What Are You Listening To?

khaos

16 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Excuse me, I didn't realize you were a fellow Long Island dude. I just knew you said you went fo school in NC and your parents still live there. Figured you'd probably left after graduation for the big city to find yourself and start a band or ride giant sandworms or something. Didn't mean to assume things not in evidence. Where'd you live on LI?

We moved a lot. Easthampton, Hampton Bays, Sag Harbor (not the fancy parts), and Shelter Island. My parents had finally been able to buy a house there and it seemed like we were done moving, but life had other plans. That's been a theme for all of us. NC was a fluke, we went there to stay with some friends of theirs from the upstate days and wound up staying. I wanted to move back to NY from the moment we got there and finally had my chance when I went to college. 

Oddly my dad's parents (from Bedminster) retired to Vermont, my mom's parents (from Great Neck) retired to Delaware, and even though my parents were both kind of the black sheep, both sets of grandparents moved down to their neighborhood in North Carolina for their final chapters. 

8 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm gonna dispute this. I only went to middle school and high school there. Formative years without a doubt, but I was never at home there and I only ever visit now to see my family. Born in NYC, lived in the state and on Long Island till we had to leave. I've always been a northeasterner.

Damn Yankees 

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

I AM THE INTIMIDATOR - I AM THE INTIMIDATOR

(and not just because it's all in caps)

Weird arse concept that will be truly loved by everyone.

"I AM THE INTIMIDATOR IS A FANTASY BASED REIMAGINING DETAILING THE FINAL DAY OF DALE EARNHARDT'S LIFE"

I've heard of Dale, is he no longer with us? Is Nascar actually a thing down under? I've known a few people who watch Nascar here in the states and I really don't get it. Driving around an oval track over and over at very high speeds trying to pass dudes has gotta be fun and exhilarating as hell. Watching others do it for hours on end is not. It's boring as fuck.

4 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I've heard of Dale, is he no longer with us? Is Nascar actually a thing down under? I've known a few people who watch Nascar here in the states and I really don't get it. Driving around an oval track over and over at very high speeds trying to pass dudes has gotta be fun and exhilarating as hell. Watching others do it for hours on end is not. It's boring as fuck.

Dale Sr. died in an on track accident back in 2001. At Daytona no less. He's the reason they all wear those helmet harnesses these days. Jr is still around but retired from racing.

21 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

We have (or at least had) an Aussie driver in the NASCAR mix. Unsurprisingly he did extremely well on tracks that hard corners that when both ways rather than just one. We had our own version of NASCAR for a while which was called AUSCAR, (same sort of rules but Aussie branded cars). It was relatively successful 30+ years ago but I don't think it's running now. Most of our circle track racing these days is dirt track where they slide the cars around the corner rather than drive a banked circuit.

9 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Dale Sr. died in an on track accident back in 2001. At Daytona no less. He's the reason they all wear those helmet harnesses these days. Jr is still around but retired from racing.

So you're saying the car was the bell and his head was the clapper? Did his head come all the way off?  Man, that's not a way I'd want to go out. Headless in Daytona.

As one might imagine, I drive very aggressively, like an idiot I'm sure some might say. I look at speed limits and red lights and lane restrictions as mere suggestions. Although strangely I rarely ever worry about crashing or dying. I almost always get where I'm going without incident. I did tone it down a bit when I had another kid 10 years ago, and when I have others who might not have a death wish in the car with me. But when I'm out driving solo, all bets are off.

9 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

We have (or at least had) an Aussie driver in the NASCAR mix. Unsurprisingly he did extremely well on tracks that hard corners that when both ways rather than just one. We had our own version of NASCAR for a while which was called AUSCAR, (same sort of rules but Aussie branded cars). It was relatively successful 30+ years ago but I don't think it's running now. Most of our circle track racing these days is dirt track where they slide the cars around the corner rather than drive a banked circuit.

I went with some friends to a dirt track once on a warm summer evening back in the 80's. There was so much dirt and dust in the air you couldn't hardly see or breathe. Never again. They need to hose those things down a bit more often. 

13 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I went with some friends to a dirt track once on a warm summer evening back in the 80's. There was so much dirt and dust in the air you couldn't hardly see or breathe. Never again. They need to hose those things down a bit more often. 

In Australia they water the tracks down every few races so while it can be a bit dusty it's rarely a choking issue. Occasionally it does get dry enough to create dust but most of the tracks only have spectators around less than 270 degrees of the track (the rest being the pit area) and by design most of the dust blows over the pits which are lower than the track.

33 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

In Australia they water the tracks down every few races so while it can be a bit dusty it's rarely a choking issue. Occasionally it does get dry enough to create dust but most of the tracks only have spectators around less than 270 degrees of the track (the rest being the pit area) and by design most of the dust blows over the pits which are lower than the track.

Both my uncles used to race those back in the day, used to be good fun watching then as a kid. 

26 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Surprised Australia would allow them to waste water on something so frivolous like that. Isn't the general lack of water the reason you guys can only support 26 million people living on that massive island? New York State alone with just over two thirds as much land area as Victoria (or just over two Tasmanias) has 20 million people. 

This was just some rinky dink little local dirt track in Riverhead. It's possible that some of the bigger more professionally run racetracks could be doing a better job of keeping their tracks wet down for dust supression.

47 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Surprised Australia would allow them to waste water on something so frivolous like that. Isn't the general lack of water the reason you guys can only support 26 million people living on that massive island? New York State alone with just over two thirds as much land area as Victoria (or just over two Tasmanias) has 20 million people. 

This was just some rinky dink little local dirt track in Riverhead. It's possible that some of the bigger more professionally run racetracks could be doing a better job of keeping their tracks wet down for dust supression.

More water is wasted by industry than dirt track racing. Although in most cases dirt tracks are well out of the city and the water trucks are filled from dams, free flowing creeks, or in many cases recycled water is used.

Our smaller population has more to do with the fact that so much of the land would not sustain urban sprawl. Water, or lack there of, would be an issue if we could populate all of the inhospitable land, but currently it's a land issue more than a water issue.

Sometimes I just gotta go do this.....

Ratt/Out of the Cellar

Motley Crue/Shout at the Devil

Motley Crue/Girls, Girls, Girls

Motley Crue/Dr. Feelgood 

Because, (Take a Walk on the )Wild Side y'all

Borknagar/Fall

Matter Mortem/Old Eyes, New Heart

Ihsahn 

Been going a little overboard on prog in 2024-Whatsupp??!

NP: Rapid - Blackstar Oppression Regime

▶︎ Blackstar oppression regime | Rapid (bandcamp.com)

a2233138891_10.jpg

Try this genre tag on for size; "black/speed metal" from Helsinki. It's fun and feels like something that could only have emerged from the frozen north, even if only lately. No full lengths to their name as of yet unfortunately, but it's good to hear the old school Omen/Hallows Eve Metalblade sound remains in tact and well. I'd go see these guys live in second.