What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Giving the sick and twisted psycho-psychedelic horrific symphony, BAN's Disharmonium Nahab the full blown speaker experience tonight as I did Dodheimsgard/black medium current last night, an album that finally clicked.  Disharmonium-Nahab is immersive and immense. I think it's a tremendous, challenging album. At one point, I closed my eyes and started drifting to sleep amid the chaotic beauty of Nahab, only to jump in my seat at the horror coming from my speakers; angular sounds I had not noticed before taking an almost 3 dimensional form coming towards me in my delirium.... feeling dark, hallucinations seemingly take physical shape-sensing the shadow of a scaled, cloaked hand-like claw coming to grab me through the haze of my twilight mind and pull me into the nether world. Suddenly awake, not willing to close my eyes.

In plainer English-this is an arresting  and thought provoking album that spurs my imagination. But that's what BAN does-they have a way of warping time and space and work, for me at least, at a subconscious level . 

NP: Ahab/The Coral Tombs

37 minutes ago, markm said:

angular sounds I had not noticed before taking an almost 3 dimensional form coming towards me in my delirium.... feeling dark, hallucinations seemingly take physical shape-sensing the shadow of a scaled, cloaked hand-like claw coming to grab me through the haze of my twilight mind and pull me into the nether world.

That's what metal should do!

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

New Inquisition sounds like standard issue Inquisition to me. It's not going to be my favorite album from them, but I dig it. I dig everything they've ever done, so no surprise. Like Black Mass better after the first pass. I agree with @GoatmasterGeneral's assessment. Black Mass is in the top 2-3 of their discography.

It feels like antithesis to previous album, but I like the new one better.

Immortal - Diabolical fullmoon mysticism

Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm, 2010. My #2 Inquisition disc and the first album of the "modern" melodic Inquisition era. I remember the debates in 2010 about how this new one was too melodic and how they'd sold out and this was essentially Inquisition's Black Album. Utter nonsense, this kills. Can't understand why any self-proclaimed metalhead might rather listen to thrash or trad heavy metal or prog or post-metal or Pantera or some shit when they could be listening to this slab of monumentally pulverizing badassery. 

4 hours ago, navybsn said:

New Inquisition sounds like standard issue Inquisition to me. It's not going to be my favorite album from them, but I dig it. I dig everything they've ever done, so no surprise. Like Black Mass better after the first pass. I agree with @GoatmasterGeneral's assessment. Black Mass is in the top 2-3 of their discography.

I can't put Black Mass in the top 2 or 3 like @navybsn but I do like it a lot. Couldn't understand the mediocre reviews it was getting in 2020 as if it was some big departure. Hard to rank these when even the ones toward the bottom of the list are so excellent. I think today I'll rank the Inquisition albums as follows:

1. Nefarious Dismal Orations
2. Ominous Doctrines
3. Invoking the Majestic Throne
4. Black Mass
5. Obscure Verses
6. Bloodshed Across the Altar
7, Magnificent Glorification
8. Into the Infernal Regions

Left the new one out for the time being, but I'm thinking maybe #6 or #7.

Inquisition - Nefarious Dismal Orations. I'll have to make some Pantera Inquisition AC/DC mixtapes. Definitely love the Ancient Monumental War Hymn track. The song title Where Darkness Is Lord and Death the Beginning is an insightful, descriptive phrase for my activity. 

4 minutes ago, Sardonicist said:

Inquisition - Nefarious Dismal Orations. I'll have to make some Pantera Inquisition AC/DC mixtapes. Definitely love the Ancient Monumental War Hymn track. The song title Where Darkness Is Lord and Death the Beginning is an insightful, descriptive phrase for my activity. 

