What Are You Listening To?

khaos

19 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I suppose it really comes down to Bobby and how long his voice holds out. He'll be 65 in May, a couple years older than me even, but on last year's Scorched he still sounds like he's 32 (Horrorscope era). Maybe even a bit better now that he's apparently living clean and abstaining from alcohol and drugs. I'm the first one to speak up and admit when my metal warriors start losing their edge, and I can't imagine anyone could sing like that forever. I really don't want to see 80 year olds onstage trying to thrash it up. So sooner or later the time will come when they'll decide it's time to pack it in. I'm not worried about how many more albums they might release, they've given us 20 already, 15 of them good ones by my estimation and several of those are all-time genre classics. So that's already a lot more than most bands will ever give us. They still bring it live (as of March 2022) they've unquestionably given us hardcore fans our money's worth. Their body of work speaks for itself, they really don't owe us anything more. Whatever else we get from them will just be gravy.

Killbox 13, 2003. This was the album that really renewed my interest in Overkill. I remember I stopped looking forward to their new albums at some point in the 90's after FTUAB and KK. But this one's in their top 5 afaic. Wall to wall bangers, the only song I don't care about on here is track 4, The One.

That is a fantastic point, my friend.  They truly don't owe us fans anything more, given what they've already graced us with.  But like you said, they don't seem to be slowing down quite yet, so I'll just look forward with eagerness to any further releases and enjoy all of this great material until the day I die.  And just curious - I saw you mention March of 2022 when you talked about how they're still bringing the goods live.  Did you see them during that particular month up in NY/NJ?  I actually saw them live that same exact month!  They came down here to Asheville, NC, which is over in the mountains and is about a 5-hour drive from me.  But my wife and I made the trip, stayed in a downtown hotel for one night, and I saw my thrash heroes up close.  I was literally at the very front, leaning up against the barricade in front of the stage, while Blitz sang/shouted his heart out and the band absolutely slayed.  I got a shirt with "The Wings of War" album cover displayed prominently across the back and the Chalie emblem on the front.  It was a night I'll treasure forever.

1 hour ago, JamesT said:

That is a fantastic point, my friend.  They truly don't owe us fans anything more, given what they've already graced us with.  But like you said, they don't seem to be slowing down quite yet, so I'll just look forward with eagerness to any further releases and enjoy all of this great material until the day I die.  And just curious - I saw you mention March of 2022 when you talked about how they're still bringing the goods live.  Did you see them during that particular month up in NY/NJ?  I actually saw them live that same exact month!  They came down here to Asheville, NC, which is over in the mountains and is about a 5-hour drive from me.  But my wife and I made the trip, stayed in a downtown hotel for one night, and I saw my thrash heroes up close.  I was literally at the very front, leaning up against the barricade in front of the stage, while Blitz sang/shouted his heart out and the band absolutely slayed.  I got a shirt with "The Wings of War" album cover displayed prominently across the back and the Chalie emblem on the front.  It was a night I'll treasure forever.

I saw them last year with Exhorder. I'll admit, I've never been an Overkill fan. Just one of those bands that flew under my radar. Really good live. Blitz sounds great although you can tell that performing is physically taxing for him at his age. A lot of the old guard still bring it live. Exciter, Razor, Possessed, Megadeth, Suicidal, Sodom... I'm just trying to see as many as I can while I can. Never know how many more opportunities we'll get. Having grown up in an area that never saw  many tours, I missed pretty much everything back in the day, so now I travel to see everything I can.

Anyway, lazy Sunday morning. Schizophrenic Florida has decided we needed one more blast of winter and it's 40 degrees outside. So coffee and tunes until it gets tolerable outside.

The Sound - From the Lions Mouth

4 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Schizophrenic Florida has decided we needed one more blast of winter and it's 40 degrees outside.

Meanwhile, Vermont has finally remembered what fucking season it is! 4°F this morning. Tired of all this mucky "above freezing" nonsense.

9 minutes ago, navybsn said:

So coffee and tunes until it gets tolerable outside.

This album is always welcome here.

2 hours ago, JamesT said:

Yeah man we saw them on the same tour, just a few days apart. I saw them at the Sherman Theater in Stroudsburg PA because it was slightly closer and a lot less traffic than going east to see them at the NYC date. But I've seen them lots of times back in the good ole days of the 80's. Many of those times were at L'Amour in Bensonhurst Brooklyn, but they used to play around the NY/NJ area quite a bit.

Had tickets to see them in Times Square on May 1st 2010 but there was a car bomb scare and police had the whole Times Square area locked down tight. So we only got as close as diagonally across the intersection. We could see silhouettes of people inside the venue walking up and down the stairs through the windows but they wouldn't let us walk across to enter the Nokia Theater. 5 bands on the bill so we were coming in a little late in order to miss the first couple of them we didnt care about seeing. They let the show go on with whomever managed to get into the venue early, so we had to eat the tix.

