What's on your mind?

Apoc

6 hours ago, Dead1 said:

What better place to host next global climate talks than a major fossil fuel exporter (UAE)?

And what better place to make deals for further fossil fuel sales than a climate change conference?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/nov/27/cop28-host-uae-planned-promote-oil-deals-climate-talks

Global action on climate change is completely dead.

All will kneel before the global corporations. We're all for the environment unless there's a profit to be made.

But let's face it, if you're sitting on an ocean of oil that's worth a lot of money, you're gonna want to sell it. And the US pumps more oil out of the ground (12.8 million bpd) than anybody in the world, even Saudi Arabia. (and the right-wingers whinge that it's still not enough, the $3.28 we pay for a gallon of gas (86 cents a liter) is still too much) so it's not like as an American I can claim any kind of moral high ground.

9 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Strange, however, everyone who ended up on that show on the supposedly liberal network as a judge was later found to be severely underpaying the staff, generally disruptive in public or just a horrible person.

I have no idea how horrible Matt is, but as a critic it's hardly surprising he's a twat. I only ever watched the first season but I always found it funny that little baldy man used to look like he was melting whenever anyone fed him chilli.

11 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Strange, however, everyone who ended up on that show on the supposedly liberal network as a judge was later found to be severely underpaying the staff, generally disruptive in public or just a horrible person.

One sad truth is most successful people are usually nasty pricks.  

Some studies have even shown high level executives and serial killers share many similar psychological traits.

And as much as we pretend we're more evolved, our social systems are still based on Darwin's Laws of Evolution ie the ambitious tend to be willing to tread on the weak to reach their ambitions.

10 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

All will kneel before the global corporations. We're all for the environment unless there's a profit to be made.

But let's face it, if you're sitting on an ocean of oil that's worth a lot of money, you're gonna want to sell it. And the US pumps more oil out of the ground (12.8 million bpd) than anybody in the world, even Saudi Arabia. (and the right-wingers whinge that it's still not enough, the $3.28 we pay for a gallon of gas (86 cents a liter) is still too much) so it's not like as an American I can claim any kind of moral high ground.

Oh I totally agree.  But the UAE is not just selling the oil, they're making a mockery of what is left of the global environmental movement.

An interesting graph that shows the only time emissions stop and fall is during catastrophes and economic collapses.

The only problem is none of them permanently reduce emissions which indicates something more radical and permanent is required.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-05/global-carbon-project-finds-world-emissions-at-record-highs/103189436

70aee013e2c477935089f4ab42ccad7d?src

Australia's class rooms some of the most disruptive in the OECD.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-01/australian-kids-disruptive-classroom-school-behaviour-report/103176212

No surprises

That's because:

A.  People are entitled 

B. They raise their kids without discipline and ensure they're entitled.

C. People spoil their kids.

D. Parents look to blame everyone else for their worthless little spawn's shitty behaviour - it's the school's fault or they're autistic or they've got ADHD or they have both ADHD and autistic.

I am horrified at the behaviour of other people's kids both at school but also in private sphere.  Parents no 

(I have tried to raise my daughter in a more disciplined fashion but my wife insists on giving in.  My daughter at least knows how to behave in public but she is rude as fuck at home).

Aussie prisons are cushy

My wife visited the main prison as part of her work.  She was horrified at how comfortable and pleasant the place was.  

Given how much prisoners complain, she was expecting the kind of brutality you see on TV.  Not at all, pleasant gardens worked by the prisoners, they each got their own personal cell (that they could lock) with all the personal accoutrements of life and in remand they are allowed their own phones.

Such nice things for society's worst humans who have often committed heinous crimes against others including murder, rape etc etc.

We need a more authoritarian and draconian approach to society.  Discipline needs to be reintroduced at the threat of the lash, the gun and the noose.  Maybe then we can do something about the environment as consumer capitalism is destroyed.

37 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

An interesting graph that shows the only time emissions stop and fall is during catastrophes and economic collapses.

The only problem is none of them permanently reduce emissions which indicates something more radical and permanent is required.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-05/global-carbon-project-finds-world-emissions-at-record-highs/103189436

70aee013e2c477935089f4ab42ccad7d?src

Australia's class rooms some of the most disruptive in the OECD.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-01/australian-kids-disruptive-classroom-school-behaviour-report/103176212

No surprises

That's because:

A.  Australians are entitled 

B. They raise their kids without discipline and ensure they're entitled.

C. Australians spoil their kids.

D. Australian parents look to blame everyone else for their worthless little spawn's shitty behaviour - it's the school's fault or they're autistic or they've got ADHD or they have both ADHD and autistic.

I am horrified at the behaviour of other people's kids both at school but also in private sphere.  Parents no 

(I have tried to raise my daughter in a more disciplined fashion but my Australian wife insists on giving in.  My daughter at least knows how to behave in public but she is rude as fuck at home).

