time but I hope that it was somehow worth it!

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year I guess I'll take NTNR's lead and start in the 90's. BlutAusNerd's Top 10 Albums of 1990: Atrocity: Hallucinations - One of the first tech/death albums, killer and unique Bathory: Hammerheart - First viking metal album, huge atmosphere and entrancing mood Deicide: Deicide - Deicide's most savage and memorable, total hate filled brutality Merciless: The Awakening - Absolutely destructive Swedish death/thrash, ripping greatness Nuclear Death: Bride of Insect - Sick noisy death/grind, a monument of disgusting insanity Obituary: Cause of Death - Dark, heavy, and catchy, Obituary's best Paradise Lost: Lost Paradise - One of the first doom/death album, amazing creepy atmosphere and rough heaviness Pungent Stench: For God Your Soul... For Me Your Flesh - Morbid, sick, and fucking fun death metal classic Trouble: Trouble - Pretty much the best stoner/doom album ever, one of Trouble's best Entombed: Left Hand Path - Classic Swedish death metal, best guitar tone EVER and one of the best death metal songs ever in the title track In no particular order, I had to make some tough cuts to even get down to 10, so I won't be organizing it. Mostly a death metal year for me, I guess... EDIT: Included a brief explanation for each as suggested by The Metal Adviser, I like the idea of an explanation, especially for albums others haven't heard.

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year I could only do this for decades not specific years so here goes my top ten albums of the eighties in no particular order Judas Priest - British Steel Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell Slayer - Hell Awaits Dio - Holy Diver Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying Anthrax - Among The Living Overkill - The Years Of Decay Accept - Restless And Wild Sanctuary - Refuge Denied

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year 1992: 1. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark 2. Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer 3. Obituary - The End Complete 4. Anathema - The Crestfallen 5. My Dying Bride - As the Flower Withers 6. Cathedral - Soul Sacrifice 7. Malevolent Creation - Retribution 8. Atrocity - Longing for Death 9. Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond 10. Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year 1993: 1. Paradise Lost - Icon 2. Amorphis - The Privilege of Evil 3. Carcass - Heartwork 4. Disembowelment - Transcendence into the Peripheral 5. Anathema - Serenades 6. Death - Individual Thought Patterns 7. Pitchshifter - Desensitized 8. Anthrax - Sound Of White Noise 9. Sentenced - North from Here 10. Cancer - Death Shall Rise

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year 1994: 1. At the Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease 2. Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding 3. Queensryche - Promised Land 4. Substance for God - Assembly of Flowers 5. My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans 6. The 3rd And The Mortal - Sorrow 7. Testament - Low 8. Napalm Death - Fear, Emptiness, Despair 9. Solitude Aeturnus - Through the Darkest Hour 10. Dark Funeral - Dark Funeral

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year 1995: 1. Iron Maiden - The X-Factor 2. At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul 3. Paradise Lost - Draconian Times 4. Anathema - The Silent Enigma 5. Morbid Angel - Domination 6. Anathema - Pentecost III 7. Theatre Of Tragedy - Theatre of Tragedy 8. Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side 9. The Gathering - Mandylion 10. Death - Symbolic Honorable Mention: In Flames - Subterranean Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings Cathedral - The Carnival Bizarre Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet Sentenced - Love & Death Rammstein - Herzeleid

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year 1996: 1. Anathema - Eternity 2. Type O Negative - October Rust 3. Cradle Of Filth - Dusk ... and Her Embrace 4. Cannibal Corpse - Vile 5. Iced Earth - The Dark Saga 6. Katatonia - Brave Murder Day 7. Moonspell - Irreligious 8. Manowar - Louder than Hell 9. Carcass - Swansong 10. Theatre Of Tragedy - Velvet Darkness They Fear

Re: Top 10 Albums of Any Given Year 1997: 1. Bruce Dickinson - Accident Of Birth 2. Judas Priest - Jugulator 3. Officium Triste - Ne Vivam 4. Skepticism - Lead & Aether 5. Queensryche - Hear in the Now Frontier 6. Faith No More - Album Of The Year 7. In Flames - Whoracle 8. HammerFall - Glory To The Brave 9. Obituary - Back from the Dead 10. Paradise Lost - One Second

As far as the reasons for why I put the bands where they are, it's mostly based on if I think they were a great album or not. Sometimes I'm biased but over all I try to be objective.
Well, why not try to go into detail about why? That would be especially useful for those that haven't heard the records because a listing thread really doesn't do much. I see a few posters have gone into some detail. I'll have to read 'em. :)