What Are You Listening To?

khaos

New Inter Arma:

▶︎ New Heaven | Inter Arma (bandcamp.com)

Sounds nice and cavernous. 

Cramming ready for gig on 8 March....

Death Atlas | Cattle Decapitation (bandcamp.com)

I think I prefer this one to Terrasite. 

Some local boys, who also have a gig coming up on 16 March...

The Cull | Verminthrone (bandcamp.com)

Won't be changing the world, but a good cheap night out.

New MBD:

A Mortal Binding | My Dying Bride (bandcamp.com)

Fairly reliable. Sounds more stripped back than the last album.

Cannibal Corpse - Chaos Horrific (2023)

On 2/28/2024 at 3:16 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

I try to pay attention to how much I can actually enjoy and digest properly. I talk a lot about burnout and that happens pretty easily for me, but the other path I can go down if I'm not careful is the endless stream of content - listening to everything, forming quick takes, but not really absorbing anything. I find I can alternate between maybe two or three new albums over the course of a month or two, as far as really paying attention and taking in what they have to offer. Any more than that and I start losing what I care about in the experience. So basically my listening habit is like it was when I was a teenager and could only afford a couple albums at a time, except I have to try to purposely keep it that way.

I also find that being online at all while I'm listening is really disruptive to the experience, it turns music into background noise. That's hard to manage sometimes.

NP - Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium: Nahab

This.  Absolutely this.  More is less for my brain and always has been.  It is not always necessarily brand new releases though, the same applies for aything new to my ears, in order to truly appreciate it needs to be drip fed.

29 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Abigor - Taphonomia Aeternitatis

Abigor - Totschläger

Mayhem - Chimera

Akercocke - Rape Of The Bastard Nazarene

You know, I've always been meaning to check out more Abigor, but for one reason or another they always seem to slip through the cracks with me, which is odd because I really do enjoy the one album I have (channeling the quintessence of satan.) Might be time to get on to the rest of their stuff.

NP: Bufihimat - I

▶︎ I | Bufihimat (bandcamp.com)

a1285258312_10.jpg

Very rhythm focused tech death from Russia. This is excellent. It's pretty obvious they approach songwriting from a percussive-first perspective, which is definitely the way to go. A strong lead guitar is good, but even the best soloists will usually tell there's almost no substitute for a truly tight and disciplined rhythm section.

9 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

You know, I've always been meaning to check out more Abigor, but for one reason or another they always seem to slip through the cracks with me, which is odd because I really do enjoy the one album I have (channeling the quintessence of satan.) Might be time to get on to the rest of their stuff.

NP: Bufihimat - I

▶︎ I | Bufihimat (bandcamp.com)

a1285258312_10.jpg

Very rhythm focused tech death from Russia. This is excellent. It's pretty obvious they approach songwriting from a percussive-first perspective, which is definitely the way to go. A strong lead guitar is good, but even the best soloists will usually tell there's almost no substitute for a truly tight and disciplined rhythm section.

This Bufihimat was on my list when it came out.

Abigor is great. There's a lot of intricate musicianship that might appeal to you. I only started coming around to them in the past few years. They try different things and some of it doesn't really land for me. I think Totschläger has become my favorite, but it took me a few walks in the woods. If you're looking for mid 90s melodic BM, Nachthymnen and Verwustung are fantastic. Time Is The Sulphur... has a cleaner sound and some cool digital manipulation, neat vibe on that one. I like the newest one (Taphonomia Aeternitatis) a lot but it's got this occult heavy metal vibe and I don't think I'd use it as a starting place. Hope you enjoy 'em.

NP: Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone

Nocturnus - The Key (1990)

I've shunned this album for decades. I had buddies who loved it, including one who doesn't really like Death Metal, especially when it's technical or complicated.

But every time I tried The Key, it just wouldn't do. I'd stop within minutes.

It's typically an album that, for me, isn't accessible on the first few listens. It takes a lot more to get into it.

But since then, I've taken the time to dwell on it, listening to it over and over again to immerse myself in it. I wouldn't say it's an album I'd listen to every day, but I like it a lot.

Bandcamp Friday! Get some in ya.

Found in my wishlist. It was in NZD so I presume a kiwi band, even though writing about Scottish ghosts or something. Sounds decent.

New
    a1259006075_16.jpg

Got a few albums by these guys. This must have been from an AOTY list.
    New
    a3377120354_16.jpg

Why not? This is one of those bands I go through phases on. I don't have all of their albums and not that bothered by the supposed masterpiece Crack the Skye. I had a renaissance with The Hunter, and big fan of Hushed & Grim, but the older material never particularly resonated. A rare band that, for me, gets better the more they sell out. It doesn't make any goddamned sense.

By the way....an observation for @JamesT, the only other person here that would care. Halford's vocals on that new Priest track sound incredible for a 74 year old or whatever he is. The modern Richie-generated generic Priest riff machine still does nothing for me, but vocally it is spot on.