What Are You Listening To?

khaos

18 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Werewolf Bloodorder - The Rebirth of the Night and the Fog, Brazil

Werewolf Bloodorder - Imperial Blood Order, EP Brazil

Lycanthropes are in this year, apparently. This is good news. I'll take werewolves over vampires any day. I suppose they're both a bit overused though. Come to think of it, it's been a while since we saw any real media presence around a flavor-of-the-month monster type at all. I'd nominate the Rakshasa, but I don't see Hindi mythologies finding a good fit into any western pantheon. Maybe go with central and south America and their suspiciously Brothers Grimm like stories with Imbunches (children kidnapped by witches stitched mute and turned into their lackeys). I mean there's a whole world of terrifying folklore out there.  

46 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Lycanthropes are in this year, apparently. This is good news. I'll take werewolves over vampires any day. I suppose they're both a bit overused though. Come to think of it, it's been a while since we saw any real media presence around a flavor-of-the-month monster type at all. I'd nominate the Rakshasa, but I don't see Hindi mythologies finding a good fit into any western pantheon. Maybe go with central and south America and their suspiciously Brothers Grimm like stories with Imbunches (children kidnapped by witches stitched mute and turned into their lackeys). I mean there's a whole world of terrifying folklore out there.  

I’ll take metal inspired by the Korean Kumiho…

NP: Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence

6 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

That's fair, they aren't my usual music I just thought I might have found something in them even if it wasn't ever going to be my favourite stuff. Maybe I haven't been in the right mood, maybe I haven't heard the right album but there's "Doc" music which I don't favour but can see some appeal, the same goes for "goat" music. But I haven't yet found that in BAN

Thing about Blut aus Nord is they have several different distinct sounds. They do these trilogies where they'll have 3 albums that go together as a series, but they don't necessarily release them all in a row, they'll jump around. They have the Memoria Vetusta trilogy, The Liber trilogy, the 777 Trilogy and now they're 2 albums into what I assume will eventually be the Disharmonium trilogy. They also have a whole bunch of other one-off standalone albums, EP's and splits.

My favorite of theirs is by far Hallucinogen from 2019 which I would probably consider to be their most accessible album. Lots of old school traditional metal inspired guitar leads throughout really make that album for me. Beware the handful of vocals are fairly buried in the mix, I'm not even sure if there are any actual lyrics, it could almost be considered an instrumental album. But it's so good.

The Memoria Vetusta series is the one I think some non black metal fans like you could maybe appreciate. It's not your standard filthy Satanic black metal it's more high-falutin or grandiose than that, it's even pretty at times, like a symphony. But not pretty like Deafheaven where you just want to puke, it just doesn't sound so dark evil like most of the black metal I go for. I would recommend MVII: Dialoge with the Stars from that series if you're interested in checking that out. But all 3 MV's are very good.

This latest Disharmonium series that FA's all aflutter over (he's been posting it fairly regularly) does absolutely nothing for me. But that's where FA's and my tastes diverge, we all know I don't go in for this dense, angular, purposely inaccessible, dissonant music like he does. I like more musical music that I can follow along with from the first go and don't have to work so hard to try to enjoy. Unless it's war metal or something and then the sheer brutality is kinda the whole point. But it still needs to have riffs I can folllow along with.

I like the 777 series to a point, but I can't say I love it. Betcha FA digs that trilogy the most. Don't think that'd be a good starting point for the band though.

Not as familiar with the Liber trillogy so I can't tell you which one of the three is the best. I think they're a bit more accessible than the 777's though, but not by much.

If you go all the way back to their first album Ultima Thulée from 1995 it sounds more like more typical black metal. That's my 2nd favorite of theirs. You probably wouldn't like it if you don't like most black metal. 

I also have to highlight their 4th album, The Work Which Transforms God 2003, it's kind of a dark industrial black metal masterpiece. That'd be my 3rd favorite of theirs. It goes off-kilter at times but not so much that I can't appreciate it. And the last song, the trancelike 10 minute Procession of the Dead Clowns is an absolute gem, I'll often listen to it 3 times in a row even though the album is already 52 minutes long. 