You can call your mixtapes "music to eat meat to"

The single best Inquisition album. Morning Star is the best track on here, but there are no bad ones. Was lucky enough to see them twice on the touring cycle when this was the latest album. Destroyed.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I can't put Black Mass in the top 2 or 3 like @navybsn but I do like it a lot. Couldn't understand the mediocre reviews it was getting in 2020 as if it was some big departure. Hard to rank these when even the ones toward the bottom of the list are so excellent. I think today I'll rank the Inquisition albums as follows:

1. Nefarious Dismal Orations
2. Ominous Doctrines
3. Invoking the Majestic Throne
4. Black Mass
5. Obscure Verses
6. Bloodshed Across the Altar
7, Magnificent Glorification
8. Into the Infernal Regions

Left the new one out for the time being, but I'm thinking maybe #6 or #7.

I'd have as my top 4, but I honestly don't think about it too much. When I'm in the mood for Inquisition, any and all will do.

1) Nefarious

2) Infernal Regions

3) Black Mass

4) Invoking

3 hours ago, Sardonicist said:

Deicide - In the Minds of Evil

Deicide - Overtures of Blasphemy 

Step to Freedom - ST

Have never been able to tolerate Deicide, but I've been trying again recently with them. In the last few days I've listened to their first three albums, the S/T debut twice. Think I'm making some wee bit of headway, I'll no longer say I hate them, but I still think there are dozens if not hundreds of better death metal bands one could listen to in my estimation. Don't understand these people who'd put them among their top 3 death metal bands.

Same goes for Morbid Angel, although I've officially given up trying to get into them. Wasted far too many hours of my life listening to their records that I can't fucking stand. I've had to accept that they just don't do anything for me and they never will. Like I have with Pantera.

Inquisition - Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer, 2004. MGL is not among my top tier Inquisition albums, but I think it's more of a production issue. Still a great album but I have to find some way to separate them, they can't all be top 3.

47 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Have never been able to tolerate Deicide, but I've been trying again recently with them. In the last few days I've listened to their first three albums, the S/T debut twice. Think I'm making some wee bit of headway, I'll no longer say I hate them, but I still think there are dozens if not hundreds of better death metal bands one could listen to in my estimation. Don't understand these people who'd put them among their top 3 death metal bands.

Same goes for Morbid Angel, although I've officially given up trying to get into them. Wasted far too many hours of my life listening to their records that I can't fucking stand. I've had to accept that they just don't do anything for me and they never will. Like I have with Pantera.

I became one of those annoying old people that listen to the same few cliches continuously all the time. I used to hate those people. 

Therion - Lepaca Kliffoth 

Inquisition - Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan, 2002. This is my favorite of their early albums. Most bands will never release an album this good. I'll probably have to listen to this one twice. 

26 minutes ago, Sardonicist said:

I became one of those annoying old people that listen to the same few cliches continuously all the time. I used to hate those people. 

How old could you possibly be? My mental picture of you has always been some quiet loner dude in his mid 30's, but I'm probably way off. You don't give us much to go on Luxi. This isn't you is it? I could totally see you sporting face tattoos.

maori+face.JPG?format=1500w

I’m far too lazy to actually multi quote folks, so I’ll just address the topics here:

1. Deicide have exactly 2 albums that are even worth bothering to check out, and it’s the first two., beyond that they are, at least in my opinion, the most boring, generic, and uninspired, death, metal band on the planet.

2. I dig Morbid Angel but they are the sort of band that either works for you, or don’t, there’s not really a middle ground.

3. I’d rank Inquisition as follows:

1. Nefarious

2.Majestic Throne

3. Magnificent Glorification

4. Bloodshed

5.Ominous Doctrines

6. Obscure Verses

7. Veneration

8. Black Mass

9. Infernal Regions

NP: Darkspace - Dark Space III (2007)

Inquisition - Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult, 1998. Here we are back to the beginning. This is the full length debut, I'm not going to concern myself with the earlier thrash EP demos when he was a teenager living in Colombia. I bought them once upon a time when they issued them together on a cd, but they sound like shit and I never really got into them. This is the Inquisition album that most fans seem to rank fairly high in the discography, that I have always ranked last. Not that I don't like the album, it's a good album, but every other Inquisition album is better than this one. He hadn't really found his sound and his trademark riffing style yet here. Still I wish every band's worst album was half as good as this one.