What Are You Listening To?

khaos

8 hours ago, Dead1 said:

This would be cool to participate in but I don't use Last FM and am still stick on physical music land when not at work or in the car.

Could track it manually but man that would be a chore.

I had a look at my file server for top listened to albums, which only includes listening in the office/shed and the house and by the time I got to the top 50 more than half the albums weren't metal, or at best were borderline hard rock/metal. After that I decided to give up.

Had a brief exchange with our friend Navy a little while ago, I texted him to make sure he's alright since he hadn't posted here since February and I know he's had some personal family shit going on and work's been crazy as well. Since Sinead O'connor killed herself the other day (not officially ruled a suicice just speculating because she's tried in the past and no cause of death has been offered) that made me wonder how everyone I know might be doing. Anyway I caught the dude in Minneapolis on a work trip and he replied and assured me he's doing fine and told me to say hi to anyone here that might remember him. Also said he's just busy as fuck with work and home and stuff, he's not staying away intentionally, he just can't find time to squeeze in any forumming right now.

Formless Oedon - Streams of Rot, young osdm sounding band from the Philippines. Nice not having to listen to shit on my list after a week of mostly list related listening.

8 hours ago, Kristiko said:

Fear Factory - Obsolete (album)

Great album.  Just found out that it and many other famous Roadrunner albums are no longer in print on physical media.

Amazing that Roadrunner (parent company Warner) would let such albums rot despite metal heads being one of the few groups who still buy physical media.

Megadeth - The System Has Failed

GG I hope Navy will be alright.  I do miss him.

Also where is Mark these days?

12 hours ago, Dead1 said:

I definitely intend to spin it a few more tines to see if it is worth spending cash on CD/vinyl.

Speaknig of CD/vinyl had a rare Friday night without wife so I managed to crank a few of them.

Bolt Thrower - In Battle There Is No Law

Death - Scream Bloody Gore

Megadeth - Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good

Overkill - Under The Influence 

Powertrip - Manifest Decimation

This would be cool to participate in but I don't use Last FM and am still stick on physical music land when not at work or in the car.

Could track it manually but man that would be a chore.

I just played through "Congregation of Annihilation" twice more today, and I'm loving it more and more with each listen.  Mark's vocals are just fierce!

And I absolutely love every single album you just mentioned.  Fantastic collection, my friend!

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Great album.  Just found out that it and many other famous Roadrunner albums are no longer in print on physical media.

GG I hope Navy will be alright.  I do miss him.

Also where is Mark these days?

I believe in the summer months when he's not in school Mark has picked up a side gig running river kayak tours in various spots around the mid Atlantic, which I assume are selected based on the experience level of the customers. Every state is different but in the northeast and mid Atlantic school usually starts up again the first week of September most places, so I think in another month or so he'll probably be back to stopping by more often. Hopefully anyway. But even over the summer I have seen him pop in here once or twice a week and just give the horns to a post or two, and slip back out quietly without posting anything himself, or maybe he'll just drop one album in the WAYLT thread and then split, but he's still hanging around.

Lots of albums go OOP because they generally don't run off that many copies for these lesser known extreme metal bands (not saying FF falls into that category) because they don't want to pay for them to be made and then get stuck with them and have to pay tax on them. If there's enough demand for an album eventually someone will buy or lease the rights and put out a reissue and try to make some money with it.

Over the years there have been some fairly well known (within the underground) black and death metal albums that have gone oop and then sometimes many years have gone by without a reissue. It's all part of the underground game you sign up for when electing to pursue underground music. But I really think a lot of the kvlt collector types secretly enjoy the difficulty of tracking down some of these old oop albums because then it's a thrill when you land one you've been after for awhile.

I See Satan Fall Like Lightning - Set the Sky on Fire, atmo-black from Illinois.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Anyway I caught the dude in Minneapolis on a work trip and he replied and assured me he's doing fine and told me to say hi to anyone here that might remember him. Also said he's just busy as fuck with work and home and stuff, he's not staying away intentionally, he just can't find time to squeeze in any forumming right now.

Goddamn, same, I feel it in my bones. Miss Navy too. Say what's up from another absentee if you happen to think of it next time you talk to him.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Had a brief exchange with our friend Navy a little while ago

You are a good man. I miss him too.

DESKRYPTOR - Vortex Oblivion

KRODA - Selbswelt

CURSEBINDER - Drifting. Pick of the bunch.

And earlier - BEAR THE MAMMOTH - Purple Haus. This is not an album I would normally choose to listen to, but I subscribe to the 'Art As Catharsis' label that releases a real mix of stuff - probably their best act is HASHASHIN - and this is their latest release. This album is 'post rock' and, like most post-rock it was pretty bland stuff tarted up with electronics. It bore no resemblance to the black metal band FEN who are not post anything. Mate.

NP - WYRGHER - Panspermic Warlords. It's OK. I'm not going to buy it.

GG thanks for update on Mark.  

With regards to Roadrunner, Warner seems to be slowly strangling them.  Their current roster is less than 12 bands!  

Shame as for all their faults they are responsible for releasing a lot ofclassic metal albums and had a huge impact on the genre.

Hellbastard - Natural Order

Apparently these guys invented the terms crust but this album is pure thrash metal for most part that could easily sit alongside later Razor, Acid Reign, Sacred Reich, Forced Entry, Exhorder etc.

And a great album to boot.

Hellbastard - Ripper Crust demo, 1986 Newcastle UK. Hellbastard, Amebix, Axegrinder, Sacrelige, these are the UK bands that started playing what became known as the crust genre. 

