What Are You Listening To?

khaos

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Not a full house, but you drew 5 of a kind which beats a full house every time! For whatever reason I've never spent much time with Bethlehem or bought any of their albums. Might have been a vocals issue, but I can't even quite remember what they sound like to be honest.

GG top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

52. Chapel of Disease - Summoning Black Gods, Cologne Germany. According to M-A apparently they're 'on hold' for now, but it doesn't matter I guess because they changed styles dramatically after this 2012 monster of a debut album. This could be my favorite old school sounding death metal album by a young band in the 2010's. I still like the other two records with their retro 70's/80's sounding solos but not nearly as much as this one.

51. Undergang  - Misantropologi, Denmark (455) It was either gonna be this or the debut. I found this video first.

I dig Bethlehem, but imo it’s only their first two albums that are worth hearing. Vocals aren’t supposed to sound tortured. I’m sure, but most of the time they are just grating.

Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation

17 minutes ago, Serpentboi1992 said:

a2120629858_10.jpg

grindzilla were a great but short lived band

I mean what's not to love about slum raptors on a drunken rampage through zombie turf?

NP: Shall Suffer the Eclipse - s/t

▶︎ Shall Suffer The Eclipse | SHALL SUFFER THE ECLIPSE | CIANETO (bandcamp.com)

a0957916228_10.jpg

This band name really bugs me. You couldn't cut one word from it? Really? It's not like Shall Suffer, Suffer the Eclipse, The Eclipse, Ecliptic Suffering, Shall Eclipse, Sufferer's Eclipse or fucking anything else would sound less metalcore-ish. It's almost made worse by the fact this is a one man band, so the guy either didn't ask literally anybody else for input on the name, or he did ask and when they gave the only advice anybody would give ("It's too long, dude.") he got all pissy and stuck with it anyway. It sucks because the music is honestly not too bad, but the name is irritating me enough to color my opinion of it.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

So here's what I think. CBS and the GG are actually the same person and this whole squoggle thing is a way for the GG to establish the supremacy of his taste and of Finland.

You're onto me my friend. I'm also Luxi the kiwi carnivore, and that Christian kid Rexorcist who came by last year and made a thread to post his top 100 pussy-ass symphonic and prog "materworks" of all time "movieforums style" whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean. I was also that Eastern European gypsy girl Daiena who put a death curse on my head via PM the day she got banned. I've a few more sock puppet accounts as well but I don't want to give all my secrets away at this time so mum's the word mate.

But you admit that I do have some supremely good motherfucking taste though, eh Doc?

Just came in from mowing the front half of the lawn for the last two hours, but I had to come back inside to post my next installment of my top 200 Super Ultra Supreme Metal Masterworks just for you Doc. Someone say Finland?

Finland World Flags - Nylon & Polyester - 2' x 3' to 5' x 8' | US Flag Store

47. Sielunvihollinen - Hautaruhtinas, Finland

48. Kêres - Ice, Vapor & Crooked Arrows, Finland

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Shall Suffer the Eclipse - S/T

This band name really bugs me. 

Why would you even click on that dude? What is it, shoegaze post-metal or something?

10 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

You've got a better memory than me to remember those people and what they did. The names kind of ring a bell and I think I remember disagreeing with Rex once but I couldn't remember anything else about them. Shit, I forget about you when I'm not here reading posts.

I had to go find that Top 100 Metal Masterworks thread to remember the kid's name (he changed it a few times in his brief tenure here) and then I had to look up that pm to remember her name as well. I knew Luxi's name (even though I forget what he changed it to when we came here) because he was on the old forum with me and Doc and Marky Mark, and he's one of my stalkers, or he was until recently anyway.

30 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I had to go find that Top 100 Metal Masterworks thread to remember the kid's name (he changed it a few times in his brief tenure here) and then I had to look up that pm to remember her name as well. I knew Luxi's name (even though I forget what he changed it to when we came here) because he was on the old forum with me and Doc and Marky Mark, and he's one of my stalkers, or he was until recently anyway.

I still say your memory is pretty good, I’d completely forgotten about that Rex guy, a little peek behind the curtain here generally, the only time I remember dropping the mighty hammer of banning it’s because the unfortunate soul on the receiving end, made a duplicate account.

Evoken - Quietus

49 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Why would you even click on that dude? What is it, shoegaze post-metal or something?

Not shoegaze or post rock/metal, and the stable of other bands on that label was enough to tell me it wasn't anything that ended in 'core'. Mainly non-bluesy doom tonality with a heavy focus on the folksier side of things and song lengths that take their sweet time getting where they want to go. Think of Windir with lots of organic sounding atmospherics and a later Drudkh sort of approach and you're somewhere in the neighborhood. I can appreciate it because the atmosphere elements are generally all played on actual unsimulated instruments (or if simulated, at least done so carefully with quality effects) with no bleepity-bloop keyboards lazily holding pattern folksy chord progressions in the back of everything.

