What Are You Listening To?

khaos

27 minutes ago, agamerwholovesmetal said:

Inspired by thrash metal and traditional heavy metal, groove metal features raspy singing and screaming, down-tuned guitars, heavy guitar riffs, and syncopated rhythms. Unlike thrash metal, groove metal is usually slower and also uses elements of traditional heavy metal.

Thanks, and not meaning to be sarcastic at all, I am none the wiser. That sounds like a description of, well, metal.

3 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Groove is in the heart

Anthrax and Pantera are the only two bands I've really heard named so. I was surprised when I first heard Anthrax was groove metal but having not really followed their music since the 90's I have no idea.

I've heard just a little bit of their post 1993 SoWN output, a song here and a song there, and yeah their shit grooves. But like Doc said all bands groove. Their old shit grooved to as did my boys Overkill. Point is eveything that grooves is not "groove metal." But I guess it can be if you really want it to.

Anthrax - Refuse to Be Denied, 2003, here's one from 20 years ago that I remember grooves pretty hard.

Anthrax - Black Dahlia

Anthrax - Fueled, 1995, another groovy one from 28 years ago. I actually kinda like some of these tunes but I stopped buying 'Thrax albums after White Noise so I've never heard these records in their entirety.

Groove is in the Heart, what is dis Dee-Lite nonsense? Why you make me do dis?

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Thanks, and not meaning to be sarcastic at all, I am none the wiser. That sounds like a description of, well, metal.

yeah that's what I was thinking when I read it. I mean if the only difference between this and thrash is that groove metal is that it's a little "slower and heavier" then just call it thrash! there are just too many sub-genres in metal with only minor differences from each other.

16 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Exactly! It's when they don't quite know what label to slap on something generic or something that doesn't seem to fit perfectly into the genre they want it to be they go with groove metal or prog metal. I always saw groove metal as a pejorative term leveled at aging thrash bands in the 90's who weren't thrashing so hard anymore, or maybe they incorporated some outside infuences. I'd be alright with "groove thrash" or "groove death" as sub-genres maybe but not just "groove metal."

Overkill - Save Me, 1997, this is still thrash metal I don't care what anyone says. Except at my house it'll always be blood metal.

Overkill - World of Hurt, 1993. This one doesn't thrash too much but it's still a great fucking heavy metal song with a cool solo.

2 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Because it jumped into my head so I thought I'd annoy someone else with it.

I've heard the song before and was familiar with the vocal melody, but I never really picked up on what words she was singing. I'm really not a lyrics guy, and I don't even bother to learn the names of songs on a lot of albums I love and listen to regularly. Dat song is not stuck in my head thank fuck, but I can't shake dis stupeed little accent I'm speeking in now for some reason.

32 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I've heard the song before and was familiar with the vocal melody, but I never really picked up on what words she was singing. I'm really not a lyrics guy, and I don't even bother to learn the names of songs on a lot of albums I love and listen to regularly. Dat song is not stuck in my head thank fuck, but I can't shake dis stupeed little accent I'm speeking in now for some reason.

My problem is that I spent too many years in a truck with only an AM radio and as bad as Australian AM radio was it was better than silence. I don't remember half the songs they played but every now and again something will remind me of one of those songs. It might only be a few words spoken, as Doc did, but it's fucking annoying because most of the time I don't remember much of the song. That Groove is in the heart song is a prime example, I couldn't have said who sung it or any of the words but the reminder was there.

I have probably actively sought and looked up that Groove Is In the Heart business half a human centipillion times just because every once in a while I'll hear it in a movie or some in-house Applebees approved playlist and I'll think "Oh yeah. I used to know who did this song.", and it won't let me loose until I find it. Every time, though, the syllable combination of Dee-Lite retains for about thirty seconds before it slips away like mercury through the cellular walls of my brain and back into my bloodstream taking a piece of my cognitive function with it. I don't know why.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Overkill - Save Me, 1997, this is still thrash metal I don't care what anyone says. Except at my house it'll always be blood metal.

Overkill - World of Hurt, 1993. This one doesn't thrash too much but it's still a great fucking heavy metal song with a cool solo.

I have never been happier to be in actual mortal peril than when I was seeing Overkill live. Blood metal is a  fitting designation. I was about 23, and after that show the entire top half of my right arm was a single massive bruise that looked like severe amputation necessitating vein blackened frostbite.

10 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

My problem is that I spent too many years in a truck with only an AM radio and as bad as Australian AM radio was it was better than silence. I don't remember half the songs they played but every now and again something will remind me of one of those songs. It might only be a few words spoken, as Doc did, but it's fucking annoying because most of the time I don't remember much of the song. That Groove is in the heart song is a prime example, I couldn't have said who sung it or any of the words but the reminder was there.