There's also the 5th album Mort from '06 which sounds somewhat similar to TWWTG. Same dark trancelike atmosphere, but yet different. They were experimenting here I think.

Shit I almost forgot their 2017 album Deus Salutis Meae. Another dark masterpiece. I was a few years late discovering this one but I do really enjoy it because it's so dark and doomy almost. I'll put this as my 4th favorire. 

All things considered they're probably not a band you'd be into as FA has already said, a lot of their stuff has an off-kilter feel to it like you spun around 5 times fast and now you can't walk straight. Or maybe legless like you've been on the piss all night, (even though I know you've said you've given up the amber fluid and chasing Shielas). But if you're really just curious and interested to see what they're all about or why all the fuss over them, there is enough there to warrant some investigation even for thick bastards like us. Although I'd be the first to admit I definitely have to be in the right mood for some of their albums. You can't really get a feel for them by just listening to any one of their albums. You'll need to sample at least 3 or 4. Just stay away from the Disharmoniums.

Blut Aus Nord - Hallucinogen

Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

Blut aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God

Blut aus Nord - Deus Salutis Meæ

4 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I’ll take metal inspired by the Korean Kumiho…

NP: Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence

Ah. Now that's an idea. That window might be closing quickly though since we got that Oldboy remake. I will never understand how people from the U.S. have so much trouble reading subtitles and sometimes won't even watch them unless they have dubbing or just a complete remake with U.S. actors. It's not even like you'd have to stretch that far to make some kind of anachronistic hybrid revival of the Lorelei myth.

NP: Cardinal's Folly - Live by the Sword

▶︎ Live By The Sword | Cardinals Folly (bandcamp.com)

a2138281120_10.jpg

Trad doom always seems to have the most polarizing clean vocals. I know a bunch of metalheads who refuse to listen to Pagan Altar because of Radigan's Nasally singing.  The guy who's singing on this album is doing it properly with decent enough diaphragm control. He's a dyed in the wool baritone though, and he strikes me as really grating for some reason. If you can move past it though this is fairly high quality trad doom.

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Thing about Blut aus Nord is they have several different distinct sounds. They do these trilogies where they'll have 3 albums that go together as a series, but they don't necessarily release them all in a row, they'll jump around. They have the Memoria Vetusta trilogy, The Liber trilogy, the 777 Trilogy and now they're 2 albums into what I assume will eventually be the Disharmonium trilogy. They also have a whole bunch of other one-off standalone albums, EP's and splits.

My favorite of theirs is by far Hallucinogen from 2019 which I would probably consider to be their most accessible album. Lots of old school traditional metal inspired guitar leads throughout really make that album for me. Beware the handful of vocals are fairly buried in the mix, I'm not even sure if there are any actual lyrics, it could almost be considered an instrumental album. But it's so good.

The Memoria Vetusta series is the one I think some non black metal fans like you could maybe appreciate. It's not your standard filthy Satanic black metal it's more high-falutin or grandiose than that, it's even pretty at times, like a symphony. But not pretty like Deafheaven where you just want to puke, it just doesn't sound so dark evil like most of the black metal I go for. I would recommend MVII: Dialoge with the Stars from that series if you're interested in checking that out. But all 3 MV's are very good.

This latest Disharmonium series that FA's all aflutter over (he's been posting it fairly regularly) does absolutely nothing for me. But that's where FA's and my tastes diverge, we all know I don't go in for this dense, angular, purposely inaccessible, dissonant music like he does. I like more musical music that I can follow along with from the first go and don't have to work so hard to try to enjoy. Unless it's war metal or something and then the sheer brutality is kinda the whole point. But it still needs to have riffs I can folllow along with.

I like the 777 series to a point, but I can't say I love it. Betcha FA digs that trilogy the most. Don't think that'd be a good starting point for the band though.

Not as familiar with the Liber trillogy so I can't tell you which one of the three is the best. I think they're a bit more accessible than the 777's though, but not by much.

If you go all the way back to their first album Ultima Thulée from 1995 it sounds more like more typical black metal. That's my 2nd favorite of theirs. You probably wouldn't like it if you don't like most black metal. 