Then I had tickets to see them with Testament and Flotsie at the Paramount Theater in my hometown of Huntington NY on LI back in the winter of 2013. But Bobby was sick that night and the doctor had told him not to sing and strain his chords, so they didn't play that night. The rest of the band got up between bands and apologized to their fans and said they'd make it up to us next time around. I was annoyed because Overkill was the one band I was there to see, but we stayed my wife and I, and Testament killed. They played an extra long set like almost 2 hours because because they were filming the show for a dvd. And my wife ended up really liking Flotsie, (her nickname for them) she even bought their shirt and their latest CD. So the night wasn't a total loss.

So when I saw them in 2022 that was the first time I'd seen them since 2006 when I saw them at BB Kings in NYC on the Relix tour with Prong. I hate that they always seem to tour with Prong, I fucking hate Prong. I must say it was weird seeing them being so elderly two years ago. Yeah I know I'm as old as DD myself, and I know I'd seen pictures and video of them being elderly, but seeing them up close in person being so ancient in their natural on stage habitat was a bit jarring. We had fun though my buddy and I, two 60 year old dudes right down front. Couldn't get a spot right on the barricade cuz there were some little short chicks there who'd already claimed that spot, so we were right behind them. We didn't get in the pit and mix it up at our age, but we were boosting up crowd surfers helping them get up on top of the crowd. Didn't get a shirt, but I've already got several Overkill shirts. 

7 hours ago, navybsn said:

Anyway, lazy Sunday morning. Schizophrenic Florida has decided we needed one more blast of winter and it's 40 degrees outside. So coffee and tunes until it gets tolerable outside.

This Lion's Mouth record is pretty cool man, I dig it. I know to some it would seem out of character for me to like something like this, but I like laid back mellow shit like this, it's mostly the mainstream mass appeal poseur metal that I just can't stomach.  Was this something you heard back in the day or a more recent discovery? Now that I think about it for a sec I guess you were still a child in 1981 so you probably ran across it more recently. Many of us like to complain that there's just too much music out there to keep up with it all, but the other side of that is that you can always discover something cool from 40 years ago, we'll never run out of hidden gems like this we missed. Couldn't sleep much last night so I ended up crashing out from 11am til 2pm, my kid's sick now with whatever I had all last week, so I got him his medicine and some oatmeal and blueberries and now I am enjoying my lazy Sunday "morning" coffee at 4:30pm with my cool new post punk discovery. Cheers my friend, don't stop posting these non-metal sleepers.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

This Lion's Mouth record is pretty cool man, I dig it. I know to some it would seem out of character for me to like something like this, but I like laid back mellow shit like this, it's mostly the mainstream mass appeal poseur metal that I just can't stomach.  Was this something you heard back in the day or a more recent discovery? Now that I think about it for a sec I guess you were still a child in 1981 so you probably ran across it more recently. Many of us like to complain that there's just too much music out there to keep up with it all, but the other side of that is that you can always discover something cool from 40 years ago, we'll never run out of hidden gems like this we missed. Couldn't sleep much last night so I ended up crashing out from 11am til 2pm, my kid's sick now with whatever I had all last week, so I got him his medicine and some oatmeal and blueberries and now I am enjoying my lazy Sunday "morning" coffee at 4:30pm with my cool new post punk discovery. Cheers my friend, don't stop posting these non-metal sleepers.

I probably ran into The Sound around the end of the 80's. They were in the group of bands similar enough to the more well known goth/Post-Punk acts like The Cure, Bauhaus, Joy Division etc but a bit underground for the states. Iirc, I was dating some goth chick who had all sorts of stuff I'd never knew existed. The Sound, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Chameleons, Clan of Xymox, Fields of Nephilim... Some stuck with me, some didn't. The first 3-4 from The Sound are excellent and the live album from 85 is one of the better from that subgenre.

Hope little 'Noise gets back on his feet soon.

The Cult - Electric

Fields of Nephilim - Dawnrazor

And Also the Trees - Virus Meadow

Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame

New Model Army - Ghost of Cain

VITRIOL - Suffer & Become

NOTHINGNESS - Supraliminal

Both very noice indeed.

NP - JAMES BRANDON LEWIS QUARTET - Transfiguration. This is saxophone playing! And what a band. There is a lot of second rate jazz (and second rate everything) around, but this is the real thing.

10 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah man we saw them on the same tour, just a few days apart. I saw them at the Sherman Theater in Stroudsburg PA because it was slightly closer and a lot less traffic than going east to see them at the NYC date. But I've seen them lots of times back in the good ole days of the 80's. Many of those times were at L'Amour in Bensonhurst Brooklyn, but they used to play around the NY/NJ area quite a bit.

Had tickets to see them in Times Square on May 1st 2010 but there was a car bomb scare and police had the whole Times Square area locked down tight. So we only got as close as diagonally across the intersection. We could see silhouettes of people inside the venue walking up and down the stairs through the windows but they wouldn't let us walk across to enter the Nokia Theater. 5 bands on the bill so we were coming in a little late in order to miss the first couple of them we didnt care about seeing. They let the show go on with whomever managed to get into the venue early, so we had to eat the tix.

