What's on your mind?

Apoc

This may sound strange for me, but I think I'm giving up drinking. I'm pretty certain that my latest binge in Wendover resulted in another kidney stone, albeit a smaller and less excruciating one than I experienced last time. I felt it in my kidney, and then in my bladder, and I have been urinating blood. Additionally, I was at a wedding yesterday and witnessed a lot of hideous and dark things coming out of a great many people who were drinking, and it made for a pretty awful experience. It reminded me of a time a few years ago that my ugliness came out when I had too much. As far as I know, it was only the one time and I feel like I'm usually positive when I drink, but being reminded of that took the fun out of it, even though I wasn't partaking myself because of the kidney stone. I don't know if this is a permanent decision or not, but at this time in my life, I think I'll stay sober.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Wow, well, good for you, and I hope your kidney stone issue gets better soon. Drinking has definitely been taking more of a toll on me than usual lately, maybe because of my schedule or just because I'm getting older. It's hard enough for me to stay positive and productive without the hangovers. Don't think I'll quit completely, but I've already cut back a bit. Good luck to you.

Long term it's probably for the best BAN. Not to be a nagging nelly but the rate you drink could already have caused some permanent damage or lead to complications later in life.

I seldom drink, almost never to get drunk, and the final straw for me was that time a couple months ago playing drinking games. I found out later I said some horrible things about my housemate and it took some effort to repair things. I still don't remember the night at all. Now I'll enjoy the odd glass of wine, a beer here and there, or a quality scotch but for the drink itself.

Long term it's probably for the best BAN. Not to be a nagging nelly but the rate you drink could already have caused some permanent damage or lead to complications later in life.

I seldom drink, almost never to get drunk, and the final straw for me was that time a couple months ago playing drinking games. I found out later I said some horrible things about my housemate and it took some effort to repair things. I still don't remember the night at all. Now I'll enjoy the odd glass of wine, a beer here and there, or a quality scotch but for the drink itself.

My memory isn't as good as it used to be, and I don't feel like I'm mentally as sharp as I once was. I have been drinking pretty hard on and off since I was 14 though, so I'm sure that I've fried some brain cells. I tend to be able to control myself well enough and don't usually engage in stupid behavior, but when I do, it tends to be regrettable. I have a lot of memories of my mom being drunk and useless when I was young too, and that wedding last night made me realize that I don't want that for my kids. No judgment to anyone who does, and I may change my mind at some point, but at this stage in my life I think I'm good without it.

In truth the move has really changed my attitude towards alcohol. Back 'home' every chance to drink I'd take it hoping to get drunk, I drank to excess very regularly for the previous seven years. It's probably to blame, at least in part, for my bouts of extreme depression (though I have had a couple here too).

Overall I'm in a much better place now, I'm happier most of the time, and alcohol is no longer a vice for me. Because of that I can have expensive taste in what I drink. It'll last longer and I can actually take the time to enjoy what I'm drinking.

There was that one slip up I mentioned but that has just reinforced my position.

I struggle to cut it out even when I know I should.  I echo BAN's experience of watching the ugly leech out of people when drunk and this is why I never drink in the company of my gf's family.  There's a darkness in some of them that should never see the light of day in front of kids at least.  I have also watched alcohol destroy my uncle who to this day is still an alcoholic even though he rarely has opportunity for alcohol nowadays living in a care home.  I am usually a very happy drunk but have had a couple of moments were I wind up darker than usual but thankfully I seem to have outgrown them.

Five years ago I was much healthier than I am now and there's no getting away from the fact that alcohol and diet haven't been smart in terms of choices.  The other thing I notice increasingly is how expensive it fucking is, often an extra £15-£20 a week on the food bill.

In other news my rapidly deteriorating relationship with my employers took on another twist today after they announced new "guidelines" on travel.  Basically "spend less" and book cheap tickets to help the company stay on track with it's business plan.  In other words the tens of millions of pounds worth of profit the owners made last year wasn't enough so the quality of travel for the troops on the ground can go to shit!  Fucking Capitalist, greedy wankers!  My appraisal on Friday is going to be fucking tetchy I tell you.

What sort of country do we live in? How, IN THE HELL, does an openly xenophobic, racist, vile thing like pauline hansen draw enough followers to hold a seat in the Federal Senate. Scratch that how does that individual hold FOUR seats? Uses parliamentary priviledge to spew hate free of repercussion. that woman (and I use the term VERY loosely) makes me sick.

What sort of country do we live in? How, IN THE HELL, does an openly xenophobic, racist, vile thing like pauline hansen draw enough followers to hold a seat in the Federal Senate. Scratch that how does that individual hold FOUR seats? Uses parliamentary priviledge to spew hate free of repercussion. that woman (and I use the term VERY loosely) makes me sick.

That's nothing. We may soon elect Donald Trump as president.

She's been elected twice now. Must be tapping into something? Over 4% of the total vote.

I don't agree with a lot of what she and her party says but must respect and protect her right to say believe it. That's the whole point of democratically elected representatives and debate in parliament.

Darren Hinch is going use the same forum to 'out' pedophiles etc which would have him in Court again if he did out outside Parliamentary privilege. Can't pick and chose. You let the 'good' in you also let the 'bad' in with it.

The Greens holding that fake walk-out proved themselves to be the biggest bunch of wankers alive IMO. Pathetic display of grandstanding. Made themselves look like the dickheads they generally are.

That's nothing. We may soon elect Donald Trump as president.

Yeah surely sanity prevails though? That guy would be very dangerous as Commander in Chief.

I agree 100% TB. Hinch though will at least push his agenda in parliament trying to change laws so that pedophiles can be named publicly. It's something that should happen so parents can protect their children. Hansen isn't raising anything as a debate. She just wants to hurl vitriol at anyone who isn't white, decry our acceptance and encouragement of multiculturalism, and bemoan our national attitude.

Also have you SEEN America? Trump is a shoe-in 'cause they don't have common sense.

I agree 100% TB. Hinch though will at least push his agenda in parliament trying to change laws so that pedophiles can be named publicly. It's something that should happen so parents can protect their children. Hansen isn't raising anything as a debate. She just wants to hurl vitriol at anyone who isn't white, decry our acceptance and encouragement of multiculturalism, and bemoan our national attitude.

Also have you SEEN America? Trump is a shoe-in 'cause they don't have common sense.

Yep, the thing about common sense is that it's not common.

Yep, he has a solid shot at winning, and that should really tell you all that you need to know about the intelligence and personality of the average American.

If we hadn't had greed- and/or ideology-driven fringe media willfully manufacturing lies, and corporate "mainstream" media leveling the playing field so the lies were taken seriously, we wouldn't be in this fix. I'm willing to bet a lot of folks are making what they think is the best decision based on what they think is reliable information, which is a problem if their information includes falsehoods like "immigrants are pouring into the country at an alarming rate", "immigrants are dangerous and violent", "manmade climate change is a hoax", "the current president is inciting racial violence", etc.