What Are You Listening To?

khaos

3 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Thy Darkened Shade - Liber Lvcifer II: Mahapralaya (2023)

Nice choice. I often think it feels like faint praise when I say album is polished and professional, but in this context I truly did appreciate how completely the sound was filled out (to black metal standards at least) without really dipping into symphonic territory. The riffs and honestly the whole album itself is unusually memorable and held my attention on both the initial and subsequent playthroughs. Quality stuff.

NP: Stilleklang - TRÄNEN DER VERGANGENHEIT Pt. II

▶︎ TRÄNEN DER VERGANGENHEIT Pt. II | STILLEKLANG | Crawling Chaos (bandcamp.com)

a2676155759_10.jpg

A little on the slower more "depressive" side of things for me. Not the worst way I've ever spent a little time in my life, but it did fail to leave much of an impression on me. I think I hear a little early My Dying Bride influence. Hits a little differently though.

Sindrome - Resurrection - The Complete Collection (2016)

Ahhhhh Sindrome... An American thrash band from Illinois, Sindrome had everything going for them: an original vocalist, well-wrought songwriting.

Unfortunately, after two demos and a single, the band split up.

Luckily, in 2016 Century Media Records decided to release this compilation featuring the demos Into the Halls of Extermination (1987), Vault of Inner Conscience (1992) and the single Astral Projection (1992).

It's always a pleasure to listen to this compilation, with its wealth of tracks.

Wrath - Nothing to Fear (1987)

23 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

It feels like arguing which is the better colour, orange or pumpkin... But History of a Time to Come is the best European thrash metal album of any period!

As I said when talking about Dreamweaver, this is my personal opinion. I wouldn't swap Dreamweaver for History of a Time to Come because I find Dreamweaver more accomplished and I love the album's theme, which is based on Brian Bates' novel The Way of Wyrd.

But it's true that there are more fans of the first album than the second.

I've noticed that I tend to put albums on a pedestal that other people wouldn't put.

If we're talking about Forbidden, the best album for most fans will always be Forbidden Evil, whereas for me it's Twisted into Form.

As for Dark Angel, Darkness Descends is more likely to be cited than other albums by the band, while my favourite is Time Does Not Heal.

I don't care, I'm right! 🤘🏻😜🤘🏻

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

It feels like arguing which is the better colour, orange or pumpkin... But History of a Time to Come is the best European thrash metal album of any period!

I guess this means the time has finally come for me to dive in and listen to these two albums so I can weigh in on this dispute. I know it must be hard to believe, but I've never messed with the UK Sabbat, I only have listening experience with the Japanese black metal Sabbat. I've seen your UK Sabbat come up in conversations countless times over years. But when I hear Andy Sneap and "concept album" I think no that's not something I'd enjoy. "Concept album" just makes me think of like Queensryche or some lame shit and that's not something I want to waste any time on. I'd rather just keep on scrolling. But here goes nuthin', I guess I'll start with Weaver. 

Alright well that was anti-climactic. It wasn't a bad album or anything, I thought it was pretty good. But the way people talk about these Sabbat albums I was expecting a real show-stopper. I was expecting Reign in Blood, Ride the Lightning, Taking Over and The New Order all rolled into one game-changing opus. But could be I set my expectations a bit too high.

It is impossible to experience a 35 year old album for the first time the same way as if it were 1989 again. But beyond that incontrovertible fact, I mean there weren't even really any particular standout songs or riffs, it all just sorta blended together, and the whole thing got a bit tedious by the end of the 44 minutes tbh.

Alrighty then, on to History of a Time to Come. More of the same, I don't hear much difference from this to the other album. A tad faster in spots maybe? Yeah, as the record goes on I think I'll have to choose this one over the other one, it's just the slightest bit more vicious.

I just realized that History was the first album and I played them out of order, so that could be why Weaver sounds maybe just a touch more refined to me. Not refined as in plastic sounding like Mr. Sneap would become known for in later years as a producer, just relative to the debut.

Alright well at least now I've got that out of the way, I've been meaning to listen to these two Sabbat albums for years. 

Not that anyone cares, but for the record, my old goat vote still goes to PtK for best Euro-thrash album ever, even though I can't stand anything else Kreator has ever done since then. Once Mille started singing on every track they've been dead to me.

51 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I agree with Sabbat and Forbidden but I can't give you Dark Angel because it should be Leave Scars. So as much as you are right, I'm righter!!

We'll see who's righter. Looks like my next task will be to listen to these 3 Dark Angel albums back to back to back and deliver my verdict. I've owned Darkness Descends since the 80's and have it in my library so I'll start with that one. Pretty sure I've heard at least some of the other two before but it's been some years. Nobody's chosen We Have Arrived as their fave so I can safely skip that one at least. 

Well I guess it’s time I give my two cents as well: Dreamweaver get my vote purely for the melody line in Clerical Conspiracy which always makes me think of the John Williams, Star Wars score for some reason. Apart from that, I find both albums interchangeable, I would probably listen to the Japanese Sabbat more often. Re Dark Angel I think darkness descends is probably the best work, time does not heal a close, second, but I never liked leave scars at all.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

We'll see who's righter. Looks like my next task will be to listen to these 3 Dark Angel albums back to back to back and deliver my verdict. I've owned Darkness Descends since the 80's and have it in my library so I'll start with that one. Pretty sure I've heard at least some of the other two before but it's been some years. Nobody's chosen We Have Arrived as their fave so I can safely skip that one at least. 

It's okay you don't have to put yourself through the trauma because i know I'm so much righter that I'm the rightest.

However in saying that I do think the song writing on Time Does Not Heal is better and Leave Scars is let down a little bit by the instrumental. But right is right and righter is righter so Leave Scars wins out.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Relative to the debut. Not refined at all as compared to the silly pretentious shit you listen to.

It's just not a word I expected you to use, but I don't own it.

You wouldn't be persuaded to listen to the first two Sabbat albums if your life depended on it, would you?

If that was literally true then I would, but nah.

Have you never enjoyed a thrash album not once in your entire life? Not even back in the 80's?

Not to my knowledge.

SAEVUS FINIS Facilis Descensus Averno. Fuck Latin.

ONDFØDT - Det Österbottniska Mörkret. Fuck Norwegian too.