Aussie prisons are cushy

My wife visited the main prison as part of her work.  She was horrified at how comfortable and pleasant the place was.  

Given how much prisoners complain, she was expecting the kind of brutality you see on TV.  Not at all, pleasant gardens worked by the prisoners, they each got their own personal cell (that they could lock) with all the personal accoutrements of life and in remand they are allowed their own phones.

Such nice things for society's worst humans who have often committed heinous crimes against others including murder, rape etc etc.

We need a more authoritarian and draconian approach to society.  Discipline needs to be reintroduced at the threat of the lash, the gun and the noose.  Maybe then we can do something about the environment as consumer capitalism is destroyed.

Dead, please find a different forum to post this kind of stuff on. Keep it off this board. We're not interested in hosting it. I've asked you to stop a couple times. If you don't, I will shut down your account. I can't be any more clear than that. 

13 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Dead, please find a different forum to post this kind of stuff on. Keep it off this board. We're not interested in hosting it. I've asked you to stop a couple times. If you don't, I will shut down your account. I can't be any more clear than that. 

Hang on, the thread's initial OP specifically mentioned politics, music, wars, whatever (see below quote from way back in 2011).

On 6/25/2011 at 1:36 AM, Apoc said:

This is a thread where you post what's going on in the world. Politics,Music,Wars, Whatever. As long as it's interesting.

You can't have a "hey talk about whatever the fuck you like" thread and then ban shit you don't like or don't agree with.  After all it's a much wider world of opinions than MSM "We don't likez Trumpz so that's cool to talk about but anything else topical is not allowed."

You might want to close this thread down then and state somewhere that no politics or sociology or economics or crime or environmental discussion is allowed.  Then it's explicitly verboten and I can stick to talking about 1980s thrash and death.

Note I never broke the rules as specified here 

4 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Hang on, the thread's initial OP specifically mentioned politics, music, wars, whatever (see below quote from way back in 2011).

You can't have a "hey talk about whatever the fuck you like" thread and then ban shit you don't like or don't agree with.  After all it's a much wider world of opinions than MSM "We don't likez Trumpz so that's cool to talk about but anything else topical is not allowed."

You might want to close this thread down then and state somewhere that no politics or sociology or economics or crime or environmental discussion is allowed.  Then it's explicitly verboten and I can stick to talking about 1980s thrash and death.

I'm not asking everyone to stop posting about all politics forever. I'm specifically asking you, Dead1, to stop posting incendiary shit. I've asked you before. I'm asking again. Use your common sense. You've been here what, 2 years? I know you know how to restrain yourself. I understand that you like posting incendiary shit and don't get to do it on your real-name accounts, but we don't want it here.

If that's too loosey goosey and not authoritarian enough for you, and you can't post about (say) the environment or Australian politics without calling for (say) mass incarceration and execution, then by all means, consider politics off limits for yourself and talk about 1980s thrash and death metal. Stop being a problem. You know what I mean. We've let a lot of stuff slide and it's mostly been ok. It would make me personally super happy if you'd just chill the hell out and talk about music without going on your rants. I don't enjoy this part of the job and I don't want to can you.

Just one question then regarding "incendiary shit" - the future habitability of this planet is about as incendiary as you can get especially as one chunk of the planet believes it's a grim life or death situation and the other half believes it's all fine and business as usual.

Or homelessness or decaying education systems or domestic violence or lack of access to healthcare or whatever other decay and rot is setting in?  How are these not incendiary issues?  

How do you talk about this kind of the stuff in a non-incendiary way?  

I guess I need to learn to ignore it.   Stop writing letters to politicians, stop signing petitions, stop posting here and anywhere else.  

As Nevermore sang in This Godless Endeavour:

Consume, Conform.

This are only real values of our western society, including this forum.  Everything else is just pointless virtue signalling.

You can ban me now.

For what it's worth Dead, even though I'm a relative newcomer, I've read and posted in this particular containment zone of the board on occasion. I don't think your posts are particularly anti-discourse, and you're pretty plainly willing to engage with others. It seems to me that it's more a matter of just how obvious your entrance into a "low" cycle of dopamine and serotonin is to most others. I can completely understand the desire to goad and cajole until heads start turning or positive conversations spark up. People do want to have discussions about this stuff usually. Personally I got over my Malthusian phase about halfway through my twenties, and now I'd consider myself more of a conservationist (very different from an environmentalist) than anything else. The problem happens because the entry level for discussions is pitched at such a high volume it becomes impossible to join unless you want to enter on one or another side of a cacophonous torch and pitchfork bearing rabble which is an incredibly unappealing endeavor for most. The volume always goes up and never down. I've always thought that the only time in this day and age when you truly don't have a voice is when everyone around you is screaming. Discussion and engagement are possible, but it demands a tempered and measured tone.