I also have to highlight their 4th album, The Work Which Transforms God 2003, it's kind of a dark industrial black metal masterpiece. That'd be my 3rd favorite of theirs. It goes off-kilter at times but not so much that I can't appreciate it. And the last song, the trancelike 10 minute Procession of the Dead Clowns is an absolute gem, I'll often listen to it 3 times in a row even though the album is already 52 minutes long. 

There's also the 5th album Mort from '06 which sounds somewhat similar to TWWTG. Same dark trancelike atmosphere, but yet different. They were experimenting here I think.

Shit I almost forgot their 2017 album Deus Salutis Meae. Another dark masterpiece. I was a few years late discovering this one but I do really enjoy it because it's so dark and doomy almost. I'll put this as my 4th favorire. 

All things considered they're probably not a band you'd be into as FA has already said, a lot of their stuff has an off-kilter feel to it like you spun around 5 times fast and now you can't walk straight. Or maybe legless like you've been on the piss all night, (even though I know you've said you've given up the amber fluid and chasing Shielas). But if you're really just curious and interested to see what they're all about or why all the fuss over them, there is enough there to warrant some investigation even for thick bastards like us. Although I'd be the first to admit I definitely have to be in the right mood for some of their albums. You can't really get a feel for them by just listening to any one of their albums. You'll need to sample at least 3 or 4. Just stay away from the Disharmoniums.

Blut Aus Nord - Hallucinogen

Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

Blut aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God

Blut aus Nord - Deus Salutis Meæ

Aaahhh that's what I was looking for. Reasons. Ideas. Nothing is to my taste until such time as I find something that is and I hadn't found that in BAN up to now. I may still not become a fan but you've thrown up samples and ideas which I'll check out when I get some time.

8 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Ah. Now that's an idea. That window might be closing quickly though since we got that Oldboy remake. I will never understand how people from the U.S. have so much trouble reading subtitles and sometimes won't even watch them unless they have dubbing or just a complete remake with U.S. actors. It's not even like you'd have to stretch that far to make some kind of anachronistic hybrid revival of the Lorelei myth.

NP: Cardinal's Folly - Live by the Sword

▶︎ Live By The Sword | Cardinals Folly (bandcamp.com)

a2138281120_10.jpg

Trad doom always seems to have the most polarizing clean vocals. I know a bunch of metalheads who refuse to listen to Pagan Altar because of Radigan's Nasally singing.  The guy who's singing on this album is doing it properly with decent enough diaphragm control. He's a dyed in the wool baritone though, and he strikes me as really grating for some reason. If you can move past it though this is fairly high quality trad doom.

It’s tough for me because for all intents and purposes, my vision prohibits me from watching foreign language. Films any more, even if I think they are almost always superior to any western remakes of sent movies. I get your point, though we do tend to whitewash the myths and Legends of other cultures any time we produce media which involves them. 

NP: Necrophobic - Death to All

BRODER - Skarpretterfossilet

https://broder-dk.bandcamp.com/album/skarpretterfossilet

a2711644766_16.jpg

11 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I will never understand how people from the U.S. have so much trouble reading subtitles and sometimes won't even watch them unless they have dubbing or just a complete remake with U.S. actors.

Personally, I loathe dubs due to the often poor voice acting, and find U.S. remakes to generally be more miss than hit, but I think there's also an argument to be made that some ideas that make sense to one country just don't translate very well, and that some people do find it hard to follow the specifics of a story when they have to read along, even if they can follow the broad strokes of a plot

4 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

It’s tough for me because for all intents and purposes, my vision prohibits me from watching foreign language. Films any more, even if I think they are almost always superior to any western remakes of sent movies. I get your point, though we do tend to whitewash the myths and Legends of other cultures any time we produce media which involves them. 

NP: Necrophobic - Death to All

Yours is a case where you have a completely valid reason for using the languages options at your disposal. I was actually thinking when I was typing that post that it might come off as insensitive to someone like yourself. Just know I was in absolutely no way speaking about you when I remarked about the U.S. population's tendency to avoid subtitles. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered people who have absolutely no excuse or reason to avoid subtitles entirely. Actually it almost irks me more that cases like yours, which should by any reasonable measure create an incentive for finding improved accessibility and work-arounds, exist and have to be tested by the borderline illiterate mob making those incentives seem like a fools errand. It sucks, my man. You keep your chin up though, and don't be too weirded out that there's some random human metalhead in the midwest wishing you the best.

