What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Erhu player receives Royal College of Music degree | Article | The Strad

Never heard of an erhu before. 

GG top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

Only 60 more to go, maybe 3 days, you can deal with it it Doc. And seriously we're just posting metal albums like we all do every day here. What's the difference if they're scrobble inspired selections or just random albums?

62. Craft - Terror Propaganda, Sweden. I was a late comer to this band, something about them just didn't sit right with me for a long time. Then few years ago something clcked and everything fell into place, now I really dig them.

61. Ordinance - In Purge There is No Remission, Finland  (430)  Can't think of too many better black metal albums than this over the last few years. I really loved their first album, but this 2nd one exceeded all expectations. A bona fide riff extravaganza.

14 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Only 60 more to go, maybe 3 days, you can deal with it it Doc. And seriously we're just posting metal albums like we all do every day here. What's the difference if they're scrobble inspired selections or just random albums?

I'm only heckling because why not?

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I'm only heckling because why not?

You're just jealous because you don't have a Scrobbler. And if you did then we'd know you're not a metalhead you're a xylophone player. Good idea to keep the striker tethered to the instrument like that, you wouldn't want to lose it and have to use your wife's kitchen utensils like her good wooden spoon or something.

Fisher Price Original Classic Xylophone, Colour Pull Toy with Music and  Sounds! : Amazon.in: Toys & Games

Or maybe it was the saxophone you said you played, can't remember but I'm pretty sure it was one of those "phone" instruments.

4 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

others it feels like there's an unusual amount of metal musicians that die that way. I guess it makes

Not a surprise really.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

yelled out "Play faster!!" which got a good laugh from all in attendance. The band probably didn't appreciate it too much though.

American band. Probably did get offended, hehe.

---

CBS's top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

61. Esoteric - The Pernicious enigma

60. Lamb of god - New american gospel

59. Agalloch - The Mantle

58. Paysage d'hiver - Paysage d'Hiver

57. Arckanum - Fran Marder

One of my first touches to black metal was when I saw video of Arckanum - Gava fran trulen. Everyone else in the school laughed at it. I found it interesting and peculiar.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Takezo - Waste of Consciousness, sludge/doom metal from where else, Kuopio Finland.

Saw another band called Betelzeus. They played in this little club with their basic disco lights and little bit of fog. That was a fun one.

---

56. Judas priest - Sin after sin

55. Ildjarn - Strength and anger

54. Acid bath - When the kite string pops

53. Behemoth - Demigod

52. Necromantia - Crossing the fiery path

51. Deströyer 666 - Unchain the wolves

Thanks GG for saving this one. I don't understand what I am missing in Defiance.

50. Possessed - Seven churches

Going to see them first time in a few weeks.

49. Immolation - Failures for gods

48. Entombed - Wolverine blues

47. Mörk gryning - Maelstrom chaos This band is the equivalent of Dissection to me. Sometimes goes a bit too far with keyboards, but otherwise great stuff without sounding like a doppelganger.

NP: Wesele - Fin de Siecle

▶︎ WESELE - "Fin de siècle" | Odium Records (bandcamp.com)

a2508278930_10.jpg

Excellent. I'm going to have to read up on the supposed "Młoda Polska" movement that supposedly inspired this, but just at face value it's mid-paced riff-based black metal that holds its song lengths in check. Very nice.

16 minutes ago, CumBloodSucker said:

49. Immolation - Failures for gods

Nice choice. It's not like you can really go wrong with Immolation even though Kingdom of Conspiracy was a little blah for me. If I were forced to choose a favorite, it'd be Here In After.

59 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

If I were forced to choose a favorite, it'd be Here In After.

Yeah, one of the first three like with most bands. I tend to play Failure for gods the most. I haven't even heard anything after Majesty and decay actually.

---

46. Archgoat - Heavenly vulva

My favorite is Whore of bethlehem, but I just know it's His too so I'll save the honours. I go for the EP. Hail the mighty Goats!

45. Bolt thrower - IVth crusade

44. Nåstrond - Toteslaut

43. Anal cunt - Everyone should be killed

Fuck yeah.

42. Suffocation - Pierced from within

Soon down there...

1 hour ago, CumBloodSucker said:

51. Deströyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves

Thanks GG for saving this one. I don't understand what I am missing in Defiance.