Axegrinder - Rise of the Serpent Men, 1989 UK crust

Sacrilege- Behind the Realms of Madness, UK crust 1985

Antisect - In Darkness There Is No Choice, UK 1983. This one sounds a lot like 80's Discharge still because it was only '83, but you could hear the extreme metal elements starting to creep in already, even before extreme metal was even a thing. So really the metal guys and the punks were all kinda working on inventing extreme metal concurrently and for at least the first half of the 80's the heaviest bands were from the punk side of the aisle.

Deviated Instinct - Terminal Filth Stench-Core demo 1986

40 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This album is 'post rock' and, like most post-rock it was pretty bland stuff tarted up with electronics. It bore no resemblance to the black metal band FEN who are not post anything. Mate.

Whatever you need to tell yourself to get to sleep at night Doc. You can call them jazz, call them new wave, call them R&B, call them opera if it makes you happy. Doesn't matter one iota to me bruv because in my world they're still post-metal and I don't listen to them anyway. Mate. But you can.

You know I listened to and posted an album tonight that was tagged post-metal. Sounded like atmo-black to me so that's what I called it, but I'm just saying it's not the end of the world my dude, you can listen to post-metal and stil be in the cool kids club.

But regardless I do hope your $1 London Symhony samples album is selling briskly. I had a listen, some of it was interesting, I didn't hate it. I believe it was the Boundless Light track off the Crows Looking Up album was the one that I liked the most of the 4 or 5 I tried.

Nice post GG.

Of course some of those bands like Hellbastard and Sacrilege evolved to be pure thrash metal bands with no punk left.

Same happened to a few American bands - DRI and Agnostic Front as well as original UK hardcore bands like Exploited etc.

(And as much as you probably hate to admit it, all those newer American bands like Darkest Hour and Lamb Of God whoch all started out of hardcore scene but became melodic death metal or groove metal or whatever).

From what I have read a lot of these guys became more metal because metal allowed more musical sophistication and artistic scope unlike hardcore which is far more limited (though I suspect metal's popularity might have been a factor too).

Mere Mortal - Taratarus

Crusty thrash metal that takes influence from whole 1980s UK extreme metal scene - from Discharge to Hellbastard to Onslaught to Bolt Thrower.

22 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

But regardless I do hope your $1 London Symhony samples album is selling briskly. I had a listen, some of it was interesting, I didn't hate it. I believe it was the Boundless Light track off the Crows Looking Up album was the one that I liked the most of the 4 or 5 I tried.

Yeah. I'm going to be rich beyond my wildest dreams...

17 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Nice post GG.

Of course some of those bands like Hellbastard and Sacrilege evolved to be pure thrash metal bands with no punk left.

Same happened to a few American bands - DRI and Agnostic Front as well as original UK hardcore bands like Exploited etc.

(And as much as you probably hate to admit it, all those newer American bands like Darkest Hour and Lamb Of God whoch all started out of hardcore scene but became melodic death metal or groove metal or whatever).

From what I have read a lot of these guys became more metal because metal allowed more musical sophistication and artistic scope unlike hardcore which is far more limited (though I suspect metal's popularity might have been a factor too).

Mere Mortal - Taratarus

Crusty thrash metal that takes influence from whole 1980s UK extreme metal scene - from Discharge to Hellbastard to Onslaught to Bolt Thrower.

A lot of punk oriented bands took to playing a somewhat more metallic style once they learned how to play their instruments a bit better and had cranked out a few albums. Because as limiting as metal sub-genres can be, punk sub-genres can be even more limiting. Even the mighty Napalm Death copped a lot of flak for essentially playing death metal for awhile in the 90's as did ENT. So funny to go on the Youtube videos for some of the later Discharge and Expoited albums and see everyone bitching about how their beloved hardcore punks had 'sold-out' and become dirty metal bands. And I get it because certainly metal is more commercially viable, but I just think when punk bands learn to play a little better what comes out just naturally sounds more like metal. That Natural Order album you posted for instance is a perfect example, it sounds about 90% thrash metal and only maybe 10% punk left in the vocals mostly. But that's true of basically all the rougher sounding thrash bands from back in the day (i.e. not the bay area bands) even the ones that never started as true punk bands there was still a fair bit of punk in their sound. Look at Onslaught's Power From Hell, it's generally considered a metal album but to me it sounds almost exactly like a clone of the first Discharge full length, HNSNSN. So is it metal or is it punk or is it both? Metal and punk really have been inextricably intertwined and influencing and feeding off each other since the very beginning.

I never heard Darkest Hour or Log until they had already shed most of the punk from their sounds. DH, now there's a name I haven't thought of in forever.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Metal and punk really have been inextricably intertwined and influencing and feeding off each other since the very beginning.

It's been a steady drop for me into both worlds when Darkthrone started playing that crust style black metal. It was "Darkthrones and black flags" that I hated so much when it came out. Two years later somebody on the internet showed me Doom and that's where the punk world really opened up. D.i.y don't give a shit -attitude brings a whole new element to listening experience. That attitude dropped me even further into funeral doom, drone and shit like that and recently the same attitude dropped me further into noise and what else that initially sounds like total carnage and the attitude is more of finding some kind of structure to whatever it is you are doing with your "instruments."

Hellfire deathcult - Al nombre de la muerte

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Did you have to pay to license the London Symphony samples? How did that work? You might not make your money back.

The samples are integral to the notation software I use and can be used as long as their use is credited.

I'm not going to make any money and that's not the point, of course. I just wanted to put the music out there. The point of writing the music was partly intellectual stimulation - conceiving and scoring a 12 tone symphony exercises the brain - but mainly I just wanted to hear music that no one has heard before and I wanted to share it.