That's just no good at all. If it wasn't your own truck and you couldn't put some sort of a stereo in it then I would've gotten a Walkman and cassettes or CD's depending on what year we're talking about. Because I'm not willing to spending days or weeks on end on the road 24/7 with no music. Don't know what Aussie AM radio was like in the 90's (or whichever decade we're talking about here) but if it's anything like American AM radio I would prefer the silence. Or maybe I'd just start talking or singing to myself all day until I slowly went insane.

AM radio was actually a thing when I was a little kid, my dad listened to AM radio in the mornings while we ate breakfast before he went to the train station. But by the late 70's FM had taken over the airwaves and crackly AM radio was mostly just for news and talk radio and maybe listening to a baseball game or something if you weren't near a TV. I'm sure there was some type of music on there too, but the thing is I don't ever remember seeing car radios that only had AM with no FM tuner, that was unheard of. The first car I remember my parents having in the mid 60's had AM/FM radio that they rarely ever bothered to turn on, and my dad was the cheapest man alive so if he could have saved a few bucks by getting AM only I'm sure he would have.

But yeah when I got my truck one of the first things I did was get a stereo put in it and a few sets of speakers so I could maybe hope to hear it over the road noise. I dropped my trailer one day when I had a few hours to kill while they were loading a commercial kitchen onto it and I bobtailed down to a local electronics store and had it installed. Unfortunately they'd wired it wrong and what happened was the stereo only worked when my lights were on, so I had to stop somewhere in my travels and get that fixed the next time I had a chance. Can't imagine being on the road for weeks living in my truck and not having music.

Of course there have been other times and places in my life where I've had no choice but to let myself be exposed to normie pop music, but I can generally manage to tune it out and let it bounce off so it won't penetrate too deeply into my brain.

11 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I have never been happier to be in actual mortal peril than when I was seeing Overkill live. Blood metal is a  fitting designation. I was about 23, and after that show the entire top half of my right arm was a single massive bruise that looked like severe amputation necessitating vein blackened frostbite.

I heard Bobby in an interview once in the late 80's I guess it must have been, and when asked if he thought Overkill were thrash metal, he gave a response that he didn't really care so much about genre labels, he figured that was for the fans to worry about. But if pressed he thought maybe blood metal better summed up their sound. And I'd refer you to the song Blood and Iron from their debut album where he throws in the line "alright donors, donaaaate!" after the solo when they're returning to the main riff and I guess that's alway stuck with me.

I've seen them tons of times in the 80's since even before the first EP was out. I never kept count but they're definitely the band I've seen the most times. Never broke any bones or had any serious injuries or amputations or anything so I consider myself lucky in light of how many dudes I've seen leaving the hall smashed and bloodied during Overkill shows. I'll never understand why big dudes well over 200 pounds ever thought it was a good idea to stage dive. Back in the day clubs would actually let kids climb up onto the stage and take a running dive into the crowd. (which you rarely see anymore, now we boost dudes up on top of everyone from the floor and outstretched arms propel them towards the stage and the waiting arms of some security guys) And the crowd would part like the red sea when they saw a fat dude preparing to leap and they'd just make a dull thud when they hit the floor. 

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

That's just no good at all. If it wasn't your own truck and you couldn't put some sort of a stereo in it then I would've gotten a Walkman and cassettes or CD's depending on what year we're talking about. Because I'm not willing to spending days or weeks on end on the road 24/7 with no music. Don't know what Aussie AM radio was like in the 90's (or whichever decade we're talking about here) but if it's anything like American AM radio I would prefer the silence. Or maybe I'd just start talking or singing to myself all day until I slowly went insane.

AM radio was actually a thing when I was a little kid, my dad listened to AM radio in the mornings while we ate breakfast before he went to the train station. But by the late 70's FM had taken over the airwaves and crackly AM radio was mostly just for news and talk radio and maybe listening to a baseball game or something if you weren't near a TV. I'm sure there was some type of music on there too, but the thing is I don't ever remember seeing car radios that only had AM with no FM tuner, that was unheard of. The first car I remember my parents having in the mid 60's had AM/FM radio that they rarely ever bothered to turn on, and my dad was the cheapest man alive so if he could have saved a few bucks by getting AM only I'm sure he would have.

But yeah when I got my truck one of the first things I did was get a stereo put in it and a few sets of speakers so I could maybe hope to hear it over the road noise. I dropped my trailer one day when I had a few hours to kill while they were loading a commercial kitchen onto it and I bobtailed down to a local electronics store and had it installed. Unfortunately they'd wired it wrong and what happened was the stereo only worked when my lights were on, so I had to stop somewhere in my travels and get that fixed the next time I had a chance. Can't imagine being on the road for weeks living in my truck and not having music.