Ole hyvä! Love Unchain the Wolves, just listened to it the other night before we even started this squoggle shit. I have the white wolf album cover shirt. I enjoy all their albums up through Defiance which of course is my favorite. Everyone shits on that one, and I have no idea why. I've always assumed it was the production, but they've never been known for stellar production on any of their other albums so maybe that's not it. So I don't know, but in any event they do, and I'm used to it by now. 

Shit you've been busy while I was sleeping, you're up to #47 already. I'd better get my ass in gear. You've posted another album I don't have, Mörk Gryning, so I guess I should check them out. Dissection with frooty keys, eh?

60. Blut aus Nord -  Hallucinogen, France

59. Varulv - Wolfszorn, Austria  (440)

25 minutes ago, CumBloodSucker said:

46. Archgoat - Heavenly Vulva

My favorite is Whore of Bethlehem, but I just know it's His too so I'll save the honours. I go for the EP. Hail the mighty Goats!

Kiitos vielä kerran Mr Turku! Yes you know Whore is my favorite, although now that I've gotten used to the cleaner production I really fucking like all of the last three as well and I play them all a lot which is why they're my #5 band on this list. Was fortunate to see them play live when I lived in Denver and they're unquestionably my favorite Finnish band. I would go see them every weekend if I could.

You also left me my favorite Bolt Thrower, For Victory, so kiitos for that as well.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

unquestionably my favorite Finnish band. I would go see them every weekend if I could.

Archgoat are like in every black metal event possible up here. That's why I don't feel spinning their albums that much. Other one is Horna. If some foreign band is canceling their show Horna is there to replace them quaranteed.

I don't shit on Defiance. It just isn't as inviting as the older albums, but maybe I'll have to check it out again some time. You're not only one I know who says it's their favorite.

---

I'm going to drop it to 30 today!

top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

41. Emperor - Emperor EP

Better versions of the songs I am the black wizards and Cosmic keys...

40. My dying bride - Like gods of the sun

39. Carcass - Symphonies of sickness

38. Nile - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka

37. Cannibal corpse - Tomb of the mutilated

My favorite death metal album if anyone hasn't already figured it from my username.

1 hour ago, CumBloodSucker said:

Archgoat are like in every black metal event possible up here. That's why I don't feel spinning their albums that much. Other one is Horna. If some foreign band is canceling their show Horna is there to replace them guaranteed.

I don't shit on Defiance. It just isn't as inviting as the older albums, but maybe I'll have to check it out again some time. You're not only one I know who says it's their favorite.

---

I'm going to drop it to 30 today!

41. Emperor - Emperor EP

40. My Dying Bride - Like gods of the Sun

39. Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness

38. Nile - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka

37. Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated

My favorite death metal album if anyone hasn't already figured it from my username. 

Horna is my #7 band haha. But that's mostly because they have so many god damned albums out. I've never had the pleasure of seeing them live. A lot of these European bm bands don't manage to get over here to the states much. But that's OK I guess because I think the corpsepaint and all that nonsense is pretty stupid and I don't need to meet all these dudes in person and give them handies, listening to the records is enough for me. And I hate when I see all these Finnish dudes in interviews on the Rauta Youtube channel and they turn out to be big dorks, like the dudes from Azazel and Azaghal. I still love their music, but I prefer to imagine them as badass metal motherfuckers and not chubby little nerds. The Archgoat interview with Ritual Butcherer was the best one though when they were tasting the craft beers. He's not a dweeb at least. The Blood Chalice episode was good too when they were in town for a show and stopped by Rauta's place to do some power lifting. They're meatheads, but it was hilarious. Great band too, although they don't have enough albums yet to make my list.

In an unforseen plot twist you've just posted 5 bands I don't care about or ever really listen to. None of them will be appearing on my list. In fact I think the only one of those 5 albums I can say for sure that I've ever heard is Symphonies of Sickness. I do own something from each of them, just not those 5 particular albums. (except Symphonies, but I almost never listen to Carcass)

56. Solitude Aeturnus  - Through the Darkest Hour, Dallas TX. Most of this band's scrobbles are for this album, I don't like any of their other albums nearly as much as this one. I could listen to this one anytime.