NP: Ageless Summoning - Corrupting the Entempled Plane

▶︎ Corrupting the Entempled Plane | Ageless Summoning | Dark Descent Records (bandcamp.com)

a3596234708_10.jpg

Here we go. The band members openly state they want to sound like Gateways... era Morbid Angel and early Immolation, and they get it right. Unoriginal? Sure. Bad? Absolutely not. Impeccably realized and whole for a debut. 

On 7/23/2023 at 9:46 PM, Nasty_Cabbage said:

One of my bad habits as a music fan is tending to skip over a band if I see they don't have any full lengths. I think search functions on various sites have led me to not waste my time haunting the bowels of the internet from 1990 that never ended up on a full length. It saves me time, but with black metal it can be really frustrating just because there's so many 'essential' black metal demos out there. This is death metal, though, it would seem and pretty heavy for the time it was made, and it seems to be positively reviewed by almost anyone who's heard it. See, this is the type of stuff I end up missing. Too bad they never made a full length though.

I'm the same way to some extent, I've heard some really cool death metal demos over the years but I've never felt the need to track them all down and own them. But Musta Seremonia with the awesome full color cover I've always thought of as essentially a full-length album. Same with Imprecation, their first album from '95 Theurgia Goetia Summa was actually a compilation of their first 3 demos, but to me it's always been just their first album. And you know honestly a lot of early 90's black and death metal bands were on such a low budget that their first official full lengths were essentially just glorified demos anyway. So to me the lines between albums and demos have really blurred and I don't pay any attention to what's an album and what's a demo, I just consider that a meaningless distinction. Especially nowadays when so many bands choose the option to self-release, bands don't need to spend big money on producers and studio time anymore to put out a professional sounding product like they did 30+ years ago.

44. Monster Magnet - Monolithic Baby! New Jersey (500) Man it's not easy finding a video of a complete MM album. This was like my 3rd or probably 4th choice because none of the A&M Records albums (up through 2000's God Says No) are up on Youtube. But this is still a great album. To me anyway. When I just wanna rock.

43. Cadaveric Incubator - Nightmare Necropolis, Finland (506) These guys only have two albums (and a bunch of splits which I mostly haven't heard) but I listen to the two albums a lot, I've become a bit of a CI fanatic.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:
7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

So here's what I think. CBS and the GG are actually the same person and this whole squoggle thing is a way for the GG to establish the supremacy of his taste and of Finland.

Expand  

You're onto me my friend. I'm also Luxi the kiwi carnivore, and that Christian kid Rexorcist who came by last year and made a thread to post his top 100 pussy-ass symphonic and prog "materworks" of all time "movieforums style" whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean. I was also that Eastern European gypsy girl Daiena who put a death curse on my head via PM the day she got banned. I've a few more sock puppet accounts as well but I don't want to give all my secrets away at this time so mum's the word mate.

But you admit that I do have some supremely good motherfucking taste though, eh Doc?

conspiracy theories are spreading apparently.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:
On 7/24/2023 at 4:46 AM, Nasty_Cabbage said:

One of my bad habits as a music fan is tending to skip over a band if I see they don't have any full lengths. I think search functions on various sites have led me to not waste my time haunting the bowels of the internet from 1990 that never ended up on a full length. It saves me time, but with black metal it can be really frustrating just because there's so many 'essential' black metal demos out there. This is death metal, though, it would seem and pretty heavy for the time it was made, and it seems to be positively reviewed by almost anyone who's heard it. See, this is the type of stuff I end up missing. Too bad they never made a full length though.

I'm the same way to some extent, I've heard some really cool death metal demos over the years but I've never felt the need to track them all down and own them. But Musta Seremonia with the awesome full color cover I've always thought of as essentially a full-length album. Same with Imprecation, their first album from '95 Theurgia Goetia Summa was actually a compilation of their first 3 demos, but to me it's always been just their first album. And you know honestly a lot of early 90's black and death metal bands were on such a low budget that their first official full lengths were essentially just glorified demos anyway. So to me the lines between albums and demos have really blurred and I don't pay any attention to what's an album and what's a demo, I just consider that a meaningless distinction. Especially nowadays when so many bands choose the option to self-release, bands don't need to spend big money on producers and studio time anymore to put out a professional sounding product like they did 30+ years ago.

Yeah, I don't skip the demos, ep's or splits. It's all the same these days when you don't have to walk to record store and back home to find out is it good or not.

---

30. Cauldron black ram - Skulduggery

29. Moonsorrow - Jumalten aika

28. Napalm death - Utopia banished

27. Abhorrence - Completely vulgar

Example of demo-compilation, works like a full-length.

26. Dead congregation - Promulgation of the fall

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Suffer in yer jocks, chodes.

Go right ahead.

---

CBS's top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM 

25. Ocultan -  Quintessence

High recommend.

24. Revenge - Triumph.genocide.antichrist

23. Immortal - Battles in the north

22. Mortuary drape - Secret sudaria

21. Grave - You'll never see