19 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Sure, look at the old testament.

One of Nine - Eternal Sorcery, USBM

Cult ov Black Blood - Apocalyptic Banner ov Abaddon, Poland

Hah. Old Testament god could be pretty brutal on more than a few occasions. A particular favorite is when they convinced an entire city of their enemies to join them in their covenant with God forcing the fully grown males to all get circumcised (which if you don't know, basically takes you completely out of commission for days of unspeakable pain if done to you as an adult), and ordered them to lay siege and slaughter to the city while their men were all in their weakened state. Doesn't get much more brutal than that.

Also that Cult Ov Black Blood is on point. I see Poland in conjunction with an homage to Beherit, I am almost guaranteed to like it.

Edited by Nasty_Cabbage
Added comment.

5 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Yours is a case where you have a completely valid reason for using the languages options at your disposal. I was actually thinking when I was typing that post that it might come off as insensitive to someone like yourself. Just know I was in absolutely no way speaking about you when I remarked about the U.S. population's tendency to avoid subtitles. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered people who have absolutely no excuse or reason to avoid subtitles entirely. Actually it almost irks me more that cases like yours, which should by any reasonable measure create an incentive for finding improved accessibility and work-arounds, exist and have to be tested by the borderline illiterate mob making those incentives seem like a fools errand. It sucks, my man. You keep your chin up though, and don't be too weirded out that there's some random human metalhead in the midwest wishing you the best.

Hah. Old Testament god could be pretty brutal on more than a few occasions. A particular favorite is when they convinced an entire city of their enemies to join them in their covenant with God forcing the fully grown males to all get circumcised (which if you don't know, basically takes you completely out of commission for days of unspeakable pain if done to you as an adult), and ordered them to lay siege and slaughter to the city while their men were all in their weakened state. Doesn't get much more brutal than that.

Also that Cult Ov Black Blood is on point. I see Poland in conjunction with an homage to Beherit, I am almost guaranteed to like it.

Don’t sweat it mate, if anything I could have worded my reply a little better. My original intention was to lament just how dreadful most remakes or dubs tend to be. Considering just how often I make self deprecating jokes about my site trust me when I say no one’s going to upset me with remarks like that.

NP: The Order of the Ebon Hand - The Mystic Path to the Netherworld

2 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

NP: The Order of the Ebon Hand - The Mystic Path to the Netherworld

Now there's a Jayke album for ya. We used to know the dude whose wife played live keyboards for them at some point. That guy used to recommend that album weekly it seemed like, to anyone who'd listen. I've got it, but I never really listen to it. One of these days.

Speaking of Thatguy, where the hell is Doc? He's been gone a whole month now. He usually mentions when they're gonna be going on one of their big trips. Maybe he just got tired of us ragging on his peculiar taste in music.

Graveland - Will Stronger Than Death,  2007

Graveland - Fire Chariot of Destruction, 2005

NP: Frogskin - III Into Disgust

▶︎ III - Into Disgust | Frogskin | Iron Corpse (bandcamp.com)

a4245903974_10.jpg

Sludgy as it gets. The close 'right next to your ear' sound really helps carry this one. Obvious influences from drone combined with a less Electric-Wizardy than expected sense of pace makes for an excellent cement and sorghum kind of album. It's probably not going to take this years sludge crown from Wallowing, but it's still very good, and really hits when you want that basement level production vibe that's almost inimitable.

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Now there's a Jayke album for ya. We used to know the dude whose wife played live keyboards for them at some point. That guy used to recommend that album weekly it seemed like, to anyone who'd listen. I've got it, but I never really listen to it. One of these days.

Speaking of Thatguy, where the hell is Doc? He's been gone a whole month now. He usually mentions when they're gonna be going on one of their big trips. Maybe he just got tired of us ragging on his peculiar taste in music.

Graveland - Will Stronger Than Death,  2007

Graveland - Fire Chariot of Destruction, 2005

It’s solid without being anything, I’d consider essential listening

NP: Ragnarok - Diabolical Conquest