Idunno. My two cents on something I have no business offering my two cents on anyway. Carry on.

29 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Just one question then regarding "incendiary shit" - the future habitability of this planet is about as incendiary as you can get especially as one chunk of the planet believes it's a grim life or death situation and the other half believes it's all fine and business as usual.

Or homelessness or decaying education systems or domestic violence or lack of access to healthcare or whatever other decay and rot is setting in?  How are these not incendiary issues?  

How do you talk about this kind of the stuff in a non-incendiary way?  

I guess I need to learn to ignore it.   Stop writing letters to politicians, stop signing petitions, stop posting here and anywhere else.  

As Nevermore sang in This Godless Endeavour:

Consume, Conform.

This are only real values of our western society, including this forum.  Everything else is just pointless virtue signalling.

You can ban me now.

Ah don't be a martyr. Just stop posting calls for an authoritarian government takeover and mass executions, for starters. That kind of stuff is not and has never been acceptable here. You know this. 

3 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Murphy’s law strikes again, in a case of everything going wrong at the worst possible time now the AC has blown. It can’t be repaired and the quote to replace. It is running at about $2000, fan fucking Tastic…

That's "fan" tastic for sure.

I don't remember now how much we've put into our cars since we moved in June but it's probably over $3000. Next time something breaks it'll have to stay broken for a while. We're tapped out.

Apparently the chairman of Chrysalis Records has claimed we should all turn to digital media because CD's and vinyl contribute too much to polluting the world. He's even gone as far claiming bands who talk about saving the world being hypocrites if they release physical media. Kind of a funny stance for a bloke who is chairman of a record label that relies heavily on physical media sales.

He does only point the finger at cd's and vinyl, he doesn't mention how much pollution merchandise makes so I guess record labels can still make some money from t-shirts, stickers, posters and anything else that can't be streamed

8 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Apparently the chairman of Chrysalis Records has claimed we should all turn to digital media because CD's and vinyl contribute too much to polluting the world. He's even gone as far claiming bands who talk about saving the world being hypocrites if they release physical media. Kind of a funny stance for a bloke who is chairman of a record label that relies heavily on physical media sales.

He does only point the finger at cd's and vinyl, he doesn't mention how much pollution merchandise makes so I guess record labels can still make some money from t-shirts, stickers, posters and anything else that can't be streamed

Wow. What a tool. That has to be the most blatant attempt at sending their customers down a false trail as I have ever heard from anyone in the music industry. How stupid does he think his base is?

The reason people start demanding physical media is because in terms of property, merchandising, and proprietary rights to things you have ostensibly paid for manufacturing near permanent (assuming correct care has been taken) substantive media is less profitable (note: not unprofitable entirely) than digital, where the musicians themselves are barely paid a pittance anyway. I'm not the biggest fan of ASCAP for some of their actions taken in the past, but they need to get involved in a case like this. This is such a shameless incursion by that label to grab their customers by the short hairs and install an entirely artificial shelf life which necessitates the customer re-purchase of the music they've already paid for.

What's more, as the political pendulum swings they'll have the ability to apply their own editing and sometimes removal entirely of anything their focus groups find disagreeable, and basically pull the same bullshit they did with Gone With the Wind, and the Roald Dahl books. I'm legit angry about this. I do not care to have my entertainment in it's singular purchase encroached on by these profit minded marketers. No thought spared for preservation of the art form. What an absolute disgrace.

The thing I find funny is that he mostly admits bands can't live without physical media. He admits that bands travelling create more co2 than physical media. He admits others things cause more co2, but he still claims his idea of getting rid of physical media has merit.

Sounds to me like someone wanting his 15 minutes of fame.

Yeah, and it reminds me of the talk of the potential demise of Bandcamp which I haven't followed closely as it only comprises a small percent of my music, but have in my peripheral vision. If I buy digital music, I damn sure want to make sure I have it backed up. Don't really have to worry so much with physical media. My issue is is it's harder to find a computer with a CD drive these days to burn physical media but that's another subject altogether. 

3 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

The thing I find funny is that he mostly admits bands can't live without physical media. He admits that bands travelling create more co2 than physical media. He admits others things cause more co2, but he still claims his idea of getting rid of physical media has merit.

Sounds to me like someone wanting his 15 minutes of fame.

Obviously those other things that also pollute like touring and merch can't be digitized, while physical media can.

The man is correct, physical media is stupid and pointless in 2023, there's just no more need for it. I gave it up over a decade ago and I don't miss it at all. In fact I wish they had invented digital music a lot sooner than they did so I wouldn't have all these stupid boxes full of CD's from before 2012 to get rid of. Should probably just dump them all in the bin and be done with them, it's not like anyone really buys and collects physical media anymore except for some of you old school metalheads, right?