55. Dorthia Cottrell - S/T  (450) I listened to this album on repeat all day long every single day for about 6 months after my wife died in 2017. Didn't listen to much metal at all during that time aside from a little doom metal in the evenings sometimes. But a lot of the plays for this album were through my phone and bluetooth speaker in the kitchen as I paced a circular route through the kitchen-dining room-living room and so they didn't get scrobbled, otherwise this one would have another couple thousand scrobbles on top of the 450 and probably 100 miles walked as well.

54. Black Mass Pervertor - Phanerosis, Finland. Have a bunch of their albums but this debut is the only one I truly love.

53. Armagedda - Ond Spiritism: Djaefvvlens Skalder Anno Serpenti MMIV, Sweden (453) You snatched my Only True Believers so this is my 2nd choice.

45 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Horna is my #7 band haha. But that's mostly because they have so many god damned albums out. I've never had the pleasure of seeing them live. A lot of these European bm bands don't manage to get over here to the states much. But that's OK I guess because I think the corpsepaint and all that nonsense is pretty stupid and I don't need to meet all these dudes in person and give them handies, listening to the records is enough for me. And I hate when I see all these Finnish dudes in interviews on the Rauta Youtube channel and they turn out to be big dorks, like the dudes from Azazel and Azaghal. I still love their music, but I prefer to imagine them as badass metal motherfuckers and not chubby little nerds. The Archgoat interview with Ritual Butcherer was the best one though when they were tasting the craft beers. He's not a dweeb at least. The Blood Chalice episode was good too when they were in town for a show and stopped by Rauta's place to do some power lifting. They're meatheads, but it was hilarious. Great band too, although they don't have enough albums yet to make my list.

In an unforseen plot twist you've just posted 5 bands I don't care about or ever really listen to. None of them will be appearing on my list. In fact I think the only one of those 5 albums I can say for sure that I've ever heard is Symphonies of Sickness. I do own something from each of them, just not those 5 particular albums. (except Symphonies, but I almost never listen to Carcass)

56. Solitude Aeturnus  - Through the Darkest Hour, Dallas TX. Most of this band's scrobbles are for this album, I don't like any of their other albums nearly as much as this one. I could listen to this one anytime.

55. Dorthia Cottrell - S/T  (450) I listened to this album on repeat all day long every single day for about 6 months after my wife died in 2017. Didn't listen to much metal at all during that time aside from a little doom metal in the evenings sometimes. But a lot of the plays for this album were through my phone and bluetooth speaker in the kitchen as I paced a circular route through the kitchen-dining room-living room and so they didn't get scrobbled, otherwise this one would have another couple thousand scrobbles on top of the 450 and probably 100 miles walked as well.

Oh I don't even watch Rauta interviews. I just can't. And Azaghal and Azazel are probably the drunkest bands of all the finnish bm bands. And live shows look even more stupid without the corpsepaint. I wasn't there but Pest played at Steelfest looking like some ska-punk band this year.

Haha, Can't draw a full house everytime, can I? Let see if the trend continues..

Can't blame you. When losing someone dear last thing on the mind is to hear gutturals blasting through the eardrums all night. Sorry for your loss. I would die a million times myself rather than experience the death of my wife or kids.

---

Time to hit 30

36. Repulsion - Horrified

35. Motörhead - Motörhead

34. Bethlehem - Sardonischer Untergang im Zeichen irreligiöser Darbietung

33. Celtic frost - Morbid tales

32. Horna - Hiidentorni

Original love and my most played album is Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne and it has one of the best vocals ever from Corvus, but Hiidentorni deserves attention aswell from earlier era.

31. Slayer - Hell awaits

Not a full house, but you drew 5 of a kind which beats a full house every time! For whatever reason I've never spent much time with Bethlehem or bought any of their albums. Might have been a vocals issue, but I can't even quite remember what they sound like to be honest.

52. Chapel of Disease - Summoning Black Gods, Cologne Germany. According to M-A apparently they're 'on hold' for now, but it doesn't matter I guess because they changed styles dramatically after this 2012 monster of a debut album. This could be my favorite old school sounding death metal album by a young band in the 2010's. I still like the other two records with their retro 70's/80's sounding solos but not nearly as much as this one.

51. Undergang  - Misantropologi, Denmark (455) It was either gonna be this or the debut. I found this video first.