Of course there have been other times and places in my life where I've had no choice but to let myself be exposed to normie pop music, but I can generally manage to tune it out and let it bounce off so it won't penetrate too deeply into my brain.

It was mid 90's and I was driving for some one else in an mid 80's model truck. Permanent night shift 8pm-10am, country roads and complete darkness where the only things to keep you awake were avoiding the wildlife and minimal oncoming traffic. That and driving under a full moon with the headlights off trying to navigate by the road reflectors. We never had a lot of radio stations in this country but the AM stations we had were top 40's and oldies mixed together and by the 90's top 40 in this country was 95% pop divas. I did eventually find an all night country station which was an FM relay. It wasn't perfect but silence for that long wasn't friendly either.

Because I was in and out of the truck so often, up to 40 drops on a busy night, walkmans and the like were a pain, and it just got easier to have noise rather than worry about what the music was. There was a couple of stretches where I'd travel 40 odd minutes without stopping and I could get a few songs in and the trip from the last call to the depot was nearly 3 hours so there was a few songs in that but the rest of the time I probably wouldn't have heard a full song so I didn't miss my music completely. I just need noise to break silence.

When I got the long haul rig (two trailers out of the city, hook up to a third at the staging grounds head west to Perth) that was a bit different, we had CD players in those rigs, shit we even had air conditioning! Would have been nice to have MP3 capability to take more music rather than a box full of CD's but just having a CD player was a luxury.

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I heard Bobby in an interview once in the late 80's I guess it must have been, and when asked if he thought Overkill were thrash metal, he gave a response that he didn't really care so much about genre labels, he figured that was for the fans to worry about. But if pressed he thought maybe blood metal better summed up their sound. And I'd refer you to the song Blood and Iron from their debut album where he throws in the line "alright donors, donaaaate!" after the solo when they're returning to the main riff and I guess that's alway stuck with me.

I've seen them tons of times in the 80's since even before the first EP was out. I never kept count but they're definitely the band I've seen the most times. Never broke any bones or had any serious injuries or amputations or anything so I consider myself lucky in light of how many dudes I've seen leaving the hall smashed and bloodied during Overkill shows. I'll never understand why big dudes well over 200 pounds ever thought it was a good idea to stage dive. Back in the day clubs would actually let kids climb up onto the stage and take a running dive into the crowd. (which you rarely see anymore, now we boost dudes up on top of everyone from the floor and outstretched arms propel them towards the stage and the waiting arms of some security guys) And the crowd would part like the red sea when they saw a fat dude preparing to leap and they'd just make a dull thud when they hit the floor. 

Apparently later this year Overkill are playing a carpark out the front of a Metallica gig on a Sunday night. Maybe they can be carpark metal?

DHYANA - Trikaya. Doomy goodness.

FEN - Monuments to Absence . Yeah, baby.

NP - STEVE ROACH - Alive in the City of Angels 2023. Just the kind of dreamy electronic ambience Thatguy likes on a cold damp morning when he is awake and up by himself and doesn't want to disturb the wife or the cat with annoying metal.

I'm going to have to give Thryfing and Tsjuder a go at some point in the near future. I've been so feverishly searching for bands I haven't heard before that I'm not keeping up with the veterans.

NP: Warbringer - War Without End

These guys have a bandcamp with most of their full lengths from after this on it. This is easily their best known album. Makes me scratch my head that I'd have to go to youtube for this one.

10 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I'm going to have to give Thryfing and Tsjuder a go at some point in the near future.

If you like previous Tsjuder, then you'll enjoy the newest album. Probably the best they've done since Desert Northern Hell. Thyrfing has generally been pretty consistent, and the newest one is no different. Doubt it will make anyone a fan if their other stuff hasn't already, but it's good stuff if you're a fan of viking metal.

Fimbulvet - Nach Flammen Sehnsucht

1 hour ago, SurgicalBrute said:

If you like previous Tsjuder, then you'll enjoy the newest album. Probably the best they've done since Desert Northern Hell. Thyrfing has generally been pretty consistent, and the newest one is no different. Doubt it will make anyone a fan if their other stuff hasn't already, but it's good stuff if you're a fan of viking metal.

I do like viking metal, but it's kind of difficult to find an album in that genre that's solid all the way through. My knowledge of it is pretty base level though. I go about as obscure as Drudkh, and even they test my patience on occasion. I was really into the stuff right about the time that Ensiferum and Mannegarm were the poster children for the genre. Of course I enjoy some viking era Bathory and really love Windir, but much further than that and I get out of my depth quickly.

NP: Lantern - Dimensions

Dimensions | Lantern | Dark Descent Records (bandcamp.com)

a1506472468_10.jpg

Can't help but compare this against Below. This is still very good, and really unique, but it feels less weird. Then again, compared to Below almost everything is less weird, and that's really what I crave out of these guys.