Then I had tickets to see them with Testament and Flotsie at the Paramount Theater in my hometown of Huntington NY on LI back in the winter of 2013. But Bobby was sick that night and the doctor had told him not to sing and strain his chords, so they didn't play that night. The rest of the band got up between bands and apologized to their fans and said they'd make it up to us next time around. I was annoyed because Overkill was the one band I was there to see, but we stayed my wife and I, and Testament killed. They played an extra long set like almost 2 hours because because they were filming the show for a dvd. And my wife ended up really liking Flotsie, (her nickname for them) she even bought their shirt and their latest CD. So the night wasn't a total loss.

So when I saw them in 2022 that was the first time I'd seen them since 2006 when I saw them at BB Kings in NYC on the Relix tour with Prong. I hate that they always seem to tour with Prong, I fucking hate Prong. I must say it was weird seeing them being so elderly two years ago. Yeah I know I'm as old as DD myself, and I know I'd seen pictures and video of them being elderly, but seeing them up close in person being so ancient in their natural on stage habitat was a bit jarring. We had fun though my buddy and I, two 60 year old dudes right down front. Couldn't get a spot right on the barricade cuz there were some little short chicks there who'd already claimed that spot, so we were right behind them. We didn't get in the pit and mix it up at our age, but we were boosting up crowd surfers helping them get up on top of the crowd. Didn't get a shirt, but I've already got several Overkill shirts. 

Oh man, that's wild!  May 1, 2010, was my 20th birthday.  I actually heard Blitz talk about that car bomb incident in an interview he did with Loudwire about 6-7 years ago.  It's interesting that they still let the show continue for whomever had managed to get in before they started roping things off.  Blitz said the authorities were concerned about causing a major panic if word began circulating too quickly.  

I've never gotten into Prong, but I did get to chat with them for just a couple of minutes after the show that night - really cool, humble guys.  I've just never been into their music - nothing against it, though.  

Pretty cool that your wife was digging Flotsam and Jetsam!  I'm hoping we get a new album from them this year.  After their 2021 release, "Blood in the Water", AK said they had enough material for another album or two already written, so I'm hoping that means the next one is on the horizon.

As for the immediate future, I'm about to listen through the entire Overkill catalog, from the first glorious album to the most recent - "Feel the Fire" and "Taking Over" will be the soundtrack to my 6:00 a.m. workout tomorrow morning!

30 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Oh man, that's wild!  May 1, 2010, was my 20th birthday.  I actually heard Blitz talk about that car bomb incident in an interview he did with Loudwire about 6-7 years ago.  It's interesting that they still let the show continue for whomever had managed to get in before they started roping things off.  Blitz said the authorities were concerned about causing a major panic if word began circulating too quickly.  

I've never gotten into Prong, but I did get to chat with them for just a couple of minutes after the show that night - really cool, humble guys.  I've just never been into their music - nothing against it, though.  

Pretty cool that your wife was digging Flotsam and Jetsam!  I'm hoping we get a new album from them this year.  After their 2021 release, "Blood in the Water", AK said they had enough material for another album or two already written, so I'm hoping that means the next one is on the horizon.

As for the immediate future, I'm about to listen through the entire Overkill catalog, from the first glorious album to the most recent - "Feel the Fire" and "Taking Over" will be the soundtrack to my 6:00 a.m. workout tomorrow morning!

I've listened to close to half of their albums over the last few days, but not in order or back to back or anything. I don't do full catalog runs for bands with that many albums, I'd get bored listening to just one band for two days straight. I'll jump around and listen to two or three at a time and then play some other stuff in between to break it up. 

And Also the Trees - The Klaxon, 1993 experimental UK post-punk.

The Underground Youth - Mademoiselle, Manchester born, Berlin based, 2010

NP: Temple of Gorgon - Leviathan (ep)

▶︎ Temple of Gorgon - Leviathan [RAUM-024] | Geistraum Records (bandcamp.com)

a1139340881_10.jpg

It's black metal. It's not raw black metal, but also not in the German style either. Closer to say, something like Denouncement Pyre, but less boring (sorry to any of the fans out there, but for the life of me I can't pay attention to that band). Also not as ponderous and sprawling as Aosoth (Again, sorry. See above). Executed with confidence and relish for what it is.

SLAGMARK - Purging Sacred Soils

16 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Swans - White Light From the Mouth of Infinity, 1991

Bauhaus - In the Flat Field, 1980

.....WhiteNoise....I know you're a fan of post punk...as you've expressed so in the past...but you've given your concho belt and bronto-skin kicker boots some extra street cred here....

On 2/18/2024 at 5:43 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Swans - White Light From the Mouth of Infinity, 1991

WTF? You might be running a fever. Interesting album tho.

NP: Integrity-Howling for the Nightmare Shall Consume (2017) -forget all this retro NWOHM and bogus so called proto metal copycat stuff, many albums from which I, in fact own, if you want to find classic metal, the best stuff is imbedded in extreme metal of one form or another like this Integrity album.  

WP (was playing): Woe/Quietly, undramatically